Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marooned

She stirs from her slumber.. she feels heavy in heart...

*beep beep* *beep beep* her commlink blinks at her...

"Yes?" she speaks into the microphone...

"We need you in Pande.. things are getting out of hand.." her trusted advisor speaks..

She yawns not even dressed from last nights hunt.. "Ok Chi.. I will be right there.. just need to find my stuff"..

As quickly as she can she gathers her armor, weapon and items and heads out the door.. soon she arrives at the garden of aban stone warping inside then garden hopping to Pande..

"ok all get ready for assault they have gotten crazy again...... seems Sagi is trying to take down the stone.." Chi commands the clanners gathered. "Get into Formation and prepare for insertion.."

She quickly tries to cast her nanos as people start heading into the fray. Half buffed she joins them figuring she will buff on the run.. The first wave of deranged creatures decends on the party.. "all attack Hisia" Chi calls as the combined forces work to disable the beast... it drops.. and the next is called... the entire time her mind elsewhere.. Performing special training combat maneuver after combat manuever she works to disable the onslaught.. Soon enough Sagi is found and the party decends on it.. blades whirling.. blasters firing.. finally the raid is stopped..

"whooo hoo" one member exclaims..
    "alright we stopped it.." another chimes..
    "good job everyone" Chi commends..
    "checking her gear she strays from the party.. not really feeling like she served any purpose.. just another chopper.. just another raider.. her comm light blinks..
    **Beep Beep** **Beep Beep**
    Curiously she looks to the small device.. and presses playback as everyone works their way back to the stone.. It is from her dearest love... her eyes brighten.. as if the whole world stood still..

"Dearest Xaun, I don't know when I will be coming back to Rubika.. or if I ever will.. Do not wait for me.. for I am gone now.. There were things beyond your control that lead me to this destiny.. maybe one day I will see you again.. but most likely not.. yours Cathy" the playback comes to an abrupt halt.. only steps from the stone she freezes.. her body perpiring and shaking... her eyes well up she hits replay.. and hears the same message again.. entering the garden while everyone divides up the loot from the hunt she stands in shock.. she looks around.. realizing no one but her heard the message.. her eyes close.. accidentally squeezing the tears from them to trickle down her face.. she collapses to the ground..

"Hey boss you alright" Chimx inquires..
    She looks up at him unable to speak..
    "you don't look so good.. come on down by the lake.." he helps her to stand and guides her down the path.. the two sit for sometimes as she sits staring at the reflections in the water..her eyes constantly streaming of tears..
    "you want to talk about it?" Chi hopelessly tries..
    Silently she shakes her head slumping down lower.."I am going away" and with that she stands and walks away..
    Bewildered and disappointed Chi sends her a final comms message.. "I did not work this hard for you to give up.."
    "I will be back.. some day" she says as she exits the garden to Jobe.
    "Kas, you there" tears streaming down her face..
    "I am here M'Lady" Kasdeya replies..
    "Meet me at my home.. I have a matter to deal with" Xaun says with the last strength in her.
    Apon entering the dimly lit Lux the two sit and talk for awhile as Xaun explains what has transpired..
    "she is gone.. I am not sure if I can handle this.. I am going to be leaving awhile.. My heart is broken.. and I am unfit to lead in such a state.. you have the heart this clan deserves.. so I entrust it to you.. treat them well and they will treat you so.. They deserve the best and one day I shall return.. Until then.. you are now their leader." She passes her seal of the Aethyr Knights to Kasdeya.
    "I understand M'Lady" Kas responds..
    Xaun looks over her shoulder one last time as she gather the last of her provisions..
    "Maybe I will find some of the answers I seek out there in the Shadowlands.. maybe not.." turns and exists her home for the last time..
    Solemly she walks to the portal taking her as far as anyone has traveled.. She tightens her cloak around her and turns around one last time looking at her way home..
    "I love you all.. I hope you understand.." she sighs heavily "Oh great divine give me strength that one day I may return" sobbing she turns on her heel and begins walking down the desolate path into the great beyond..

The young adventurer stands motionless, watching Xaun walk off into the distance. Sighing slightly, she wonders what kind of heart is cruel enough to destroy such a strong woman. Frowning on the thought, she turns away, allowing a single tear to roll down her cheek.

"Goodbye, and godspeed."
    Verdelet "Kasdeya" Vetis

Feeling as tho she is being watched.. she slowly walks along a twisting and dilopodated path leading up a mountain to what appear to be ruins or a shrine of some sort. Her inner curiousities and childhood love of archealogy get the better of her. As she nears the end of the packed ground for the softer soil of what lies ahead she remembers why she choose her profession. Her brother, Indigo.. oh how she missed him, having lost him at a young and impressionable age. Always noble always the hero, she feels she pales by comparison.

Her mind passes over several memories of them playing together he always had a thing for swords.. fashioning them out of what ever simple materials could be found in the trash heaps outside borealis.

"Hey sis over here" the young boy of 17 exclaimed as he tried to pull an actual sword from the refuse.. "help me with this"
    "what is it?" the even younger girl of 13 curiously stated as she tries to climb up to where he is.
    "I think its a real sword" continuing to tug at the handle which is caught in some filigree wiring a discarded mesh coat and some nano recycler units.
    "A real one?" she exclaimed as she neared her brother and started to try to move the other objects out of the way vs just pulling on the handle.
    "I think so sis.. hurry up.. help me with it" pulling the sword loose slightly as she moved stuff out of the way.
    "I am you silly bean!" she giggled as she untangled some of the wiring.
    The two worked together to finally free the object from its resting place and in her eyes her brother seemed like the boy king of legend King Arthuur as he raised the sword up over his head triumphantly.
    "what are you two doing there" a short rather portly Atrox inquired as he approached them.
    Looking nervously at the small trox the two suddenly wondered if they had done something wrong.
    "Just found this in the heap sir" The boy spoke for the two.
    "My my that looks like a real weapon you got there.. you aren't going to hurt yourself are you?" The Atrox continued. "Ever used a real sword boy?"
    "No.. No sir" he replied.
    "Well.. I just so happen to know how to use them myself.. I am an Adventurer after all" The Atrox said rather proudly.
    The two children tried to not laugh obviously judging this book by its cover.
    "You do?" The children chimed in unison.
    "Mhmm I sure do.." as the Atrox produced two swords and skillfully twirls them about.
    "WOw" the two wide eyed children watched.
    "Could you teach me... I mean.." The young boy stammered looking on with curiousity.
    "I might just do that. But.. I could use a little of your help in return. You see I collect depleted energy cells for my weapons shop. If you gather up 25 of them for me I will take you on as a pupil.
    "You will?" The boy exclaimed with a gleam in his eyes.

Xaun's memory being interrupted by the grumbling in her stomach as she realizes she has not eaten in some hours. She reaches into her back pack and pulls out some wrapped dried meat she prepared from her last hunt a few days ago. Picking a few pieces out and eating them she thought of the luxeries of the city and how she finds herself missing them. Her mind drifting to her family her clan.. her friends of whom are likely quite worried about her. But she hoped they would understand.

Finishing her paltry meal she strides forward on her path she always felt like she could get lost in her own home so she really had no good idea where she was. She was horrible at navigation and often professed as much to her friends in a party.

Nearing the ruins she saw in the distance she notices some creatures lurking nearby on her HUD. She scans the area and determines that she can take them so long as thats all there are nearby. Slowly she approaches them trying to not draw all of their attention at once. Two immediately notice her and lunge in her direction she backs off to a safe distance hoping to not draw more attention and strikes the first one down in mid air and evades the attack of the second. The creature makes a second pass and she parry's its attack crippling it and then finishing it off in a fell swoop of her large sword.

Moving in to get the attention of the next two she is startled by a ghostly figure which appears in the center of the ruins...
    Last edited by Xaun; Jan 6th, 2007 at 00:54:43.

"Thats the last one" the small boy proclaimed pulling the energy cell from a discarded and badly mangled piece of machinery.
    "So are you really going to learn how to use a sword from him Indy?" the young girl carrying a bag of cells inquired.
    "Did you see the way he spun them around? It was amazing.. I can't wait till I can do that" Placing the cell into a bag the two began to head off down the dusty road leading back to Borealis.
    "But you know mother and father don't want us to get involved in the fighting." The small neutral child reasoned.
    "Who said anything about fighting. Just cause we are Neutral doesn't mean we are weak or that we have no right to defend ourselves." The two continued conversing as they strode back up the street into town.
    "Will you protect me Indy?" The girl said with a certain pride.
    "Of course I will Xaun.. I always have haven't I? I will always be there to protect you.." The memory fading as a tear enters the corner of her eye.

The tall strong Keeper stopped in her tracks staring at the ghastly figure in the distance. Her attention distracted long enough for a Caleth-El to get the drop on her from behind sinking its sword into her side. Wincing from the blow she stumbles to the side as it pulls the blade from her and looked to repeat it with another. She quickly moves to block the blow with the flat of her blade. A second Unredeemed moving in on her location.

Gathering her thoughts as her adreneline surges through her body she takes a defensive stance and waits for the disgusting creature to circle back around on her as her aura begins to regenerate her wounded flesh. Luring the creature off balance by side stepping its assault she plunges her blade into its neck the blood spurting out spraying across her face. Her agile motions hindered by her tender side she faces off against the next beastly unredeemed challenger.

"You want to kill me you defiled beast..well come and get me!!!" she lunges...
    Last edited by Xaun; Jan 6th, 2007 at 00:53:02.

Holding her sword in her hands as it connects with the body of the Unredeemed scourge severing it in two... sweat trickled down her forehead. Having a healing factor greater than the average person did not mean the injury nor recovery was without its pain in the process. Oh how she wished he were here. The events of the last night before fate brought her to the clans passed through her mind her confidence engorged with the fury of her stance.

"Again" the older adventurer stated watching the boy try to control his blade.
    "But Master Toga, I can't seem to keep a hold of it." Indigo stated in disparity.
    "Here let me show you again." Toga took the sword from the boy and twirled it on its end then caught it expertly. The boy most humbled by the skill of a short rotund Atrox running circles around him.
    "Just hold the hilt like so..and then flick your rist and be sure your fingers are ready to grasp it" the adventurer handed the boy back the sword.
    "Now try again". He said as the boy tried again failing then again only to catch it not perfectly but enough to merit reward.
    "I did it!!" The boy clammored.
    "Aye, you did. Well done. Now try again. Get it 5 times in a row and we shall move on to something else."

Indigo continued practicing as the young girl sat off to the side watching her mind picking up every little detail. Her little hands twitched and flickered about as if the sword were there for her. After completing several attempts before finally getting five catches in a row Master Toga was already preparing the next trial.

"So, Indy, I see you have gotten your lesson down today. I am quite glad, indeed. You are showing great promise." The Atrox turned his attention on the young Xaun sitting silently to the side watching. "Do you too have a desire to master the blade?" The young girl froze.
    "Meeeee?" She nervously replied.
    "Yes, you.. Are you not already performing these actions in your mind?" The Atrox stated knowingly.
    "I.. I.. I dunno..." the girl of 13 responded.
    "She doesn't want to use a sword she is just a girl." The boy responded for his sister. "Besides our mother and father would kill us if they ever saw a weapon in her hands". he continued.
    "Why is that. I know a few fine snipers and even martial artists whom are women. Quite a few better than any man I have known.
    "Because they don't want that kind of life for her.. And I don't either!" The boy wrapped an arm around his much younger sister. "She is going to become a doctor or better." Taking the charge as he felt was his duty. Being young neutrals growing up in a land dominated by war was never easy. The boy had come to feel himself the protector of his sister trying to teach her and watch out for her.
    "I.. I am going to be an archeologist!" The young Xaun replied. "I want to study the things that brought us to here." she smiled proudly.
    "See, she doesn't want to use a sword." The boy tried to drive his point home as if he had known something which he did not.
    "Ok, Ok.. if that is the case.. I just saw a glint in her eye as she watched you and thought I knew what it was."
    "Shall we continue then Indy? Ah.. actually it is time for me to depart. I have a meeting to attend with some collegues. I am getting that big shipment in today. Lets meet up tommorow and we shall continue your training. Bring with you 10 Neutron Adapters and that shall cover the fee." The Short Atrox began fumbling about with his things as he prepared to leave.
    "Yes Sir Master Toga. I will keep practicing all night till I rest." The boy seemed to try to make up for some self imposed shortcomings he saw that no one else did.
    "I am sure you will Indy. Some day you shall be a great Swordsman." The Atrox peering at the young girl. "And I am sure you will become a great figure of destiny young Xaun. Where ever your path may lie." With that they exited the building and parted ways.

Taking a moment to catch her breath and let her wound close up she panted. Her muscles rippling from exertion... She quickly scanned her HUD for more enemies and saw none nearby and began creeping closer to the ruins. Her mind continuiously searching for the ghastly figure but seeing none. She wondered. Was it real? Was it her immagination? Was she going nuts? Was she ever going to find her way home...?

Apon entering the ruins she noticed the Characters of Divine Writings enscribed on the walls and sat down finding no threat nearby and pulled out on of her prize books from her bag. A modern guide to translieration of Ancient texts. Character after character she did her best to find meaning in the words. Some seemed lost in the meanings of the ages and yet others so prophetic in word.

"A world split by two factions, dominated by hate. A past of destruction, a fickle finger of fate. Destiny in duality, no room for a third. The dance of damnation. The last friend of man on this world."

She sits an expression of sorrow resting apon her lips. She jotted down the inscriptions and then took a rubbing of them and stowing in her gear.

"HUD, night 5x magnify x1" her eye reticles adjusted bringing her surrounds in better view. The dank ground with an erie mist apon it. The walls tattered and defamed. Narrow corridors leading in a labrynths guile. She ran simulations of her destinations trajectory but came back with a simple answer.. She was just going to have to figure it out for helf.. as she turns off her navigation assistant and ventures deeper into the mosoleum of regret.
    Last edited by Xaun; Jan 6th, 2007 at 00:52:36.

Cathern stepped back and looked at her work. Electronics and computers came easily to her but this was way out of her league. During her months on this isolated planet, she found an old cluster of buildings. From the look of it, it was an old Sol Banking listening post, one that obviously been discovered by someone who did not want it there. Most likely Omni-Tek but Sol Bank had other enemies that could have shot up the place. For all Cathern knew, there might even be indigenous people on the planet but she had not seen any evidence of it.

The tangled mess of wires and parts looked like a pack of leets tore into an electrical junkyard but Cathern had her hopes that her labors would bare electronic fruit. She was able to salvage some of the electronics from the outpost along with what useable from her crashed ship. With it, she repaired the station’s old transmitter. It was hooked into the deep space antenna, which appeared to have escaped damage. The power cells from the ship were nearly flat so she’d likely only have one or two tries to get it right. If this did not work, she was out of ideas. Taking a breath, she flipped the switch to turn everything on. Her jury-rigged transmitter powered up smoothly enough. She rapidly keyed in her message then hit the transmit button. A second later the message upload light blinked, then confirmed as sent. Cathern powered down the system again. She was taking a big risk. After all, Omni-Tek were likely to be the ones to pick up her distress call, if anyone did at all.

***Deep Space Emergency Channel Opened – Unencrypted Broadcast***

This is Rubi-Ka currier ship “Greyhound Racer”. Attacked by aliens enroute to planet Narvik II. Crashed on unknown habitable planet. One survivor. Unable to receive signals. Communications damaged. Send help.

***Deep Space Emergency Channel Closed***

[Well, LE is coming out and after some thought and some persuasion I have pre-ordered it. Not sure how much I'll play but I'll give it a shot I guess. After all, I have every other pre-order item, may as well get this one too....just in case.]
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

Disheartened, Cathern had sent the emergency signal again the night before when there seemed no response from her first broadcast. The juice from the tired batteries gave out and she had no way to give it another try. She resigned herself to eating roasted amphibians that this living swamp of a planet seemed to have in abundance for the rest of her life.

The smoke from her small cooking fire drifted up into the evening sky. The eviscerated and spitted creatures began browning over the fire. At least they did not taste too bad though with a bit of quality ****e she imagined that they could be quite tasty or so she tried to convince herself. What had been happening on Rubi-ka in her absence? The low grade war seemed to about to heat up before she left but that was hardly a new occurrence. Xaun and Raicheal almost certainly would have moved on by now. How long can you pine for the dead after all? Cathern sighed and turned the spits.

At least she had the buildings of the deserted outpost to live in. The roofs didn’t even leak too badly from the frequent rains. A swamp has to have rains to keep it wet and miserable after all. Still, it was a decided improvement over the broken hulk of her ship. “How long does it take to become senile?” Cathern wonder out loud. “As long as it takes for you to start talking to yourself”, she said to nobody but herself. Cathern paused and giggled at the absurdity of the situation and shook her head. Maybe she could make one of the little creatures running about a pet of sorts to keep her company.

The fire snapped and popped, the evening air magnifying the sound. The insects were buzzing about like normal but at least they didn’t seem overly interested in her tonight. Odd she thought, the buzzing seemed to be getting louder and less insect sounding. Yes, definitely not bugs this time. Cathern scanned the air through the large breaks in the trees around the outpost. Her heart began racing, hoping beyond hope that the sound was man made. The sound grew louder and then there it was, a small craft hovering over her encampment. Cathern waved and shouted with glee, not caring who was on board.

The craft picked its way through the trees and started its landing on an open patch near the outpost. Turning its nose from Cathern, her heart dropped. Emblazoned on the side of the hull was the most hated symbol of oppression in the galaxy. Omni-Tek had found her first it seemed.

[Still trying to get the heart to play again. Logging in on an alt and finding that there was no mech in my inventory ticked me off. I paid for the game so I will play it, just might be a while yet while my anger subsides.]
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    -Whisper's Edge-

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Vixentrox View Post
    [Still trying to get the heart to play again. Logging in on an alt and finding that there was no mech in my inventory ticked me off. I paid for the game so I will play it, just might be a while yet while my anger subsides.]
    ((Ditto.))
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

[ I would like to say that you two are IMO two of the best RP'rs I have gotten to know and would like to thank you for your beautiful piece of work. It has really brought tears to my eyes for the heartache you write is so real I find it hard to think this is not happening somewhere. anyways.. please keep up the awsome work and come back we miss you]
    ~ Roger "Shadowset" Garanti (Member Clan Assembly)
    ~ Andrew "Boomtastic" Domtar (Member Clan Assembly)
    ~ Ta "Bloudless" Butcher (Member of the NLF)
    ~ Caviler "Cynotor" (Member of the NLF)
    ~ Chef "Ironox" (Member of the NLF)

Public files on Shadowset
    Ironox and Cooking with Iron!

The young girl was entranced by the distorting visuals of her surrounds as she watched it being altered by each droplet of water on this dismally bleak rainy day in Borealis. The two children sat almost patiently waiting for Master Toga to return to his shop and give Indy his lesson. The young girl was always facinated with the surface properties and textures of the environment definantly not the least of these being reflections and refractions. Her eyes unwavering in their focus to try to catch each new angle momentarily captured by a single droplet the two talked as they waited.
    "Where is he? Its not like Master Toga to be late." Indy said slightly frustrated.
    "Maybe he is trying to teach you patience Indy. You know mother always tells you to be more patient." The young Xaun did her best to rationalize the current situation and get Indy to laugh.
    "Heh.. Maybe, but usually he likes to watch me make my mistakes to point them out to me. Maybe he is around here hiding and watching me and laughing." The boy for the third time scanned the surrounding area trying to find the short rotund Atrox that had become his teacher and trusted friend. For the last 8 months each day the two children gathered various items from the junk yard and brought them to the bustling business lane of Borealis and learned about sword play. The young Indy first hand but the younger Xaun never missed much as the shiny swirls of swooshing metal seemed to hold her attention better than most things.
    The boy sat back down and rested his head on his arms folded across his legs saving his strength for Toga's arrival. The girl still sat staring at the puddle a darkness blocking the silvery reflection highlights. She suddenly jumps as a large para-military boot comes merciless crashing down into the puddle splashing the muddy water on both of the children.
    "What have we here.. little gutter rats loitering?" The Omni-Pol officer spoke a deep baritone voice from under his black armored helmet. "Planning on causing trouble hmm?" he folds his arms across his chest.
    The boy leaps to his feet shaking the water off.
    "No sir, my friend owns this shop, Mr. Toga, we are wating for him to show up". The boy shows the bag of items they have collected for him. "See we bring him spare parts from the junkyards to be refurbished".
    "Mr. Toga? Ah you mean that Atrox piece of trash..." The Pol laughs at the child. "Well if your waiting on him you'll be waiting a long time.. he won't be coming back." The man flips open his datapad and presses a few buttons.
    "Mr. Idandol Toga, arrested for smuggling, illegal arms dealing and spying for the Clans. Sentence, insurance cancellation and termination." Flips the datapad closed.
    "Are you both Clan sympathizers too hmm? Or you planning to sign up for Omni-Employment like good a good little boy and girl?"
    The boy rather upset at this point exclaims "We are Neutrals! We don't want anything with you and the Clans stupid war" But at that very moment the mind of this nearly of age boy began to question so many things. Why would they believe Master Toga to be a clan sympathizer. What had he really done. Where the Clans right? Is there a reason to fight Omni? Was he really dead? Choked up but refusing to show it he held it together as the young Xaun's eyes began to fill with tears.
    "Now if you two would come with me we have some questions to ask you".
    "Come with you? We are in Borealis this is a Neutral city you don't have authority here. And our parents will come looking for us." The boy feeling filled with anger and malcontempt for the Pols and as a result Omni as a whole.
    "Your parents?" The Pol laughed. "What are they going to do? Hmmm?"
    The boy looked at his sister with a look he often made when he knew he was going to do something stupid. Then he turned and began run sending a comm signal to Xaun. "Run home and wait for me there tell mom and dad what happened".
    "Hey you stop where you are!!" The Pol commanded and chased after the boy through the busy crowd allowing the young girl to slip away after all it was the boy he wanted.. he was old enough to be a danger or involved and must be held for questioning.

Her mind wandered as the dank walls of the ruins brought with it the most putrid smell emenating from deeply within. The shiny glimmer of rocks wet with moisture in a hellish plane of a world caused her to wonder...
    What is down there.. perhaps a burial ground.. maybe something still living.. Only one way to find out she thought as she slowly crept deeper...
    She could not help but find her heart still reaching out to her beloved and yet she tried with in the same thought to push it out of her mind.
    I must keep going.. I have to get over this.. But how? How do you get over loosing someone you love..
    "Xaun are you there?" a staticy voice broke through her comms link silent for so long.. "Xaun, I don't know if you are reading this.. but.. The message was a fake! It wasn't Cathy!"
    She froze in place her skin crawled as she heard the voice coming through the comms link.
    "I took the liberty of running some comparisons and passed it through multiple layers of noise filtration.. Xaun if your reading me.. please come home.. Cathy is still out there somewhere.. It was not her voice you heard!!"

[thank you *smiles* tis nice to know someone is enjoying it ^_^ I had just finished writing this before I saw your post too.. enjoy ]
    Last edited by Xaun; Jan 6th, 2007 at 00:48:07.

Several months had passed since the day her brother changed.. The day he lost his master.. our friend.. Togo..

This young girl whos face had begun to show the maturity beyond her years sat watching silently as her whole life changed before her eyes.. Her father had recieved an message one day and the whole house felt ripe with a mixture of emotions. Her fathers was easily read, happiness and elation but a bit of paternal and matrimonial need.

"I will be fine" he said on more than one occasion to her mother.
    "..but you know new explorations into the unknown leaves room for danger.." her mothers quivering lips would say at the oddest of times the rest of the week. She was not happy about it not happy at all.. but she tried and smiled even when you could feel the cold edge to her words.

Then it came.. and the rosey stained glass windows of a childs mind become a myriad of shards cutting into every thought with.. Why? But.. and then the reflections of her own selfishness whipping across her face.. like wet hair on a windy day.. She swirled of self pitty..

While, her father left and worked most days out of the week she had become used to a lack of his presence. His, teaching career had done well. He had taught in history, biology, gave lectures on archeology and even anthropology in his time. But her brother.. Why must he leave to? Her father, Professor Sheng Miyamoto sought refuge in the neutral populace to find shelter from the wars, unlike his father who died in the Clan / Omni wars, so that he could follow his pursuits of the mind. But her brother? Leaving? This bothered Xaun to no extent and she begged her brother to stay.

"Please Indy, why must you go?" the girl of 14 pleaded..
    "Someone has to go to watch after dad and make sure he doesn't get lost." Indy spoke proudly.
    "..and just think Xaun. You'll be here to make sure mom doesn't come up with any hair brained schemes to give the neighbor ladies a heart attack." Indy chuckled enthusiastically as he ruffled Xaun's hair...
    Xaun couldn't help but smile at her brother. He had grown alot since that day. He was more protective of the young girl.. and she could not help but enjoy it. And now he was going to be gone.. protecting father.
    "I decided to make my own path Xaun.. Something new. I entered the Keeper training program." Reached out and pulled out his Tier armor and sword packing them to ready and leave.
    "It will make me better able to look after dad and other people going on this expedition" she could sense the excitement in her brother. Something troubled her and she had yet to place it other than the unknown..
    "So whats a keeper do exactly?" the gears of her inquisitive mind began to churn...
    "Well, father says I have chosen the path of a The xiá (俠)", her brother used an ancient Chinese term and concept that refers to a righteous person who excels in physical combat and who uses their armed expertise to protect the innocent and right social unfairness or injustice (鋤強扶弱). Such a person is said to possess "martial virtue", wǔ dé (武德). Xiá could be roughly compared to "chivalry" or 'heroes/heroines". and similar in part to (and often translated as) the Western concept of knights and knighthood.

"He will honor his words; he will definitely carry out his actions. What he promises he will fulfill. He does not care his bodily self, putting his life and death aside to come forward for another's troubled besiegement. He does not boast about his ability, or shamelessly extol his own virtues." her brother recited in the ancient tongue of his fathers fathers as if directly quoting a thousand generations of ancestors.
    "Father said that after I told him of my choice. He went on to say that by honing my internal training of the nanites it gives me the control to enhance others. That it is some symbolic gesture of giving to others. I have never seen dad so bewitched looking." her brother prattled on in reflection of the conversation with their father. Hearing of her fathers happiness for her brother helped ease her mind. It was an honorable path. She paid respect to her brother by smiling brightly at his words and permanently let this image of his proud moment be captured in her mind and is often the moment running through her head when she thinks back on him randomly.

And so she sat listening the coming days as both her brother and father prepared to make their exodus from her life. Forever...

Stunned Xaun stood frozen from the words that came across her radio.. Were her ears playing tricks on her no.. her mind.. yes it was playing tricks.. the dankned feeling of this ruin had over come her.. yes thats what it was.. she boldly took two steps down the chasm before her mind interrupted again. "But could it be true? Might that message have been faked?" the questions began bombarding her from every side. She sank down the rock wall beside her and pressed her head into her hands and fought to hold back tears.. Her mind sank inwards..

"Mother have you heard from father and Indy lately?" The girl of almost 16 inquired while folding some laundry beside her.
    "Yes sweetie. Your father spoke with me last night and said that they have made a new startling discovery in the shadowlands. It would seem some ancient people lived there before us.. he seemed quite excited about his findings with the other explorers. Seems Indy has saved three people who got seperated form their party." The young Xaun heard the trepidation in her mothers words and having heard a report the day before of a group of bodies being found badly maimed from the exploring parties she felt no comfort at this thought.
    "Well you know Indy always the over achiever.." her mother laughed breaking the mood.
    "So how is your training going I heard you have begun to study the sword as well?" her mother questioned her directly.
    Blushing the young Xaun replied..
    "I uh.. well yeah. I figured one of us had to be able to defend ourselves since father and brother are away." she resounded proudly as she spoke.
    "Well what makes you think I can't defend myself or you for that matter?" her mother stared down the tip of her nose her eyes showing her age only in the crows feet at the corners.
    "You? You can?" Xaun spoke with certain awe.
    "Indeed I can", she continued as she stood from her perched kneeling position and made her way to the cubard and flung it open to display a long hilted sword with a red tassle hanging from the tip. The blade slightly thicker at its end then the hilt.
    "My father like your fathers father was a fighter in the clan and omni conflict the old wars. There are few of us who were not trained to fight even at a young age. I think it is good that you learn to defend yourself. Even with the padded life of a Neutral you still must walk down the streets, you still must watch over your shoulder. People are not always nice you know" the young girl sat smiling to learn this from her mother as if by her growing of years is being recognized and some ancient wisdom going to be passed.She sat feeling a certain peace and calm flow over her as her mother moved in a beautiful kata swirling the sword around in the old way the way she saw in picturebooks.

Her eyes focused intently on the wall of the ruins. An emotional invasion gripped her as she forced herself to push past to see beyond.. The slight persperiation on the wall trickling down around a small engraving. She studied it and focused on it her mind beginning to meditate. The attempt to block it all out to focus on nothing to regain the present...

It was the day of her 16th birthday her brother and father were to both return this day for her party. The neighbor kids and some friends from school showed up with their mothers whom all sat gossiping as if no one could hear them if they looked directly at each other.
    "So I hear Indy's quite the hero now Meng" one lady intoned..
    "He is indeed" her mother smiled realizing some of the stories of his heroics had trickled down the pipeline. Most of the ladies were not of oriental decent so their view of things was quite different than her own. Her mother met each of their double eged questions with the grace of a diplomat.

Then a knock came at the door "excuse me one moment please" she smiled as she left, Meng stood and strood for the door leaving the women to continue to talk amongst themselves.

"Why do I fight?" resounded through the inpained Xaun alone and distraught. "What am I fighting for?" "Who is the enemy?" "Who is a friend?" "What is most important?" "What is the goal in the end?" she struggled as she surpressed her inner turmoil searching for peace.

"Sheng, Indy!!" her mother happily proclaimed as the two came through the door her brother still wearing his armored suit and father in his some what goofy but highly practical gear and attire.

The ladies all whispered to each other about how her brother looked in his armor with his shiny sword. The young girl just giggled to herself and watched on in splendor. She didn't mind not being the center of attention at this moment it had been the first time seeing her brother since he left. Quickly after hugging his mother Indy found Xaun in his view and made his way to her picking her up and swinging her around.

"Indy!!!" the girl squeeled as she clung on around his neck as she spun about. There was laughter and the celebration truely began. Sometime after the party she finally got her brother alone and the two sat out under the stars on the roof top.

"You have no idea how magnificint it is there Xaun, there are sights I can only begin to explain. The first area was immediate ruins few nasty spirits and the Lord and Lady. We made it past there and there are these little birds.. and then the other birds. I mean like two totally opposite types of the same creature its facisinating.. Its like there is a break down of life in the SL into thirds. There are some creatures that thrive on consuming and others on conserving.. and then those that have no regard for life and just kill indescrimenantly.. Those are the enemies to all we found in this.. this.. brink.. it has some very nasty things nearby.." for several hours she heard about the wonders of the shadowlands through the eyes of her brother.. she marveled at his stories of discovery and adventure and couldn't help but feel a bit jealous. She spoke of her sword training which at first caught a little backlash about her other studies then she told the story of her mother and the two had a warm laugh.

"She really did that huh? I am not that surprised she always did love stirring up trouble" he chuckled laying back on the roof top crossing his arms behind his head on this particularly star filled night. She mimicked him laying back and a pleasant silence fell to place..

No longer able to contain it she begins to weep...

Three weeks later a particularly drab rainy afternoon she sat reading a book of folklore regarding old customs her mother working in the kitchen cleaning this and that then a knock at the door came. While she may never really know exactly what happened on the other side of the door between her and her mother what happened there after has shaded her path ever after. Her strong mothers hand trembling as it closed the door. Her proud mother collapsing to the floor defeated. The tears trailing down the valleys of age down to her cheeks and chin. The ancient plate of jade carvings shattering on the floor as the news was delivered of her mothers son's death... her brother.. her Indy was gone..

The craft settled into the tall grasses, mashing them flat.

Fight or flight…fight or flight…

Cathern paused, her normally decisive mind slow to react. Doing neither fight nor flight, she stood there watching the craft. The months of isolation won out and she resigned herself to dealing with whatever came out that doorway. The craft powered down and the door opened, the pressurized air giving a slight hiss as the swamp air rushed in and the scrubbed air rushed out. The natural denizens of the swamp had gone silent.

Out of the craft bounded a smiling and very handsome, middle aged man. He was oddly dressed for an agent of Omni-Tek. In fact, he looked quite the dandy. He wore an odd green cap with a feather in it, deep green trousers that seemed to shimmer in lights from his ship, and shirt of bright yellow that looked freshly pressed. His face was adorned with a shortly cropped beard and mustache. He wore a belt with a holstered pistol on it and his right hand was resting on the holster. His left hand waved. “Hello there”, he said loudly. Cathern blinked and waved. She tried to speak but the words were caught up in her throat. “I’m Jokkum Nyborg and welcome to Narvik II, though from the looks of it you’re quite ready to leave”. The man spoke with an odd accent but was easy to understand. Cathern nodded her head and finally regained her voice. “I’m Cathern Flowers, and I am VERY glad to see you indeed. Cathern ran her fingers through her somewhat tangled hair, all of a sudden quite conscious that she must look worse than a leet who rolled in a pile of dung.

“You are Omni-Tek?” Cathern enquired calmly, using her best poker face while trying to assess if the craft contained other people. Jokkum gave a hearty laugh and responded back, “Are you?” Cathern replied, “Would it please you if I were?” Jokkum’s hand slid over the flap of his pistol while his eyes kept locked on the disheveled woman before him. “No, that would not please me much at all.” He paused a second then added, “Still any female company isn’t totally unwelcome.” Cathern let out a sigh of relief. “I’m not Omni….though your ship would indicate that you in fact, are.” Jokkum clapped his hands, laughed and walked closer. “I won it….in a game of chance. I’ll wager…that the fellow who lost it is in an Omni Reform prison somewhere getting educated on the ills of gambling.” Cathern smiled and couldn’t help but giggle as a wave of relief washed over her. “For a moment I thought I was going from marooned in a swamp to an Omni prison when I seen the logo on the side of your shuttle.” Jokkum looked back at his ship and pointed to the markings. “That there little logo is great for smuggling things…..as is the cryptographic gear and codes inside the ship.” Jokkum walked back to the doorway of his ship and started to head inside. “Welcome aboard Cathern Flowers, former Council of Truth Staffer and retired leader of Whisper’s Edge clan. You are most welcome.” Jokkum winked his left eye and headed inside. Cathern was stunned for a moment then followed, saying, “Hey!!!! How did you know who I was?” The denizens of the swamp were again chirping and buzzing their evening tune.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    -Whisper's Edge-

Kissysuzuki -

Looking at the doorway Cathern decided that Jokkum didn’t hear her question. She repeated herself louder, “How did you know who I was?” Jokkum popped his head back out, smiled broadly and said, “You coming Ms. Flowers? Or would you perhaps rather stay out here in the muck and make friends with the creepy crawlies?” Deciding that for good or ill, it was better to go along with Jokkum for now. If he had ill intent she could always figure something out later.

Cathern stepped through the doorway of the craft and peered inside. The craft looked like it hadn’t been cleaned in months. Empty wrappers of various snacks littered the floor. There was a distinctly odd odor inside which permeated everything. Cathern scrunched up her nose. Noticing Cathern’s reaction, Jokkum laughed and said something to the effect that his maid took the year off and to grab a seat. Cathern went to the co-pilot’s seat, picked a wrapped off of it and knocked a crust from a Hoot Pizza onto the floor. Looking mildly disgusted but hardly appearing better then the mess inside the craft, she took her seat.

Jokkum hit a button and the door to the craft closed up. Jokkum started getting the craft ready to fly. There wasn’t much to it but Cathern tracked his every movement…..just in case. Jokkum smiled and turned to Cathern. “Ready to go?” She looked back and nodded her head. “Absolutly!” Jokkum winked then eased the ship off the ground. Up and up they went, several hundred meters over the trees. Jokkum hit a display and holographic and three dimensional representation of the plant appeared. Jokkum pointed his finger into the hologram then it zoomed in on where he pointed. “Destination”, Jokkum said. The ship responded in a feminine voice, “Destination locked in. ETA is 35 minutes.” Jokkum nodded then looked at Cathern. “Got to hand it to the Omni, they know how to build things.”

“So, how did I know who you are? That’s an easy one.” Jokkum opened a compartment and brought a couple of wrapped candies. He opened one up and popped it into his mouth. The other he offered to Cathern who accepted and quickly opened hers up. Following Jokkum’s example she tossed the wrapper to the floor. She savored the sweet taste while he continued talking. “I am a…merchant you see so I visit many planets. Smugg….err…selling and buying goods on different planets means you need to know the various political goings on. Don’t want to have a nice valuable cargo scooped up in a sweep and being accused of aiding revolutionaries or violating planetary import restrictions.” Jokkum reached into the compartment and pulled out two more sweets, offering one to Cathern who gladly accepted. Jokkum continued his explanation. “I’ve made quite a number of runs to Rubi-ka. It’s a volatile place. But that can be good for profit as long as you keep current on what is what. I had seen your picture from your work with that Council. I also had heard in my last trip that you had gone missing, or perhaps into hiding. I didn’t think much of it till my commo gear picked up your distress call. Of course, I didn’t know it was you then but I did some checking. I had a friend get me information on the Greyhound Racer, your ship. That’s how I found out it was you who had chartered it. Good thing too! You look a fright and not much like the beautiful and stately woman from the photos.”

Cathern messed with her hair, still very conscious that she looked horrible. “At the back of the craft is the head if you need to use it”, Jokkum commented, noticing Cathern’s discomfort with her appearance. “Thank you, I need to clean up a bit.” Cathern got out of her seat and headed to the back of the ship. “In a few minutes we’ll be at our destination, can take a hot shower there. I’ve also taken the liberty of getting you a set clothes” Cathern opened the door to the head and went inside. It was messy of course, and cramped, but there was a clean rag and towel hanging next to the sink. Cathern turned on the water, filled up the sink, lathered up a rag and went to work getting off the worst of the grime. Things were beginning to look up she thought to herself. A smile crossed her face then she dunked her head into the sink.
    Last edited by Vixentrox; Jan 17th, 2007 at 18:57:25.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    -Whisper's Edge-

Kissysuzuki -

“So, tell me again, what we are waiting for?” Cathern asked Jokkum. They had been at Jokkum’s hideaway for several uneventful days. “As I said, I need some parts for my craft before taking an inter solar system voyage. You wouldn’t want to be marooned on another planet now would you?” Jokkum gave his charming smile. Continuing he added, “You are not bored of my company already are you?” Cathern shook her head and said, “You would be in a hurry to get home too if you had been stranded alone for months too.” Jokkum nodded, conceding the point. “My supply drop off should be any time now. I already had these parts on order so they should arrive with this drop.” Cathern gave a little sigh and went back to trying to catch up on events. There was a lot she had missed though most of the news she accessed from Jokkum’s terminal was Sol Bank oriented.

After arriving at Jokkum’s place and getting cleaned up, she had requested to send a message back to Rubi-ka. Jokkum said that was an impossible request. He was wanted by several of the hyper-corporations for his “legitimate but misunderstood” trading practices. He wanted to keep his base secret and of course, a broadcast by one Cathern Flowers would surely draw Omni’s unwanted attention. Cathern had countered by saying she had sent those distress calls earlier. Jokkum told her that her calls for help were far too weak to be picked up from very far. He had barely picked up her signal as it was. So Cathern had busied herself helping clean up the mess Jokkum tended to leave about and catching up on what news she could. Jokkum seemed quite pleased to have someone to talk to and of course, to pick up around the place. Cathern certainly wasn’t used to being a domestic servant since her days in the prison mines, but it was the least she could do to repay her savior.

Jokkum’s compound was well hidden in a very large cave in some moderate sized mountains. The whole planet wasn’t a vast swamp after all. It had been shielded to prevent the power signals and other electronic noise from being picked up from orbit. There also were some automated anti-personnel and anti-shuttle cannons about the place, “to ward off claim jumpers” Jokkum explained. There were large containers of everything from perma-kill weapons, to rare ****es, to priceless art and exotic perfumes stacked here and there. The whole place was mostly austere though he did seem to have a never ending supply of junk food and well made, if bright clothes. Those seemed to be the luxuries in life for him and he spared no expense on them.

Jokkum had been willing to talk a little about his life. He had been married once though his wife ran off with another when she tired of his space-faring life. He had been the captain of a merchant freighter going from system to system and was often away for months. Years later he had met another charming woman who stole his heart. She would always join him on his space travels. In the end though, she had secretly taken to smuggling. It ended up costing the unawares Jokkum his ship when it was boarded by Sol Bank reps. He managed to talk and bribe his way out of trouble but the ship was still lost as was the love for the woman who had broke his trust. Falling on hard times, he hired out on others ships till he won his Omni shuttle in a game of chance. He decided that “shipping special things” to where they were most wanted was the easiest way to make a credit and get his freighter back or another like it. He had amassed quite the fortune and was close to buying his dream. A few more runs and he could get his ship and bribe enough people to get his record cleaned.

Cathern kept up her research till her eyes started hurting. Jokkum was never far from her it seemed. His eyes wandered over her svelte form with regularity. Cathern was used to eyes on her but knew she was in a vulnerable position so said nothing. “He is obviously lonely” she thought to herself. “I’m going to head to bed Jokkum. Let’s hope the supplies arrive tomorrow.” Jokkum nodded and told her good night. “We can hope Cathern. We can hope.” The look in Jokkum’s eyes clearly showed hope for something else. Cathern would sleep lightly tonight.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    -Whisper's Edge-

Kissysuzuki -

Two days and nights had passed and the re-supply craft finally arrived much to Cathern’s relief. She had made love to Jokkum the last night. Out of pity and repayment, out of her own needs, or just to protect herself in a vulnerable situation Cathern had not decided yet why. After, Jokkum finally came right and asked her to stay with him, to be his partner and more. Cathern let him down as easily as possible; explaining she already had loves on Rubi-ka. She belonged on Rubi-ka, not space hopping. She still had a war to fight, a war that wasn’t Jokkum’s. Jokkum had sighed and an uncomfortable silence had decended between them, lasting all day.

While the supplies were being unloaded, Cathern asked the captain, a dark haired Solitus woman, about her flight plans. She said that her planned course took her no where near Rubi-ka. Far too dangerous she exclaimed, what with major alien presence and renewed intensity in the fighting there. “You have to be mad to want to go back to that planet, notum or no notum”. Cathern nodded her head and replied, “It’s still my home.” The captain shrugged and supervised her loadmasters disembarking the final bits of cargo and supplies Jokkum had ordered, and took aboard a few crates of Jokkum’s stock. Jokkum and the captain finished up their business. The crew of the supply vessel waved then departed for the next planet on their run.

Jokkum opened a small crate and waved Cathern over. “This is why we couldn’t leave.” He pointed inside the crate to some sort of computing system module. “My interstellar navigation computer was making errors and I could not fix the darn thing. I was lucky to make it back here at all. I was weeks off course before I realized it. Ran out of snacks. Horrible!” Cathern smiled as some levity had returned to Jokkum. “It will take me perhaps an hour to swap modules and run basic diagnostics. Then I’ll need to take a short jaunt in space to run some more advanced diagnostics. That will take another couple of hours. After that, we’ll load up the ship and you’ll be on your way home Ms. Flowers.” Jokkum gave another smile, leaned in and kissed her cheek. “And thank you Cathern for last night. You didn’t have to, and it was wonderful. Thank you”. Cathern blushed a bit as Jokkum walked off to his craft, computer module in his hands. He was whistling a happy space-farers tune. Cathern smiled to herself. She was going home.
    Last edited by Vixentrox; Jan 22nd, 2007 at 19:43:17.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    -Whisper's Edge-

Kissysuzuki -

Cathern dabbed a bit of the perfume that Jokkum had given her on her inner wrists. She rubbed them together then dabbed a bit more perfume on her neck. Closing up the bottle, she packed it away with her few belongings including the presents from Jokkum. Cathern busied herself by cleaning the kitchen and bathrooms, waiting for Jokkum to finish the calibrations and diagnostics on the new navigation computer. Time dragged on. And on. And on. Cathern went outside to catch some fresh air. The evening was quiet, but compared to the cacophony in the swamps an orchestra might seem quiet. Cathern looked up into sky admiring the beauty of the stars.

Cathern’s ears perked up. There was a slight humming sound. Cathern scanned the dark sky for the navigation lights of Jokkum’s ship. Something was not right. The sound was not coming from above. The quiet night was ripped apart by the sound of rapid light cannon fire. The robotic anti-personnel guns around the compound were firing. Cathern crouched down feeling very vulnerable without a rifle. There were screams of pain and commands shouted in the distance. Cathern slipped back into the compound and started looking for some sort of weapon. There were louder explosions and more screams then quiet. The cannons had stopped firing. Cathern armed herself with a steel pipe and peered into the darkness. The distinctive sounds of an Omni shuttle coming in to land reached Cathern’s ears. She ran to the landing area and hid near some crates. The Omni shuttle landed, engines still running. The door popped open and Jokkum ran out. He started shouting for Cathern. “Here I am! What the hell is going on?” Cathern hollered back and stepped out from behind the crates. Jokkum ran to Cathern and gave her a big hug. “Good, you’re safe! There is not much time we have to leave. Get your things and let’s go. I’ll explain on the ship.” Cathern ran to get her belongings while Jokkum hauled some of his most valuable cargo on board. Grabbing her stuff, Cathern sprinted for the ship, tossed her things inside a storage bin, then helped Jokkum strap the cargo down. “Let’s go!” Jokkum hopped into the pilot’s seat, and took off while Cathern was still buckling in.

The small craft rocketed into space. Jokkum looked at the sensors screen and gave a grunt. “I think we are being…..no…wait.” Jokkum gave a sigh of relief. “No, they didn’t pick us up. The cannons around my base got their attention.” Cathern looked at the screen. “Whose attention?” Jokkum looked at Cathern. “Omni of course. That captain must have given you up, and me as well. Damn treacherous females!” Jokkum paused then added, “No offense to you of course Cathern. She must have recognized you after she left or she would have offered to take you to Rubi-Ka herself. I picked up an Omni patrol craft while testing the new gear. They normally do not patrol this far out so I followed it for a bit. The ship interrogated my IFF but I pay well for current codes. The craft then met up with another larger one then headed right for my hideout. Luckily, they decided to set down at a distance and take it from the ground. It gave me time to get in there after I shot up their first wave with the cannons on this ship. Omni has set me back years!” Cathern whispered, “I’m sorry Jokkum. I ruined your life.” Jokkum shrugged. “It was my choice to rescue you. It was the decent thing to do. I’d do it again.” Cathern leaned over and kissed Jokkum’s cheek. “So now what?” Jokkum gave his smile, charming as ever. “Now to Rubi-ka. It won’t take long. This ship has some real get up and go engines on it. They were modified by your’s truly. It goes faster that that wreck of a craft you had.” Jokkum patted Cathern’s knee. “Don’t worry, I’ll get you home. You just help me sell this cargo when we get there and we’ll call it even.” Cathern looked to the back of the ship. “What’s the cargo?” Jokkum laughed loudly and began to explain what it was he carried.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    -Whisper's Edge-

Kissysuzuki -

At last! Her beloved Rubi-ka was in sight. Just a small sphere at first, growing ever larger by the second. They had dodged several alien patrols on the way here. Cathern and Jokkum discussed why the aliens had such a desire for Rubi-ka and the only explanation they could come up with was the notum. It seemed everyone wanted it. It was both Rubi-ka’s blessing and curse.

“Hmmm…what have we here?” Jokkum worked the scanners and brought up a strange object orbiting the planet. “These must be the new battle stations I heard about. I see two for sure, might be more on the other side of the planet. We’ll have to give them a wide berth. No idea what sort of fire power they pack. I better turn on the IFF.” As soon as Jokkum flipped on the IFF device it was being interrogated. “Let’s hope the codes are still good.” Cathern nodded and gripped the armrests. She was so close to home she could hardly contain herself. In fact, she had a sudden urge to use the bathroom but wouldn’t dare leave the co-pilot’s seat lest she missed something. As if leaving would make her wake up from the dream to find herself back in the swamp swatting bugs.

“Here we go. Looks like they are going to let us through. I’ll take us down by Newland so as not to arouse su****ion on why an Omni shuttle was heading for Clan territory. I’ll drop you off then contact you later for help unloading this cargo.” Cathen nodded and smiled. “You have been very good to me Jokkum. I won’t forget.” The ship broke through the atmosphere then landed a short distance from Newland. Jokkum powered down the craft and unbuckled himself. Cathern slowly undid her seatbelt, trying to not act like a giddy schoolgirl, not that she’d ever had the opportunity to be one. Jokkum opened the hatch door. Fresh Rubi-ka air entered the craft. Cathern stood up, breathed deeply and smiled.

[To all those that missed me, I will be back on a limited basis, certainly nothing like I was before. I still have a RL and other games to play but in some ways I miss good old AO. I hope you enjoyed this little story. If you want to RP this further, contact me. After all, there is Jokkum's cargo to deal with. What could he be carrying? I have no idea..LOL....but nothing like a good RP story to discover what it is he is carrying. He also has an illicit Omni vessel and is wanted by several hyper corps that could be used as more RP hooks. Just remember that Vix has been out of touch for close to a year so she has no clue as to current events. Me the player, has intentionally avoided reading most of the news so as not to slip up in the role-play when and if I returned. So, keep that in mind. Thank you again for so many views in this story]
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    -Whisper's Edge-

Kissysuzuki -

Welcome Home My Beloved Lady.
    I will always be your faithful Servant and Friend.

Raicheal

As time passes pain doesn't dissipate. New pains are ever present. But the pain Xaun felt as the days became years since her brothers passing buried those feelings deeply. Her family was never the same after that day.

Her mother was hit the hardest.. Indy was her first born. She spared no expense of affection on him. He was a gentlemen of the highest accord that she had trained herself. "Now Indigo, remember whether you encounter a young and attractive girl or old and miserly man you are youthful and should assist them where ever you can" she would say along with many other pearls of honorable teachings over the years. Since then she often sat by the window looking out remembering the little things from his life. His gentle demeanor and perpetually positive outlook were ever redeeming qualities that most ladies admired in him. But none more than her.

Her father became lost more and more in to his research. As if some how a marvelous discovery would help to balance the cost of his sons life. Consequentially he all but vanished from his families life. Sometimes, even smart people do stupid things wrapped in grief.

The young girl was awash in a sea of decisions that never subsided. She always had her big brother to look up to. A wise and gentle soul. "Don't worry Xaun. It will work out. You'll see" he had said on so many occasions it was almost a scratch in black vinyl of her mind but things did not work out and she felt lost. As if a vortex ever spiraling inward was just before her.. until today.

"Welcome to the J.A.M.E. Society of Professionals. How may I help you young Miss?" The deceptively youthful looking woman before her inquired.
    "I've come to sign up for Shadowlands Expedition training." The girl of eighteen standard years expressed.
    "Oh, a wise choice. We of the J.A.M.E. Society offer the very best instruction in a variety of fields. Might I explain them to you now?" the woman passed her hand over a small semi-orb shaped emitting a glowing blue aura a control console of sorts causing a holographic display to show two lines of statues representing different specializations of education. She continued "We have a great doctoral program whi.." she was cut off mid sentence.
    "No thank you. I know what I wish to learn. Display for me the Keeper Program" Xaun said confidently.
    "Alright, Keeper Profile TL 1" the display responded to her voice displaying a tall Keeper with sword in hand plunged downward into the ground a look of honor in the proud posture. The automaton female voice began listing the benefits of the program.
    "Keeper, specially trained in dealing with the harsh environments of the Shadowlands. Adept at large two handed swords, specialized attunement in avoiding bodily harm by hyper focusing of the nervous system, muscle control and reaction timing. Combined with an acute outward projection of charisma and nanites able to enhance those nearby granting additional survivability in an untamed land." the projection ended.
    Patiently the woman looked at Xaun waiting for her final decision.
    "Yes, that is the path of training I would like to embark on."
    The woman smiled at the young would be Keeper.
    "Very good, a wise decision. Keepers make great company in a dangerous place." she said as her hands moved over the semi-orb control at varying angles pulling up the application form. Then a thin piece of notum infused crystalline paper presented itself in a recepticale below. The woman handed Xaun the electronic paper and a digital writing tool. After completing the form she handed it back and was guided off toward her new life awaiting.

12-27-29480

The sound of movement caused the sobbing woman to snap to her senses. Her personal grievances would have to wait. A hand on her sword she rose to her feet and wiped the glistening moisture from her eyes. Something was moving toward her. Her skin crawled as shadows flickered just beyond her field of view.
    "Just around that corner" she spoke inwardly as she prepared herself for the unknown.

Life in all its candor has a funny way of presenting the future when you least expect it. A simple mission to find a thing called Ergo. She had heard this before.. Cogito, ergo sum. I think therefore I am. This caused her to wonder at what task she has been sent out to complete. Was it a search for something living or did it fit into post hoc, ergo propter hoc, or after this, therefore on account of it (a fallacy of argument) both sayings in an ancient earth tongue she could had only scratched the surface of in her studies. Her never ending hunger for ancient knowledge had brought her to this place. She had been quite excited to learn she sought something unknown to civilization and it only quickened her pace along the suggested route.

Somewhere between here and there she befell a strange sight. Two of the Atrox breed nearly identical in every way save the armor and weapons held by each surrounded by a swarm of the cute little rodent like Leets. The two pounded and shot at killing one after another which brought a furl to her brow. What would drive two obviously strong beings to be killing such small defenseless creatures. Nearer to the two she traveled as they were directly in her path when she saw that they were actually being overwhelmed. Never before had she seen such strong figures about to succumb to something thought of as a docile pet till she was close enough to see the teeth. She recoiled as she bore witness to something that she never expected to see. These were not the Leets she was used to. Something in this Shadowland had changed them. There before her clamored a few dozen hungry and wild beasts. Without thought she rushed the creatures engaging in the foray. Blood splattering with each slash of her sword whilst the two Atrox's continued as if she did not exist. More than one moment told her if she strayed to close to their weapons energy of death she herself would meet one. Shadowleets she would later learn these fowl creatures were called. Roxxor specifically was the name of the creature that caused such an enormous amount of them to arrive. Soon the melee had ended and the three stood there panting.
    "You almost don't suck" The one holding the two large war hammers blurted out.
    Aghast Xaun's mouth gaped open in bewilderment. Had she not helped these two survive just now. They surely would have been overwhelmed if she had not.
    "Indeed, if you weren't a Solitus I would hit on you, but you lack the right equipment" the one toting submachine-guns followed.
    Standing there in utter shock she didn't know how to respond. Was she being thanked in some weird way or condemned.
    "My name is Xaun" she said finding no other words to leap forth.
    "I am Kabulla and this is my gene-mate Fixietrox" the one holding the hammers spoke as he scratched his stubbly chin.
    "You two should be more careful had I not of.." she was interrupted.
    "Ha! Had you not of got in our way we would have been half way back to uhm.." the larger of the two Atrox scratched his head looking around.
    "You are lost aren't you?" she said meekly.
    "Well this isn't exactly Rubi'ka" Fixietrox smugly stated.
    "I know my way around these parts if you need a guide" she said unsure if she wanted these two as companions in her travels.
    "A guide we don't need. A Map. Now that would be. FAN-tastik" Kabulla spoke with a self-assured tone.
    "Well the only map I have is in my head so to speak" she retorted.
    The two looked at each other.
    "So what brings a little one like you out this far map or no map?" Kabulla inquired.
    "I am to find something called Ergo" she felt no trepidation in this path of conversation.
    "Ergoh?" Fixietrox seemed to be asking a single worded question.
    "Not exactly sure myself. Why would you two care to tag along?" she did not expect a positive response.
    The two nodded. "Not like we got anything better to do." and with that the three continued down the path toward the coordinates she had keyed into her HUD.

As she silently crept around the corner seeking shelter behind a dilapidated pillar she saw a groutesque figure speaking in some harsh gutteral tongue to another. Her training clued her in on the dialect but she could not make sense of the words at this distance. The figures seemed to have a robust discussion she could only imagine the topic there of... yet she waited. The body language said plenty. The taller of the two decorated in a blueish tone was irritated by the one washed in orange. "He must be the one holding greater position of the two" she thought to herself as her scanners identified both as members of the Unredeemed.
    "Caleth-El" the sole word she could make out from this distance as the lower of the two bowed slightly and walked toward a darkened opening. She could feel some new found power within her that gave her a feeling she could stand to take both at once. As if during her time in this Divine forsaken place she had become embrazened with a fortitude of new found strength but her mind recoiled from the thought of what she might be capable of doing. Closer it crept toward her. She knew she must either retreat or be ready to fight. Yet her legs did not move. So she waited in ambush.

Many days had passed since finding the one called Ergo. A strange thing it was. A floating bauble of a head never stopping from its constant gyrations of movement. Like a spider in the center of a web it recounted long passages of half truths and almost psycho-nonsense. Yet she felt as though some truth existed in it. That day was long gone and her two unlikely companions seemed to have become her friends. After finding Ergo both had insisted on returning to Rubi'ka making jokes about the obsurdity of such a place as a the shadowlands having no purpose in the struggles of Rubi'ka.

Her entire life had been spent Neutral to the conflicts of the planet. She had heard rumors of her brothers death but could find nothing substantial regarding it. Only on one such strange day she encountered an old scientist. A woman of the corporation who claimed to be a part of a Robot building university that did not agree with most of Omni's ways said she had been saved by someone fitting her brothers description and that he had died by the hand of one in her team. The two Atrox spent a good deal of time speaking of mal-contempt toward Omni-Tek since she met them. In her own time she remembered Toga, the Atrox that taught her and her brother, being killed by these Omni oppressors. Little by little she began to feel she could not remain neutral in this fight.

"Oh so the little solitus grows a spine afterall" the taller of the two pondered.
    "As if you know what having a spine is" the shorter chuckled.
    "What did I do?" she spoke aloud hoping for clarification to this outburst.
    "You finally gonna take a stand hmm?" Kabo as she had grown accustomed to calling this one said.
    "Yes I have decided to join the Clans." she said nervously yet trying to hide it.
    "Well... I'll be.. the amazon is yet full of surprises." Kabo grinned. "You may not be totally worthless!"

Beyond her regular regimen of studying the long sword she had succumb to the teachings of both of these gene-mates. Kabo taught her how to sneak up on a target and Fixietrox how to aim a gun. She did protest to using guns considering them barbaric but after being introduced to a crossbow she fell in love.
    "A broad sword is great against a target close in range" Kabo reassured "But catching your opponent unawares is priceless."
    Fixietrox squeezed off a few round bursts at a target dummy.
    "You two are just plain silly. If you can't shoot... someone else will shoot you." He too she had learned from. He was a marksman who had control over a weapon even in rapid fire.

The beast before her never saw it coming. Right through the heart a sly recoil of her bodies repose had caught the victim unawares and lifelessly it dropped to the ground with a thud. Her senses peaked to full awareness as she sought signs that another might have heard this abnormal noise in this defiled ruin. Satisfying her alarm she progressed deeper. A simple bolt fired straight through the throat of the orange colored thing a split second before it fell lifelessly to the ground across the chasm. "how many more of these things are there" she intoned her thoughts as she progressed deeper into the maze.

[more to come accidentally hit submit instead of preview to get an idea of how long it was.. might add more tonight might be tommorow]
    Last edited by Xaun; Jan 27th, 2007 at 07:03:02.

*Scratches his head, then wonders off into the distance*

[Do i phail at RP? :P]
    main characters on RK1: Kingduck138 220 Engi Mongoose135 170 Agent Nnivekccub 165 Engi Kingduck135 170 Soldier Mongoose831 160 Agent Healdocheal 150 Doc Atroxshade 130 Shade Nanottwink 130 NT Mongoose144 125 Agent Ducktroxjr 117 Fixer Eternalguard 65 Enf Boringname 61 Fixer Kingduck139 60 Eng Atheist 60 MA Mongoose142 30 DocMongoose138 15 Agent Mongoose141 21 Agent

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12