Thread: Headed in the Right Direction?

Headed in the Right Direction?

Ok, so what does everyone think about this new booster expansion idea? It is more money for something that is basically a patch. That's bad, isn't it?

The answer is no. These booster expansion appear to be a pretty good idea, and i'm excited about them. I don't mind paying a few extra bucks provided a few things are true. First, is they must not interfere with regular patches. Provided regular free patching is still done, I'm ok. Second, they must be worth paying extra for. Putting patch 14.6 on a disc and selling it for $10 isn't good enough. This conquered territory idea is something that is worth an expansion and I will happily pay for it. And third, it must work. If i pay for this thing and then it needs to be patched the next day that would be tragic. Because they're charging us more, there's a higher standard. Its not like a patch that they can say "Sorry, we missed that in testing". If it works, I'm happy.

Between these new boosters and the actual expansion coming out I'm pretty excited about the game and the possibility of playing it till the end of the year and into next year. I like the product a whole lot and can't wait to see what new ideas come out.

Now, if only the customer service improved with the rest of the game life would be grand.
    Click Click BOOM

www.proveuswrong.com
    BoomDoom - Lvl 146 NT
    Thugdoom - lvl 80 enforcer
    EmissaryDoom - lvl 75 Crat
    ProfDoom - Lvl 57 MP
    Nursedoom - lvl 57 Doctor

good omen

The exciting thing about the booster pack is, that if a good idea surfaces, funcom can examine it and actually add it into the game, for a fee, if the business casae is strong enough. Many people were clamoring for player-controlled structures and land. And now we will be receiving it.
    Born on: Wed Jun 27 15:39:10 2001
    Slavor, Soldier, RK1

Yeah. I like to bash Funcom from time to time, but i am very optimistic about this new change.

I can't wait. Put it out now!

Wait a second, scratch that. Take your time, get it right.
    Click Click BOOM

www.proveuswrong.com
    BoomDoom - Lvl 146 NT
    Thugdoom - lvl 80 enforcer
    EmissaryDoom - lvl 75 Crat
    ProfDoom - Lvl 57 MP
    Nursedoom - lvl 57 Doctor

Arrow

I agree, this booster pack is a good idea. It has the potential to keep many players interested in ao untill the expansion pack is released. As to the complaints of delays and cost... I really don't mind waiting and paying for new content, as long as they get it right. I would be extremely upset if funcom released this booster only to realize that it introduces new exploits/bugs or worse yet dosn't fix existing ones, long overdue for patching. (ahem, lag dmg/pet pathing/ hell even the yalm bug). Essentially this booster has the potential to be a step in the right direction for funcom. The question is, will we get what we pay for?

RK1- Epsilon3 136 sol

Thumbs down

This booster pack sux .....

PVP always PVP, nerfing to balance PVP ... i see this every patch and now i have a booster with pvp only .

Ok i don't need to buy it if i want but i want more than a pvp pack.
    And for those who think it is a very good idea you will be soon tired to have your ass kicked all the time by ubber lvl 200 guild.

Another problem is that many prof need to be fixed and they stop all patch for month ago only for a few people who like pvp to make this pack

Labonne eng 133 rk2
    Labrutte enf 124 rk2
    And many more

Originally posted by BoomDoom
    Yeah. I like to bash Funcom from time to time, but i am very optimistic about this new change.

I can't wait. Put it out now!

Wait a second, scratch that. Take your time, get it right.
    Lets put some emphasis on something right now...

TAKE YOUR TIME, GET IT RIGHT
    .: Naraya :.

Another problem is that many prof need to be fixed and they stop all patch for month ago only for a few people who like pvp to make this pack

huh? Um. it isnt even made yet., and wont be out for um. 3-4 months lol.

And didnt some post here state that (or the announcement?)

That FC has the current team, the expansion team. and a booster pack team working right now?

My guess is they took some of the people from Shadowlands expansion to focus on this booster pack only.

THe regular patch/content team should remain on schedule.
    (if only FC would share that schedule with us lol)

I'd really like, Cosmik, or Cz. or Dai-Galean to jump in and confirm or not if there is 3 teams spread over Live, booster and expansion projects. or if one team does double work?
    "AO is like the ugly duckling, slowly turning into a swan as time goes by."
    Lance Orbin aka Gridfan of GridStream Productions

Labrutte,

You must have inside information to be so positive that:

"And for those who think it is a very good idea you will be soon tired to have your ass kicked all the time by ubber lvl 200 guild"

Do you have any specifics as to what this booster pack will contain? Please tell!

I think you may be making an assumption here....

So, Kloe, I assume you know that the booster pack will be filled with great, bug-free features?
    ~Chris

Question Mixed Feelings about Paying for Booster

I've looked at both sides Why pay for something that should/should've happened.

On the other hand if you pay them, essentially we'ld be assured that the game will still be running come a year from now and in comparison to other of-the-shelf games would cost ya in order of magnitude more for the pleasure of new scenery/content etc etc.

I really am hoping that it doesn't flop - I like the game. I've been playing since BETA 3 and still enjoy it. Ah the hay days. *sigh*

I guess it would depend on how much there are charging for this booster pack(s). Don't charge the equal amount of the retail price of "A Game" but perhaps an equal amount to a monthly charge or something like this.

Regards,

Ximes (Whimpy Enforcer wanna be)
    Caniix (Jeez I wish my pet would control his urge to smack into tables)
    Inos (50 % healed trader 100% of the time)

Chris,

Did my post say anywhere that I was assuming that the booster would be perfect? Please read my post! I was just saying that the assumption shouldn't be made that the booster will suck for everyone not in a huge guild.

Wait, I am somewhat new to message boards. Is this considered "feeding the trolls"? This is not a smart *** comment, but my post seemed pretty straight forward so I am not sure it is a good use of my time to respond.

Whoops, too late now

looking good...

I'm definitely interested in this. It's straight out of one of AO's closest competitors, of course, but I like this idea. There's one question burning on my mind, though:

Will neutrals be able to take part in this?

I imagine that they'll be included in the havoc, and that Gaute's inability to recognize that we exist simply prevented him from mentioning us in the announcement. I don't want to be Chicken Little here, but it sounds like this could be an excellent ploy to get everyone to pick a side or shove off, which is exactly what Gaute wants and has always intended. Also, maybe I lack vision, but isn't this going to drastically change the landscape of Rubi-Ka? I don't see how "Every character can have several permanent towers in the world" if we're not knocking one of 'em over every time we swing a dead cat by the tail.
    Dierdrah -- President, Baker Street Conspiracy (RK2)

"No, I'm not some transgender roleplaying pervert. A distinction would be appropriate, thanks."

My Take on the Booster

OK first I'm pretty sure nutrals will be able to participate. Gaute said in the Chat that nutrals brave enough to try can even hold territory. This implies however that neutrals have an inherrent disadvantage in that they will be under attack from both Omni and Clan (and possibly other Neutrals?)

Now on to my main point. This can either be really cool or ruinous for the game. Please Please Please test this and get it right. I would even consider recruting a couple of big guilds (or possibly the ARK's) to try it out on the test server and see what balance/exploit issues arise. If fun-com gets this right there will finally be a reason to play your lvl200 characters (no I don't have one... But I will one day).

So I guess my stance is this. Sure Fun-Com, Go ahead and charge me for this cause it's gonna make the game much cooler and I'm sure y'all could use the money (and a chance to re-open your retail channels), but if you blow this then you may very well ruin the game for months to come. Some players might not be patient enough to wait for you to get the kinks worked out.

Also someone asked what the reward for destroying an ORG's land might be. I suggest you have like Org merit Tokens, if you get enough of them then you get items that allow you to build better towers or something like that (or maybe HP and Stat bonuses for the org members)... Ahh heck you guys figure it out yall do this for a liveing. I just do it for a social life.