Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Paying for Patches?

Also, for the people arguing we are going to be paing twice for the shadowlands expansion now, I just dont see it. Part of a design process for something like this, is you brainstorm (or whatever the new politically correct term for that is now) alot of ideas, and see how they work out. You then take a few of them, and move forward with them, discarding, or putting on a back burner, the rest. For all we know, this idea was one of the ones put on a back burner, or they might be going to take some of their other ideas to add into shadowlands to make up for this being given to us early.

Hugs

lilnymph

ps, just so you know, I'm not a fangirl, the second I stop enjoying this game, I will move onto something else, after all it is only a game. But I HATE stupid arguments, and people wanting everything for free in this world.
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

One FINAL example (I promise to shut up on this thread now, atleast untill someone else posts something )

Alot of the things promised in Windows 95, where never fully realised untill Windows 98. Now, correct me if I am wrong, but you had to pay a rather steap price for a windows 98 upgrade (Assuming you had a legal copy, before some smartarse tells me they downloaded theirs from a warez site )

So basically we should have got 98 free, as a patch to windows 95?

hugs

lilnymph
    Originally posted by Cz

Style over Substance

Whats the problem? Funcom needs cash, if you haven't figured it out yet...they are in a hurt locker for capital. You can expect to pay around $15-$20 for it (just guessing, I think anything less isn't enough to be worthwhile). If you like this game, buy the booster and if not don't - If a company sells you a "lemon" I certainly hope you don't buy more of their products. I understand how it can make you feel buying a "lemon" (least this is an inexpensive one...Ford explorer how I hate you...lalalalala).

I just started playing AO 3 weeks ago - its a sorta ok game, certainly has a quite a few basic gameplay bugs (I really love the stupid NPC AI makes its sooo easy to kill em). I find it interesting and a nice change of pace from the fantasy (EQ/AC/DAOC/UO) MMORPGs out. If I'm still at it when the booster comes out - I'll more than happily buy it.

In long run its about whether you enjoy playing it or not. And why the hell would you play (or pay a monthly fee) a game you don't enjoy?

Wink

Originally posted by lilnymph
    One FINAL example (I promise to shut up on this thread now, atleast untill someone else posts something )

Alot of the things promised in Windows 95, where never fully realised untill Windows 98. Now, correct me if I am wrong, but you had to pay a rather steap price for a windows 98 upgrade (Assuming you had a legal copy, before some smartarse tells me they downloaded theirs from a warez site )

hugs

lilnymph
    Yeah, but even courts agree that MS is Evil Incorperated and need to be keept under close guard.
    Troll Commando, doing the dirty work that need to be done.

heheh, I should have known you would say that Spook

Hugs

lilnymph
    Originally posted by Cz

Style over Substance

Wink

A lot of us trolls was fanboys once.
    /me feel ashamed
    But we got over it, and understod that FC was not up the challange of handling a MMOLRP in either the support or balancing act.

Don´t be angry at those poor fanboys, they don´t know better. So just pitty them and hope them good luck finaly seeing how "Funcomed" FC realy is.

Everybody do understand that Funcomed is a very bad word now that they work hard to get other word from being used.
    Troll Commando, doing the dirty work that need to be done.

Originally posted by Spook
    Everybody do understand that Funcomed is a very bad word now that they work hard to get other word from being used.
    no no no, the word you need to use is belgium, its the worst swear word there is

again, wonders how many people will get her strange reference

hugs

lilnymph
    Originally posted by Cz

Style over Substance

Sorry i dont think i can see any way of justifying paying for patches which bring features which were supposed to be implemented IN THE BEGINNING!

And how many new bugs do you think this new booster will bring? how many bugs still EXIST and have never been fixed? Will FC charge us for the fixes as well?

Sorry FC but you are gonna lose a LOT of subscribers to this and i think you are gonna go under from bad descisions, mismanagement and poor customer relations.

I will prolly stay a month or so till this so called "booster" (read cash cow) is released then... adios

I also doubt highly that AO will last the 4 year term.

Just my personal opinion but wake up and smell the coffee funcom, your customers have put up with a hell of a lot of delays/bugs/broken promises so far, how much more do you think they will stand? do you even care?
    Lazerusenf 88 Atrox Enforcer

no no no, the word you need to use is belgium, its the worst swear word there is

again, wonders how many people will get her strange reference

hugs

lilnymph
    Douglas Adams
    History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris

The first faults are theirs that commit them, the second theirs that permit them. - Unknown

Did you ever get the feeling that the world had an abundance of idiots? And that God had arranged for you to meet every single one of them before you died? - Kuroshio

hugs, well done

lilnymph
    Originally posted by Cz

Style over Substance

hugs

lilnymph
    The main difference between MS windows and AO is that Windows is a product you buy a license to use. When you buy and upgrade, you buy a license to use the new software.

The software product contains the software that is inside the box and support, which you get in the form of service packs or patches for free of the web.

AO is a service, like telephone or cable tv, you pay a upfront signing up fee(software to buy) and you pay a monthly fee to use your service.

Now, the service you are paying for includes a number of things: Connection time, updates, Content, support, etc.

To me and alot of others, that is the difference!

I've seen a lot of People posting both sides on this issue . her's just my 2 cents

First . I do enjoy AO . If i haven't moved onto something else before it comes out . I'll pay for the Booster, and then the expansion. For those that might call me a new fan boy? I've been here thru the thick and thin from Initial release . i played after the uber nerf patch's i played thru the massive lagg in the begining . did i like it? No . did i complain Yes. But Things have become Tremendously Better since release.
    I agree to a sense with what Many of the Booster flamers are Saying . but not exactly what they say. No . Land control was not 'Exactly' supposed to in the release / patch. and don't even try to argue with me on this. There are similarities, and some of it i do agree with should be patched booster or non. but the whole of the scope was not initially offered. The pushing back of Patch's, i don't like, but are liveable, there are a few Prof's that could use a tweak. but if you don't want to pay for the booster. easy . don't pay. but You've heard that before from many others. It's simple realy, It's marketing too. If u need an explanation of how important it is to be on the shelves with something in October - December, especially this Oct-Dec. You shouldn't even be reading this Forum, for you truly have no idea.
    Now, I ask how Many Honestly Played UO from its Original release all the way thru? I started Day 1 and I left when trammel was introduced, tried it a period of time after that . and left again. Now, You want to talk about a game that Started in Beta . and stayed in beta for at least the first year and a half . if not the first 2 years? you want to talk about nerf's? you want to talk about Some Serious Release issues? ok . if u do know, then i don't have to explain, if you don't? glad you weren't there. AO has had its share of issues, exploits, and problems and i've played as far as i know every MMORPG on the market, and Not ONE of them hasn't.
    EQ .. .. ... ..... bleh i don't even want to start. you want to Talk about LEECHING people dry? see Verant.

AC, good concept and in my opinion, probably one of the least bug ridden / exploitable from release . but lacking in many ways and cookie cutter. but a good idea. don't have much to say either way.
    I could go on . but i have pretty much lost my focus..

Bug's? Find a piece of software that doesn't have bugs.. Especially an MMORPG, ohh and then one that doesn't have them occasionally after patching. I've not been affected to adversely by the AO bugs' . some quite annoying, bothersome, troublesome, etc etc etc... but nothing that i couldn't / wouldn't play again.

You want to talk about Stealing? You want to talk about leeching? How many Expansions have you bought so far? How many Extras have you bought so far? How much did you pay for your copy? Oh.. did i hear that right? None? and most of you downloaded for practically nothing?
    Oh i thought FC was stealing from u already. So now they want to add something that (Yes again i'll say it) NOT Specifically mentioned to be in the game, (yes you could argue somantics but then i'll just ask if you have lice) and you don't want to pay for it? I can see the arguement of it not also being Downloadable and pay for the download . but that's moot, If it doesn't effect your EXISTING gameplay don't ***** about it. Maybe funcom needs some money. so they offer something that you may want, and you pay for it. That doesn't sound like stealing, kinda sounds like .. hmm. Buisness? Maybe Capitalism? maybe what all Compaines are in Buisness to do? What do u do if you need money (legitly) ? you offer something you have, that people are willing to pay for. Work its usually called. so where is the Problem in what they have done? u don't HAVE to have the booster to continue playing. so u have made a consumers choice, Fine!
    Now as for telling people how EVIL FC is for trying to conduct, (oops here is that big uncomprehensible word again) Buisness in the idea of making money so they can keep the servers up and working on the game you love to Flame so much,
    that you might have to actually spend some more money on a Booster that you DON'T have to buy, then really you just don't quite understand certain Concepts. I can see how some people could get upset about the patch's being delayed ... I can see some people that have had certain adversities befall them. That's one thing, but to Flame FC for trying to make your gameplay better Above and Beyond the Basic Scope presented and you flame them seems absurd.

Bleh .. i'm tired of ranting .
    *I open myself up for Flaming Please I beg of the Closed minded individuals to do thier best!!!*

Re: I've seen a lot of People posting both sides on this issue . her's just my 2 cents

Originally posted by x_Frazzled_x

AC, good concept and in my opinion, probably one of the least bug ridden / exploitable from release . but lacking in many ways and cookie cutter. but a good idea. don't have much to say either way.
    I could go on . but i have pretty much lost my focus..
    Erm...AC not exploitable from release? Their playerbase almost burned them down because their policy was not to punish people for exploiting...Till that fateful day they were forced to do server rollbacks to repair the damage being done by an exploit that had been in, as far as I heard, since release (ask someone about platinum scarabs).

Otherwise, good post
    History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris

The first faults are theirs that commit them, the second theirs that permit them. - Unknown

Did you ever get the feeling that the world had an abundance of idiots? And that God had arranged for you to meet every single one of them before you died? - Kuroshio

Lightbulb Re: Re: I've seen a lot of People posting both sides on this issue . her's just my 2 cents

Originally posted by Kuroshio

Erm...AC not exploitable from release? Their playerbase almost burned them down because their policy was not to punish people for exploiting...Till that fateful day they were forced to do server rollbacks to repair the damage being done by an exploit that had been in, as far as I heard, since release (ask someone about platinum scarabs).

Otherwise, good post
    Well My statement wasn't that AC Wasn't Exploitable / Buggy . just that it was Less Exploitable / Buggy at release . but like all of them . had a few pitfalls along the way.

Thanks tho'.

I keep reading it, but I can't still beleive it!

We are paying for a service that should include a certain list a of features and MOST IMPORTANTLY should be kept fresh at least once a month.

1-The list of features advertised to get me to subscribe to this game is not currently fully implemented.

2- Subscription cost should cover product updates as advertised as well as the other included features in the service.

3- Major product updates that need special medium to deliver should be priced in a way just to get it to your customer just to keep em subscribed.

4- Marketing tactics should be used to lure new customers not alienate current subscibers.

What most of you fail to realise is the industry(read computer industry) is shifting from a buying/renting model to a servicable one.

Most of us will be paying monthly or per use fees for most software products in the comming years.

I don t want to start debating this subject, as it is an entirely different ball game.

Now, Funcom intended to work that way from the advertisements they have made to justify the increase in monthly rate as compared to other MMORPG.

I am not here to judge wheter the current pricing model is wise or not from a business perspective, I am a customer paying for a service, if I am not paying high enough monthly fees, then increase my monthly fees, but lets see this for what it is, a service! THe software is just a means.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234