Thread: Why don't fix all the bugs before releasing an add-on ?

Why don't fix all the bugs before releasing an add-on ?

There still LOTS of bugs left to be fixed. Why don't you concentrate on that instead ?

I like the idea of an add-on, but your timing is not good.

In case you want a list : http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...=&threadid=943
    Last edited by Aguitha; Aug 15th, 2002 at 17:24:16.
    Aguitha, Engineer
    Cratisha, Bureaucrat

Basically for two reasons:

You don't pay for bug fixes and

some old bugs will never be fixed.

dont pay????

What? We don't pay for bug fixes?

Thats odd.... my Visa bill has a charge from Funcom each and every month. Maybe I should contest the bill...

The bill is to play the game, and have it maintained.
    -- Falling never killed anyone, its always the landing.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    RK-1
    |OT|
    Telgi-61 Solitus Enforcer
    Gauf-31 Nanomage Doctor
    Saruzi- -=128=- Opifex Nano-Technician.
    Manstien-44 Solitus Soldier

Re: Why don't fix all the bugs before releasing an add-on ?

Originally posted by Aguisha
    There still LOTS of bugs left to be fixed. Why don't you concentrate on that instead ?

I like the idea of an add-on, but your timing is not good.

In case you want a list : http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...=&threadid=943
    No kidding. Too many bugs still present in the game to be thinking about expansions & boosters.
    .: Naraya :.

Originally posted by Saruzi
    The bill is to play the game, and have it maintained.
    And maintaining the game means fixing buggs. And since they released the game before being able to add the stuff they promised would be in the game it should also include adding these things in patches.
    Troll Commando, doing the dirty work that need to be done.

You don't pay for bug fixes and
    LOL really ??? I don't pay for bug fixes ? Can't believe some peoples !
    Aguitha, Engineer
    Cratisha, Bureaucrat

Well, let me put it another way, you pay for bug fixes as part of your routine monthly subscription. You don't pay 'extra' for them. Believe me or not, that's your choice.

We pay for:

1. Server Maintnence.
    2. Employee Wages
    3. Patches/Bugfixes/New Content.

And apparently we also get pay-to-view advertisements for the very content we thought we were getting in the first place.

just to point out, that bill means exactly what FC want it to mean. You pay to play the game, nothing more. Companies generally take that to mean updates + bug fixs (because if they didn't they wouldnt last long ), but ultimatly its up to Funcom, and not you, What you pay your $12.95 each month for.

hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

And of course ultimatly up to us if we want to continue pay, if they change what subscription gives us.
    Troll Commando, doing the dirty work that need to be done.

Again..

If they fixed the bugs, maintained and fixed the professions through the balance patches they were doing, concentrated on increasing game performance - and did this until the expansion came out - no one would be thinking of leaving because they would appreciate the effort.

If Funcom did this type of strategy they would keep players. Then release the expansion and go with the new philosophy of expansion + boosters to increase their profit while maintaining the idea of peformance + bug fixes.

Re: Again..

Originally posted by Drabin
    If they fixed the bugs, maintained and fixed the professions through the balance patches they were doing, concentrated on increasing game performance - and did this until the expansion came out - no one would be thinking of leaving because they would appreciate the effort.

If Funcom did this type of strategy they would keep players. Then release the expansion and go with the new philosophy of expansion + boosters to increase their profit while maintaining the idea of peformance + bug fixes.
    Drabin, I'm at work right now and just finished playing AO on my 'test machine' here at the job. This is just to show you how maybe, just maybe some technical issues aren't always the responsibility of the software developer

My 'test machine' is as follows:
    • AMD Athlon 1.2 ghz on a FIC AZ11E motherboard with onboard sound.
    • Xtacsy Geforce2 MX400 PCI (I'll explain the PCI in a moment).
    • 1.5 gigs ram
    • 200 gigs HD Space
    • 1.5 mb/s cable modem
    • Operating System: MS Windows .NET Enterprise Server Beta RC1
    • DirectX: Version 9 Beta

Now, in order to get the OS loaded, I had to uninstall the Asus Geforce2 MX400 AGP I had installed due to a setup error. The OS also doesn't recognize any DirectX version prior to the beta 9 release, so that was kinda required as well. AO runs fine on this machine both in 800x600x32 windowed mode and 1152x864x32 Fullscreen (same as my desktop mode). I've yet to be dc'ed from the servers, crash, or generally encounter anything odd while playing on this machine. And it's hardware/software combo would definately qualify as 'Not Supported'.

Nothing to do with supporting FC or anything. But I've worked support for software developers before. Not everything is cut and dried

P.S.:
    Oops...I'll take that back. Problem: Alt-Tab doesn't seem to be working while in windowed mode. Just noticed that when I reloaded AO and tried to switch to a background window
    Last edited by Kuroshio; Aug 20th, 2002 at 17:25:30.
    History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris

The first faults are theirs that commit them, the second theirs that permit them. - Unknown

Did you ever get the feeling that the world had an abundance of idiots? And that God had arranged for you to meet every single one of them before you died? - Kuroshio

Smile Yes please, i'll take both..

Hmmm some folks like to have their cake and eat it. Additional content and bug fixes. Dont't we all? So when we do get a little of both what's wrong then? Bah its not enough of this and too much of that - or the wrong this and the wrong that. Since it's not possible to make everyone happy all the time I guess we also have to live with somebody being unhappy all the time. Just funny that it often seems to be the same ones regardless of what is being done?

Maybe I've been lucky - but I really don't think so - but I can't say I have had significantly more problems or bugs in this game than in any other games I've played (right I did not play it during 2001). And I do see bug fixes coming out fairly regularly. Maybe I do not always get fixes the way I would like them to be, but that is OK too, me not being the only player on Rubi-Ka. Honestly it is not possible to fix all bugs in this game (as anyone involved in software development would know). Also I prefer seeing some additional content added from time to time even if that means some bugs will stay around a little longer.
    Hammerr
    member of Tigre Claw

Also Kenih (trader), Rujin (doc), Vargas (keeper), Haimatzu (MA)