Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Ninja Looting"

Angry "Ninja Looting"

About a month ago I had never even heard the expression "Ninja loot".
    When i first read some threads about it on the boards i tought it was a way of looting a corps from someone that had died - as ppl kept shouting that this and that guy had ninja looted this and that item from them.
    Then I tought it was a way to loot a corpse even when you didnt have the loot right (as in the ingame function) to do it as i saw a number of posts about guys ninja looting Tarasque and mission bosses.
    After a while though I understood that this was an expression used about players that looted something, and kept it hidden from the others. Like looting a chest and not telling what was in it, or saying it was ammo or something useless.

This thing is realy realy getting stupid though, seems like it is trendy to call everybody a Ninja Looter theese days. I have had players in my team shouting "ninja looter!!!" at other players who were looting remains when there was no "alpha loot" on in the team.

Is this a highlevel problem? Or a wave hitting AO nowdays, since I had absolutely no problem with it like a month ago, and it is roughly the same people I am teaming with now, that I teamed with then.

My point in this thread is that I feel this is getting ridicolous, when people quit teams because a guy opens a chest it is just getting way out of hand.

Arrow

Item-centric pressure.

If you set it on loot all and keep on going and going, then whoever takes the time to loot all the body IS NOT a ninja looter UNLESS he/she/it lagged behind too much and is not helping the team much.
    I do loot bodies, except I loot them at interval, since it's impossible for me to keep up if I loot every body.

One definition is when the wgole team is trying to take down a MOB and someone runs off to loot chests ahead of the team, or just runs ahead of the team looting all the chests they can find. This is an extremely idiotic move Im finding alot of low lvl players do as Im playing my low lvl chars more often, not only are they taking loot away from the whole team, they are putting the team at risk by potentially invloving rollerrats in the fight.

Just had a team break up the other day cu someone ninjad and got a rollerrat and team went poof!
    My Uber L33t Setup Includes:

Blazindro Clan 125 NT

..well

I agree with the above.

It really gets to be a problem in higher levels dong 190+ mission when everyone agrees to not loot chests till after mission.

We had this discussion in the first room, all agreed. After mission whoever wants to stay can stay and loot chests.

This was after the first RR incident while fighting.

So here we are fighting 2 enforcers, and boom! Reeeeee....
    3 of the team bites the dust. Team falls apart.

I wont mention names, DOCTORSARAH.

who drops immed after letting out rat.

(add to your ignore list. )

think i could resist a tell or 2?

her excuse was.. ya'll ran off and left me. (we were one room ahead)

I never open chests on team missions for fear of Roller Rats. Nothing pisses a team off more tham some greedy jerk that's willing to risk his and his teams neck for some worthless loot. Nothing good ever comes out of team mission chests that I've ever seen.

It makes people angry too when these chests are opened while everyone is in a fight, and "POOF" you're being attacked by a Roller Rat, and one guy is already dead cuz he opened the chest.

Talking hehe

sometimes ninja looters get what they deserve. Last night I was in a team doing a ql 187 team mission. everyone was at the teleport excepted one player, he claimed he was trying to find us since we was waiting on him to catch up before we went down. Well next thing we know he starts cuseing on chat we asked whats wrong, only to find out he was killed by a rollrat. I guess it takes longer to find the tele when your to busy looting chest the team left behind lol. Let's just say he lost over half of a lvl.
    My small army on rbk2

NT
    Got Nullity Sphere?

Crat

trader
    <--flavor of the month

I See you!

The fact is, chest loot aint all that. When I do Ql 200 missions we set loot all and I or anyone is looting mobs or chests, so I did a test, checked every mob and the loot found will never make up for the loss of time you could be using rolling in the experience you would be getting if you werent looting and finding room to put all that worthless junk.

Tanks and looting

Speaking as one who usually Tanks during team missions, nothing ticks me off more than Ninja Looting. As an Atrox enforcer I can hold my own against most MOBs, but I've been in missions where I've gotten 3(!) chests out of an entire team mission because I'm soaking up damage while some Fixer or Agent is looting the chests. If your tank is fighting you should NOT be looting! Help the poor 'trox out and take a shot at the MOB he's fighting. Tanks have zero chance of getting loot if theres combat going on, please bear this in mind when teaming.

Another of my peeves is the "I'm doing this for all of us" ploy. This happens when someone has a bazillion points in B&E, and so in the interest of speed they loot the chests and say that they'll divide up the loot after the boss has been killed. In my opinion this is like opening up your birthday presents for you because you're too slow. Plus, the dividing up at the end NEVER happens! In fairness, the chest loot people I've been with do display the loot at the end but the group is too "polite" to ask for 2 or 3 random items, so the looter walks off with all the loot. I've asked for a couple items to sell in situations like that and the room falls silent as though I just committed a big faux pas.

I think that chest looting should be alpha just like mob looting. It would solve so many problems!
    My 2 cents,

BigGreen
    lvl 89 enforcer
    Veteran of the Rising Phoenix

Btw this 'problem' becomes quite non existent the higher up you go. Mainly because:

a) Roller rats don't scare anyone
    b) Your team could probably do the whole mission solo.
    c) No one really gives a damn about the loot.

So if you're going through those stages where people are still desperate for money/eq, you'll outgrow it.

Well as it is right now... a QL 190 mission that has a Roller Rat get loose on a team of all lvl 100 to 110's can get ugly. I normaly survive them, but the poor saps that have like 2000 HP instead of 3000 get killed pretty fast.

You can never be short of cash, and that's the reason I loot bodies (not chests... I don't like these for some reason...)

On chests and rollerrats..

I've been in all kinds of teams with all kinds of attitudes about chests. Personally, I like em. If I'm going to loot one, it won't be while the team is fighting, and everything gets posted.. I also try to alert the team "cover me for a rat" before I start picking the lock. I was in one team a few nights ago where no one was looting chests, and I asked if anyone was going to, and they said no, they don't like rats. So after the mission was over I stayed behind to take my chances with the rats. 1 rat (I survived) but I did score a lot of QL 190-200 armor and a QL 193 Avangeline Webcloak.. the only reason I like chests is for Sol Chronis containers and web cloaks.. which are pretty much team mission chests only I think.

--Sandy

re:ninja loot

I think ninja loot only happen in low lvl char...seen they want to sell junk for money ...i don't mind ppl looting when in a team but i would mind ppl looting in front of me where i am frighting...beside i don't loot in mission

For me, the key is that when anyone of the team lootes a chest, they shall tell me, so I can cover them, and in exchange post the items they take from the chest - and of course if someone asks for one of the items found, hand it over....

I have been in teams where this worked perfect, and some where people aggreed to the rules, then don't post items, but you always see them loot...
    Flyhard - lvl 137 doc
    Thermaling - lvl 94 fixer

Originally posted by natallian
    Well as it is right now... a QL 190 mission that has a Roller Rat get loose on a team of all lvl 100 to 110's can get ugly. I normaly survive them, but the poor saps that have like 2000 HP instead of 3000 get killed pretty fast.
    *Points to her above post.* Level more. :P

I honestly have looted maybe 5 chests in the last 40 levels. Maybe 20 corpses. If I need money to maintain my credit level, I will take an item or two from boss to feed the shop terminal. Discounting rare and uber items, I have every ql 200 thing I could ever want worn or sitting in bank. So why do I need money? I think most players 140+ are in the same boat. Maybe when those towers are implemented, ninja looting will become a problem again. As it is now, it's a lowbie/noobi problem as it's usually done by those who need money. When I played another character for the first time, I was amazed at the greed. It's something I'd quickly forgotten. And while it didn't affect me since I just transfer between characters for anything I need, I did feel sorry for those poor noobies/lowbies who weren't rude enough to ninja loot.

The only reason to care about ninja looting is:

a) You need money/eq and if some ninjalooter gets it then you don't.
    b) You are still a low enough level where a roller rat is scary.

Blaming bracer farmers is kinda silly since most bracer farmers are in the same teams that are doing those mission in their sleep. *shrug*

And yes, I do feel annoyed when someone in a rare case spends their time opening chests in fights at my level. But the loss of one person quite honestly doesn't slow most teams down much, so it's hard to get worked up about it. As I said above, if you do have a problem with ninja looting, there is light at the end of the tunnel. It's a non issue the more levels you put under your belt.
    Last edited by Zylina; Aug 20th, 2002 at 07:42:40.

Well i don't think ninja looting is a problem at my level unless it is affecting the ability of the group to kill mobs. In most missions atleast 50% of the loot is left unclaimed.

Personally i loot about 10% of the missions. But when i do loot i take everything. I am not gonna sit there and think gee is it my turn yeT?? grab the loot and get onto the next mob. I check to see if thats okay with my group first and i have yet to have a single person complain.
    engie + ghetto crowd control + no healing + lowest hp + worst evades + bot who is never around. = worst prof in game

Bump for engie fix

Need money for those Virral Eggs

ninjas and high lvls

Ninja's aren't a lowlvl/n00b phenomena!

It *most* certainly happens in high lvl teams also. Why? Because of BRACERS, not some crappy chest loot, be it armour, kits or ammo. Sure, the kits are sweet for those who can actually use 'em, but everybody wants bracers.

What I've done is simple after a peticular nasty team (3 ninjas, 2 more starting to ninja jsut to make sure the ninja's didn't get their reward) is asking for a dedicated chest looter - noone but him/her loots any chests, rare items like bracers/IQ rings and such gets rolled for the instant they are found.

Now with the bracer nerf, there isn't anything to ninja from chests anyhow, so why not remove the thingies from missions alltogether

-----------------------------
    Littletza, President of Shadow Ops
    191 soldier
    RK2

yeah... make them into solo mission chest loots only
    Then they'll have to work their own way for bracers/IQ rings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast