Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For the Neutrals What now?

Unhappy For the Neutrals What now?

“When the truth walks away,
    who is going to stay?”

To Neutrals Everywhere

And so with the ICC moving into our home, and with two Corporations supporting them, what now for us?
    Will the ICC be a help to us or will it be a new Devil just setting its claws into the blooded earth? Does anyone believe that the two supporting Corporations will be moving the ICC troops for nothing, is anyone that foolish? I would like to think not.

And of Omli-Tek? They must now feel threatened, and with the statement made earlier from Omli-Prime they certainly do. A cornered animal is a dangerous animal and the Omli’s are now cornered. Their Arch-Rivals SOL Banking Corp. must be getting too close for comfort. And I wonder how Mr Ross will show his displeasure? I know it will come. If not from him then from some other of the departments who are the more militant. Omli-Tek may try and force a vote of no confidance, as stated in the press realease today, and on many other Galactic issues they might win, but over Rubi-Ka I think not. The price is too high for the other Corperations. Even looking at the number of votes to get this resolution passed you can tell Omli-Tek are on a loser with that one. Unless they offer every Corpration that back free access to Rubi-Ka, then what the point of the vote.

Now what of the clans? They, well the Council of Truth, have welcomed the ICC intervention, but I wonder just how far they think the ICC will help them. If Omli-Tek loses the contract there will be a new unknown enemy. A more dangerous enemy? Or worse, a fight between more than one Corporation on this planet. With the dust brigade running around Tir like they own the Place and the Council of Truth, er not exactly in control of the situation, and the Council of Aries, well lets face it, not exactly in control of the situation Rumours abound of CoT helping the Dust Brigade and CoA infighting and corruption does it mean Law and Order? Probably not.

And for us? Looks like we are just going to get more trouble from all sides in this?
    As even as I got the news over the newsnet tonight, outside Newland, Omli’s and Clanners were one again using the guards for target practice. At one point no guards were present for over 5 minutes! Will the ICC change this or will they be just the next set of Targets? I feel we should be approaching the Newland Authority’s to get the Guard doubled out of both gates and move the grid entrance to inside the city. Get some engineers to build some slayer droid's to back them up. We need to be secure in our own areas.

And when the ICC arrives?

I for one will not be cheering and dancing in the streets when the ICC Troops do arrive. At last nights Neutral council meeting a vote was proposed to send a representative from the Council to the ICC to discuss “Peace Keeping” forces being sent. I for one would have never voted for it. But now I don’t get the chance. I also believe the vote would have failed, but now we will never know.
    Yet ANOTHER time the Offworlders and the Interferers in the universe have made a decision without consultation with the main body of people it is going to affect! Do they presume we want them! I say to you, all Neutrals out there, even if you would have voted for this move, your choice my have happened, but was it by YOUR CHOICE. No it was not. Choice is why we remain the way we are! Not because some one told you “Hey Buddy your going to be Omli now!” And now what are we going to get? “Watch out for the Neutrals, they work for the ICC.” People I see it Happening.

I may not have answered many, if any, of the questions concerning this situation, but at the very least I hope you will now think on. Remember choice is everything.

Artemis watch over you all

Blackpagan
    NT
    Nanomage Liberation Front

Note – These are my own personal views and not necessarily the views of the NLF. Thank you.

(post repeated in the Neutral Forums http://pub64.ezboard.com/bneutralsofrubika)

Full fledge faction.

The recent events point to one thing... and that is the neutrals are being groom to become a full fledge faction, with equal status to Omni-Tek and the Clans. Why do you think both of them say "... don't intrude into our territories...". Neutrals will now be backed up by real power in the form of the ICC and no longer just a holding orbit untill you decide to become Omni or Clan. You are now a fully recognized third faction.

Unfortunately, I do not think the Neutrals will be becoming a full-fledged "third side" in this conflict. Phillip Ross' comments point to the notion that Omni-Tek has every intention of doing something with the Neutral territories, and I doubt that they will let the ICC spoil their plans. The best we can hope for is that the Neutral cities will have a mixture of guards appointed from all sides to KEEP the areas neutral and safe (After all, you can't off guards from your own side.)

Please believe me when I say I wish things did not have to be this way, but I can truly see no alternative that is better than this. We're heading for outright conflict, and it seems that some morons are determined to keep us firmly on this course whatever anyone else wishes to say on the subject.

Sol Corporation is my friend.

Join the ICC today!
    ;p ,.,.,.,.,.,.,

Sup Martov my man....
    And to answer this, no, we did NOT sign any papers, and hence omni-tek does not own me. Thank you very much.
    --
    The nootie's infamous black joker, Jujuwalker :
    RP profile : http://www.ao-universe.com/tools.php...ion=show&id=74
    --

La censure est la negation de l' esprit. (Censoring is the negation of thought) --Yvirnig
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -- Hunter S. Thompson
    --
    QUOTE OF THE DAY : And remember : you minions SHOULDN'T BE THINKING!

Sol Corporation says:

Kill an Omniserf today, feel happy tomorow.

serf (sûrf) n. In feudal times, a person bound to servitude on an estate. 2. A slave.

Angry Clanners - Rhinoman Cockpit

As if by magic to back up the last (ish) statement in my last paragraph of my first post, one or two clanner's (sorry after the guards opened up I lost track of the world) jumped me as I was wandering out of the Cockpit today. And low and behold the cry went up of "Die you ICC scum" well there we have it folks

End statement

Blackpagan
    NT
    NLF

Spelling again <sigh>

This is the price of factionizing yourselves. I'm sure I'll get yelled at for plugging (sigh) but this is the source of my concern about all the political bustling happening on the neutral stage. As Neuromncer has aptly pointed out, the neutrals are becoming a threat as they band together and there will be repurcussions.

This planet has enough factions and organizations and committees, enough activists and outspoken politicians. I don't fully understand the need to bring yourselves into this mess, but you seem determined to do it. It certainly won't make your road any easier.
    Last edited by Luxxan; Aug 23rd, 2002 at 05:54:50.
    Clan fixer, Fourth Title

Director of Information
    Analog Myth

Three Factions

With the arrival of the ICC on Rubi-Ka under 'peacekeeping' we're going to have three factions regardless. Whether the neutral community is part of that third faction is another debate entirely.

However, as soon as you form an opinion about the conflict in one direction or another you're no longer neutral. Being politically active in a dispute as charged as the Omni-Tek vs. Clans dispute is definitely not neutral!

The neutral coalition is an interesting oxymoron. While from what I can see many of the coalition are preaching that getting involved is a bad idea, the fact that there is a coalition and an indicator that the coalition is a cohesive force (regardless of how cohensive it actually is) means people get edgy and 'paint on' a political view to people who have none.

Ross has already done it and there have been numerous reports of this happening already - in many ways it almost doesn't matter what the neutrals themselves think. If the other powers decide that the neutrals fit into a particular category then they're going to react accordingly.

ICC scum you are unless you can convince people otherwise - regardless of your personal views. If it's any consolation then you can know you're not alone. I'm a big proponent of seeking a peaceful resolution through negotiation and have never killed anyone in anger or for political reason, but to a good half the population of Rubi-Ka I'm just another Omni scum. And in all likihood I won't have the opportunity to present my case to an angry clanner with a gun.

I think the Clans are wrong in doing what they are doing, but repeatedly shooting them isn't going to convince them that Omni-Tek are actually okay as administrators of the planet. And likewise repeatedly shooting Omni-Tek staff isn't going to make Omni-Tek respect the political viewpoint of the clans.

And as for neutrals? Unfortunately you're going to be dragged into the conflict simply by standing around. There are already far too many people that work on the 'you're not our side so you must be the enemy' rule, as I'm sure many of you are already painfully aware. All the ICC thing does is reinforce that - it puts neutrals into a nice group and associates them with SolB.

And remember, what I'm talking about is how the average clan or omni grunt is viewing the situation. Your job is to convince that person with the gun otherwise.

Good luck neutrals - you're going to need it now more than ever.
    Crazynotion - Atrox Bureaucrat, RK1

Formerly posted as Mechanita

Yes, we are in for a rough road ahead, and unfortunately, there are far to few in Omni and the Clans that realize that some of us Neutrals view ICC coming to town as our death warrant.

see the good side!!!

Before:

***Under attack by SMACKGANKSTA****
    (20 seconds later)
    reclaim

--------------------------------------------------------------
    NOW:

SMACKGANKSTA shouts: Die you ICC scum !!!
    ***Under attack by SMACKGANKSTA****
    (20 seconds later)
    reclaim
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    If you ask me, but of course, i'm a very sarcastic man, that's an improvement, since we suddenly get... A REASON!!!!

Even if the said reason is retarded. heh!

Sided people don't NEED a reason to shoot us. They just go ahead anyways in the best of conditions.I went in 2ho the other day as a test. I !@#$ you not, i just gridded in, stood around doing nothing.

It took me 50 seconds to die. And that was after boss Ross's orders.
    --
    The nootie's infamous black joker, Jujuwalker :
    RP profile : http://www.ao-universe.com/tools.php...ion=show&id=74
    --

La censure est la negation de l' esprit. (Censoring is the negation of thought) --Yvirnig
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -- Hunter S. Thompson
    --
    QUOTE OF THE DAY : And remember : you minions SHOULDN'T BE THINKING!

Talking Also...

It should mean more people are gunning for you as well. Think of the time saving - rather than having to wait a whole 20 seconds to get to reclaim you could be there in 5!

You've never had it so good. :/

Ok, first off, going to 2ho's proves nothing. That is a constant warzone where you -expect- to be killed no matter what side you're on. Cases like a neutral being shot in the Cockpit are a different story. Cases of Omni departments organizing themselves into coalitions against "ICC incursionists" is a different story.

Things are not as simple as whether or not you get shot while walking through a PvP happy 25% area.
    Clan fixer, Fourth Title

Director of Information
    Analog Myth

If a CAS member attacks a neutral...

without provocation, get their name and report it to me. I'll see them strung up for it. It is against CAS rules to attack neutral players or guards without provocation.

Originally posted by Luxxan
    Ok, first off, going to 2ho's proves nothing. That is a constant warzone where you -expect- to be killed no matter what side you're on. Cases like a neutral being shot in the Cockpit are a different story. Cases of Omni departments organizing themselves into coalitions against "ICC incursionists" is a different story.

Things are not as simple as whether or not you get shot while walking through a PvP happy 25% area.

Re: Full fledge faction.

Originally posted by Mysaad
    The recent events point to one thing... and that is the neutrals are being groom to become a full fledge faction, with equal status to Omni-Tek and the Clans. Why do you think both of them say "... don't intrude into our territories...". Neutrals will now be backed up by real power in the form of the ICC and no longer just a holding orbit untill you decide to become Omni or Clan. You are now a fully recognized third faction.
    Nope, wrong. CZ or Cos stated that there WILL BE NO third faction in AO. ICC is just story filler. So are the neuts.

Omni-Tek and the Clans will make the difference.
    - Cyrus Cyblade7 Crown
    - General of Redemption

Hooray!

If what you say is true (no third faction) then hooray!

The situation is messy enough with two factions. The ICC do make a great story hook.

I don't think the neutrals can just be 'discounted' without some kind of activity to force their hand. If this does happen I'm guessing a large number will jump Clan but a fair few will probably jump OT as well. Until that happens (and the neutral option is sealed up in the character generation room) I expect neutrals will remain just that. I hope that doesn't happen - the neutrals add an interesting twist to the whole conflict.

From what I've seen most neutrals fall into one of three categories:

1) will become Clan
    2) will become Omni
    3) know full well why they are neutral and can defend their position in the face of waves of propaganda

Talking

I think everyone by now knows i go into category number 3.....

OOC

The problem is that when I started playing this game, I wanted to be a member of what the neutrals are becoming. I wanted to be mostly moderate, mostly unaggressive, pro independence and freedom for the people who lived on the planet, outside of notum or anything else. And, as was intended by the original developers, that side is clan. The clans were meant to embody all opinions which resulted in Omni-Tek not exclusively controlling the planet.

When this game started, neutrals were very far from being considered a side. In fact, side applications beyond QL 12 could only be found in missions, and I actually remember reading somewhere where Funcom says "All players are expected to pick a side by level 11. This just gives them some time to decide." The only neutral shops were basic. Everything in the game said "Why would anyone be neutral? It's just a stepping stone for people unsure of what they want to do."

However, some people decided to play neutral the whole way to the top, for whatever reason. And eventually, their arm-waving was enough to bring in new, higher quality shops. There was already a fix putting in more apps (after like 6 months) simply because many people wanted to switch and were -trapped- neutral.

Now, neutrals are almost a completely seperate faction. And worse than that, the ideas they want to embody are what I was expecting -my- side to embody. What this means is that the clans turn into "extremists" and I am not an extremist. I also can't leave my side and become neutral. So I'm just screwed.

It's all well and good that the neutrals want to make the game their "own"...it's just when they take parts of the game away from others that I get upset. I honestly think all these neutral movements would, by and large, be better as clan and you are removing much of the diversity of being clan by claiming these are purely neutral stances.

-> I believe in non-aggressive means towards peace.
    -> I believe in freedom and independence for the people of Rubi-Ka to live however they want.
    -> I am friends with people both Omni and Clan, because my problem is with the corporation, not it's employees.

How am I different from any other political neutral?
    Clan fixer, Fourth Title

Director of Information
    Analog Myth

How am I different from any other political neutral?
    You went through the door on the right?

OOC:

I wouldn't be surprised if we aren't at the twilight of Neutral influence. I suspect that the recent happenings about in the Neutral storyline were to clear up what has been a very muddy situation. Once it has been cleared up, I won't expect us to be so 'in' for much longer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast