Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Funcom Rocks!

Thanks for the effort Lilnymph

But some folks sit around hoping something will fail. The glass is not half empty or half full to them, it's empty.

Then some folks sit around waiting to pounce on any comment with a witty, 1 line snappy comeback.

At least Yorkforce tried to list pro's and con's. In no way am I referring to him.

7r0|| you know who you are.

Does anyone else plan to play more than 1 MMORPG at once? Thats my plan when some other half decent games come out.
    -- Falling never killed anyone, its always the landing.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    RK-1
    |OT|
    Telgi-61 Solitus Enforcer
    Gauf-31 Nanomage Doctor
    Saruzi- -=128=- Opifex Nano-Technician.
    Manstien-44 Solitus Soldier

Originally posted by Yorkforce

They have Bug fixers yes , but they dont have Bug hunters.

Gonna have to read what im saying here lilnymph.
    Erm I could be wrong, but I am willing to bet part of their job is to find new bugs. However bearing in mind that the number of people they could employ and pay, compared to the number of players, surely it makes sense to make use of the players to find bugs (I'm willing to bet most software companies do this, after all if no one complains about a bug, it cant be much of a problem )

Its like part of my job is to find out things wrong with the club, so we can put them right, but while I will look myself, most of my work is listening to customer complaints, as there are more of them then there is of me and my staff, and I dont have to pay them

hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

Originally posted by lilnymph

Erm I could be wrong, but I am willing to bet part of their job is to find new bugs. However bearing in mind that the number of people they could employ and pay, compared to the number of players, surely it makes sense to make use of the players to find bugs (I'm willing to bet most software companies do this, after all if no one complains about a bug, it cant be much of a problem )

Its like part of my job is to find out things wrong with the club, so we can put them right, but while I will look myself, most of my work is listening to customer complaints, as there are more of them then there is of me and my staff, and I dont have to pay them

hugs

lilnymph
    Ditto , I could be wrong , but during my ARK times , there was a specific department that was called the Bug hunters , they go on the test server and .. try break everything .. then send a report to the programmers , i think.

Seemed to be that way on thier forums
    , but the bug hunters were just voluteer ARKs same as event ARKs / Petition ARKs / Greeter ARKs, but I didnt join that dept so i could be wrong.

Personally I can't wait for ac2... mostly because in my mind it seems to be the fantasy counter to swg. I've never played a fantasy mmorpg

check the sig
    Daren "Talanie" Briggs

Achiever 93% | Killer 73% | Explorer 33% | Socializer 0%

This will probably be your second MMORPG

Your Second MMORPG

As a 6 yr vet MMORPG'er , I'd suggest trying this one when its gets released in December , it will blow your mind away.

Hell No....!!
    3dmax is a way of life

210 Ma. Techlog
    175 Doc. Tecdoc
    145 Mp. Tecmeta

Originally posted by Saruzi
    Does anyone else plan to play more than 1 MMORPG at once? Thats my plan when some other half decent games come out.
    Hmm... Dunno. I'll probably try SWG for a while and then decide which game to continue. The thing I enjoy most about RPGs is immersion. And I just don't get the same level of immersion when I'm playing two different games.

I took a 2 month break from AO in the spring. During that time I played Morrowind. Then I got back to AO; haven't played MW for a second. Even though it's a great game that I love, it just doesn't quite capture me as much when I'm also playing AO. And if I have to choose between AO and MW, well, I choose AO

Oh, and btw: unless SWG is really as good as the most positive fans out there claim it will be, I'll stay with AO. No matter the bugs, boring missions and all... AO simply has heart.
    Vanguard Mharc. Self-equipper extraordinaire no longer. I'm back!

I'll probbaly try SWG, but really- the idea of hanging with Star Wars: Dorks online does not really appeal. I'll give it a chance, but man... the first time somebody tells me that my pistol isn't "supposed to be here on Corellia because blah blah blah (geek explanation)"... I'm outta there.

:P

Very good post York

Very good post York - I really enjoyed the SWG synopsis. I'd like to touch on a few of the notable flaws of AO that aren't truly bug ridden but have been voiced in the past by many.

First is the apartments. Many people have said this before and I'll say it here to. Right now I think its 10 items you can have and after that they start self deleting. There aren't any true furniture items like couches, chairs, beds, etc. and people can steal things from your apartment like an entire painting or plant when you let them in. If this feature were fixed, it would provide a giant RP approach and I know some people say they don't do it because of children but the EULA specifies you have to have be an adult to have an account considering you have to have a major credit card or paypal to use the game. Yes, there will always be sex of some sort in any MMORPG game - it happens and its part of the lure for mature players who are adults.

Secondly - faction. AO does not have a faction system and therefore you can kill your own sided guards over and over and never be hunted. People tend to disrupt the game a lot by killing their own guards and it would make for interesting results if they did have a finely crafted faction system in place. Not having one detracts from RP.

Thirdly - Storyline. Many of the top influencing people that worked on the storyline and enhanced it were canned (fired) by Funcom. I found this out while a Professional and I knew a few of them. CZ says that the remaining storyline personnel are still good but I have yet to see any major plot present in the game recently and if it is present - it's not being seen. The sad fact is that only guild leaders who have access to the leaders channel see the introduction of smaller storyline encounters and most turn it off (due to spam) or never tell their guild. If you are guildless you don't even have a chance with the storyline because the event will be closed or over before you get there. That is of course, if there is an event.

Fourth - Bugs. Yes there are many bugs still current in the game that were there from beta and have yet to be fixed. The worst "BUG" of them all is that AO does not clear memory when changing zones and instead loads it through paging which grows and grows and grows and never stops until you quit AO and you see the closing bar which releases the memory that was being used. So this causes a large performance issue later on as you play the game unless you have a super computer which can still have problems.

Pathing - Pets still do not path correctly. Monsters / People in missions can go invisible if they move too fast into a few rooms ahead and you have to move out of map range and back in to see them. The same thing can be said for mobs that go invisible and are still able to shoot through walls. (something that was not fixed since beta).

Zoning - Zoning can crash you when doing many different things and zones themselves go down quite a bit do to proxy failures. Even when dying in a large populated zone (by PvP even) you can find yourself still standing around and not die only to be killed a second time by a person and then finally zone.

I could go on and on with other major bugs but it's pointless. The problem is Funcom does not have the money nor the resources to keep the game to above par standards. The reason why other games do well and why SWG will do even better is because funcom can't do what SWG can.

I had to respond to this post's title and laugh. Laugh alot...

Anyway, SWG isn't necessarily going to be good guys, sorry. I have a friend that plays the beta and the gfx in game aren't really as good as the screenshots make it out to be. Don't get your hopes up for SWG yet is all I'm saying. It could just end up being another Anarchy Online *LoL*

PS - Keep an eye out on AC2, that actually looks like the next MMORPG worth playing imho.

What Yorkforce fails to mention in his rants is that SW:G will mainly consist of two types of players and to seperate the distinct groups from each other, we will catagorize them as 'a' and 'b'.

[list=A]
    [*] The SW-geeks. You know, those that dresses in their Jedi-wannalooklikes-clothing and can recite every speech flawlessly. Also known as the group that has never had sex, not even with a <insert desired religion> priest.
    [*] The pre-teens. Well, imagine a very spoiled five-year old and you got a pretty good base to draw up your own ideas of a pre-teen.
    [/list=A]

Not a very friendly complied list of potentinal buyers, but hey, its Verent and Lucasarts and they have attracted that kind of customers before.

Yep , Hardware T+L must be supported by your card to play SWG.

Sooo... someone posted the following in a forum message in your link:

Originally posted by Nrakjar
    "No sorry, the Raedon7000 & the RaedonVE lacks hardware T&L. They wont be able to run the game."
    So who is Nrakjar? He is listed as a "Station Member" like most of the posters. Is he a developer and his word official?

You can't just quote anything as if it is an official source. Many people post "facts" about games that are not facts at all; but just opinion, and often incorrect.

We need to know the viability of the source; not just some posted words from a forum. If you are going to use sources, at least let us know the validity of the source.

Cheers,
    Martek

Originally posted by Destructiva
    What Yorkforce fails to mention in his rants is that SW:G will mainly consist of two types of players and to seperate the distinct groups from each other, we will catagorize them as 'a' and 'b'.

[list=A]
    [*] The SW-geeks. You know, those that dresses in their Jedi-wannalooklikes-clothing and can recite every speech flawlessly. Also known as the group that has never had sex, not even with a <insert desired religion> priest.
    [*] The pre-teens. Well, imagine a very spoiled five-year old and you got a pretty good base to draw up your own ideas of a pre-teen.
    [/list=A]

Not a very friendly complied list of potentinal buyers, but hey, its Verent and Lucasarts and they have attracted that kind of customers before.
    That must be one of the most stupid comments i have ever seen.
    When i see people make judgements like this it makes me really puzzled. Do you personally know all people that is going to play swg?. You must either be very young or you must be inside your house meeting no other people 24/7. I base my judgement on your statement. When all the people around you are idiots, you might want to take a look at yourself.

Sincerely,

Elias Rolén
    Wandering Rubi-ka alone...
    Wondering when alone will end.

Hmm, without breaking the NDA, Destructiva is scaringly close to the truth.

Lich × Finalizer × Dictator × Vanguard × Techno Arch-Wizard × Godfather × Eternalist × Saviour × Deity × Guru

'People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use' - Kierkegaard

Except

Star Wars itself has been out for a very long time. It attracts more than the young at heart. Half of the extremely young teens were never around when the original star wars trilogy was present and most of the mature base will be drawn from that perspective.

I already know at least 7 friends that are going to SWG and er all my friends are over 30 years.

I tend to disagree with Destructiva. SWG will gather a lot of mature players.

Arrow

Drabin: I'm sure it will, but if it also gathers a lot of players from the two categories mentioned... ugh. Me, I lost any faith in Mr Lucas after Ep1 so I won't be going there...

Yorkforce: Yes, the bughunters are volunteers. But they are on testlive, FC do have internal testing (Nizno is in charge I believe) so there are paid bughunters. Of course as lilnymph points out, they are only so many (probably not many at all), hence testlive and all us happy testers.
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12