Thread: My take on the Booster pack with Pudding

My take on the Booster pack with Pudding

Let me start this whole thing off by stating this is an individual argument towards both those opinionated that post on these forums and the company known as FunCom. I would like to hear constructive comments from both other players and the Community Team (Cosmik, Cz, Dai-Gaelen, Gaute) about their opinions on what I provide below. I however do no wish to see flames or harassment directed at me for expressing my opinion backed up with evidence provided from all the sources that I can find in a short amount of time. Since Cosmik has not started the official FAQ I would like to make this the Unofficial FAQ and get the balls rolling in the right direction so to speak.

The last week or two I have seen a fevered debate over whether FunCom broke some sort of business rule or moral ethic by announcing a ‘booster pack’ to which the controversial land control has been mentioned. To recap for those who have not been visiting the boards recently:

----FunCom -- Announced that the booster pack is less than an expansion pack but more than a mere patch to the game. The land control idea which is the major part of this booster is being touted as more than the originally mentioned outpost control. This is the idea that one side can attack an enemy base and upon wiping it out gain control of that outpost and having their guards spawn there to stand watch.

----The players -- Those that posts here on these forums, not all the players but a majority it seems, have expressed their discontent that this is FunCom screwing over the players by forcing them to pay ‘pay-patch’ for an added content that was promised in an envisioned/in-progress page back last year.

There has been a lot of opinions thrown around and a lot of challenges made as to provide proof that FunCom is indeed screwing its paying customer base out of promised content previously mentioned in a pass article. Since no one had provided the information and was hell bent on just crying foul I took it upon myself to scour the internet and find articles, official claims, or actual lawful interventions to lay rest all arguments made by everyone concerning this matter and so to the long tedious part of this post.

Well seeing as how we log onto Anarchy Online and click the ‘I Agree’ button it seems a majority of other business ethic issues are put out. The only thing that FunCom can violate is actual advertising practice ethics or some sort of scam thus fraudulently causing us to lose money (according to the Better Business Bureau). Seeing as how either of the afore mentioned acts have not been committed we are left with the contract we agree to every time we log into Anarchy Online.

E.U.L.A:
    Short for End-User License Agreement, the type of license used for most software.

License:
    1. Allowing an individual or group to use a piece of software. Nearly all applications are licensed rather than sold. There are a variety of different types of software licenses. Some are based on the number machines on which the licensed program can run whereas others are based on the number of users that can use the program. Most personal computer software licenses allow you to run the program on only one machine and to make copies of the software only for backup purposes. Some licenses also allow you to run the program on different computers as long as you don't use the copies simultaneously.

As pointed out by Zacharius to me in another thread:
    EULA #2. To play the Game, you must (a) possess an ANARCHY ONLINE game CD-ROM (the "CD-ROM"), which includes software required for the Game (the "Software") (such CD-ROM may be an original or copy thereof); (b) have a fully paid account; and (c) have an Internet connection (which we do not provide) to access your Account. In addition to any fees described herein, you are responsible for paying all applicable taxes (including those we are not required to collect) and for all hardware, software, service and other costs you incur to access your Account. Neither this Agreement nor your Account entitles you to any subsequent releases of the Software, nor to any expansion packs or similar ancillary products. You understand that we may update or otherwise enhance the Software at any time and in doing so incur no obligation to furnish such updates to you pursuant to this Agreement.

Thus because we agree to the agreement and all have standing accounts with FunCom they do not have to in any good conscience listen to our pleas for a free download of this content.

This upcoming booster pack is of course most likely an enhanced version of the once mentioned Outpost control that FunCom wished to implement upon release of the game but could not fit into their timeframe. Yet, it is enhanced since FunCom did take the whole idea a step further and put the control in the player run organizations. So in essence FunCom has all rights and purposes to market this as a separate product. The EULA is the law when it comes to this game unless FunCom breaks a real world law which HAS not happened.

Now some of you might bring up the fact that other MMORPG are not doing this type of marketing. Well Everquest being the only true product to use as an example (no other games out have an expansion or booster pack out) the only two expansions to be called true expansions are “The Ruins of Kunark” and “The Shadows of Luclin.” I say this because “Scars of Velious” and “Planes of Power” are just pure item patches or zone additions designed to keep the audiences entertained. RoK and SoL had much more content and itemization compared to the latter two. Thus Velious and Planes of Power are borderline booster packs as all they offered were new zones, mobs, and quests. Isn’t this what The Anarchy Online booster pack is offering us? New gameplay mechanics, new graphics, and sounds are already disclosed yet who is to say that we won’t get new MOBs out of this or new content via patches the same day as the release.

Some might even go further as to start citing the others game’s EULA. So I am going to save everyone the time.

Verant, makers of Everquest bears striking resemblance to our own EULA which can be found here: http://eqlive.station.sony.com/suppo...ce/cs_EULA.jsp
    2. To play the Game, you must (a) purchase the EverQuest game CD-ROM (the "CD-ROM"), which includes software required for the Game (the "Software"), (b) have a fully paid Account, and (c) have an Internet connection (which we do not provide) to access your Account. In addition to any fees described herein, you are responsible for paying all applicable taxes (including those we are not required to collect) and for all hardware, software, service and other costs you incur to access your Account. Neither this Agreement nor your Account entitles you to any subsequent releases of the Software, nor to any expansion packs or similar ancillary products. You understand that we may update or otherwise enhance the Software at any time and in doing so incur no obligation to furnish such updates to you pursuant to this Agreement.

Mythic makers of Dark Age of Camelot have the same EULA which can be found here: http://support.darkageofcamelot.com/...YWdlPTE*&p_li=

1. Grant of License
    To play the Game, you must (a) purchase the Dark Age of Camelot(tm) game CD-ROM (the "CD-ROM"), which includes software required for the Game (the "Software"), (b) have a fully paid Account, and (c) have an Internet connection (which we do not provide) to access your Account. In addition to any fees described herein, you are responsible for paying all applicable taxes (including those we are not required to collect) and for all hardware, software, service and other costs you incur to access your Account. Neither this Agreement nor your Account entitles you to any subsequent releases of the Software, nor to any expansion packs or similar ancillary products. You understand that we may update or otherwise enhance the Software at any time and in doing so incur no obligation to furnish such updates to you pursuant to this Agreement.

Basically FunCom is doing what every other manufacturer of a MMORPG is doing just a little differently. Why is there such an outcry as to people claiming outrageous claims that FunCom is deliberately F**king us up the ass and trying to steal our hard earned money when it is clear that they had clear authority as per the EULA we all agree to exercise this course of action. Remember this is an enhanced version of an idea presented to the public playing community a long time ago. The idea has gone so many mutations that the original concept is but a shadow of what is being offered today. Now FunCom clearly must have high faith in us players to come to the conclusion that I have just offered everyone on this forum. Otherwise they would have already posted a more thorough reason given the huge amount of outcry going on about this booster pack. Again I ask everyone who is posting such things as:

A. Don’t buy this booster
    B. OK that’s it FunCom
    C. FunCom screws us again
    D. Booster Pack with Land Control is B.S.

Why do you say these things in light of what I have just given you as the official pudding of why FunCom is going the route of a booster pack instead of a downloaded patch. They do not owe us this content as they never promised us this type of mutated beast in the first place. Perhaps if we hold our breath a bit longer the ancient outpost control will go in a later patch after the booster pack because hell the code will already be there right!
    Wizard's First Rule, people are stupid.
    Wizard's Eigth Rule- Deserve Victory. -Terry Goodkind / Author

My 100th post!

I Am A: Chaotic Good Elf Ranger
    Find outWhat D&D Character Are You?

S.H.Y.E.N.I.A.: Synthetic Hydraulic Youth Engineered for Nocturnal Infiltration and Assassination
    What Cyborg are you?

Well, something I think most people are ignoring is the fact you can already control land in the game. Sure, it's not meaningful.. but the land can be controlled as long as there is a Clan/Omni presence. Which, by the way, in a time of war is.. like, required.. to control land.. troop presense.

From what I know of it now, the booster hold nothing for me.. Maybe after I see the 'new sights'n'sounds' that perspective may change, but seriously.. unless there is something in it that is significant aside from this land control I won't be buying it.. the Booster just doesn't interest me.. neither does Shadowlands for that matter.

Do I think FC is screwing me or lying or any number of other accusations that've been flowing around? No, not in the least.. Anyone who really thinks they've been lied to or whatever needs to splash some cold water in their face and wake up. Get over it.

These towers/mines/whatever will be a griefers wet dream.

Acknowledged and approved,
    Oliewabie
    Entertainer and Rubi-Ka Trotter

Feel free to visit:
    Olie's Arul Saba Store - Gems and Bracer
    Free Champagne and refreshements

You understand that we may update or otherwise enhance the Software at any time and in doing so incur no obligation to furnish such updates to you pursuant to this Agreement.
    I started looking up quotes again and all, but frankly, its not worth my time anymore.

All I can say, is there is a big difference in a cover your a** legal statement and marketing tactics you use to sell the game.

Monthly episodic patches were dicussed at, and before, launch, these statement made me and lots of people buy the game and play 14 months.

Features promised at launch should be patchable material, enhancing an idea to sell is a good idea, as long your original idea is in game.

If you want to know why they changed their idea, its because the servers aren t able and will never be able to hold large scale pvp battles between omni and clan as promised. Anyone that has been to any wars, know that! Reducing pvp conflict to guilds, minimises the problem.

And to those that tell me to quit cause of my opinion, please continue to sink your ship, you obviously dont care for this game or its futur.

I am done on the subject! I give up, its not worth the effort. Let the ship sink!
    Last edited by andertec; Aug 21st, 2002 at 18:31:58.

so your entire argument is that it doesn't matter what funcom advertised, promised, or announced as intented to be incorporated into the game whether it was pre-release or not simply because of the EULA? i just want to make sure i understand your argument...

'cause that's weak. it *may* be a legal argument...but it certainly isn't an ethical one. furthermore, i don't think its a proper legal argument either, at least not one that is intellectually honest. i dont' want to get into the entire legal doctrine of fraud negating contracts, and such...but when you are induced to purchase a product, or continue to pay for a product based on the marketing of certain features...a simple disclaimer that doesn't even appear on the outside of the package of the product doesn't absolve the company from following through....

i understand that this is all pointless because funcom is doing what its doing for whatever reasons its doing it. i don't care if it's doing it for money, or because the patch would have been too big, or whatever. i just know that prior to this booster pack being announced, there were multiple representations by the company that some type of land control (ie. change of control) element was going to be implemented into the game.

i would just like a funcom defender to simply say...

"yes, we realize that is what funcom told us. they may have intended it, but changed their mind. now we have to pay for it."

i would just like a funcom defender to simply acknowledge that funcom made positive representations about the software, and the content that was marketed pre-release and post-release...then never never followed through on those representations.

quite frankly i'm sick of arguing with people about this point. the whole scenario is pointless. the booster pack is coming, and some people will buy it and others won't. i will be part of the latter unless for some reason i have a change of heart.

i just don't understand the blind loyalty the won't allow some people to simply acknowledge that funcom said something about land control, it hasn't been implemented, and you won't get it now unless you pay for it.

bye.

I will say it for you Borrace, it has been a plan of Funcom to release some kind of Land Control for this game for a while. It has never been a firm promise. It was a promise in the way companies make them, as something they are going to try and do. If you actually believe them, you need to wake up. Funcom orignally where going to implement some sort of capture the flag idea, and had it slated for the Summer, but with the OE patch, and Shadowlands, it was put off. Now they have expanded it and decided to charge for it. Personally I will buy it, as I like this game, and in my view, it is something extra. Others disagree with me, and I enjoy the intelligent discussions with some over it .

hugs to all

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

Well my thorough post here was to discredit all the ranters that FunCom was breaking some sort of Business law or False advertising by forcing us to buy a product originally planned.

Now as for the promise of some sort of land control. I cannot find any hard evidence of any postings or developer chat concerning that the previous promise is the same as what is being offered today. If you could come up with links to the actual promises made by FunCom officials instead of just here-say from other players that claim they were there I would be inclined to look more into it. As of now if I cannot find anything linking this booster pack to a previous envisioned/ in-progress promise made by FunCom I am not inclined to write a well thought out post on it.
    Wizard's First Rule, people are stupid.
    Wizard's Eigth Rule- Deserve Victory. -Terry Goodkind / Author

My 100th post!

I Am A: Chaotic Good Elf Ranger
    Find outWhat D&D Character Are You?

S.H.Y.E.N.I.A.: Synthetic Hydraulic Youth Engineered for Nocturnal Infiltration and Assassination
    What Cyborg are you?

Well, essentially they're taking half of the expansion and a few patches and selling it as a product. Fantastic, even Verant didn't have the juevos to do this. Its perfect! Why stay through all hours of the night programming, cut vacation time and sick days? They screwed up, and you'll pay for it.

It doesn't matter what anyone said, when it came to doing the right thing, they didn't do it. Eventually there will be new competition out there and a good portion of the people will remember this. So when subscriptions fade and FC wonders why they don't have loyal customers, they might finally realize that you have to earn that loyalty.

I may not like this, but like many others I'm stuck. This is the only non-eq MMORPG out there right now, but not for long...

Goddamn...

These towers/mines/whatever will be a griefers wet dream.
    ...there goes my third pair today.

Talking Re: My take on the Booster pack with Pudding

Originally posted by Shyenia

E.U.L.A:
    EULA #2. To play the Game, you must (a) possess an ANARCHY ONLINE game CD-ROM (the "CD-ROM"), which includes software required for the Game (the "Software") (such CD-ROM may be an original or copy thereof); (b) have a fully paid account; and (c) have an Internet connection (which we do not provide) to access your Account. In addition to any fees described herein, you are responsible for paying all applicable taxes (including those we are not required to collect) and for all hardware, software, service and other costs you incur to access your Account. Neither this Agreement nor your Account entitles you to any subsequent releases of the Software, nor to any expansion packs or similar ancillary products. You understand that we may update or otherwise enhance the Software at any time and in doing so incur no obligation to furnish such updates to you pursuant to this Agreement.
    It just struck me that according to this it is illigal for us to play if we have a downloaded copy of AO instead of owning a cd-copy (no matter if we got it in box or as bundle in game magazines).

Bwahahahaha!

Wonder if FC thought of that when they started to allow downloads?
    Troll Commando, doing the dirty work that need to be done.

hehe you just have to write a cd of it before you can play

hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

Talking

Originally posted by lilnymph
    hehe you just have to write a cd of it before you can play

hugs

lilnymph
    Now, that is a funny thought since you don´t need the cd in the computor to play the game.
    Troll Commando, doing the dirty work that need to be done.