Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Anarchy Online Booster Pack with Land Control

I've noticed that almost everyone has the same worry I did when I first read the report about the booster pack... That the Uber Guilds will quickly control them all... But the more I thought about it the less it worried me because I don't think that will be the case... Here's my reasoning...

Okay... now I'm guessing here but I would assume there will be at least 50 and maybe up to 100 places around the playfeilds to place these towers... and once Shadowlands comes out it could possible be far more...

There are what 5-20 really big guilds out there, right... now think about it... do you really think that those guilds could spread their forces that wide and thin and still be able to protect their towers 24 hours a day... I really doubt it... Now they will have their main towers that I doubt any of us will ever be able to take down... but I doubt they will be able to control it all... It's just not logisticly possible...

Personally my guild consists of 3 people... me and a couple of my freinds... I plan on joining in on the fun even if I get crushed every time... I might even do something stupid and attack one of the big guilds towers for the heck of it...
    Russel "Knightsaber" Craddock
    Adventurer
    Rubi-Ka 1
    Geeks of Rubi-Ka

AO's new slogan:
    "Anarchy Online... Better than a kick in the nuts!"

Large v small guild land holding

While it may be true that larger guilds will have a greater potential to control areas of land than smaller guilds this does not automatically mean that they will be indestructible.
    Given that unless all the large guilds ally conflict will go on between them and any smaller guilds wishing to remove an uber guild outpost from an area need to form some mutual assistance alliances to ensure suitable numbers in an attack.

I guess your point of view is either
    a) Oh bugger how is *my* guild going to be able to do anything against that tower
    b) Hey lets work *together* to kick the uber guild out
    Promoo - Agent, Clan on Rimor
    Still alive but now dressed in spandex and called Big Gun in CoH
    Keeper Of Tiggy

Happy Tree Friends - The best animation on the web

...then /tell helpbot roll to determine which of the teamed guilds gets the spot for themselves.

:>

This land control feature was originally planned as part of the shadow lands expansion pack. As we sadly see that shadow lands will have to be delayed into next year, we wanted to offer you (the players) something sooner. But don't worry; there will still be plenty in the expansion pack! I also want to assure you all that the work on shadow lands is still the only focus for that group and content patches are still being produced by another group.
    FC is squeezing the lemon one last time....

Basically the way I see it, they want to make a little cash now before SWG and AC2 comes out. There is a potential loss for FC to spend ALL of shadowland's budget now, just to have it put on the shelves at the same time, next to some very HEAVY competition. It's not hard to guess that "land control" is probably the most developed feature of shadowlands thus far. So with the uncertainty of their fate, they will package what they have into a "booster pack" hoping to get a little something in earnings now, instead of a lot of nothing later. If they survive and are able to retain a good percentage of their customer base, they will continue the development of shadowlands. Keep in mind, now instead of paying "one price" for what should have been a complete expansion, you will be paying "twice".

PvP is about the only high level fun in AO, and it's still VERY broken. If they don't fix the unbalancing issues with races/classes and do something to GET RID OF THE LAG, I can't see this "booster pack" being a huge success. Shadowlands was the last hope I had for AO. I had already planned to play SWG, but definitely wanted to give AO one more chance with the expansion before migrating completely to one game. I'm growing impatient with AO...the longest running, customer funded beta test of all gaming history.
    -Zindel- Novice 200 Opifex MA
    -Clematis- Apprentice 180 Opifex Fixer
    -Bushwhacker- 135 Atrox Enforcer
    General of Mecenaries of Kai [TaG]

20 BUCKS!?

http://ebgames.com/ebx/categories/pr...p?pf_id=228047

This must be a joke? The Booster costs as much as the Special Edition?

You guys did check out Basher Poll on price right? (Dai/Cz/Cos)

I am shocked, since this isn't an expansion and that is the going price for an expansion. I won't even bring up the fact that I paid 49.99 @ launch....
    Kodiene
    Founding member of P.E.T.A.
    People for the Ethical Treatment of Atrox's
    PAINKILLR
    Mercenaries of Kai

"I personally think nerfs are death in an emergency patch. It is very cool to admit that there are a lot of things we can do boring, very boring in-game. Your input is being adjusted in some Fouls. I want to especially thank the players who WILL die.
    Have Fun! And I'll be seeing you online
    jonhelgi, designer - AO"

Cool

It's not really $20. At least, not for sure. See, EB will take a guess at what the price is and put it up for preorder. When the real price comes out, EB will send an email saying that the price has changed and ask the customer if they want to continue with the transaction.
    A long time away. Newly returned.

Good post Tindel. It is a given most of us will play SWG. FC concentrate on STORY and CONTENT, then all this debate over boosters and expansions is over. We would still keep our AO accounts to log in occassioinally and be part of the STORY or enjoy some different CONTENT.

As it is buying both booster and expansions will in no way be a hardship for me or most others. However will I? I doubt it. Reasons:

1: Will be trying out SWG

2: FC can't balance RACE/BREED/PROFESSIONS/PVP now what makes anyone think they can balance battling towers?

3: For those who think large guilds will be checked? Think again! They may not be able to control all areas but they can defend one and have kill teams in the field continuously to take out any new towers. For those who say alliances will count LOL. If 3 guilds could coordinate efforts long enough to attack one tower I would be shocked. Then the kicker comes in I don't think any 3 guilds could take TC or Storm on head to head with them getting a defensive bonus from a tower to boot. Finally lets see, hmmm maybe some of you saying this mass pvp thing is great, should go on a T raid and see how mass pvp works with the pvp mechanics we have now. Your tower will be another box room in camelot castle *nothing but a lag fest*.

Finally this may seem like a rant but it is a plea. We have been trying to tell you forever STORY and CONTENT will keep us even while we try other games. Paying for expansions is fine. Splitting an expansion so you can charge us twice and get a little name recognition during the release of your first competition in the sci-fi genre is BS. We have been telling you for a year what will keep us. STORY and CONTENT.

EDIT: BTW kudos on finally putting in the first real content patch since release (14.5) this is a step in right direction. Story is finally moving again after a decent start in Jan 2002 Kudos again. I realized I only hit the bad points so I made this edit to let you know Cz and Cosmik I do see the effort. Keep up those two things and that will keep and generate new subscriptions.
    Last edited by Davesbane; Aug 17th, 2002 at 01:38:17.

Post Here's a wishlist...

Apparently, those of you who complain about the cost of this booster pack are out to lunch on a nifty little fact: you don't need to buy the thing! You can still partake in the battles over the towers and all, just you can't build them.

This thing is darn near literally the land control Funcom promised so long ago. For those who don't want to buy, they get land control in the form that was promised, for those that want to buy, they get a lot more.

And a note to people with multiple accounts: you'd only really need to buy one booster as the purchase really only entitles you to tower construction, although the second booster pack would happily enhance the sound and graphics (I think there was mention of graphics).

But as for the land control itself...

What this land control scheme does is add Side versus Side combat. This isn't Player versus Player anymore, it's a whole new ballpark! Think DAoC's RvR when you consider SvS, and the epic scale combat that can occur there, although this may be good memories and bad.

SvS changes the general landscape of Rubi-Ka a lot, so what about the PvP though? Arenas are too small and don't properly provide for sporting between the sides, so perhaps the addition of a battle-simulator is called for to provide a fix for the PvP junkies out there. Adding this as well to the booster pack would make it more than one new card game, but two.

Back to the SvS, though. A few things added to this would be great! Things like, but necessarily being:

Player assigned defend missions:
    An organisation enlists the aid of players outside it to help defend their towers and controllers. The missions require a player to be in a certain area for a certain amount of time, or until a certain time check-point is reached, or until the situation is considered 'under control' at which point the hiring entitiy reviews the contracts and decides to award the players that tried to help defend adequately. A neutral under such a contract would be given the ability to attack within a certain range of the defense area. Maybe while in the area titled in the contract, players would gain the benefits the controller provides to it's owning guild.

Giving neutrals the chance to become 'pirates' or 'mercenaries':
    Neutrals are people both who want to stay out of the conflict and people who have no strong convictions about either side. Of course, convictions to the almighty credit run rampant through nearly everyone and I'm sure neutrals would love the chance to get in on the attacking bit.

A defense tower information network:
    Defense towers request aid from all members of a particular side to assist in their defense and tower owners would have the ability to turn this off and on. Players of course, would have the option of viewing this data.

Larger teams or 'care lists':
    Give doctors and and other healers the ability to assist players outside of their team without having to click around to find injured combatants.

Recall towers, doctor ressurection:
    Allow slain players a chance to get back into the action with relative speed either through a system that teleports them from a station in a city to a selectable destination, or by allowing doctors to return slain players to life and send them to the nearest reassembly pad and reclaim booth on their side. Why add these things? To prolong the length of fights and even things out a bit. If one side has the tactical advantage of being near a city or outpost or town with a grid exit or whompas or insurance, that point will be very difficult to acquire.

And something, just a little thing, I would LOVE to see added, be it patch or booster pack: an NCU counter and an XP meter to go along with the health and nano bars. I always have my stats screen open and it clutters the screen a lot.

That's it, comment away.

Rashata

Sorry, guys....

Hail, I am Vojoc, Advisor of The Hand of Chronos (MP-only RK1 Guild) Part of our guilds policy was that we, the Council of Chronos (Fist of Chronos is the clan div), would abstain from the confict as a guild. I resent that such obvious favor is bieng given to guilds who participate in the war over guilds who choose not to. It is most unnecessary to give members of organizations who hold territorry added bonuses for several reasons...and doing so can and will easily ruin the fragile balance of the game, wether or not you are a booster-pack buyer or not.

I apologize Cosmik, Cz, if you find my opinions harsh, but I rather like my AO the way it is, and do not wish to see gameplay ruined for non-pvp guilds or professions/races which have difficulty in PvP combat. As it is, nanomage characters are god-awful at PvP, and nearly useless otherwise. Of the top 40 pvp players, according to Omni-Pol and Sentinels, only 5 of these are Nanomages. That's a measly 1/8th, considering that there are only FOUR breeds in the game, that's rather pathetic. Considering that not ONE, not a single ONE of the top 40 are Meta-Physicists, that shows us that while pvp metaphysicists are possible to make, and they CAN be good, it is simply much more difficult to pvp well as one, which gives a 100% MP guild a HUGE dissadvantage in pvp, if our hand were forced.

Personally i find it rather unjust that you (funcom) not only plan on making us pay for a booster pack in addition to the regular subscription, for a feature that was supposed to be released ORIGINALLY with the game when it was RELEASED, but also favor players who actively participate in the war, rather than hold their own non-war related events. A second problem is this, people will join the tower-holding guilds just to get the stat bonuses, but then never actually participate in the guild events themselves...I've heard several sad accounts of people joining said "large, powerful high-level guilds" just to use the other members to get Tarrasque drop loot, or a vest, shades, or khaeler sleeves, and i would hate to see the same thing happen with these towers.
    Last edited by Vojoc; Aug 19th, 2002 at 19:52:10.
    Ezequiell 220/24 Doctor
    Vojoc 220/23 Meta-Physicist
    Bourrepif 218/16 Martial Artist

Rashata, you need one boosterpack for each account.

Also it is true that the patch only allow you to build towers, but building towers give personal, guild bonuses, exp bonuses, land titles and more.

I should say that makes it hard to compete with those that has the boosterpack for those that don´t have it.
    Troll Commando, doing the dirty work that need to be done.

Originally posted by Spook
    Rashata, you need one boosterpack for each account.

Also it is true that the patch only allow you to build towers, but building towers give personal, guild bonuses, exp bonuses, land titles and more.

I should say that makes it hard to compete with those that has the boosterpack for those that don´t have it.
    If that's true, concerning the bonuses, I'd say it makes it hard to compete with an Individual owner of a booster pack if a person doesn't have one. But since an individual is unlikely to be able to successfully defend a organizational feature alone, that bonus is prolly offest greatly.

Now when it comes down to Orgs + Booster vs Orgs - Boosters, the dynamics change. An Org - Booster can prolly rampage and pillage to its heart's content because they have no onus to defend their own territory. So they can't be struck back at. The Org + Booster is essentially trapped by having territory it has to defend. So that all balances out in the end.

Now if people are worried about a 1 on 1 PvP fight vs an Booster Pack owner, I give up on trying to point out the potential benefits (and fun) to team PvP. Trying to balance Solo PvP will kill the best thought out RPG System on the planet.
    History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris

The first faults are theirs that commit them, the second theirs that permit them. - Unknown

Did you ever get the feeling that the world had an abundance of idiots? And that God had arranged for you to meet every single one of them before you died? - Kuroshio

Surely Hand of Chronos has ties with other guilds who would help to protect their towers. (if not it is time to start networking)

I can see guilds going into the defence of other guilds towers as a nice little money maker.

I have to say, I would prefer to see people getting land titles and such rather than big bonuses, but there has to be something to fight over.

It is hard to see how guild bonuses will work. Will a lvl10 member get the same bonus as a lvl150? If so it will either be minor to the higher lvl, or a huge bonus to the lower lvl.

I just hope they're not replacing the previously envisioned, but insufficiently implemented guild advantage system.

Actually I hope they are. This way we will get a working guild advantage system.

Also I think that it will not be a predefined all round same bonus to all levels. Gaute stated that there will be a level range for all controller towers. Maybe only those in the organization within that level range will get the bonuses. Thus, why gaute said why he said different zones will have different levels. Just a guess.
    Wizard's First Rule, people are stupid.
    Wizard's Eigth Rule- Deserve Victory. -Terry Goodkind / Author

My 100th post!

I Am A: Chaotic Good Elf Ranger
    Find outWhat D&D Character Are You?

S.H.Y.E.N.I.A.: Synthetic Hydraulic Youth Engineered for Nocturnal Infiltration and Assassination
    What Cyborg are you?

Smile My thoughts...

I'm glad they are charging us .. for many reasons. To sum them up, I want this game to improve and survive. They can't improve the game without our money, and without new customers. I for one would really like to see more people playing the game. New players who are fresh and optimistic and excited about the game. There is no way this is going to happen without the game on store shelves .. and it only gets on shelves by charging for it.

One consolation .. if they are going to put something on store shelves again, then it better not suck. Funcom had many returns of the original product which lost them sales and cost them additional money. I hope that they learned from their mistakes and will put a quality product on the shelves. And again, they have to do it for the holidays, so they are under some pressure to get it out on time.

Its true that in order to accomplish this they will not be focusing on current customers in terms of patches. I am willing to accept this for long term benefit. It has been a while since the last patch, and if you look at the notes for the next patch, you will see what I mean. Its a content patch with no game improvements. The programmers are busy on the booster.

One last comment: Funcom if you are going to give us guild towers, then can you expand the concept so we can use it as a home base, or guild apartments with a guild bank? Please!?!??!
    - Szentasha
    Leader of Unity of the Rose

AOScripter 2.0 If you need a script, you need AOScripter!

*** Remove Social Armor Restrictions Today !!!

Re: My thoughts...

Originally posted by Szentasha
    One last comment: Funcom if you are going to give us guild towers, then can you expand the concept so we can use it as a home base, or guild apartments with a guild bank? Please!?!??!
    You mean actualy give us stuff we asked for instead of a glorious vision someone at dev has had?
    What a interesting idea. But then that definitly would be something that was to be in the game and they would have even harder time to explain why it is an a "boosterpack".

Personaly I think they should go out and tell if they are in that great need of cash. If they started to deliver stuff players asked for and earlier was promised I´m quite sure they would not mind increased subsciptionrates.
    Troll Commando, doing the dirty work that need to be done.

Re: Re: My thoughts...

Originally posted by Spook

You mean actualy give us stuff we asked for instead of a glorious vision someone at dev has had?
    What a interesting idea. But then that definitly would be something that was to be in the game and they would have even harder time to explain why it is an a "boosterpack".

Personaly I think they should go out and tell if they are in that great need of cash. If they started to deliver stuff players asked for and earlier was promised I´m quite sure they would not mind increased subsciptionrates.
    Haha Spook your a weird one I will tell ya
    Sometimes you shock me with how much sense you make and sometimes surprise me with how cruel you can be to some people. This is the afore not the latter. Yet, Gaute did say that turning the controllers into home bases would lead to unpredictabiliity and greif let me expand on that. Say a player logs out inside the controller or whatever. The next day while he is logging on another organization is attacking the controller.He gets killed over and over while they are destroying the tower thus leading to that player /petition for grief killing when in fact he would not know what is going on. I feel that putting in an insurance terminal, bank, or anything that makes players turn this tower from a mining post to a base of operations can lead to ranting and flaming to fix the gas levels or some other aspect so that players can retreat into their safe house. As for a org' bank; did you mean item bank? God, would I love an org bank to be able to disperse items to different vending machines based on a level range that other people of my org could access.
    Wizard's First Rule, people are stupid.
    Wizard's Eigth Rule- Deserve Victory. -Terry Goodkind / Author

My 100th post!

I Am A: Chaotic Good Elf Ranger
    Find outWhat D&D Character Are You?

S.H.Y.E.N.I.A.: Synthetic Hydraulic Youth Engineered for Nocturnal Infiltration and Assassination
    What Cyborg are you?

My opinion is that of.... the addition of a land control aspect in this game is totally and utterly awesome. Of course this new feature is going to expand the gameplay, and for that matter the overall thinking in which AO is played, i.e. strategies,plots,plans,overthrows? I cannot wait until this is available and I am curious to see how it works.

Angry This might sound stupid but.....

Im Rainsford in the Game and I was ninja looted by another omni Named Madalene-Im not familiar with the forums but im sure people will read this even though it has nothing to do with whats going on in this thread-Anyways im just expressing my anger and warning you to not help this scumbag who ninjaed my TK rack today after i died and was summoned back by the engie im my group who held window opened for me.

Exclamation Buy the game twice?

I'm all for land control, sounds like alot of fun. But the idea of purchasing the game a second time on top of the fact that I pay a monthly fee...is funcom in that bad of shape? I'd by more then happy to pay 10.00 or so and download the "booster", but how many times do I have to buy the game to get all the features?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast