Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Please Read an Exploit Revealed

Please Read an Exploit Revealed

Its really sad to see the state of the game these days. Funcom is very aware of many exploits but choose to do nothing about it. A lot of my friends play EQ and I've spoken with them at great length about how Verant deals with exploits, as soon as one is found the servers are shut down and its dealt immediately. I saw someone using an exploit the other day and reported it and got the jerk treatment from a GM like its no big deal. Its only on the second petition that a different GM responded that the dev team was aware of this and was looking into the matter. Well that was over a week ago and nothing has been done so I feel compelled to post about it here. Last week I was in PM camping claws for Nullity like many sucker NT's out there when I noticed that there was already a level 191 NT there with a level 15 NT. I assumed that this NT was trying to help the lowbie get a head start and get Nullity right away. This 191 NT was actually very nice and we were alternating spawns. After about an hour or so I noticed that this level 15 NT was now level 47 without firing a shot. The only thing that I could deduce was that somehow the 2 were teamed and although its SUPPOSED to be impossible for the lowbie to gain XP from this 191 player that I can hardly team with at 143. I immediately petitioned and recieved a tell from Snuvlur a GM. He was very nonchalant about the whole matter and said that even though technically I was right and that it is AGAINST the teaming rules for this to be possible that there are ways around this and as of right now the dev team doenst consider this to be an exploit.
    To say I was shocked is a severe understatement of my reaction. That was my last interaction with that GM. Getting really pissed off I logged off. Later that evening I petitioned again determined to get some satisfaction. I spoke to a diff GM this time, who actually had the courtesy to appear in person to talk to me. He seemed at least interested in what I had to say and that my information would be passed on to the dev team and that they were closely looking into this matter.
    That at least made me feel a little bit better. But still nothing has been done. How is this fair? If you dont consider this to be cheating Funcom then why dont you just tell us all how to get powerlevelled by someone 180+ above us. To make level 100 in a few hours! What suckers we all are for putting countless hours into levelling our chars. What a waste! This pisses me off to no end and I am cancelling my account. I advise you all to do the same unless you are among the cheaters because they have more influence in this game than do all the rest of us noncheaters combined.
    I didnt include the names of the people in this post(except the GM who was a jerk to me) because I dont want to bash anyones reputation. Lets just say this particular NT is part of a large well known Tarasque camping bunch (not Storm) and I'll leave it at that. When will this cheating come to an end?
    "tYpInG lIkE tHiS or using numbers for letters (D00D!) is not clever, and will get you marked as someone to avoid."
    -Sybex Official Strategies and Secrets of Anarchy Online

146 Nano NT - Ayabe (retired, naked, and penniless)
    33 Opifex Fixer - Nekkidas (orphaned)
    72 Sol MA - Medang (orphaned)
    42 Sol MP - Lilake (orphaned)
    18 Sol Adv (orphaned)
    10 Sol Trader (orphaned)

Unhappy

DAoC also had a no-tolerance for exploits; they would get banned and the exploit would be fixed in an 'emergency patch'. The issue here, I think, is that AO is way too wishy-washy when it comes to exploits. They had a fit when they FINALLY found out about the credit duping exploit and removed our org banks, hopefully not forever.

I've reported an exploit, and much like the response you got, it seemed the GMs didnt give 2 hoots about them. They say 'its up to the exploit team', but who is on this team? Players? Payers? Or people getting paid? Why do they get to decide what is an acceptable exploit and what is not? Shouldn't that be up to the players?

Now I really dont care if someone is PLing another person by using an exploit. It doesnt affect me one bit that some nobody is gonna be the same lvl as me in 2 days when it took me 4 months. Dont worry about those people, they are only here to 'win' and they are gonna be ****ing bricks when they learn that there is no way to win this game. Big surprise there, huh? What bothers me is, why dont they sell their PLing services? If GMs say its ok then why cant we all do it. I mean, share the wisdom guys! I've have some alts that are stuck at 42 and could sure use a 'lift' to lvl 50 for say...200k credits? Hell, you could level someone all the way from 1 to 200 for a hefty sum and make more than any of the dungeon camping guilds ever could.

So if exploits are A-Ok in FC's book then why not let everyone benefit from them?

<checks the exchange for the PLing service>

You know, it's things like this that can eventually kill a team.

What? some peeps powerlvling don't affect you, you say? BEEP! Wrong!
    When people go from lvl to insta lvl 47 or whatnot, that player has no idea of how to play his profession. He does not know what's important and what's not. THAT may one day get your entire team killed. Same thing with e-bay'ers. insta-lvl 1xx. No idea about tactics, no idea about anything.

When a lvl 150-ish player asks you how to target enemies, you should really reconcider teaming with him. (no, this has not happened to me yet), or a lvl 150 asks "what is ncu?" and other obvious things.

Some might think "jeez, what's with this guy, Mmore, as if he's never cheated. Let the dude without sin throw the first rock"
    well, I AM without sin. I have never cheated. I have never exploited. I didn't even use the q-tap, treatmen bug (any of them) complitbug, anything. Ever. Never have, never will.

I will NOT cancel my account, but FC, when you KNOW there is stuff out there that ruins gameplay. Why won't you fix it? Are you simply unable to?

edit: fixed a typo

Well he's right. There is an exploit arround to powerlvl and all you need is a highlvl NT...

Regards,
    Itburnz

They've known about that exploit for alot longer than 2 weeks... believe me.

They've known about that exploit for alot longer than 2 weeks... believe me.
    Yup, sadly enough... But loosers will always try to cheat their way to reach their goals.
    * July 9, 2001 :: + July 29, 2004

I would agree with the GM, I wouldnt call it exploit because its how the game dynamics work, its not a bug. And its gonna take FCs coders a bit of work to fix it. Its just about how AO distributes XP when a mob dies.

As for EQ it was perfeclty possible to powerlevel fast there as well by using high level chars. None ever got banned for that. In fact I dare say it keeps subscriber levels higher because if ppl got max lvl chars they are bored of, likelyhood is they wouldnt start a twink if they couldnt get any help from their high lvl char, but rather had to start all over like a lvl 1.

Its like calling ppl who ran missions for levels exploiters. They didnt, they just used the game dynamics to max advantage. When you get 10k xp for killing a mob or 2mill for completing a mission you can blitz in 1min, its just the game that is unbalanced not the player that is cheating.

Anyways I have no doubt this will be made impossible asap.

its been verified as an exploit by the head of the exploit team a long time ago

I've been asked to help do this several times, and the answer is always the same:

"I didn't cheat to get my levels, you can do the same thing, and I don't help cheaters"

There are often people down at the claw camp asking NT's to do this because of the regularity you see NT's down there. Nullity camping, yay.

Originally posted by Intra
    It was? I'd say let us get a official answer then.

Can verify this too, a NT friend of mine got banned for a short time for powerlevelling a char just like that...
    * July 9, 2001 :: + July 29, 2004

Well running a mission in one minute is a completely different matter. This is not a game dynamic issue, the game isnt supposed to allow this to happen. Just like the game wasnt supposed to allow you to dupe items and credits. Its just part of a disturbing trend in the game. I dont know how many of you read the IRC chat with NikkiDial and a few others talking about how they were dupings items and credits and selling them on ebay. They were laughing at Funcom. Its all a big joke, yeah so they get banned for 3 weeks. So what, doesnt deter them from cheating. Some people arent deterred by getting banned permanently like Garzu, he just made a new char. FC is supposed to present a level playing field for us all, by that I mean that everyone is supposed to play by the same rules. I guess Im just stupid because I dont know how to cheat, or I didnt know about this facet of the 'game mechanics' before. I would never use any kind of exploit to gain anything I have too much pride in myself, like 95%+ of the players who have worked hard to get where we are at.
    "tYpInG lIkE tHiS or using numbers for letters (D00D!) is not clever, and will get you marked as someone to avoid."
    -Sybex Official Strategies and Secrets of Anarchy Online

146 Nano NT - Ayabe (retired, naked, and penniless)
    33 Opifex Fixer - Nekkidas (orphaned)
    72 Sol MA - Medang (orphaned)
    42 Sol MP - Lilake (orphaned)
    18 Sol Adv (orphaned)
    10 Sol Trader (orphaned)

/me looks around

back on the boards cos I got bored at work
    I still dont have time to play yet though

We currently do not consider this to be an exploit. It is a design matter, and we're working on it, but we expect, and would appreciate it if, it isn't taken advantage off in anyway. Naturally, since we have said "currently" - if many people continue to use it and try to abuse it, our consideration of the situation might (ie will) change....
    Earn free game time and play with your friends[/b]

Anarchy Online Community Representative

Originally posted by Cosmik
    We currently do not consider this to be an exploit. It is a design matter, and we're working on it, but we expect, and would appreciate it if, it isn't taken advantage off in anyway. Naturally, since we have said "currently" - if many people continue to use it and try to abuse it, our consideration of the situation might (ie will) change....
    heh....

So if a few people do it, then it is no big deal but if many starts to do it, it's an exploit... Crystal clear...

Sorry Cos but that is one lame reply.

If anyone has been banned for using this 'feature' then everyone FC sees using it should be banned.
    Otherwise it is favoritism.

There is no consistancy in the way that FC handles these situations unless you call random acts of indifference a consistant policy.

Originally posted by Cosmik
    Cosmik, please tell me that somebody hacked into your account and posted this! If not, then I strongly suggest that you read your OWN company's definition of an exploit that is on the ARK pages. You know, the definition that you yourself have pointed to on a couple of occassions. In case you or your hacker's memory is faulty:
    An exploit in the game is a bug or design error that makes it possible for characters to fight monsters, solve quests, or earn money that normally should be out of that character’s reach.

An action either IS or ISN'T an exploit, no matter how many people are doing it! If it IS an exploit, then we expect your company to follow its own policies in dealing with it. We have asked you guys again and again to be harsh with exploiters, yet we see people who have admitted their exploits on this board and/or been caught in-game running around. This lack of enforcement has cost you a lot of paying customers and it will continue to do so!

Your company has been raked over the coals for not dealing with exploiters and having different rules for different players. Your message seems to indicate that both situations have become policy.

Scorus

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast