Thread: Land Control Uglyness

Land Control Uglyness

Ok if you havent seen it here it is, pay special attention to the second paragraph.

Quote from press release on booster packs:

"Existing areas of Rubi-Ka will be opened up for control by player organizations. A "controller" is purchased by the organization and placed in the area they wish to hold. The controller then mines notum, the element unique to Rubi-Ka used in advanced nano-technology across the galaxy. Members will gain personal and organizational benefits and advantages from their notum mine, including skill and experience bonuses, land-holder titles, and more.

The exciting part is that a controller can be destroyed by enemies such as other players and creatures within the world. Protection of the controller will be managed through placing permanent towers in the surrounding area. Towers will have both defensive and offensive abilities, and a tower’s attributes will be based on the cumulative skills and abilities of members in the organization. Booster owners can also place personal, temporary towers in almost any area for time-limited bonuses. "

So basically land control = Uber Organization Gankerdom Land. Small close knit organizations will not be able to compete with large Uber Orgs. Smaller organizations trying to set up thier own mining facilities can easily be run off by larger organizations because "a tower’s attributes will be based on the cumulative skills and abilities of members in the organization."

This has obviously been poorly planned and is wide open to grief play but does funcom care? Nooo, and why should they care? Players have been asking for pvp range caps over lvl 75 ever sinse high levelers started ganking people half thier level, does funcom respond? no, they just act like its a part of the game you should deal with.

Grief and Aggrivation are not why i sit down to play this game. I sit down to play to talk with the friends I have made online and have a good time, not have everything i worked to build be destroyed by some prepubecent pud with a chemical imbalance in his brain, and this just promotes that.

Re: Land Control Uglyness

Originally posted by Melbringi

"Existing areas of Rubi-Ka will be opened up for control by player organizations. A "controller" is purchased by the organization and placed in the area they wish to hold. The controller then mines notum, the element unique to Rubi-Ka used in advanced nano-technology across the galaxy. Members will gain personal and organizational benefits and advantages from their notum mine, including skill and experience bonuses, land-holder titles, and more.

The exciting part is that a controller can be destroyed by enemies such as other players and creatures within the world. Protection of the controller will be managed through placing permanent towers in the surrounding area. Towers will have both defensive and offensive abilities, and a tower’s attributes will be based on the cumulative skills and abilities of members in the organization. Booster owners can also place personal, temporary towers in almost any area for time-limited bonuses. "
    Hey - this sounds cool. Making more room for the conflict to evolve!

Yes - bigger orgs would benefit from this. But realisticly - size do matter when you are in a conflict - no matter what side you're on.

Epoz - not even in an org yet :-)

bla bla bla

If you think an uber guild is coing to dominate, join one.

As for me, I am presently in an Uber guild, a normal guild and a nerf guild. I have decided against switching all to the uber because I believe there will be some candy and protection for the nerf guilds.
    PLEASE, give use a simple YES or no answer as to whether or not the CoH chests can be opened

Upgrade?

I have mixed feelings about this patch. On the positive side I see it as potentially adding a new dimension to the game. Something new is certainly desperately needed to keep us interested. However I see several potential problems with the patch as well.....

1) griefing
    2) money sink
    3) Going to spend huge amounts of time energy and money (towers are going to be tradeskill apparently) to build towers only to have them torn down continuously and start all over again (very frustrating) OR they are too difficult to assualt, servers are too lagy so nobody even bothers after the 1st week (also very frustrating). As a result, players loose interest in the whole concept very quickly.
    4) Based on FC's track record, the 'mini-expansion' is going to be buggy and only partially implemented because it is more important to them to make sure they have a 'box' on the shelf at Xmas than to provide a quality product.
    5) If your not in a guild then too bad for you.
    6) The expansion is dramatically going to change the nature of the game from a clan versus omni war into guild wars.

I really do hope I am wrong. I would really like to see them get something right and boost the playability of the game substantially. Guess we will see in time.......

the reason im upset here is that this does not factor for gurella combat tactics. Some uber guild with tons of memebers and a huge skill base will have towers totally untouchable by anyone. they will simply be able to build towers next to a smaller guilds tower and smite it at will. I will not join a uber guild just for the hell of it, I like my clan and i like the people in it. Joining some huge guild where you dont know half the people in it just doesnt appeal to me, i was in one in eq for shear necessity but preffer not to be in one. It bothers me that funcom is just turning this game into another eq where you must be in the biggest baddest guild out there to be able to advance yourself.

Attributes on mining and defense towers should be static and the players should be given the task of providing a scaled defense, hell im 136 and there really isnt anything to do but level so sitting out defending/attacking mines sounds fun, i just dont want to have to be part of an uber clan to participate.

The major problem is that this has been obviously ill thought out. No detailed imput from players has been taken or requested, there isnt even a faq for shadowlands posted or a list of features they plan to have. This will be the introduction of more bugs more grief and more player exoduses.

Future Funcom Press Release: 'We have had to freeze the org mining/mine defense operations to stop a major exploit, we know who the players are that commited this exploit and are in the process of banning them.'