Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Booster price decided

The booster pack is about one thing and one thing only, having a product on the shelves next to the competition.

Now it would be too expensive to do that if you did not assure yourself of a certain number of sales through your current subsciber base.

SO in the end, those who have never played before get to buy the latest copy of AO with the features that were promised and expanded upon before launch and the current loyal fan base needs to buy the whole game again.

[B]NOT ONLY THAT, guess who will get a their free first month a play with the booster packs? The noobs of course![\B]

[B]Seems its easier to catter to noobs then their long time loyal player base who got them this far.[\B]

FC is telling us to bend over and take it, and some of you seem to enjoy that. I don t!

This just makes me sick. I hope FC goes bankrupt and that the business decision takers end up washing dishes in a restaurant!

Sorry for the hateful tell, but I can t beleive how this company is scr**ing us over.
    Last edited by andertec; Aug 22nd, 2002 at 17:37:13.

I'm a little baffled on this booster thing too. I understand paying $20 for the Booster Pack, which also includes the original game media. The part that confuses me is what we do with this new CD key. Is this a key which activates the Booster pack or is it a new Client key? Or is it both? If we use it to activate a new account, will that new account automatically have access to the Booster pack?
    Clan fixer, Fourth Title

Director of Information
    Analog Myth

How about this then?

You buy booster. (and get a new AO key obviously as well)

You go to your account page. Enter/apply the key
    to your existing account. And you are given the 1 month free period.

That would mean 19.99-12.95 = 7.04 dollars.

If they JUST could do that then buying the pack wouldnt be so bad after all.
    Esp considering that the pack will most likely contain um version 15.0 or something on it

What ya think of this idea Cz? Could you pull one of the marketing guys over to look at this thread? Esp this post hehe.

My suggestion would make lots of people happy.

You guys still get a box on the shelves for Xmas.
    New players get the full setup+booster.
    Existing players get the "extra" cash they pay refunded in form of
    1 month free. ain't that a nice Xmas gift?

I beleive that FC should seriously look at this solution. It is fair to all exsisting customers and to new ones. It also still leave the option of handing the key and CD over to a friend and getting them set up instead of us taking the free 30 days. Please, can we get an official response to this idea?
    Zepto
    President to the Order of Kauket
    NanoTechnician

Umm

Originally posted by Mysaad
    Actually, I prefer it this way (client + booster). This will at least give me a hard copy of a fully patched client to reinstall if I ever have to do such a thing. No worries of finding the right patch or DLing all the previous patches to reinstall. (I'm on a dial-up)

I too paid $50 orginally, and I will buy the booster at $20.
    IT is not the point of the money. I have the money.
    The point is there charging twice for the same software.
    I just think after being loyal for all this time they would be a little more considerate. You know how many bad patches we have lived threw. How much xp and items lost to server issues.

I can see where this would be great for a dial up user however, im not one . I should have the option if i want the client in the booster.

I can see it now, 3 months after i pay for two copies of the booster they'll give that option. Of course they will have made there money by that time.

Can't they include the client but if you need extra cd keys you purchase them from the AO site. Be resonable. Most expasions cost $19.00!! This is not an expansion pack this is an inbetween.

Is this cd-key the only one that can be used for the booster .

What bout the accounts we are using now .
    WE better beable to use the booster with our current accounts.
    Last edited by Wahoo.; Aug 22nd, 2002 at 17:44:13.

I have no urgent need to get the booster pack as soon as it is out.

There is a good chance that, if I wait long enough, a second booster pack, or the expansion, or a new full edition of the game will come out which will also cost $20, and include more than just the booster. My guess is that, after enough time has passed/a large enough fraction of the player base has spent $20 on the booster pack, it will be available for less. It's the general trend in video games.

The way I see it, those who will spend $20 now will either be new customers, who will be glad to find out they have access to a complete version of the game, or old customers that will have earlier access to some features that will probably be available for less later on.

Re: Umm

Originally posted by LittleTotem

IT is not the point of the money. I have the money.
    The point is there charging twice for the same software.
    I just think after being loyal for all this time they would be a little more considerate. You know how many bad patches we have lived threw. How much xp and items lost to server issues.

I can see where this would be great for a dial up user however, im not one . I should have the option if i want the client in the booster.

I can see it now, 3 months after i pay for two copies of the booster they'll give that option. Of course they will have made there money by that time.

Can't they include the client but if you need extra cd keys you purchase them from the AO site. Be resonable. Most expasions cost $19.00!! This is not an expansion pack this is an inbetween.
    No the point is they are selling AO with the Booster pack , so the new customer never has to buy the booster pack!

Re: Umm

No it is NOT a great deal for a modem user. Im on 56k in Australia, you will probably never have to take as long as me downloading anything. However I'd much rather download the booster free, than pay this much for additions I will never want.
    Queen of the Ninjas

Slyyk - MUHAHAHA! Old Fixers never die, they just take a different grid exit.

Cosmik - And don't worry, Jorji. We've got FC love for everyone. It's stockpiled and going out the door.

Jorji's art page (some mature content )

zomg she finally got myspace lawls

Re: Re: Umm

Originally posted by Jorji
    However I'd much rather download the booster free, than pay this much for additions I will never want.
    I know I know, this may sound like a CRAZY idea, but how about you don't download it OR buy it, since they are additions you will never want? Pretty swift how that works out eh?

"No it is NOT a great deal for a modem user. Im on 56k in Australia, you will probably never have to take as long as me downloading anything. However I'd much rather download the booster free, than pay this much for additions I will never want."

Erm more specifically

" I'd much rather download the booster free, than pay this much for additions I will never want"

My question is if its additions you will NEVER WANT. Why are you even concerned about it? You dont want it dont buy it. You can still participate in the land control somewhat without it. But thats right thats an addition you dont want. So why do you want to download somthign you dont want?

Hrm your argument is confusing to me now.

Re: Re: Re: Umm

Originally posted by Sarelron

I know I know, this may sound like a CRAZY idea, but how about you don't download it OR buy it, since they are additions you will never want? Pretty swift how that works out eh?
    [yoda]Oh a bright one is this. The logic is strong in this one[/yoda]
    Queen of the Ninjas

Cosmik - And don't worry, Jorji. We've got FC love for everyone. It's stockpiled and going out the door.

No it is NOT a great deal for a modem user. Im on 56k in Australia, you will probably never have to take as long as me downloading anything. However I'd much rather download the booster free, than pay this much for additions I will never want.
    Tell funcom not me ..
    I can careless.

Originally posted by andertec

No the point is they are selling AO with the Booster pack , so the new customer never has to buy the booster pack!
    Well, i still don't see how that fair to us ..
    Do you?

Originally posted by killahsin

My question is if its additions you will NEVER WANT. Why are you even concerned about it? You dont want it dont buy it. You can still participate in the land control somewhat without it. But thats right thats an addition you dont want. So why do you want to download somthign you dont want?

Hrm your argument is confusing to me now.
    Because they claim its sold to make it easier for a modem user. It isnt really all that much bother IF it is just the booster

Now the second part. I belong to a small but growing guild. What happens when most chose not to get it (and I know the leaders will not get it) but other members want to? we lose half our guild? Then teaming... if guilds are focused on it how easy will it be to get a group that isnt in your guild?

Its called forced marketing, pressure placed on ypu to buy something. Just because I chose not to buy it doesnt mean i have no right to have an opinion.

Funcom wants to know customers opinions, who will buy who wont, well Im letting them and you know
    Queen of the Ninjas

Tell funcom not me ..
    I can careless.
    Last I checked this is the oficial forum... guess I am telling them....

*yawn*
    Queen of the Ninjas

Last edited by Sarv; Aug 23rd, 2002 at 15:47:13.
    OT Soldier: Sarv
    My little CH ho: Zitrix

What i cant understand is this:

Why cant the booster pack be download optional?

AO is big, atleast i think ~600 mb is big.
    AO can be bought in stores and downloaded.

Booster pack is gonna be 1200mb or sumthing? is it even gonna reach over 300mb? Seriously, why whould anyone want to pay for a land booster pack when, A, games not finished, and we have already paid for the client. B, See A. C, Go over A-B and then redo C.

I can download AO in 6 minutes, it takes me 30 min to go to the store n buy it, hello give me a option, i will lose time just like the modem players do!! *a dash of sarcasm*

I am not paying out 20$ for sumthing i dont even know if i can play on my regular account, the joy of making new chars to play boosterpack account (this is what it sounds like to me, boosterpack = fresh account, new chars) really makes me sad, as i have spent sum time on my char and rather quit playing than redo it.

Well, i still don't see how that fair to us ..
    Do you?
    Hehe reread his post... he is saying it is not fair to existing customers
    Queen of the Ninjas

I already preordered it for $19.95 but I think this price is a bit too high. I think the most they should charge for this is $12.95. But hey I don't see their expenses and I hope they survive to make more good games.

I'm just disappointed at such a high price for something that is not even a full expansion. I hope they add lots of mobs, items, and cool graphics and sounds to make it worthwile for everyone to buy.
    Fear is the Mind Killer.
    You wasted life, why wouldn't you waste death?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Umm

Last I checked this is the oficial forum... guess I am telling them....

*yawn*
    LOL..

19.99 is BS

20 bucks for something that was supposed to be in the expansion anyway? can you say F@#$Com is not making it in the persistent world industry? my goodness guys thats freakin lame!
    I want the booster for 9.99 not 19.99.
    I DONT WANT ANOTHER CLIENT!
    I JUST WANT THE BOOSTER!

If this does not change then i will not be getting the booster nor the expansion and you can smooch my donkey if you think I will still play.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast