Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: IPreset WARNING: this may sound harsh

Ok Cool

I think I can agree with what you are saying but... In protest of having to "reallocate" all the IP again and wasting the time to do so! It may be minor but I am allowed to gripe my opinion.

"there is a reason literally more than half the playerbase quit in disgust."

The quote above? There is no documentation that I know that states this fact you posted! If so please point me to it I would like to see it

Thanks
    Ok so why?????How so??? Or maybe what? Stay tuned!

Re: Ok Cool

Originally posted by IronIce
    I think I can agree with what you are saying but... In protest of having to "reallocate" all the IP again and wasting the time to do so! It may be minor but I am allowed to gripe my opinion.

sure, having to re-allocate will be a waste of 15 minutes;
    having to re-equip all my crap will be worse, the timers on
    the belts/ncu .. ugh .. getting all my implants back in ..
    and there'll be a huge mob at the surgery clinics unless
    FC comes up with a better way to do it ..
    (maybe the ip reset also triggers the surgery clinic effect
    of 'supervision' and +100 treatment? .. should last longer tho)
    i know how much it's gonna suck.
    but it doesnt suck as much as PvPing against someone
    with almost infinite IP .. and it doesnt suck as much as
    rerolling a high level character just bc FC changed the rules.

personally, i've been pretty unaffected,
    but my argueing this cause is more a matter
    of right and wrong / fair gameplay for all
    than for any personal gain . .

"there is a reason literally more than half the playerbase quit in disgust."

The quote above? There is no documentation that I know that states this fact you posted! If so please point me to it I would like to see it
    ok, so im right in assuming you werent around from the very start?

i would say half the playerbase is a very conservative estimate.
    but of course i have no numbers as FC doesnt release them.

my comment is based on observation;
    and after the mass exodus (the final straw being patch 12.6)
    the cities were total ghost-towns and whole guilds were
    collapsing, everyone was "the only one out of my friends still playing",
    and the games future appeared in serious jeapordy.

what was so horrible with 12.6?
    well.. it wasnt even the patch that made it live that was so bad.
    (even tho many awful bugs were included)
    it was the patch on the testserver that started it all.
    the subject was overequiping again and FC was toying
    with the idea of all weapons and armor dropping
    to inventory if you fell below the reqs to use it.
    this was the 'straw that broke the camels back' for most players,
    after putting up with so many rule changes this one was just
    too huge a blow to stomach.

people werent quitting because of the disconnects or the lag;
    they quit because it's impossible to play a game where the
    rules keep changing.

if the new players could only read the old boards ..
    (they were wiped btw, then wiped again, now some is 'archived'
    but not the really vicious early stuff with all the angry players
    trying to warn the euros against buying the game)

this was a not a nice place . .

I stayed.. bc I really love this game ..
    and I felt it had enough potential that
    if they could only get it to the point where
    it should have been at release,
    AO would be amazing.

It is at that point now .. it was close enough to that point
    by the euro release that AO got its second chance and
    the game now appears to be thriving again.

but the players who stuck it out from the beginning
    really deserve to be given a second chance too.
    right now, they are stuck with characters designed
    for a different set of rules that no longer apply,
    and that's just unfair and not any fault of their own.

People quit after 12.6 because the game was not playable. Monsters would turn invincible in battle and your group would die, even to an easy monster. It took Funcom a long time to fix this situation -- much much longer than it should have. A week or more of invincible mobs is enough to make people think that the programmers are completely incompetent and that's not a good thought to have when you have seen dozens and dozens of bugs that need to be fixed. To have such a major bug exist for so long with no action pushed many people over the edge. Even after they fixed that they had "Take it easy" for weeks, another very annoying (but not nearly as annoying as npc invincibility) bug. I don't think it would be an overestimation to say that 50% of the customers were pushed overboard by patch 12.6. Of course it was not just that single bad patch that they were mad about, but it was the straw that broke the camels back.

I GARUNTEE that if there is a wipe it will be mandatory, A VOLUNTARY WIPE WILL NOT FIX THE EXPLOITS and they are the main reason for the reset, and anyone who thinks it is going to be voluntary is day dreaming

Day dreaming, or maybe we just read what the lead programmer said, that it would be a voluntarily IP reset, if they ever do one. But hell, what does he know, you're THE MAN.

</irony>

Rk1 :: Abasin :: lvl 72 clan nt
    Rk2 :: Illuvatar :: lvl 154 omni nt

Disagree

The reason for a re-set is to help the players overcome the nerfs that Funcom unilaterally threw at us. My parked Adventurer would like to have his IP reset so those dark blue multi wield points can be spent as light blue and I'll be on a par with Adventurers made after the decision to change skill colors.

My parked pistol packin' dual wield soldier - a perfectly good legitimate choice when FFAs and dual wield were as they should still be - he would be viable if he could convert those 3 or 4 useless skills he maxed for 50 levels. Poor choice? Nope - it worked quite well until nerfed. After nerf = impossible.

Exploiters? Bah! they only cheat themselves. I want my time/energy back that Funcom took from me. Just for the principle. Just because it's the right thing to do.
    "Life is too short to drink bad ale."

Thumbs up IP Reset all the way

Okay,

Well as someone who has played AO since day 1 and has stuck it out despite all the nerfs and rule changes I can only repeat what has been said.

This issue is NOT primarily one geared towards dealing with exploits as far as I can see. This is to allow players to adjust their existing characters to the way the game now functions - for those of you that were not around in the beginning I can only say that the game is radically different than it was.

I personally have thousands upon thousands of IPs in skills that are no longer of any value whatsoever that I would like to put in skills that were once useless but have since become very important (evades, for instance).

I like my characters. I am used to them. I have no intention of every rerolling even if there is no IP reset. You can call me a wimp for not wanting to reroll OR you could realize that I have spent months and months working on my various characters and it only seems fair that I should not be penalized for FC's many (and I mean MANY) changes in the game system over the months.

A lot of people are very settled in the game right now. For those of us that are RPers and/or settled members of guilds or guild leaders we don't want to start again. Those of you who say "well, just reroll" obviously have a different style of play. That is fine and it is valid but for those of us whose characters are established, rerolling is just not a viable option.

err.. ranting.. sorry... i do that
    "Woe unto those who would tempt us from our path. Woe unto those who would defile the the Spirit in transgression against Him. For them I shall show no mercy. Such is the will of Bantz"

Originally posted by Illuvatar
    When you also look at how backpacks have been working, at least up till now, all backpacks has had the same size as Small, so anyone who upgraded Adventuring to equip a larger backpack, has wasted a load there.

Anyone actually put ip into adventuring to equip a backpack? And you want funcom to give you back the ip just because you messed up and wasted ip in a skill that 99.9% of the players instantly identified as a useless skill? Give me a break..

Lightbulb IP Reset and IP +/-

I've been most interested in this since I first heard about it. Many other games suffer because they make the ability/stat desicions permanent. I suppose the market thinking was that if you get people to reroll, they will play the game longer. Unfortunately, people only have so much time to play a game and they won't play a game that is fraught with frustrations (or cheaters/exploiters).

I like the idea of both a reset and a modified leveling system which would allow you to increase and decrease skills 3,4,5 points per level:

1) A wide IP reset to clear the extra/unintended IP from people who either intentionally or unintentionally gained more IP than they should, and to balance the game for everyone after removing certain items (e.g., rings). This is the only logical thing you can do, especially when so many people were taking advantage of the bugs.

2) Allowing for an increase/decrease per level would allow people to develop a character over time, and keep them interested in that character and playing. They may eventually put in profession switching, and if you did at level 30, you would have to slowly develop the new character, by slowly changing your IP allocation. This really strengthens the idea of playing a character's life, and will cut down on all the overhead that every gaming company has to contend with: managing 1,000s of accounts, many of which are skeletons that have been abandoned because of a misclick.

Ecce

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123