Thread: Freelance: Winds of change blow through Tir

Independent Reporters of Rubi-Ka Editor: IRRK's Avatar

Freelance: Winds of change blow through Tir

Winds of change blow through Tir
    April 24, 29480 - Miranda 'Whtrose' Ariel [Atlantean]

Tir City (IRRK Freelance) - Tir is the first city built by the clans, the home of the Council of Truth, the Clan Arena, and two of the finest bars Rubi-Ka has to offer. Despite all this, however, it has for some time now been only a ghost town with the only visitors being people wishing to get away from the hustle and bustle of the busier cities. The Urban Defense Patrol, a group controlled by Simon Silverstone of the Sentinels, ensures that hostilities remain outside of the city.

Downtown Tir, once a place of free trade and a good place to meet new people, has dwindled in its popularity so much that on any given day the shop keepers and guards outnumber the potential costumers. For a few among the clans, this is not seen as a bad thing, with the lack of commotion being a welcome change from the hustle and bustle of Old Athens. Bresia of Guardian Nemesis says that she kind of likes the peace and quiet that Tir offers.

Don’t think that Tir has completely turned into a retirement community for old clan members, though. Like any town that has become a ghost town it does attract its fair share of odd stories that are very hard to confirm or refute. The few people who were around for an interview hinted that Tir is often a city for small groups of people to get up to all sorts of “shenanigans,” as one ‘Kinsey’ put it. It was commented that because nobody is ever there, it means that there is nobody ever around to notice what kind of games go on late at night.

There will always be kids running through graveyards daring their friends to stand on the grave of that old witch, and couples using them for secret trysts, with Tir becoming that graveyard. However, most who come to the City of the Clans enjoy the quiet solitude from the war, and for the most part safety from Omni interference.
    Last edited by Editor: IRRK; Apr 24th, 2006 at 17:31:19.

Sometimes when i'm bored, I like to run the gauntlet of the tir city sentinels barricade, going in and out of the city. I view it as keeping the crazies occupied, as they scramble to catch my noot fixer booty in the streets of their beloved capital.

They fail to catch me, of course.
    --
    The nootie's infamous black joker, Jujuwalker :
    RP profile : http://www.ao-universe.com/tools.php...ion=show&id=74
    --

La censure est la negation de l' esprit. (Censoring is the negation of thought) --Yvirnig
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -- Hunter S. Thompson
    --
    QUOTE OF THE DAY : And remember : you minions SHOULDN'T BE THINKING!

Heh, well they don't have to catch you Juju, just their bullets! ^_^

I find Tir to be a fairly nice city myself on the occasion when I can go there and look around before i'm shot at. I occasionaly wonder if we all got together and smoked Silverstone if we would get around 15 minutes to get a cup of coffee and walk around while he reclaims.
    Last edited by Berael; Apr 24th, 2006 at 20:28:48.
    Angel "Berael" Wolf - 220/22 Solitus Engineer RP Profile
    Advisor of Wolf Brigade, A Proud Neutral Organization

AOwiki - A chance to show what you know.
    Hunting Grounds Neutral Neck Items Tradeskill Pricing v3.0 Roleplaying Organizations v2.0 (RK1)

"The world will not evolve past its current state of crisis by using the same thinking that created the situation" - Albert Einstein
    "It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change." - Charles Darwin

Pssh, even /I/ can kill the UDP
    [All Towers] The omni organization loves Toxor .. awww.

[Clockwork Inc.] Toxor: !blacklist Mostadio this ****tard wouldnt make my carb :@
    [Clockwork Inc.] Omgbot: Thank you Toxor. Reputation / Blacklist info about Mostadio has been stored in the Clockwork Inc.-archives
    [Clockwork Inc.] Toxor: thats cool
    [Clockwork Inc.] Mostadio: ROOOOOOOOOFL
    [Org. Msg.] Mostadio kicked Toxor from your organization.

Unfortunately, since the rennovation of Old Athen and it's excellent whompa and grid links, Tir lacks any real advantages. True, there are good shopping facilities, but they are less convenient than Old Athen. The 'charming' maze of back roads and convulted streets make navigation around the city difficult for the inexperienced, and the presence of Sentinels mean neutrals are unfortunately entirely unwelcome in the shining beacon of the north.

Just as the Vanguards revamped Old Athen, so too do the Sentinels need to revamp Tir. Returning the grid entrance to the veterans terminal outside BY4 would help I feel, even extending so far as to move the shadowlands garden statue from Wailing Waste to the Fair Trade shop. Perhaps would the extension of Tir Arena as a more practical and enjoyable fighting environment for us clanners to prove our superiority against the corporations lackies would encoureage people to visit too!
    Unfortunately, with shop row, good whompas, a grid terminal, a notum war shop, open spaces, West Athen and the Subway near by, along with the whompa to Jobe, Tir has been sadly made redundant.
    Field Marshal Londino, lvl 220
    Cutting through the forest of reason
    Veteran of Forsaken
    Former Soldier Professional

Silly doc thingy Londina, lvl 175+
    She needs tokens dont ya know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jujuwalker
    Sometimes when i'm bored, I like to run the gauntlet of the tir city sentinels barricade, going in and out of the city. I view it as keeping the crazies occupied, as they scramble to catch my noot fixer booty in the streets of their beloved capital.

They fail to catch me, of course.
    Hah!! Me too.

I pity them, nothing ever going on, so I sometimes swing by to give their guards a work out. I usually start off by having them run a few laps around the city walls, chasing me. Then I help them with their aim. I throw up my cocoon and let them fire away. Sometimes they get a little over excited and I have to jump into the grid. *laughs* Aw those clanners, give them a little chance to have some fun, and they get all serious. But still good times. Its good to be on your toes
    "If you say 'plz' because it's shorter than 'please', I'll say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes'."

SirNegs - Neutral Keeper
    Negs - Neutral MP
    Lode - Neutral Doctor

I'm sorry, but a place for "quite solitude" doesn't even start to cover the historical significance of Tir.

Tir is where the dream went sour.

Tir is where the mask came off.

Tir is where the Clans showed the world there were willing to mistreat the Neutrals just like they claimed Omni-Tek had mistreated the Clans.

Tir is where the Clans sold their principles and very soul for the sense of security they felt only big man Silverstone could give them.

Little more than three years after the Sentinel coup in Tir, already the memories of this outrage seem to have faded. It seems odd that Clanners who can keep a grudge against OT for 200 years can be so forgetful about recent events.

Tir, like Athen or any other Clan town, was once safe for Neutrals. In the power vacuum that followed the fall of the first Council of Truth, Simon Silverstone and his Sentinels Clan took over Tir. Once he had Tir under his control, unilaterally, without consultation or any legal right to do so, he banned all Neutrals from Tir on pain of death. Silverstone’s justification for this in the words of his High Commander:

“I have absolutely no tolerance for people who lack the guts to have an opinion, and stand by it. It’s cowardly, weak, and completely dishonorable. I loathe the neutral, even more so than the Omnis. At least they believe in something.”

Naturally freedom-loving Clanners did not take to this dictatorial behaviour. For weeks to follow Tir’s streets were covered in blood as Clanner fought Clanner in an attempt to liberate Tir from The Sentinels. The rebels failed. The Sentinels stayed in Tir and imposed their own rules.

But don’t take my word for it. It’s all here, covered by the Clan own press, the FJRK. http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...hreadid=237512

Time passed. The Sentinels stayed in Tir and slowly Clanners got accustomed to it. Like the wife of a abusive husband, Clanners made excuses for Sivlerstone, told us he wasn't so bad once you got to know him and why would Neutrals want to go to Tir anyway, totally missing the point. And even though Silverstone clearly has not given up on his old tyrannical ways ( http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=357269&highlight=Silverstone ) he gradually became respectable, and eventually one of the most popular of all Clan leaders.

And that is the really what Tir stands for. It’s where the Clans gave up their principles and made a deal with the devil, the place where the moral high ground in the Omni-Clan conflict was finally levelled.

Savoy
    Last edited by Savoy; Apr 24th, 2006 at 23:59:19.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

Savoy, you read my mind.

If Athen stands for the Clans' defiance of inequality, value for freedom, and willingness to show anyone who rules with force that the underdogs will fight back and win, Tir is its opposite.
    Uni "Unixint80" Idoru, 206/13 Neutral NT Veteran of Shattered Dreams
    What I've Got My Perk Setup My Nuke Setup (All slightly outdated)

FREE BOREALIS!!!

Very true Savoy...you know though. For all the stupidity and shooting themselves in the head which Silverstone has done for the Clans. I can't help but thank him for the huge improvement in trade and sales of all the shops in Borealis. His meglomaniac nature of running Tir, and the utter insanity of the Clans for allowing him to stay in Tir has done nothing but to fund the neutral population in Borealis. So thanks Simon, I would offer you a drink for all the extra trade and commerce you've sent to Borealis, but lets face it...your a miserable sod anyhow
    Major "Nyadach" Prabel
    Neutral and proud of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Nyadach
    Very true Savoy...you know though. For all the stupidity and shooting themselves in the head which Silverstone has done for the Clans. I can't help but thank him for the huge improvement in trade and sales of all the shops in Borealis. His meglomaniac nature of running Tir, and the utter insanity of the Clans for allowing him to stay in Tir has done nothing but to fund the neutral population in Borealis. So thanks Simon, I would offer you a drink for all the extra trade and commerce you've sent to Borealis, but lets face it...your a miserable sod anyhow
    You know it is funny. His hatred of us has only made us more successful than if he did nothing at all. Tir would probably still be a hub of soceity. So you I second your thanks Nya.

Thank You Simon for all your help in allowing the Neutrals to flourish.
    "If you say 'plz' because it's shorter than 'please', I'll say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes'."

SirNegs - Neutral Keeper
    Negs - Neutral MP
    Lode - Neutral Doctor

Winds of change blow through Tir...

First words that went through my mind were "Temple of Three Winds..."

The author's right, I suppose. Tir sounds like it'll become more of a haven and not a bustling town like Borealis is.
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

To be fair, Silverstone probably doesn't understand how to do anything other than kill whatever is put in front of him. Including cities.
    Uni "Unixint80" Idoru, 206/13 Neutral NT Veteran of Shattered Dreams
    What I've Got My Perk Setup My Nuke Setup (All slightly outdated)

FREE BOREALIS!!!

how long did it take for me to find this?

Change is a necessary evil in society, especially Rubi-Kan society.

Tir needed to be the capital of the clans and while the vocal majority of Clans didn't necessarily agree with Silverstone, there were a core group of supporters that kept him in, let alone his phenomenal determination to see the city of Tir free for Clans. Back then, it wasn't really popular to be a supporter of the Commander.

Regardless of the attacks on the street, which by the way happen daily in Tir, Athen, and West Athen, change was needed. (Right now, there are quite a few people who are asking the Sentinels to move into West Athen to control the violence there. Silverstone showed up one day and cleared the place, much to the joy of the gathered Clans. ) When the ICC took over Tir, the clans called for someone to step in. Silverstone did it. He wasn't loved for doing what he did but the political climate back then was very closed, secretive and hateful of people that got in the way of their peace.

The winds of change certainly blew through Tir and continue to do so. I do have to make a point though. Athen got the whoompa to Jobe and Tir only became so empty when the portal to the Shadowlands was opened. A day before that, Tir was the place to be to get anything done. I will never argue with history but change is inevitable. Good or bad is in the eye of the beholder.

If Tir had the whoompa, Tir would be the hub and Athen would be as empty...as it was before. Political climates change and Silverstone is widely accepted now and is changing peoples minds about him. In fact, if Zora ever accepts the invitation for the meeting with the Clans, Silverstone is making his case to be the representative.

So yes, the winds of change have blown through Tir but eventually those winds will shift and bring life back, while changing some other place for better or for worse.

Oh, you mean it's a *city*? I guess that explains why I found only humanoid versionof the trash king and his lackeys.

Winds of Change?

I tell you this to see a City like Tir reduced to a meer ghost town is a shame, but with a tirant such as Silverstone in charge what would you expect? As a young Mage I ventured to see the Great city of the Clans. I was meet with Hostility I did not understand. Silverstone himsel even shot at me. As for as Tir is concerned, Tir can rot in the Abyss.

Till all are FREE ! ! !