Thread: Charging the Booster & Exp Pack to my AO account?

Charging the Booster & Exp Pack to my AO account?

Is there anyway that I can have the booster pack charged directly to my AO account directly? If not, why not, since I am using my credit card for it? Reason, I want to avoid using my credit card on the net as much as possible. AO isn't available in any local stores.

If I could have it charged to my AO account, then why not have it downloadable also? I'm on a high speed fiber optics line, 100 mb/s, so downloading it wouldn't be a problem.

Hmmm... dunno bud, the booster pack is supposedly "too big to download".

The bandwidth costs for sending a 150ish meg file to say 10k people would be... a lot. Probably enough stress to bring down whatever network they're on. Thus, they aren't doing it.
    Intenseheat: Omni MA, ph33r teh ub3r l337
    Preeminence: Omni crat - hopelessly gimped - lost 180K IP trying to reset skills - ph33r teh ub3r t33th
    Omniwins: Omni soldier, always winning

I'm just an ass that happens to be smart.

Originally posted by Intenseheat
    The bandwidth costs for sending a 150ish meg file to say 10k people would be... a lot. Probably enough stress to bring down whatever network they're on. Thus, they aren't doing it.
    The Distribution Costs for sending a 150ish meg CD to say 50k shops would be... a lot. Probably enough stress to bring down whatever existing customers Funcom have left. Thus ,they are doing it.

hehe sorry I couldn't resist

To add on a personal note .. The game is 650 meg , its available to be downloaded , everyone can pretty much say that more than 10k people have DLed it and its still available , so I guess that your Network cant handle it theory, is out the window.
    Last edited by Yorkforce; Aug 23rd, 2002 at 08:48:31.

Originally posted by Yorkforce

To add on a personal note .. The game is 650 meg , its available to be downloaded , everyone can pretty much say that more than 10k people have DLed it and its still available , so I guess that your Network cant handle it theory, is out the window.
    First of all, I doubt 10k people have DLed the game, but that's just a feeling...

Secondly, if the booster pack were to become available for DL, 10k people will try and download it *at the same time*. That's a far bigger strain for the servers than a bunch of people DLing the client over many months.

Then limit the amount of users on your server at once. Not a hard task.

Isn't that what pre-order is for?? you pay for patch now they give you a number. When patch comes up it checks for the lowest number who is trying to get the patch and starts there. If the lowest people on there list aren't on at the begining then it skips over them until they log on at which time they are put at the front of the list. Yes it may mean the late buyers might not get the patch for a day or 2 they will still be able to play AO while waiting. project-entropia used a similar system to distribute their game on a much ****tier network then funcoms.

If the booster is not available for download i will not purchase it. to expensive for shipping.

Okay after this post i went and checked out the pre-order. to get 4 copies delivered(3 for us 1 for neighboor to save shipping) would cost me between $108.91 USD. which is 169.46 CAD just for the boosters. Now lets assume same shipping for shadowlands but 24.99 pricetag. thats 200.58 for shadowlands. So just so we can play with the most up to date features. its 370$ umm not going to happen.... Add in the 45$ a month in subsciption costs and i can get every top game produced over the entire year if not the next year as well. sorry funcom your pricing me outta the game.

REmember my numbers are in CAD not USD. 1 USD = 1.55600 CAD

Oh and the reason for 3 accounts?? hard for 3 people to play at the same time with 1 account so really not a option to only have 1.

Oh wait i even forgot to add in the possible customs feed and associated taxes. Heh add atleast 7% more.
    Last edited by Intrepid; Aug 24th, 2002 at 09:21:25.
    engie + ghetto crowd control + no healing + lowest hp + worst evades + bot who is never around. = worst prof in game

Bump for engie fix

It's even worse for me - I live in a small country where no online shop - including funcom's - will deliver. Which means I'll have to come up with some strange additional schemes just to get this thing here. It'd be SO much easier simply to DL the damn thing and have it charged to my AO account;(