Thread: MAs getting dogged in PvP

Unhappy MAs getting dogged in PvP

Not I don't often complain about my MA, because I love using him, but in PvP conflict, he just plain sucks.

Let me first say, that for any melee user, a player that can ROOT is a bane for us. Seeing as how MAs are almost forced to use their fists at this point, a root alone will pretty much be the end of me.

Secondly, ac and half damage, ouch right there. If I hit the guy, not only do I have to contend with doing half damage, but it's also less because of the armor. So I will probably do minimum damage, and of course I can't overequip my fists and twink to high heaven like all these other PvPers.

Thirdly, the once-useful dimach. This is a freakin joke now. If they don't parry it, I might be able to do 40% of their life with it, which they probably will just shrug off since that's about the most damage I can do.

Fourthly, I believe when I use bwt it does half damage every tick since it's considered a special. So that's about as effective as a standard DoT. MAs can heal, but usually I'm taking such a pounding at this point, I either have to try to heal and run, or run and heal.

If anyone has a right to complain about PvP conditions, I think it is the MA. I have seen doctors, which should be horrible in a PvP fight tear others to shreds. All I ask for really, is a way to break roots, so that I can at least hit my opponent for some measly damage. Beyond that, they'd have to overhaul so much stuff ...they might even have to take time aside from fixing all the little nuances they waste their time on, like screwdrivers to adjust size for pioneer backpacks. (woopie...)

Even against monsters, my MA has become a joke. I lvled him to lvl 50 before "Minimum Damage Artist" became the nickname. Now that I'm lvl 80, and even more crippled than before, I have to hang him up. I enjoy PvPing, if not for the strategy of it, but I'll have to reroll a whole new guy to have any chance of competing. To the others that are currently screwed with PvP, I feel your pain, oh do I feel your pain. But, more likely then not, you have a better foreseeable future than the MA. If we didn't have sub g and vulnerability seeker, I don't think anybody would bother even adding us to a team.

I hope they fix PvP.

Smile re:

Well if you want to counter the root spells you have to have alot of Nano Ressistance, but even then you can get rooted.

I don't see this as a problem, it is anoying yes, but no profession is perfect i think =)
    Root is a part of the game, and you just have to deal with it somehow.

I am also a MA lvl 48 and i love to fight PVP =) and i must say i don't feel that i suck that much, i even got my Freshman title now.

No profession is easy to fight in PVP if that person only playes AO for the PVP fighting, and not someone who is just trying out for fun.

But the answer to you're question is : Nano Ressistance then you will be able to counter those hostile spells more ofhten.

PonKa member of Project-Starlight

http://www.project-starlight.com

Ok all I'm going to say is this:

Roots get broken in 3 ways:

Time.

If you are attacked, either crits or a high damage hit on you will break a root.

Finally, and the one you should ponder the most, because here in lies the rub, hostile nanos break roots. Think about this one a bit.

MAs at low level are great at PvP. MAs hit hard and fast. At high levels, MAs get totally owned by every class except maybe Adventurers.

Yep, MA's pretty much suck at high levels.

I won't mention any other classes here, but let us just say another melee class using a hammer has way more HP, does literally 300% more damage, and can break roots at will.

There's a debuffing class out there that with a certain shotgun can also do about 300% more consistent damage than an MA with crits double what an MA can possibly do in PvP, as well as strip an MA of the ability to heal, AND root.

Those are but two examples, but all rooting classes own us.

MA's kick ass in PvP until high levels. Roots aren't such a big deal to a level 20 MA. The damage coming in is way less, and the enemy has less nano to root with.

NANORESIST? Does jack. You have to raise it so high to even have a chance to counter that the IP cost is prohibitive.

MA will hopefully get some attention someday. Join the bitter MA pitty party, grab a brew, kick back and whine away. It beats actually playing the game, that's for sure.

I dont agree with that. MAs are quite good at high levels. There are a number who have no problems kicking butt. Aberic comes to mind as one.

Snarf
    Snarf: Level 165 Atrox NT

"At one time you were maybe a little useful Snarf. Now you're just being annoying." -- Hawkman

"Well one guy said Atrox was the worst breed for the NT. The other guy said......'You tell that to Snarf....he'll kick your arse!' You are a NT Rockstar!" -- Hemicuda

"Snarf, Snerf, Nerf. It's YOU that brought nerf to NT's you you!" -- Rhayden

"Snarf cuts to the core of the problem like a chainsaw to a bunny rabbit." -- Deaddreamer

Actually, Snarf has a point. The closer you get to lvl 200, more balanced the MA will be with the other classes. That's because lvl 200 characters with weapons will have QL 200 weapons, and the MA always has QL fists equal to his level (perhaps more with implants).

So a lvl 200 Ma with QL 200 MA implants and a QL 200 hammer probably kicks some serious ass. Then again, maybe not. I remember Kicky saying that she was hitting human NPCs for min damage with fists even at lvl 200. But at least all professions will have QL 200 weapons and can't overequip any higher.

Well nobody kicks aces asses, really. Relatively speaking some do more than others, but I don't think we should have to use a hammer to put out decent damage. I'll admit that there are other classes that do squat damage as well, but compared to enforcers we blow at melee without a hammer. And hammers in the hands of MA's are stupid both in concept and aesthetically in my humble opinion.

anyone with a hammer kicks ass imho
    I am Dnastyone Official Broom pusher for The Professionals
    Painmage my newest funnest guy
    PHEAR ME RK1 Yazule IMMMM BACK

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

Another thing to ponder: if you are planing on playing a character to 200, you will have more than enough IPs to pick up any hobby, but will never be able to use any classes special abilites, unless you are an agent and then you won't do it as well.

One example of this is Drzand, he now uses a ql172 flash point. He is a doctor, but he can equip a better flash point than most level 120ish soldiers. NTs, Metas, Crats any casting class can do the same thing past 150. heck a MA could do the same thing if it weren't for the bugs associated with fist attacks and weapons. Soldiers could pick up shen's and BwTs.

But if you play a class with few propriatary abilities, you will have little to no edge at higher levels (See Soldier and Enforcer) and you will be doing the same thing you were doing at level 30.

My brothers old char was a MA and he owns with it.
    He can take a whole team of 6 people out with his enf friend around the same level god knows how.

But, MAs can heal..which is good.
    And Zhagra...isnt he the well known uber PvPing MA.
    Yeah, MA.

Ofcource there will allways be a few very high lvl ma:s that kick ass in pvp. First, i dont wanna wait to lvl180 to be competitive.
    Second i bet some of the better ma:s out there has killer pre "nerf" tokenboards and lots of uber gear.

But for every well know and respected ma out there there is 50 agents and soldiers etc.

Vandame

Yeah I get so giddy when people say, at level 200 your fists will do the right damage. SWEET. All I've gotta do is get to 200? Well ****, man that's all you needed to say! I'll get out there and start pecking away.

peck peck peck
    oooh dat tickles ...**S M A S H**
    ouch!
    peck peck peck ...*C R U N C H*
    oof!
    peck...peck
    You may reclaim your items when they're ready.

Originally posted by Cloudeh

And Zhagra...isnt he the well known uber PvPing MA.
    Yeah, MA.

no, actually, the only uber MA i can think of is aberic. zhagra is a fixer, believe it or not...he's been lvl 42 for a number of months now. he's the twinkiest twink that ever played ao.

Cool Hehe

Originally posted by Ming
    Yeah I get so giddy when people say, at level 200 your fists will do the right damage. SWEET. All I've gotta do is get to 200? Well ****, man that's all you needed to say! I'll get out there and start pecking away.
    ROFL!

You rock!
    Feeti

You guys should keep your eyes open for barbieegirl, she just started PVPing as far as i can tell, but she is an UBER 174 MA, I bet you'll find she packs a lot of punch. I imagine there is a dry spell for ma's between around 60-150. My ma is 50 atm and she can take down almost anyone in her level range. level 65 twinked traders are work, but that's about it.

Everyone sucks at PvP until they have practiced against skilled opponents for a few weeks. Most give up, but some learn. MA's are good as long as they use the abilties they are good at, altho MA's dont deal alot of dmg until real high level, but anyone high level deal good dmg, especially if they are buffed by an MA.

MA's usually have problem with finishing a kill, thats why you as MA should save dimach and some other special until you can use it as failsafe. Heal at the right time and you will have alot of tanking ability. Basically you'll have to fight as a chicken unless you enjoy sacrificing yourself. but chicken MA's can be quite annoying.

Wolfe

Dunno guys but those high level "Shen" MA attacks really hurt.

hehe ya shen hurts the user pretty badly too. Not as badly, the initial damage is the same i think, then the attacked gets the dot and the attaker takes no more damage. Any class has a lot of pvp potential above 150. I see a ton of angy 100-130 NTs that have a rough time ATM, but I know a lot of 150+ NTs that kick serious ass in PVP, esp with their AE lines. Ever seen a flock of omni noobies gang up on besheba at 2ho? Ah, the sounds of a dozen omni all dying at once... music to my ears.