Thread: Just Another Day On Rubi-Ka (Part I)

Just Another Day On Rubi-Ka (Part I)

((Ok this is part one of a longer story. I was planning to post the whole story in one post, but part two is takening longer then expected. Not to mention the lenght of the story as a whole is quite bookish. And I've been meaning to post something new so I'm posting part one. The story as a whole is three events in a day of Foosball life on Rubi-Ka. The story takes place a few months ago, I would say right after Nulion came out and said he joined the Legion, for those that are following that story. ))

He sat there on the ground with his back against the five foot concrete partition loading his Custom Desert Reets. He always admired the guns, how they balanced in his hands. Strangely the guns were not made for him, originally; they were made for his father here on Rubi-Ka some time ago when their new owner was still young. Although his father could handle the guns quite well, and was a deadly shot. The guns never fit his father’s hands perfectly like they fitted his. He would wonder sometimes if his father had really had them made for him, somehow knowing one day his child would return to this planet and need them to help him make his new life.

His thoughts about his father and the guns they shared were cut short by the sound of the onslaught of bullets eroding the partition his back laid against, with the stray few flying over his head. With his guns fully loaded again he was back to reality, back on the job and pined down by his would be assailant. The noise of the barrage of bullets interrupted by taunts from the gunman saying, “Me have a new toy now, me smash you good”. Sitting there his thoughts when back to his job and how to get rid of this problem is his way.

“I don’t know how this Rhinoman got his hands machine gun, or who was the genius that thought it was a good idea to teach the damn thing how to shoot? But this has to stop now. I have a job to do and ending up in reclaim is not an option.” Thinking out loud and hearing the sound of his voice motivated him sometimes, kept him grounded in what need to be done at the moment. His thoughts did stray for a second thinking the person who taught the Rhinoman to shoot probably got shot in the process. The image put a brief smile on his face, “Ok enough foolishness, time to make a plan”.

He looked around trying to find something to help him get out of the spot he was in. Moving his eyes toward the ceiling, then he saw his chance and made his plan. He noticed the shiny metal air vent above him going across the room. He spun his body around to get flat on his back and facing the partition and the attacker behind it, being careful not to poke his head up. Up and down the length of the vent he searched for the best place to aim, and he found the thick metal bracer holding up the vent. Using the reflection he could now see the Rhinoman. It was now time for him to put an end to this conflict.

Using the full advantage of his brain, eye, and arm implants, he calculated the exact spot where he needed to aim. With the numbers all in place he raised his right arm getting his gun at the perfect angle so his shot could ring true. It was going to be close but he didn’t doubt for a second in his ability when it came to killing, no matter how unorthodox it might be. With all the data in place, his gun ready, he squeezed the trigger sending his message to the Rhinoman to stop with deadly accuracy.

A moment after the blast of his gun, the endless wave of lead from his attacker ceased. The silence of the gun fire was broken by a loud grunt followed by a thud which shook the floor. Getting up he walked around the partition and moved to the Rhinoman’s, now laying on the ground with blood flowing from his head, feet. He looked up to see the dent in the bracer where is bullet had ricocheted into his targets skull, he raised his left gun from his side and shot two more bullets into his chest. Rhinomen were tough kills and he wasn’t about to take any chances. Had this been a person he might have been able to talk his way out of the fight, Rhinomen as he had discovered during his time here were not ones to negotiate.

The quiet of the event was cut short as he heard a scurrying sounds scraping along the metal floor. Either from the silence or the smell of fresh blood, three “Sand Mantis” emerged into the room from the doorway in front of him. He quickly raised his guns and began firing at the new obstacles now in the way of completing his mission. Three bullets soared through the air two of which found their way to new homes instantly killing two of the mantis. The third was stopped by the leg, now lying severed and twitching on the floor, of mantis still alive in an attempt to defend itself. Still charging at it’s pray. The mantis was halted from its attack and pushed back from the moment of a newly fired bullet, swiftly ending its life.

Walking over the carnage of his skill he left the room, now unblocked by any obstacles, and entered the hallway in front of him. Heading down the darkened corridor he kept on the look-out for any new threats trying to keep him from completing his task. “It’s always the same” he thought to himself now frustrated with the amount of lead spent and blood spilled on what, he felt, should be a simple and peaceful mission. Moving closer to the door at the end of the hall, “Whether it’s delivering emergence medical supplies to someone in need, or fixing a simple relay of some sorts, I always seem to find myself fighting for my life.” His thoughts stop for a moment as he slowly opens the door in front of him, getting ready for anything that might jump out at him.

To his surprise the room was empty of any aggressor, and standing in the center was the radar station he was suppost to repair. “No matter what the job is there’s always someone or something laying in wait for some fool to feed upon.” He bends down to his knees and opens the access panel. “Oh, don’t worry about it. It’s a simple in and out job. Just go in and replace bad relay board with the good one, that’s all. And did I forget to mention the place will be teaming with all types of things wanting to kill you, oh well never mind about that. Trust me it’s an easy job.” He pulls out the no longer working relay board and replaces it with the new one given to him when he took the assignment. “And they wonder why these things always break down. The place was crawling with all sorts of critters.” He stands up and presses the reset button, and checks the reading to make sure everything is in working order. “Well I guess it’s cheaper to hire some fool like me to come down and fix things as apposed to hiring a full time staff.” Seeing that everything is in order he heads back way he came, walking a little easier feeling slightly secured he’s removed anything threat to him. “In a month this thing will probably be broken yet again, and they’ll either get me or some other poor sap just trying to make buck, back in here.”

Moving closer to the exit he turns his personal com. back on, “Well I guess there are no easy jobs here on Rubi-Ka” his last thoughts to himself fade away as contacts the employer for this job. His com. connection go on quick and clear and before he can utter a word a voice on the other end says, “Ah, Mr. Cross I take it you have completed you mission”? His voice always sounded a bit too jovial, but he was a solid OT contact. Before being able to respond the employer continues, “Well I trust everything is in order, the agreed upon credits will be transferred to your account. If you are interested, I have another job for you. It’s one of “those jobs”, if you know what I mean.” He knew right away by how he dragged out the word “those” what type of job is was. As much as he hated to do that kind of work, it did offer him certain freedoms, and of course they did pay very well.

“Yeah, I’ll take the job, as long as it’s with in my agreed guidelines”, part of him sometimes couldn’t believe it was really his voice when he would take these jobs.

“Excellent Mr. Cross, I knew I could count on you. Your contact will be outside waiting for you with you mission information and of course the tools you will need to complete the assignment. Do you have any questions or anything to add Mr. Cross?”

“No I’m good, Cross out.” Closing the connecting to his employer he headed for the exit. As he got to the door he placed his guns back into there retractable holders in his sleeves. With his guns now hidden, secure, but still at the ready should he need them he opened the door and headed outside into the sunlight. For a moment he had to raise his hand to shield his eyes, while his pupils adjusted from the low lit building he just left to the bright outdoors where he now stood.

Just as he was told a man came walking up to him, “Um, Mr. Cross?”?
    “Yeah that’s me. I take it you have a package for me”, he looked the man up and down. He was plainly dress blending into a crowd would not be a problem he thought, as he pull out a small card to confirm who he was. The package holder look as if he was scared to death, he was probably just some poor intern who had no clue as to why he was on a deserted street delivering a package to some ruff looking thug. Pulling out a small type of ID card, “Here, I’m sure you need to see this first” he took pity on the guy showing him the ID before he could ask.
    “Ah, thank you Mr. Cross”, he held out a package about the size of a Leet and handed it over, “This is for you then. Now if you don’t mind I would like to be on my way”?
    He gave the skittish delivery man a nod of approval as he took the box and walked away in the other direction.

Eyeing a small bench across the way, he walked over and took a much needed sit. As he sat there relaxing he opened the box to review the contents. Inside were the usual items he would need to complete the job. Temporary access and ID cards, a photo, a name, and an object inside a dark cloth pouch. He knew what was in the pouch there was no need to look. Noting he had everything to complete the new assignment, he took the objects along with his helmet and placed them in his sub-space containment unit and pulled out his shades. With is sunglasses now easing the bright glare of the sun he sat there arms stretched out, and relaxing for the moment.
    Last edited by FoosballX; Jun 26th, 2006 at 16:29:34.