Thread: Protecting the controllers

Protecting the controllers

As mentioned above the controller provides guild specific bonuses, is that right?

I assume then that this kind of thing will only be open to the really large guilds with many PVP members?

Ours has a membership of 80 players ranging from level 25 through to 162. Barely any of us are active PVP players.

Does this then mean that we basically won't be able to obtain any of the benefits from this? I appreciate that there should be some risk in order to gain these benefits. But at the same time I believe we have no hope at all in being able to defend such a thing should it come under attack.

Secondly, presumably this structure has to defended 24/7, which again is going to be difficult...

Hehe... basically I want to know how it will be implemented

*edited :-p
    Last edited by Highorbit; Aug 14th, 2002 at 10:44:09.
    Highorbit - Supreme Creator - Atlantean - 205 - Armour
    Andrele - Sorcerer - Atlantean
    Simarion - General - Atlantean - 200
    Zendia - Doctor - Atlantean
    Roanna - Preserver - Atlantean
    Littleorbit - Priest - Atlantean

Shameless Self Advertising: Engineer Guide

From dev chat with my selectiv memory.

There will be a cap on the total amount of controllers.

There will be a cap (based on number of guild members) on how many controlers a guild can take (so no single guild can control it all).

Guilds can not share benefits.

Controllers (a small number no significant locations) with max level req will be added for guilds with low level players.

As I understand it, the controllers will stand 24/7, and will take a coordinated effort to take down.

there are NPC guards/turret to protect your controller too, even if you aren't there.
    Intenseheat: Omni MA, ph33r teh ub3r l337
    Preeminence: Omni crat - hopelessly gimped - lost 180K IP trying to reset skills - ph33r teh ub3r t33th
    Omniwins: Omni soldier, always winning

I'm just an ass that happens to be smart.

But...

Given that in order to capture an area you first have to destroy the controller...

Does this mean you could target and destroy an area and then just withdraw without building another controller?

I assume you could, but what's wrong with that?
    Preeminence: Omni crat - hopelessly gimped - lost 180K IP trying to reset skills - ph33r teh ub3r t33th

It could be considered griefing, but only time will tell if its that or just strategy.

I realize that, but seeing as how it could also be simply a guild that's pissed off at another guild so they're gonna go kill their tower, which should be a viable tactic. If the winning guild has reached their max limit of towers or simply doesn't have the resources to put up another, then they shouldn't have to.

Originally posted by Intenseheat
    I assume you could, but what's wrong with that?
    Nothing really wrong with it... Just wanted to check Gives all the bored high levels something to kill doesn't it...

What shall we raid today? All the opposing sides controllers!

I don't really think it's something that I would take part in, partially because the PVP system is so bad, partially because my particular profession makes it even more difficult.

From what I understand, it will be a team effort. And even with a team (or several teams) I understood from the devchat that some thinking would be involved (my guess is that you take down one guard tower to weaken some other guard towers and so on...) Guess we wont see any lvl 200 solo towers

caps

I think it is a bad idea to use arbitrarily defined max values, "caps", to limit how many controllers (or anything for that matter) that a player, or organization, may own.

What is needed is more thinking to implement an effective set of checks and balances so that a natural equilibrium can work itself out. This does not have to be insanely complex.

For example, an organization could receive a certain amount of "zone control points" that is calculated from the number of players and their respective levels. This would provide a mathematical formula to determine how much influence an org can have at any point in time.

These zone points would then be spead out across the different structures that are owned by the org. Obviously, the more structures an org owns, the more dilluted its power and the more vulnerable it becomes. However, if a large orge concentrated its power into a small area instead of spreading out, it would be quite powerful.

Price fixing and caps always create other problems outside of their intended result.
    Born on: Wed Jun 27 15:39:10 2001
    Slavor, Soldier, RK1

Re: Protecting the controllers

Originally posted by HighOrbit
    Secondly, presumably this structure has to defended 24/7, which again is going to be difficult...
    Quite sure I heard it isn't open 24/7, or a lot of people are gonna wake up every morning just to rebuld. I wish you could set what time you were open to attack. Assign about 4 guild members to camp it, then move on or soemthing Rp-ish
    -- Falling never killed anyone, its always the landing.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    RK-1
    |OT|
    Telgi-61 Solitus Enforcer
    Gauf-31 Nanomage Doctor
    Saruzi- -=128=- Opifex Nano-Technician.
    Manstien-44 Solitus Soldier

Re: Re: Protecting the controllers

Originally posted by Saruzi

Quite sure I heard it isn't open 24/7, or a lot of people are gonna wake up every morning just to rebuld. I wish you could set what time you were open to attack. Assign about 4 guild members to camp it, then move on or soemthing Rp-ish
    You just made me think of something, I read that the area would be open to attack for a period of time every day. What that will be like, I dont know, but I can smell a new type of camping coming :P

Re: Re: Re: Protecting the controllers

Originally posted by andertec

You just made me think of something, I read that the area would be open to attack for a period of time every day. What that will be like, I dont know, but I can smell a new type of camping coming :P
    Player camping?

I imagine an organisation getting ready to defend their controller, seeing the enemy line up for battle, just waiting for the suppression gas to drop. 5....4....3....2....1....

HighOrbit, yes, you can move in, destroy a controller, then just leave. No need to put up a new one if you didn't bring one along.

And the controller is supposed to give a bonus to the entire organisation owning it, yes. If you're not able to defend it in PvP you will eventuelly lose it, but I don't think we'll allow for attacks 24/7, and you might get a "grace period" after setting it up, allowing you to keep it for a while no matter what.

Yeah I can see some new dimension of strategy entering the game. Will be interesting.

Just hope that we players don't screw up again