Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OTPC: Omni-AF ship shot out of the sky

Good points, but not convincing.

First of all, a weapon that can 'vanish' a ship that size is either pumping out enough energy that shielding and armor becomes a moot point as it will strip and desintegrate those in seconds, or shorter. And even though our oldest ships are getting a bit on in years, only the most state of the art (as in our very latest ships) have any upgrade in capacity that would make any real difference against such a weapon.

So either we have a weapon that can pump out horrendous amounts of energy, or is working on another kind of principle than energy transferal. (Creating dimensional rifts? Creating a localised temporary singularity? The possibilitys are easily in the thousands.) And against such a weapon there would be no defence, as the opponent would simply not know what to defend against.

Second, propaganda is a valuable tool in all kinds of warfare that is true, but propaganda only works when you can say "Hey! Look at us! Look what we can do!" and then demonstrate in some appropriate impressive manner what your new toy can do. Setting it of and then let the scuttlebut run lose will cause nervous feelings in all factions. This case being OT, Clans, Neutrals and ICC, not to mention pretty much everyone else. And that´s just not good for business.

"A good general never looses a battle, a great general never has to fight a battle."
    I was trounced over the head with that statement too, and i´ll agree that it does have merit. How ever, for a general to go through an entire career without having to engage in battle shows that that general is either working under an era of peace, or is one of those "General in charge of procuring rivets" desk jockeys. And i can tell you that it takes one hell of a general to go through an active career undefeated. It happens so rarely that i for one can´t think of an example through out history.

That means that publicity is a very important tool in warfare. It's tied for first place (alongside logistics) when talking operational and tactical issues but it stands alone at the top strategically.
    Propaganda is top of strategical, yes. How ever, the "publicity" you are refering to in Ops and Tactics is called "Keep it silent, keep it secret" and "Disinformation". The old saying "Lose lips sinks ships, breaks hips and spines and skulls" is still true. When going active you don´t want the enemy knowing anything at all what you are realy up to. They can chase all the spooks they want, but you want the surprise 100% on your side if at all possible.
    "On the frontlines, there is but one commandment...
    Thou Shalt Kill."

"As i stride knee deep through the dead, all is clear. I know what must be done...
    My cause is just...My will is strong...
    ...And my gun is very, very large!"
    The words of a true soldier.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhairs
    So either we have a weapon that can pump out horrendous amounts of energy, or is working on another kind of principle than energy transferal. (Creating dimensional rifts? Creating a localised temporary singularity? The possibilitys are easily in the thousands.) And against such a weapon there would be no defence, as the opponent would simply not know what to defend against.
    As you say, it can be a weapon which does somthing entirely different - it was a fairly new ship and it went poof like a Brontoburger at a 'Trox convention.
    Or, once again, it can be something that only looks like a weapon in the effect that we can see, that is a vanished ship.
    What would a teleporter's result look like if you didn't kow what it was? Yeah, a vanished ship.
    We must by necessity keep an open mind about what caused this. For all we know it could be them little aliens playing tricks. So any and all information is important to gather, no matter the source - short of atrocities, of course.
    Second, propaganda is a valuable tool in all kinds of warfare that is true, but propaganda only works when you can say "Hey! Look at us! Look what we can do!" and then demonstrate in some appropriate impressive manner what your new toy can do. Setting it of and then let the scuttlebut run lose will cause nervous feelings in all factions. This case being OT, Clans, Neutrals and ICC, not to mention pretty much everyone else. And that´s just not good for business.
    And you think anyone is going to tick off OT if OT can make their ships go poof?
    I'd say that's very good for business, much less people to cause grief to our earnings..
    Sometimes it is way more efficient to let people get worked up about somethinng and then come out and say, "Oh yeah - we came up with that while looking for a cure for road rash.. nifty, don't you tink?"
    The thing that worries people the most is the unknown..
    How ever, for a general to go through an entire career without having to engage in battle
    I don't think there ever was one, but then, I don't think that's the point either.
    I'd guess that the idea is that like anyone else a general officer must learn his trade (ie do battle, loosing one here and there - learning by mistake, as it were) but he can advance in skill to become one of those great generals.
    ((I'm not sure what they did to the loosing general in Sun-Tzu's time - some regions/times have seen the loosing side's commanders killed off, iirc the Roman era was fond of this approach, as it reduced the number of potential slave uprisings, seeing how survivours were sold off as slaves to fund the campaign - pay for the troops and such. I know that some generals/princes were allowed to live but only if they surrendered I think.))
    Propaganda is top of strategical, yes. How ever, the "publicity" you are refering to in Ops and Tactics is called "Keep it silent, keep it secret" and "Disinformation". The old saying "Lose lips sinks ships, breaks hips and spines and skulls" is still true. When going active you don´t want the enemy knowing anything at all what you are realy up to. They can chase all the spooks they want, but you want the surprise 100% on your side if at all possible.
    Ermm.. you don't want the enemy to know your plans, sure, or your strengths and weakneses to the letter, you want him to think you have no weakneses and that you're way stronger than you are, preferably way stronger than him too.. then he won't fight you and even if he tries his troops will be too intimidated to be effective..
    Anoter thing my friend told me is, for a soldier there are two mortal sins, to overestimate his opponent and to underestimate his opponent.
    That's why disinformation is so high on the list.
    Just who do you think will be focused on a battle if they know some supergun is aimed at them? If they doubt that they can get resupplied? Reinforced? Evaced?
    Believe me, they'll be so busy shaking in their armorpants they will forget most of what they learned in bootcamp..
    Me? Trouble? No trouble..

As Mae West said: "Never resist temptation, you don't know if you'll get another chance."

Mystery shooter 1 Omni-Tek 0

*cheers* Go mystery shooter!!
    ~ Roger "Shadowset" Garanti (Member Clan Assembly)
    ~ Andrew "Boomtastic" Domtar (Member Clan Assembly)
    ~ Ta "Bloudless" Butcher (Member of the NLF)
    ~ Caviler "Cynotor" (Member of the NLF)
    ~ Chef "Ironox" (Member of the NLF)

Public files on Shadowset
    Ironox and Cooking with Iron!

Quote Originally Posted by Kahava
    Anoter thing my friend told me is, for a soldier there are two mortal sins, to overestimate his opponent and to underestimate his opponent.
    That's why disinformation is so high on the list.
    Are you sure the first one wasn't overestimating themselves? If you overestimate an enemy wouldn't you be better prepared for something they throw against you?
    "How do you prove you exist..?
    Maybe we don't exist..."
    - Vivi FFIX
    FFVIII is extremely underrated. It pwns j00!
    I have a custom title and you don't... oh wait, you do
    I have more posts than Satenia

::::: HugeMap is old, CSPmap is new! (Website) (Download) :::::

Quote Originally Posted by Tianai
    Are you sure the first one wasn't overestimating themselves? If you overestimate an enemy wouldn't you be better prepared for something they throw against you?
    No.

Overestimating yourself is the equivalent of underestiamting your opponent: you get complacent and don't take the prudent precautions, like having the correct number of troops ready, enough supplies, enough logistics capacity.
    Leading to high casualties and possibly your defeat..

Overestimating your enemy makes you not take the appropriate risks, as you believe that the enemy has already covered all the bases, leaving you without initiative, always planning defensively - leading to your forces being very well suited for defence and quite illsuited for offense. but with the added disadvantage that you believe any assault to be made by an overly powerful enemy, ruining morale throughout your forces: don't for a second believe that the troops won't pick up on your rather mixed feelings. Scuttlebutt will overcome.

[[There have been many occasions through history which bear out Sun-Tzu on this, cases where the outcome of battle doesn't match the roster of the involved armies.
    Morale is a very important weapon. So is a correct assessment of the opponent..]]

As Mae West said: "Never resist temptation, you don't know if you'll get another chance."

id like to throw my own theory in there and say it was a high powered cannon fired from the alien home planet and the weapon being transfered was prolly our means of taking this super cannon out. just wanted to put my 2 cents in

Quote Originally Posted by cdogg421
    id like to throw my own theory in there and say it was a high powered cannon fired from the alien home planet and the weapon being transfered was prolly our means of taking this super cannon out. just wanted to put my 2 cents in
    Impossable. The distance, movement of stelar bodies and gravitation fluxuations would make aiming the weapon impossable
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it is has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Gurney "Twistshot" Halleck

Want to learn how to roleplay? Click Here for ideas! Looking for other Roleplayers? /tell channel42 !join and meet them! Want a larger source for RP? Go to www.ao-universe.com

Remember Twist, nothing is imposible, just highly improbible.

I mean look at reclaim. A few thousand years back if I said I could shoot anyone in the head on the planet of rubi-ka and that they would either heal them selves right back up or die but be reborn, I would be looked at like I was crazy and most likely locked up in an asylem for the safety of those people I might shoot in the head.

Yes, however the uniqe planetary conditions of Rubi-Ka is what makes Reclaim possable. There is no way to send an energy beam like the one that vaporised the cargo ship from who knows where to here. One thing that would prevent it is that the energy required to make a energy blast that can reach hundreds of thousands, maybe even millions of light years in distance would result in the energy attack being a planet killer attack.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it is has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Gurney "Twistshot" Halleck

Want to learn how to roleplay? Click Here for ideas! Looking for other Roleplayers? /tell channel42 !join and meet them! Want a larger source for RP? Go to www.ao-universe.com

Actually, not per-say. As you can see stars this is already an indication that energy comes from one solar system to another. What is to say that an Alien race couldn't figure out a way to target that energy to another specific planet to take out a specific ship at a specific time? As I say it is fairly improbable, but Humans themselves have done a lot of highly improbable things lately.

While it is true that the beam could travel quite a distance given enough energy, how would they know exactly where the ship would be at the time of the beams arrival? Think about how long the energy would be traveling to reach us.
    I'd say this is definatly something closer to home than some sort of ailen bombardment.
    Maybe we don't exist..."
    - Vivi FFIX

Actually, it probably is an alien bombardment, but it could have come from an alien ship in orbit. After all, cities are attacked by the aliens on a regular basis.

If that was true, why shoot just one beam? Why a single ship out in the middle of nowhere and not a strategic military target before launching a raid on the nearby city?
    It just doesn't make any sense if it came from an alien source.
    Maybe we don't exist..."
    - Vivi FFIX

While it is true that the beam could travel quite a distance given enough energy, how would they know exactly where the ship would be at the time of the beams arrival? Think about how long the energy would be traveling to reach us.
    Lucky shot?
    I'd say this is definatly something closer to home than some sort of ailen bombardment.
    Yes, I agree. It's a lot more likely that it's a locally generated phenomenon and that the entities responsible for it can be found around here somewhere.

If that was true, why shoot just one beam? Why a single ship out in the middle of nowhere and not a strategic military target before launching a raid on the nearby city?
    Maybe the aliens are developing a new weapon, and this was some kind of test-fire.

Anyone considered the ship was carrying something it shouldn't have been, some dangerous material that was a wee bit unstable that just vaporized the ship after a disagreement with something it interacted with, material or force of some variety? Perhaps even a fold or warp generated from the ship itself, some new technology that's being hidden in the open? If the aliens could launch a bombardment of that magnitude, I doubt we'd be seeing a whole lot our cities intact still. Who it is I don't know, but if it's alien in origin, why would they R&D here on Rubi-Ka and not back home? Battlefield testing perhaps, but I'd think we'd have seen more use by now if that were the case.

A group of fixers didnt warp it into the grid and make of with the equipment, nope not at all, dunno what gave you that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermiaa
    hidden in the open?
    The best place to hide anything, it's the one place noone looks.. Done it a lot, you ever want to try cheating on an exam? Don't hide stuff, just leave it where all can see it.. not that I'd ever do anything like that, of course..
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermiaa
    Who it is I don't know, but if it's alien in origin, why would they R&D here on Rubi-Ka and not back home? Battlefield testing perhaps, but I'd think we'd have seen more use by now if that were the case.
    Yeah, I agree, blaming those pesky aliens for anything is just too convenient.. much more likely to be man-made.
    Interesting times we live in, for sure..

Now, if I could figure out how to fit that thingamajig on my 'bot..

Anyone called the master chief yet hehe, jk. It has AI pinned all over it

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123