Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I would encourage those of you to not buy the Booster Pack

Originally posted by Shub
    I would encourage those of you to STFU
    Say That Funcoms Uber?

Palease ... I do have a reputation to think of you know ..

Makes no sense..

I've been reading these posts since the FC press release on the Booster Pack, and honestly I'm more than a little bemused (or is it confused?)... to put it mildly. I am not a big poster (no future Superleet here ) but I finally felt I had to voice my opinion. Seems to me that some people playing this game must be on a very tight finacial string if they manage to get so worked up about paying 10-15 $ (or whatever the price will be) for additional content and features added to this game. To me this does not make sense, it's probably no more than what you throw at a few packs of cigarettes or some 6-packs of beer (depending on your particular vice). So why the intensity, why the flaming of others because of their views and why putting so much effort into getting people not to buy it? If they by doing this also get people to not start playing AO or maybe even to stop playing AO, what then? Unless that is the real objective? And dont go arguing about this being promised and that we are being screwed. I dont buy that argument at all, and I dont feel the least bit screwed (there is btw plenty of stuff on these boards disputing such views anyway).

I dont mind paying this kinda price for the booster and then something similar (or probably a bit more) for the Shadowland expansion as long as I enjoy the game and make lots of friends there (what the heck I've been paying similar amounts or more for add-ons to other games). And I really do like it and I do play it a lot. Hey, of course it would be nice if we could have everything for free, but be realistic. It took plenty of time and money to develop this game, it takes money to keep it running, it takes money to add features and content and just plain maintenance, and it takes money to have guys the like of Cz and Cosmik doing their stuff etc. etc. And finally Funcom needs to make a bit of profit, or there will not be any AO in the end.

Saying this does not make me a fanboy or defender of FC, but I am a fan of the game AO cause I really do enjoy playing it. Sure there is lag and occasional instabilities but they really dont bother me that much. Sure I would like to see some additional means of gaining XP beyond killing mobs. Sure I would like to do other stuff than running to BS 3-4 times for team missions every time I log in. But I only do that because i want those levels, cause there really are plenty of other places to go and things to do, even for a lvl139 agent (which is my highest char atm). And the coming patches, booster and expansion will even improve on that.

The day I dont enjoy AO anymore I will most likely go somewhere else, but with plenty of good memories from my time on Rubi-Ka. And I'll go quietly.
    Hammerr
    member of Tigre Claw

Also Kenih (trader), Rujin (doc), Vargas (keeper), Haimatzu (MA)

Originally posted by Lequack
    Why should we PAY for a booster pack while the game is still infested with bugs? Fix the existing bugs before launching anything else!

to prove my point im gonna list a few of the bugs I encounter on a daily basis.

Vehicle scaling bug
    Battle suit scaling bug
    Battle suit Weapon visibility and animation
    Battle suit Skin texture bug
    Tank armor Shoulderpad position bug
    Decranum MK1 helmet, Shades of lub. and White sack mesh bug
    1000 Token Board missing stat
    Mob Shooting while casting
    Mob Shooting through walls
    Mob Shooting after death
    Mob unaffected by skill drains
    Mob unaffected by calms in special situations
    Team healthbar not showing correctly
    Pet pathing
    Pets not responding in some situations
    Invalid mission keys
    "Accept mission" bug
    Client/Server time not in sync
    Buff timeout bug
    Weapon recharge bug

Bottomline... why should we pay for a patch when the game is not even relatively bugfree. Now... If i had more faith in FC i wouldnt mind too much but with all the ugly stunts they have pulled in the last year im just not going to sit back and say ok ill buy your booster pack.

Well, I see where you are coming from, but you can't name one MMORG that is bug free. There are scores of bugs in almost all of them. The best the companies can do is keep squashing them and move on. I think AO, at its current state is relatively bug free. The vast majority of the game plays well enough that I don't have any issues with playing the game.

On that line of thinking, you shouldn't play any MMORG because there will always be bugs to contend with as new patches and content are added. It's just the name of the game. Things have improved in AO by leaps and bounds since release.

Altaire

Looks like I missed this thread when closing those who are about buying / not buying. Sorry, gonna take this one too. I will comment a few things first though, which I am sure are misunderstandings, some from before the booster pack announcement.

the concept of land ownership and the "capture the flag" scenarios were promised as a normal patch
    I only know about the killing of outpost guards to have them respawn as guards of your side. That's quite different from land control.
    Funcom has cancelled its projects
    Nope, we haven't.
    They fired many employes <...> including all of the Midgaard staff and coders
    Nope. I didn't know the full Midgard team, but I know the big majority (possibly all) of them are still at Funcom.
    They have also cancelled ALL future Profession content
    Huh? Where ever did you get that from? Anyhow, it's not correct.

Lequack, we will work on fixing bugs all the way up till release of the booster pack, and continue to do so all the time after that.
    If we buy this booster pack we will have to pay for Guildhousing, future content patches, Static dungeons like Smugglers den, Profession balance patches and eventually "Item boosters"...
    Charging people for things like item packs and such is not an option, I'm sure. However, content like dungeons, items and such will of course be in expansion pack in addition to patches. That's kind'a the definition of an expansion pack ("lots of new content"), isn't it?

Ok, I'm off to work on my tan. If you'd like to carry any of the discussions on in another forum or another form, please do. Buying / not buying is just not a topic here. Thank you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123