Thread: Valleus' Tale

Valleus' Tale

Name: Grypher “Valleus” Malstia
    Race: Opifex
    Profession: Martial Artist
    Alignment: Omni
    Member of a detachment of the Omni-Tek organization Omni-Trans.
    Background: Taken from an interview with Sotto Mahoney and Tresa Burke for an application into Omni-Trans detachment organization – dated October 17, 29479

Sotto: Okay Grypher, we’re starting the recording. My name is, as you know, Sotto Mahoney. I am the director of operations for our detachment of Omni-Trans. You may call me “Trousers” if that would make you feel more comfortable.

Grypher: Thank you Mr. Trousers, it would.

Sotto: Haha, no no, just Trousers. It’s a nickname. Uh, don’t ever call me Mr. Trousers.

Grypher: Ah, very well, uh, Trousers.

Sotto: Ok, so, tell me your background. We need to know everything about you and where you come from. You tell me you’re not of this planet?

Grypher: Correct, I am from a planet called Sarla.

Sotto: …I see. (Inaudible) Well then, please tell me everything. And if you don’t mind, I’m asking Tresa Burke to join us.

(The faint echo of boots is heard and a door hisses open)

Tresa: Hello Grypher! How’s everything?

Grypher: Very nice, thank you.

Sotto: Cylie! Please, we’re recording, be a bit more formal.

Tresa: Oh, sorry. *clears throat* Well then, Grypher, I’m here to listen to your story. Forgive us if this seems over and above what we normally do, but we’re intrigued as to how you are, uh, not of this planet.

Grypher: It’s quite alright Ms. Burke.

Tresa: Call me Cylie, it’s what everyone else calls me.

Sotto: Please begin when you’re ready.

Grypher: I will begin my telling you how I got my name and nickname.
    When I was born, my tribe had a custom of naming us from ancient warriors in the past. My first name came to be Grypher, coming from a warrior monk who single-handedly united the tribes of my world into one: The Veras. Possessing great mental and physical power, he forced fear into all those who looked upon him as an enemy, yet comforted those who looked upon him as a friend. My last name, Malstia, is the name of the founder of my ancestors and our blood-line. He was a monk that advocated peace in a warring world tens of thousands of years ago.

I used to be a great warrior in my tribe. My nickname, Valleus, stems from the ranking in our tribe. As a great warrior, I had many victories for my tribe fighting a faction on the planet, and was honored beyond my dreams by my tribesmen. I became Valleus at the age of 29. It was unknown when a Valleus was named so young in our tribe. On a planet located on the outer edges of the Milky Way Galaxy, my home world of Sarla was a place where monks like me lived in peace with nature and others of my kind. Technology and science were foreign names to us. Our plans for peace had no room for science as it interfered with the natural way of life. Yet within the past thousand years, a new tribe emerged from within ours: The Amante. They decided to use their physical powers for personal gain. Their leader, Jethro, knew no fear and punished all those who got in his way. This faction was the result of my fame, and yet ultimately, my downfall.

Years ago, I was scheduled to be the next "Lorod" of the tribe due to the last Lorod standing down and living as a hermit in the mountains of Linsothe. However the Amante launched a surprise attack during the initiation ceremony. They killed or captured most of my family and friends, and took control over the Veras. The leaders were executed in public for the Amante followers to see. I can still smell the blood from the beheadings. My skills as a monk were washed away from my head soon after to relieve me as a threat, and weakness overcame me as I lay in my new jail cell for many years. Only recently, people from the planet of Rubi-Ka discovered my world. Wanting to establish ties with my world, the scouts and soldiers of an organization called Omni-Tek sought the audience of Jethro. When they reached the capitol city of Linskeep, fighting broke out as the Amante fought with the soldiers of Omni-Tek. In the chaos, I was freed from my cell, yet as a shadow of my former self. My mind was all but lost, and I was weak from years of near starvation.

My tribe was wiped out during the conflict, and the soldiers of Omni-Tek retreated. Too powerful Jethro was for the scouts and soldiers to handle. I later learned that a war between a rival rebel faction called the Clans, and space alien invasions forced Omni-Tek into a retreat because they didn’t want to waste the troops. I was subsequently taken by Omni-Tek in a shuttle to a space station overlooking the planet of Rubi-Ka.

On the space station overlooking Rubi-Ka, technology amazed me. Implants and devices of all types made my kind look primitive. Transporters, shuttles, fighters, and all sorts of people created a wonderful atmosphere. I soon realized that science was not a problem; it was an answer to all kinds of problems. A warrior who harnessed the power of nature and technology would be truly great. I knew that if I harnessed the power of technology and science, maybe one day I could return to Sarla and challenge Jethro. I would reform my Veras tribe, and bring peace and harmony back to the inhabitants of Sarla. No, not Sarla. I would rename it Sarsala. Science and technology would go hand in hand with nature and peace. A Utopia for all races and breeds. That is a promise I am willing to uphold.

(Silence)

Sotto: Well, very noble. I’m sure you’ll make a fine member. We could use someone of your expertise in our org. Officially, you’re now a member of Omni-Trans. Congratulations!

Valleus: Thank you, I look forward to working with you all.

Sotto: Just one more thing, you said your tribe was on the planet Sarla for centuries?

Valleus: Yes, why?

Sotto: …Nothing. I just wanted clarification for our records. Thank you.
    Last edited by Trousers; Oct 30th, 2006 at 10:02:09.

360 days later

The Opifex are a race created by Omni-Tek. Genetically engineered humanoids, they are often looked down upon by other alien races. Their strengths lie in a variety of professions, most notable the Martial Artists. This is a story of one Opifex Martial Artist, with a past shrouded in mystery…even to him.

Sotto “Trousers” Mahoney and Tresa “Cylie” Burke walked among the ruins of broken glass and running water. The apartment had been torn apart by who knows what. Figurines and pieces of art lay shredded and shattered, and drawers and trash bins lay with their contents strewn about. Usually Borealis was a fairly calm place. Break-ins had been reported before, however not like this. This time it was a kidnapping.

“So is Investigator Marciello coming shortly?” Cylie asked.

“No, he’s busy in Mort right now. Something about a string of murders. Besides, I asked if we could head up the investigation. After all, Valleus is one of us, and I feel it’s better to keep this underwraps.” Trousers replied.

It wasn’t everyday a member of their own organization was kidnapped from his/her own apartment. Trousers and Cylie had received word of the break-in and kidnapping of Grypher “Valleus” Malstia just yesterday. The apartment looked as if a struggle had occurred, and also like it had been ransacked. The kidnappers had obviously wanted Grypher and whatever he had.

“Hey Sotto, take a look at what I found. Apparently Valleus kept a diary. Haha, he even kept a copy of the profile we created on him during his interview!” Cylie proclaimed. Her eyes became misty as she looked through everything.

“Ok Tresa, take that as evidence. We’ll look over it when we get back to the org headquarters.” Trousers said thoughtfully. “In the meantime, take any official-looking documents that you find. Maybe it can give us a clue as to where Valleus was in his investigation.”

At that time, Trouser’s comm began to beep.

“This is Sotto.” After a pause, Trousers said, “Alright, we’ll be right there.”

“What is it?”

“That was Black; he said he just received a transmission from Valleus. Apparently he sent it to us remotely just before he was kidnapped yesterday. He added a time delay to the transmission so it wouldn’t be intercepted.”

Cylie nodded and collected Valleus’ diary and other belongings she felt he might miss once the cleanup crew arrived and cleaned everything out. She followed Trousers towards the entrance, and after the two of them took one last glance, they headed out the door and turned the lights off.
    Last edited by Trousers; Oct 30th, 2006 at 10:01:48.

Trousers and Cylie made their way to their brilliant silver Yalmahas parked outside of the apartment area in Borealis. The hustle and bustle of the city made it clear no one either knew or cared about the events of the night before.

Trousers boarded his Yalm and watched as Cylie climbed into her’s. He decided to flip on the diary and see if he could listen to a part of it on the way back to headquarters. He heard the whine of engines as Cylie engaged her Yalm, and turned in time to see her shoot off into the sunlight, heading toward Omni-Trade. It must be hard for her. She and Valleus hit it off soon after he joined the org. For Valleus, she was someone of his race, which helped their bond grow. Something familiar to give him hope about his people. Trousers engaged his engines, hovered for a little, and turned to follow Cylie towards the city.

Alright, I might as well start listening to this thing. Leave it to Valleus to keep a diary on his adventures. Trousers hit the playback button and the diary sprang to life.

Log #1
    Dated: September 29, 29479

Crash landing into a remote area, far from Omni-1, I was forced to fend for myself against all sorts of alien creatures. Men and women with weapons that shot beams of light fought against creatures of all kinds. It was here that I was exposed to different races and professions. I was struck dumb as I made my way through the various tunnels and pathways around the island.

The people I encountered were very friendly and concerned for my overall well-being. Despite complete anarchy, they tended to me and my questions. I later found these people to be members of an organization called Omni-Tek, the leaders of this planet. It was here I also learned more about a war that has been raging amongst them and a rival group called The Clans. Where I come from, I despise revolts. Sometimes it is needed, however to fight against an organization that tries to protect its citizens from an alien invasion and provide a good way of life is wrong. My tribe was destroyed because of anarchy and strife for power. I refuse to let this organization crumble because of power-hungry radicals.

I soon came to a device people here refer to as a Whom-Pah. Though I am still uncertain at its name, I do recognize that it transports people all across the world. How strange it feels to be split into energy and atoms, and restructured somewhere else in a matter of a few minutes. If that!

Upon arrival at the outskirts of a city called Rome, I met up with a leader of one of the departments within Omni-Tek. This man's name is Sotto Mahoney. He requested to be called "Trousers", for reasons beyond my intelligence. After all, there is no tribal recognition of this name, nor does it have to do with nature or leadership. How strange.

He invited me to join, and I do so willingly. He is very helpful, and gave me a tour of the city of Rome, and its surrounding area. He also took me to Omni-1, the capital city where I was supposed to land. I have yet to fully explore this wondrous city. Director Mahoney also tells me about Omni-Trans. A department that oversees transportation and shipping. I knew I heard this organization somewhere before....I just can't place it.

I decided to join. After all, an organization that deals with the planets transportation must be very important. The only stipulation I had was I wanted to be out in the world. Cities here, though spectacular, are very gray and claustrophobic. Nature is my advantage, and that is where I will train my body and mind, until I am needed by Omni-Trans.

Perhaps another reason for joining is my desire to have access to my old planet of Sarla. Because of transportation and shipping, a path to my return may yet be open to me. I will return one day, and this time, I will return with my newfound friends from Omni-Tek.

*End recording*

Trousers descended into the city as the sunlight waned. It cast an amber glow across the Trade district, making it appear as if the city were on fire. In front of the headquarters, Cylie was waiting with Fletcher “Blackice” Baytos. Trousers descended, cut his engines, and climbed out.

“Alright folks, we’re starting the meeting!” Blackice yelled. “The transmission was originally recorded two days ago, but we just landed the copy a few hours ago.”

“Did you match the voice signature to Val’s?” Cylie questioned.

“Yeah, it’s authentic. Right down to his proper speech. I tell ya, if he didn’t swear he was from another planet, and an Opifex, I would think he’s from T’s family line!” Blackice quipped with a sardonic smile.

Cylie laughed a nervous laugh, and Trousers couldn’t help but smirk either.

As the three of them walked through the halls of Omni-Trans HQ, they went into a separate meeting room. The center of it contained an ovular desk with numerous chairs surrounding it. Video screens were present on both ends of the wall, perpendicular to the door. Trousers sat at the head, with Cylie and Blackice sitting around him.

“Ok Black, show us what you got.” Trousers said as he leaned back in his chair.

Blackice turned on the video screens and the image of Valleus appeared before them. His dark blue skin and jet black hair made him look ominous even to those accustomed to seeing Opifex breeds. His eyes, hidden behind his sunglasses, were actually never seen by anyone yet. He was dressed in his usual black trench coat, and seemed to be speaking from his apartment.

“Hey, you didn’t say it was a video recording! Here I thought you went to all this trouble making sure it was really Valleus’ voice we were hearing.” Cylie said with an eyebrow raised.

“Yeah, well, I still had to make sure there wasn’t anything spliced…and hey you know what, just watch.” Blackice said impatiently.

“Hello my friends at Omni-Trans,” Valleus began. His voice, always the example of calm, was cool and he gave no signs of distress. “If you are viewing this message, then you must know by now I have been taken from my home in Borealis. I can not say much in case this message falls in the wrong hands. I hope you have found my diary. In it contains information relevant to my research into Jethro and the Amanté. You know by now that I have been out of touch off and on. I can tell you now that it is because I have managed to infiltrate a faction associated with the Clans, in the hopes of catching up with Jethro. My diary contains all the information you need, and I hope you find it before they do. Help me attain Inner peace. Exsequor exequor!”

Trousers turned to address the pair seated. “Well, at least we know he expected this abduction. Any thoughts?”

Cylie cleared her throat. “I think we need to get more people involved in this. If we’re going to search for Valleus, we need to get as many people as possible.”

“As many trusted people as possible.” Blackice remarked.

Trousers leaned back and adjusted his cufflinks absent-mindedly. “Alright, let’s name some names.”

“I think we need to keep this inside the board members only. We know they’re trustworthy.” Cylie remarked.

“Agreed Tresa. However I want to bring in Hollowpoint in this as well. I know him personally, and I think he’ll be good.” Trousers said.

Tom Harking, or Hollowpoint, is a soldier for Omni-Trans. It was he who initially showed Trousers a newspaper that had someone calling Sotto “Trousers” because of a comment he made about the lack of pants in an OT uniform. The nickname stuck ever since, much to Trouser’s dismay.

“I’ll also ask around a few friends I know. They’re not from Omni-Trans, but I think they could be valuable nonetheless.” Trousers added.

“Hey, I have another candidate. Some new guy named Bastian Wolfgang expressed his enthusiasm with being in charge of security. Especially since he’s another soldier.” Blackice commented. “Goes by the name of Feyde.”

“Alright, I’ll assign him with Hollowpoint. So far we have the board members, the three of us, Merrenda, Deke, and Binyaman. Also, Hollowpoint and Feyde, along with some candidates who I’ll ask once I’m done in the office. “Any objections?” Trousers asked.

“No”

“Not really”

“Alright, one of our own is out there either in clan territory, or someplace much worse,” Trousers said as he stood. “It’s time to bring him back!”