Thread: Freelance: Lady Xaun: Dead or Hiding?

Independent Reporters of Rubi-Ka Editor: IRRK's Avatar

Freelance: Lady Xaun: Dead or Hiding?

Lady Xaun: Dead or Hiding?
    July 31, 29480 - Noticiero Rivera [Atlantean]

IRRK Freelance - The mystery of Lady Xaun's death, or disappearance has left many with questions regarding the truth of how she was 'killed' and the reasons behind it.

In my investigative report in January of this year, Lady Xaun made statements which many Clan readers considered as treason against the Council of Truth.

It was clear she had her own agenda, and her statements "something is coming" and "like a wounded animal which needs to be put down" (obviously meaning the CoT) hinted that something was being planned for the future.

I'm not saying for sure that Lady Xaun is not dead, but neither have I found proof that she is dead. It is one of those cases where there is a 50/50 chance, a roll of the dice as some may say.

Many, even some clan leaders in the CoT, firmly believe that this is all a publicity stunt, to bring about a "resurrection" and miraculous return of Lady Xaun to push forward her personal agenda (mainly the UCN) even using her own clan and friends to do so.

Sir Tristram from the Knights of Avalon was concerned about the whereabouts of Lady Xaun, perhaps not knowing of her statements she made earlier this year. Had Sir Tristam known, would he have been so quick so lend his assistance and help? Maybe not.

The entire situation has become more of a political maze than an investigation of what has happened to Lady Xaun.

One of her most loyal subjects, Gurney "Twistshot" Halleck has been running around pointing the finger at the CoT Clerical Staff and clan leaders for not jumping and using all their resources to assist in the "investigation" of his Lady's death. As if the council did not have other important matters to deal with.

Did I mention he was the only witness to the assassination? Oh, he does mention other witnesses, guards who were "to far away to arrive in time primarily, that I did not see due to the shock of what had happened in front of me."

Could anyone blame those who have doubts about the entire event with all the facts on the table? I know as a reporter I must investigate before making a statement, and so far all I see is clouds of smoke everywhere, concealing the truth.

The bottom line is that she could be dead, or she could be having a cup of tea, laughing somewhere while she plans her "return" from her death.

My personal opinion, is that Lady Xaun is not dead, but alive, and a good number of clanners feel the same. I could be wrong, they could be wrong.

However all seems to point to a political plot, where strings are being pulled to push forward the UCN and make Lady Xaun a "martyr" or "hero" of the clans in the process.

If in the end, she is truly dead by the hands of an assassin (if there even was one), I will mourn her loss with the rest of the clans. She was, after all, a clan leader. But like I said before, that it's a 50/50 chance, a roll of the dice.

The question that comes to mind is, who will be rolling the dice? Will it be fate, or Lady Xaun herself? I can assure you my readers, as I find out more I will report!

This is Reporter 'Noticiero' Rivera, and this has been 'A Rubi-Ka Exclusive'!

Of all the....
    I can't believe....
    The gall....

<Trasmission interupted due to mechanical failure on the user's end>
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it is has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Gurney "Twistshot" Halleck

Want to learn how to roleplay? Click Here for ideas! Looking for other Roleplayers? /tell channel42 !join and meet them! Want a larger source for RP? Go to www.ao-universe.com

Quote Originally Posted by Editor: IRRK
    [size=4]However all seems to point to a political plot, where strings are being pulled to push forward the UCN and make Lady Xaun a "martyr" or "hero" of the clans in the process.[/i]
    That makes absolutely no sense. How can one become a "martyr" in this situation without being deceased. And I do not see how should could be a "hero" either. I mean her dying/faking her death without some heroic deed being done can't make her a hero. Can it? If so sign me up!!!
    Last edited by Nevarstiyeh; Aug 2nd, 2006 at 22:25:07.

Well, if it was all a ploy to discuss the issues with the clannerland political institutions, i think i'll give lady X a "supersly cat" award , in the grand fixer tradition of recognising magnificient hussles.
    --
    The nootie's infamous black joker, Jujuwalker :
    RP profile : http://www.ao-universe.com/tools.php...ion=show&id=74
    --

La censure est la negation de l' esprit. (Censoring is the negation of thought) --Yvirnig
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -- Hunter S. Thompson
    --
    QUOTE OF THE DAY : And remember : you minions SHOULDN'T BE THINKING!

Ding dong the witch is dead! I always think of that song when I think of Xaun...
    If she comes back, we will have to try harder.
    GorgeFodder4 / Skeletawe
    Anti-Miner / Miner
    Omni-Mining / NLF Remnant?

If she's dead, so be it.

If she's hiding, she's a coward.
    "If you say 'plz' because it's shorter than 'please', I'll say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes'."

SirNegs - Neutral Keeper
    Negs - Neutral MP
    Lode - Neutral Doctor

I never really believed it. All along I just think she's alive.

ehem.. and I agree with SirNegs now. Shame really.
    Joe "Sefus" Werkit 212/17
    Squad Commander - PR - Recruitment
    3305 Local

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, doesn't mean they are right however.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Twistshot
    Of all the....
    I can't believe....
    The gall....

<Trasmission interupted due to mechanical failure on the user's end>
    Someone may need anger management, note there is no rebuttal to the article itself by Mr. Twistshot.

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, doesn't mean they are right however.
    Yes, I did make the clear in the article Commander. I stated that I could be wrong, but I believe I covered all angles on the subject with all the information I gathered.

Interesting reporting done here. And people have criticized my own reporting.

1) The reporter says that there is a 50/50 chance of her being alive or dead. Mind you this is not from any actual investigation into the matter but a quick application of the Principle of Indifference.

2) The statement:
    It was clear she had her own agenda, and her statements "something is coming" and "like a wounded animal which needs to be put down" (obviously meaning the CoT) hinted that something was being planned for the future.
    Takes her statements out of context, applies some assumptions, and then stats an obvious fact. Of course something is being planned for the future, as any clan that wishes to survive plans for the future.

3) The statement:
    My personal opinion, is that Lady Xaun is not dead, but alive, and a good number of clanners feel the same. I could be wrong, they could be wrong.
    Is a bit misleading. While yes in some reports, personal opinion does factor in. Such as reports about style, fashion, arts, and entertainment. However reports about if perhaps an assassination attempt, even if it is to just bring doubts to if it was a real or not should be done in such a way as to present opinions but instead ideas. If the reporter wishes to bring to question the legitimacy of this situation, they should be presenting the facts that draw the murder into doubt.

On the other hand, the reporter points out that the only witness is one of Lady Xaun's closest confidants, and tries to make this sound strange while ignoring the fact that if anyone is a witness of an assassination attempt that it stands to reason that a closest confidant might be the one and only witness. Especially if it is rare that the confidant leaves the victim's side.

Finally Noticiero's claim of "I can assure you my readers, as I find out more I will report!" is a bold claim. I would suggest that Noticiero find out something more than nothing before reporting at all. Noticiero's "report" is nothing more than a rant you would read on a second rate Conspiracy theory Gridsite's forums, disguised as a legitimate and respectable news article.

As for if lady Xaun is alive or not, let me assure you citizens of Rubi-Ka, that I have been trying to find the truth to this matter and will withhold my own judgement until such time as I have some kind of tangible information one way or the other.

--
    Miranda Whtrose Ariel

Eh... acctually...

those quotes you said were out of context, were from an interveiw. Those were answers after being asked "How do you feel about the current state of the CoT?"

Think it came from one with Noticiero himself.

In any case Xaun has been very outspoken *aginst* the CoT before. Each clanner and nuet probably has their own lil horror story about that.

though the last one I've ever heard of was a few monthes back, prior the shooting.

any case, this is the part where ya'll mash the reply button furiously discredit my name, and call me and my clan traitors to the clans. Oh, and don't forget to accuse me of shooting her too! that one is classic.

Word of advice for the day: The streets and walls have eyes and ears. Don't try and badmouth someone privately on Rubi-Ka.

Quote Originally Posted by Zemkarik
    1) The reporter says that there is a 50/50 chance of her being alive or dead. Mind you this is not from any actual investigation into the matter but a quick application of the Principle of Indifference.
    I'm sorry but I try to apply fact to my reports, I'm a reporter, not a scientist. You may examine my report from a scientific point of view if you want, however it is not intended to be presented as a scientific fact.

Takes her statements out of context, applies some assumptions, and then stats an obvious fact. Of course something is being planned for the future, as any clan that wishes to survive plans for the future.
    The statements were quoted from an interview from January of this year with Lady Xuan. You can read a copy of it here. Her statements back then caused a lot of controversy and at one point she even denied making them.

Of course every clan has some plans for the future (be it near or far), however how many clans have their leader speak of undermining the CoT while seating in the council and say "like a wounded animal which needs to be put down"? those are not peaceful words. Also I never mentioned her clan as a whole was making a plan for the future, I was specifically speaking about her, therefore her plans.

Is a bit misleading. While yes in some reports, personal opinion does factor in. Such as reports about style, fashion, arts, and entertainment. However reports about if perhaps an assassination attempt, even if it is to just bring doubts to if it was a real or not should be done in such a way as to present opinions but instead ideas. If the reporter wishes to bring to question the legitimacy of this situation, they should be presenting the facts that draw the murder into doubt.

On the other hand, the reporter points out that the only witness is one of Lady Xaun's closest confidants, and tries to make this sound strange while ignoring the fact that if anyone is a witness of an assassination attempt that it stands to reason that a closest confidant might be the one and only witness. Especially if it is rare that the confidant leaves the victim's side.
    I believe I did present enough evidence based on her past behavior and statements to say that it was possible that there was no 'assassination' and that she is alive and well.

However there has been no evidence presented to show she is dead, wounded, harmed or kidnapped except for the words of one of her extremely loyal subjects which in itself presents doubt to the claim of assasination.

Mr. Twistshot has gone on to continue the work of Lady Xaun, by undermining the CoT with accusations toward it's members and pushing for the UCN (which is clearly meant to replace the CoT).

Finally Noticiero's claim of "I can assure you my readers, as I find out more I will report!" is a bold claim. I would suggest that Noticiero find out something more than nothing before reporting at all. Noticiero's "report" is nothing more than a rant you would read on a second rate Conspiracy theory Gridsite's forums, disguised as a legitimate and respectable news article.

As for if lady Xaun is alive or not, let me assure you citizens of Rubi-Ka, that I have been trying to find the truth to this matter and will withhold my own judgement until such time as I have some kind of tangible information one way or the other.
    You're entitled to your opinion Miss Whtrose. However I've been doing this since '77 on Rubi-Ka and I have under my belt almost 70 investigative reports and interviews. I've got quite a bit of experience regarding journalism.

You can call it a rant if you wish, but I will not make any changes to the article based on popularity or the opinions of a young reporter.

Feel free to publish your own article on the situation. It is what we do, after all.

((A reminder from your friendly neighboorhood Events Director:

This forum is not the place for OOC content. That belongs elsewhere. No where on the public forums is flaming accepted. Please, everyone show civility and refrain from flaming and hurtful comments. Nevar hugs happy people. Unless you're an atrox wearing a thong. Then you'll need to put some clothes on first.))
    Director Nevarstiyeh
    Events Team
    Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Contact the Events Department: events-feedback@ark.anarchy-online.com

Noticiero, do not get me wrong the Principle of Indifference while it seems scientific is more just a way to explain how most people will look at a situation when given no facts.

Xaun is dead.
    Xaun is not dead.

Two statements that with no evidence to either dirrection, means that it is just a 50/50 chance that she is alive or dead.

My point is that if it realy is a 50/50 chance you should be withholding your own judgement on if she is alive or dead. You do present many things that suggest that perhaps she is not dead, but if the chance is 50/50 you still shouldn't be saying "I believe that she is alive" even if you add on to it that you might be wrong.

If you feel that there is a 50/50 chance that she is alive or dead, then you should report that. If you feel the evidence points to her being alive then you should report that. But this reporting one thing while stating anouther, speaks of political motivations on your own part.

The unfortinate part about the whole thing is that if someone dies, the nanobots in the body will try to break down the body for a reclaim even if a reclaim isn't going to work. This makes it hard to say "Well there is no body, so there is a chance she isn't dead". However, as perma-death is rare it could be safe to say that "There was no reclaim so there is a chance there was no death"

((Once again. This is not the place for OOC issues. If you have concerns regarding content posted here, contact us at events-feedback@ark.anarchy-online.com. --Nevarstiyeh))
    Last edited by Nevarstiyeh; Aug 2nd, 2006 at 22:27:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Zemkarik
    My point is that if it realy is a 50/50 chance you should be withholding your own judgement on if she is alive or dead. You do present many things that suggest that perhaps she is not dead, but if the chance is 50/50 you still shouldn't be saying "I believe that she is alive" even if you add on to it that you might be wrong.

If you feel that there is a 50/50 chance that she is alive or dead, then you should report that. If you feel the evidence points to her being alive then you should report that. But this reporting one thing while stating anouther, speaks of political motivations on your own part.
    I made a report, and shared my personal opinion, to which I am allowed I believe as a freelance reporter. I have no political ambitions, neither do I have political affiliations within or outside the CoT.

Like I suggested before, feel free to publish your own article on the situation.
    Last edited by Noticiero; Aug 3rd, 2006 at 01:04:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Noticiero
    Feel free to publish your own article on the situation. It is what we do, after all.
    There is freedom and then their is abuse of freedom.

There are a great many of us who believe that you altered the logs of your talk with Lady Xaun in order to make a more sensational report and have said so many times in the past.

Time and time again I hear that the clans represent freedom and that the CoT is not the Clan Government but a forum for ideas. And yet when some one exercises that freedom in a way that they believe is for the betterment of the Clans they are berated, accused of being a traitor, to follow everyone else and that they are commiting treason against the CoT.

Omni-Tek may have a legion of faults, but atleast you knew where things stood over all, here in the clans it is said things are more simple, less restricting. Was there some fine print that I missed that said that all promices of the clans are on the condition that you tote the line and act like a good little drone?

If the CoT is not the clan govenrment or any kind of govenrment at all, then why is it that they can so often tell the clans what to do? The situation in Borealis, a close vote that end with the CoT telling the clans to not get involved there. Negotiating meetings between Omin and Neutral governments, why are they able to do that if they are not representing the clans as some kind of leadership center.

With every passing meeting I feel that the CoT has slipped farther and farther from its original lofty ideals and has become more about forming a coalition of power so that a few can have power over many.

Many of those who say that she is not dead but infact is pulling some kind of stunt to gain supporters for her cause have been those who feel their own personal power threatoned by what she proposed and it is those same people who accuse her of treason against the CoT and against the clans.

Her hope for the UCN was to see the CoT evolve into it, to see the clans take their rightful place as a legal entity with leaders that the majority of the clans could agree on, laws that the majority of the people would wish to follow, something that would listen to all the voices that care to be heard from the clans and do its best for all of them.

Alive, dead or other this is not a stunt that she cooked up to make her self a myrter or to gain support for her ideals.

One of my assets in life has been that I often learn very quickly, and this past month has seen me learn some very interesting things.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it is has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Want to learn how to roleplay? Click Here for ideas! Looking for other Roleplayers? /tell channel42 !join and meet them! Want a larger source for RP? Go to www.ao-universe.com

Quote Originally Posted by Twistshot

There are a great many of us who believe that you altered the logs of your talk with Lady Xaun in order to make a more sensational report and have said so many times in the past.
    I really hate bringing up old skeletons like this.. but... what I recall was the exact oppisite.

I remember the public flamefest, and eventually looseing intrest all together. The big question on if the inverveiw was altered was, what was Noticiero's motiveation for doing so? ratings? At the time Xaun was a known name yes, but Noticiero could have created much more buzz if he altered Godfray's or Astera's interveiw since they were both clerical staff. Scandal ratings go up with bigger titles. Also at the time Xaun's record, aside from the very public sentinel bashing(s) , was very very squeaky clean.

To wrap it up, She has talked like this before in private to others she trusted. Her hatred for Silverstone and any one that smiled at his was legendary. She's also be quoted several times stating the CoT was too heavy with sentinel infulance, and how much she wanted to change that. why on earth she'd openly tell a reporter, whom she knew would be broadcasting it, is beyond me.

Now can we just let her rest in peace, and/or find her, and quit ****ing bickering?

it's the past! it won't change!

Edit: it's been brought to my attention that It's seems like I'm takeing sides. granted yes I'm a bit sore about things that were said *IN THE PAST*. but. as said it was *IN THE PAST* as in a long fecking time ago. I was trying to make the point that the who and what was said when was all kinds of fubar.

this quote: "what I recall was the exact oppisite." means very simpley that many people that I talked to had no idea what to think, and after the secound week of bickering, many just didn't give a damn.

Honestly I have my oppinions. I think I've been clear the other times I spoke up.
    Last edited by Kotts; Aug 3rd, 2006 at 06:07:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotts
    I really hate bringing up old skeletons like this.. but... what I recall was the exact oppisite.
    Let me be more clear. Many of us refers to those in Aethyr and her freinds also many dose not mean all.