Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Booster price decided

CZ

Can you clear somethings up for us. Look above for the list of questions and responces. Not many seem to like this idea.

Man I hate to flame.....ugh! I have 2 accounts and this is not fair at all, let's see my high chars are MP and Engi..../me thinks do i want land control so I can get ganked...hmmm, HELL NO!!!

I see this dramatically changing guild structures...hell i'm more excited about upcoming patch and land control....

What funcm should, and probably will do

Buy for 20$, u get ur registration key or something like that, you register and u get a month or so for free.

that how is should be, anyways

Lightbulb Man

I bought Ao the dayu it came out and I couldn't get my account even activated cause it said my cd was in use and that they had a problem on the server in. And i didn'\t even get my account for 2 weeks after i payed 60 bucks for the game I payed for a 6month accsess and I quit after about 2.5 because of bugs and what not. Then I read some reviews and things about the upcoming shadowlands and that the game had been fixed up quite a bit and Shadowlands sounded pretty cool and that you had to be lvl 40 to accsess the new areas so I decided to give the game a try again so I activate my account again then a week after activating they announce Shadowlands is delayed and they are gonna release a booster pack simaliar to card games and such. SO at first i thought ok if the content is cool and the price isn't too much I'll get it. Then they just announce the booster is going to be 20 bucks and come with a full version too "To give to a friend or a second account with a free 30 days" But what if your friend doesn't want it and you don't want 2 accounts. That doesn't seem very fair they should either give you the option to get 30 free days on your existing or sell the booster seperate at a cheaper price or DL. I am kinda regreting re activating my account this all seems kinda sleazy if they leave it how they have posted.

Yobtar Rk1 Nano-tech(that i don't ever play) [http://www.anarchy-online.com/charac.../1/name/yobtar]
    Xoxa RK1-Adv(who is starting to kick @$$)[http://www.anarchy-online.com/charac.../d/1/name/xoxa]
    Last edited by Yobtar; Aug 22nd, 2002 at 19:20:27.

Re: What funcm should, and probably will do

Originally posted by akustic
    Buy for 20$, u get ur registration key or something like that, you register and u get a month or so for free.

that how is should be, anyways
    Buts its not, if you don t have an account you will get a free month, if you already have an account you get the booster pack.

THis is a gimmick to get new subscribers and have the player base pay for it.

Only way this might be changed is if enough people complain/cancel over it!

Angry Very sad.

I hope this is a bad joke. 19.99 is about the standard price for expansions for most other mmorpgs. The booster pack isn't even anything on the same scale in comparison to say huge expansions in other games and it costs the same. Which is leading me to beleive if this is the so-called cheap lower price for a "booster pack" which is considered a minor add-on I can only begin to think that Shadowlands will be 2-3x this in price and they will try and force all 3 down your throat at the same time with no options Booster+Shadow+Original. This is an extremely bad marketing move in my personal opinion and is just going to cause a lot of hate in the direction of funcom. You should seriously reconsider having the booster pack alone and purchasable online with an online download making it cheaper. Even more so if you wish to take it to an extreme having higher pricing such as this for a minor upgrade is going to hurt people in small countries where the currency conversion is horrible hense limiting your customer base.

Just my opinion not wanting to start flaming or anything but I think it's an important issue.

Angry the way it was done in ac

and likely will be done here is that the new stuff the booster offers will be patched onto your machine anyway with a monthly patch so downloading it or not is really besides the issue.

wether or not you gain access to the add ons is then decided upon wether or not you entered / linked a certain key to your old account.

why is it so difficult to either:

a) extend the free month to all original subscribers who bought the box.

b) just offer the booster download key to be ordered via email for 10 bucks and be done with it?

as it stands i could care less about the expansion anyway because i care a rats ass about pvp ....

but knowing them they will mix items in there that are profession or breed fixes and so utterly über that you WILL want to have the damn booster.

grrrr
    sept 03 - the day ao was keeled by sl.

gone now. byebye.

OMG, I don't see what the problem is. It is threads like this that make me really start to agree with the "Stop the whining" crowd. And I've done my fair share of whining.

The booster costs $19.99. Period.

That covers the cost of development. Funcom IS allowed to make money. The updated client is thrown in free because there is extra space on the CD and there is no reason not to add it. It doesn't cost any extra to include it. If the client wasn't included, guess how much the booster would cost. $19.99.

If you feel that your $19.99 could be better spent elsewhere, then don't buy it. It is just that simple. (btw I actually might not get it. AO isn't much fun to me right now and I don't know if the booster will have enough to change that)

To the people complaining about new users getting the game (or the booster depending on your point of view) for free: Have you never heard of a special introductory offer? Do you complain every time something goes on sale when you paid the regular price? I paid full price for my XBox. Now I think they go for $200. Should I now whine to Microsoft? It makes good business sense for Funcom to hook as many customers into the regular subscription as possible, even if they have to drop their price to do it.

To quote one of my favorite movies, Aliens: Did IQs suddenly drop while I was away?

Originally posted by Naen
    19.99 is about the standard price for expansions for most other mmorpgs. The booster pack isn't even anything on the same scale in comparison to say huge expansions in other games and it costs the same.
    That is a valid point. (One of the few I've seen here) Even Funcom admits that the booster isn't a full expansion. Charging an expansion type price doesn't leave them any room to competitively price the true expansion.

Umm

Originally posted by Crin
    OMG, I don't see what the problem is. It is threads like this that make me really start to agree with the "Stop the whining" crowd. And I've done my fair share of whining.

The booster costs $19.99. Period.

That covers the cost of development. Funcom IS allowed to make money. The updated client is thrown in free because there is extra space on the CD and there is no reason not to add it. It doesn't cost any extra to include it. If the client wasn't included, guess how much the booster would cost. $19.99.

If you feel that your $19.99 could be better spent elsewhere, then don't buy it. It is just that simple. (btw I actually might not get it. AO isn't much fun to me right now and I don't know if the booster will have enough to change that)

To the people complaining about new users getting the game (or the booster depending on your point of view) for free: Have you never heard of a special introductory offer? Do you complain every time something goes on sale when you paid the regular price? I paid full price for my XBox. Now I think they go for $200. Should I now whine to Microsoft? It makes good business sense for Funcom to hook as many customers into the regular subscription as possible, even if they have to drop their price to do it.

To quote one of my favorite movies, Aliens: Did IQs suddenly drop while I was away?

That is a valid point. (One of the few I've seen here) Even Funcom admits that the booster isn't a full expansion. Charging an expansion type price doesn't leave them any room to competitively price the true expansion.
    That is what we all are saying . It is over priced.
    We can careless if the client is in the booster pack or not .
    Give us a booster pack price and not an expansion price.

Originally posted by Rallarmann
    And, if you think about it, it makes sense. If you do not already own the game, you can purchase the booster and be able to play the whole thing, booster included.

and if you think about it, it dosent make sense to sell a game to someone that already have purchased it. If you already have dished out the $20 for the orginal game, why should you pay for it one more time?
    well if it makes you sleep better, think of it like this you buy the pack and they will throw a backup copy of the game in for free.
    geesh......

~aqau

Re: Umm

Originally posted by LittleTotem

That is what we all are saying . It is over priced.
    We can careless if the client is in the booster pack or not .
    Give us a booster pack price and not an expansion price.
    Sorry to offend. Some people were making the point that the expansion cost more because of the included client and also complaining that new customers would in effect be charged less.

P.S.
    I might have to rethink my point about the booster costing too much, also. I just did a check on Amazon and the Everquest expansion "Everquest: Planes of Power" costs $29.99. $10 less for an AO booster might not be out of line. There are fixed costs with putting a product on the shelf and they can only lower the price so much.

And yes, the booster is as much about getting a new product on the store shelves during the holidays as it is about adding content.
    Last edited by Crin; Aug 22nd, 2002 at 20:59:43.

Re: Re: Umm

Originally posted by Crin

Sorry to offend. Some people were making the point that the expansion cost more because of the included client and also complaining that new customers would in effect be charged less.

P.S.
    I might have to rethink my point about the booster costing too much, also. I just did a check on Amazon and the Everquest expansion "Everquest: Planes of Power" costs $29.99. $10 less for an AO booster might not be out of line. There are fixed costs with putting a product on the shelf and they can only lower the price so much.

And yes, the booster is as much about getting a new product on the store shelves during the holidays as it is about adding content.
    THE PROBLEM IS...that the booster isn't an expansion pack. So, comparing an expansion pack with this booster is comparing apples and oranges.

Fine...funcom wants more customers...great. So, I purchase the game a year ago for $60. I get to beta this game for them for a year until it's actually stable enough to play without crashing on an hourly basis. Now, not only do new players get to purchase the game for $20...but they get a feature that I don't without re-purchasing the same software.

I have buddies that JUST bought the game last month. How does funcom explain to them that if they had waited until December...they would have gotten the booster for free? How does funcom explain to everyone else why its necessary to package the booster and client together?

And then....if people decide to hold out for Shadowlands (if it ever comes) will the booster be included in the full expansion? [THIS IS THE QUESTION I WANT ANSWERED MOST].

I see some funcom supporters on this thread asking funcom to give existing players 1 free month for repurchasing the software. Thusly, a player would only be paying about $7 for the software instead of $20. Good idea...it won't happen.

Funcom wants money. Fine. It won't get mine for this "new" software.

Re: Re: Re: Umm

Originally posted by Borrace
    [B]THE PROBLEM IS...that the booster isn't an expansion pack. So, comparing an expansion pack with this booster is comparing apples and oranges.[b]
    Wrong, it is like comparing an apple to half an apple. They are both additional features to AO that you have to pay to fully enjoy.

And then....if people decide to hold out for Shadowlands (if it ever comes) will the booster be included in the full expansion? [THIS IS THE QUESTION I WANT ANSWERED MOST].
    I don't understand why this concept angers people so when it comes to AO. I plan on updating a few components on my computer. (CPU, motherboard and memory. Yes I know that is just about the entire computer) If I wait a year I'll be able to either buy the same components for a fraction of the cost or buy better ones for the same price. Is that somehow wrong? No, and it is the exact same here. If it bothers you so much then wait for Shadowlands. Early adopters always pay more. Try buying a DVD burner right now if you don't believe me.

I see some funcom supporters on this thread asking funcom to give existing players 1 free month for repurchasing the software. Thusly, a player would only be paying about $7 for the software instead of $20. Good idea...it won't happen.
    Once again, this is not a new concept in marketing. I recently moved and had to sign up for cable TV again. I got 3 months of premium service for free that was not available to their existing customers. (Note to self: Cancel premium service before I get charged for it) If things like this get you all hot under the collar then you are going to have a very stressful life.

There is nothing evil going on here. It is just a company doing business. That is a good thing. The reason you'll have DAoC and SWG as an alternative to AO is because the people behind them thought that it would make them money. If Funcom charges too much or doesn't deliver then you will have a substitute to your MMORPG addiction. That is why I'm not upset. If Funcom produces a great product in the booster then $20 will be a steal. If not, I might just cancel my one remaining account.

Don't worry. Be happy. You'll live longer.
    Last edited by Crin; Aug 22nd, 2002 at 22:16:26.

Directly from AO Online Store

Anarchy Online - Boxed Version
    This is a Massively Online Role Playing Game in a futuristic setting.

Price : USD 19.99
    Anarchy Online - Special Edition
    This is a special edition of Anarchy Online featuring a brand new box design and a bonus CD full of extras: a complete PDF version of the novel Anarchy Online: Prophet Without Honour, all of the beautifully animated story episodes, four full music samples from the game soundtrack, the intro video in high resolution, an updated manual in six languages, as well as never-before-seen concept art and wallpapers both from the initial stages of the game's development and from planned updates.

Anarchy Online - Booster Pack
    The main feature of the Anarchy Online booster pack is the game-play enhancement of Land Control. The box will contain both the entire Anarchy Online game client and the additional features of the booster pack.

Am I missing something here? Where is that 'booster pack' reduced price they were talking about? This is being sold along side a subset of its features at the same cost? I thought the word booster ment an addition to?

Main Entry: boost·er
    Pronunciation: 'bü-st&r
    Function: noun
    Date: 1890
    : one that boosts : as a : an enthusiastic supporter b : an auxiliary device for increasing force, power, pressure, or effectiveness
    Zepto
    President to the Order of Kauket
    NanoTechnician

The pricing was probably an executive decision made by the new president and CEO, Trond Arne Aas, along with the support of the board of directors after receiving input from marketing. The issue is not that the client is included but whether the booster pack is fairly priced? The CEO along with the board of directors must have determined what their bottom line is. You as an existing player must determine what your bottom line is? This is a personal choice for each and every player, and is best left to the individual to decide based upon his or her own finances and principles. What's over priced and inequitable to one player may be reasonably priced and fair to another.

Re: Directly from AO Online Store

Originally posted by Zepto
    Am I missing something here? Where is that 'booster pack' reduced price they were talking about? [/B]
    Well yes I think you are. I am an optimistic fellow. I keep believing that the light will come on and people will let this issue die. There are far more pressing and valid issues to argue over concerning AO.

Here we go again:

Some info from Amazon.com
    Everquest Gold
    Contains the EverQuest game plus all expansions.

Price: $69.99
    Everquest: Planes of Power
    Latest expansion to EverQuest.

Price: $29.99
    The discount is from the price of a full expansion pack not the game. So you are complaining because Funcom doesn't charge more for the regular game. I guess if they were to raise the cost of AO to $70 dollars, charge $20 for the booster and remove the base game from the CD, that would make you happy.

Your missing the point

This is a booster. a small addition that is not enough content to call an expansion.

I would be fine if they raised the price to $60 for the booster and the full game, as long as there was a option to just buy the booster seperately. If there will not be an option then I expect to be reimbursed for the 1 month free game time that I will be paying for and have it applied to my current account.
    Zepto
    President to the Order of Kauket
    NanoTechnician

For the new customer this is a hell of a deal. The latest version of AO with cool pvp enhancements. You can't go wrong.

For the hardcore pvp'er this is also a good deal and a must buy. Whether it's as good as other game's pvp is still to be seen though.

For the non-pvper and current customer this really isn't that good of deal unless the new graphics and sounds are worth $20 for ya.

Two out of three aint bad.
    Fear is the Mind Killer.
    You wasted life, why wouldn't you waste death?

urm, so how big is the booster part of this CD?

My original AO CD is about 670M, the patches are about another 60M. Even combining them I doubt it will be less than 700M.
    An 80 min CD holds 700M. so?

Why not just make it a floppy?

I thought it have new improved sound and textures and other stuff.

Or are they adding 2 CDs into the pack, in which case, why not sell the booster CD as a booster separately.

Seems very strange. So everyone already here gets a spare account with 1 month free on it? Guess that means you have one month care free alt, for transfers, griefing, rudeness, and anything else you wouldn't normally do for fear of being banned.

Maybe they'll allow us to transfer our chars onto the new account so we can ditch the old one and get a free month.

Originally posted by Zepto
    Your missing the point

This is a booster. a small addition that is not enough content to call an expansion.

I would be fine if they raised the price to $60 for the booster and the full game, as long as there was a option to just buy the booster seperately. If there will not be an option then I expect to be reimbursed for the 1 month free game time that I will be paying for and have it applied to my current account.
    Maybe the third time is the charm.

Expansion: $29.99
    Booster: $19.99 (FYI that is $10 less)

You are just getting caught up on the fact that new customers are getting a great deal. They get the booster and base game for $19.99 while existing customers are only getting the booster plus had to buy the base game seperatly.

As I have already stated that is simply marketing to gain new customers. It's called an introductory offer and happens all the time. If you think hard enough I am pretty sure you can think of other situations where new customers are rewarded. In fact I would almost have to say that you would be hard pressed to find a subscription based service that didn't have some sort of deal like that from time to time.
    Last edited by Crin; Aug 22nd, 2002 at 23:50:54.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast