Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Anarchy Online Booster Pack with Land Control

Exclamation MAKE A WHINERS THREAD!

PLEASE COSMIC make a thread about discussing the fact that the booster pack will cost money!

I took me ages to read through all the posts complaining about the fact that the booster pack will cost money!
    THAT is NOT what I would like to read in a discussion about the booster pack so please make a new thread for the whiners!!!!

Another thing directed to all the posters on this thread: DO NOT REPEAT what someone already said! I have read very many long similar posts, instead just post:

I am also worried about the big guilds taking over!
    / "insert your name"

(or whatever you are concerned about that has already been posted, that way new ppls don't have to read loads of long post saying the exact same thing!)

Thx "Amado Sinsix Arnall" for those intellegent words, I just returned to AO because of the new over equipment rules (FINALLY!!!) and team missions.

Now I'm VERY thrilled about all the possebileties that this booster pack presents!
    This will truly bring politics in to the game, I can even se the a huge rp aspect where bands of mercenaries (players) can be bought for an attack or defens!
    Betrayal, honesty and pride will make a big differans in plots alliances dubbelcrosses and so on....

think of it!!!!
    Guild A and Guild B allies to take out a control tower of Guild C
    Guild B betrayes Guild A and turns on them during the attack and Guild D suddenly attacks one of Guild A:s control towers while they are out getting there as whooped in there attack....

Sticking with your guild in good and BAD will defenently give a much stronger feeling of unity and freindship!

Friend or Foe?

There must be loads of ppls out there who can se theese and MANY more possebileties!
    And ofcourse intellegent ppls warning about possible exploits and ubalances ONCE! not a hundred times about the same worries, don't you ppls read any of the previous posts?

And finally plz stop letting us know that you are canceling you accounts, it's not like it matters anyway! tell it to your friends who might actually care

I think that paying for the booster is ok since I understand that it takes money to make major changes but please make that a different thread since it makes this thread very hard to get some decent discussion out of!
    it's all a matter of what you want out of life, personally I want it all...
    "Skip Lacour - 2001"

If i was worried about loosing n% my subscribers in the near future, i might consider cashing in now too. A good ole fashioned counter strike.

Does anyone have a transcrupt that is in plain text rather than Micro$oft format?

Or even better post the whole thing here :-)
    Dont you think I look like Geordie from Star Trek?
    <-----------------------------------------------------------
    Actually I look more of a cross between him and Picard don't I?

Even after the chat, too few of the details are clear. Cosmik, will there be ongoing communications with the playerbase about this? How will that be handled, through this thread or maybe a Community Corner thread?

It would help a great deal - especially for smaller organizations - if we knew how to prepare for this before it's released.
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

Warlock: The log can be found on unknownplayer.com or the AO fansites.

Kodiene: in all objectivity, you should also have quoted the parts where it is said that: the org can choose the location of its towers; the main tower grants skill bonuses; the towers come in varying strength and functionality...

I am waiting for more info, but in the meanwhile I am glad that team PvP finally gets some promotion.
    It might even help bring people back to all the deserted playfields.

Originally posted by Warlock
    Does anyone have a transcrupt that is in plain text rather than Micro$oft format?

Or even better post the whole thing here :-)
    Unknown Player has a full log posted Here
    History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris

The first faults are theirs that commit them, the second theirs that permit them. - Unknown

Did you ever get the feeling that the world had an abundance of idiots? And that God had arranged for you to meet every single one of them before you died? - Kuroshio

If a tower is attacked, it needs to be able to announce that fact over guild chat. Also, should a tower be destroyed, it should send a tell to it's creator saying who destroyed it. That way, you'll know who did it even if you're offline at the time.
    Heals - they're not just for tradeskills anymore
    Hypos omni doc RK2 <-- stupid enough to have thought that going past level 150 would help her be a better doc
    Phlair omni mp RK2 solo char
    Nerfbat omni enf RK2 awarded the hammer of braveness
    Shadow Ops

Originally posted by Hypos
    If a tower is attacked, it needs to be able to announce that fact over guild chat. Also, should a tower be destroyed, it should send a tell to it's creator saying who destroyed it. That way, you'll know who did it even if you're offline at the time.
    Attention NormalPlayer: Your towers have all be destroyed by [Storm|Quizotic|The Council|Dust Bridage]. Thanks for playing (and paying)--have a nice day. =P

-Jayde

Sounds like they are delivering on their promises, but what they neglected to tell us at launch was that when they delivered these promises we'd have to pay for it.

I was in on the chat yesterday. None of my questions got asked, but thats a whole other gripe. But from the way Gaute answered the questions it really seemed to me that FC hasn't really thought out these changes very well. There were some very good questions asked that they lightly covered and skimped on answering.

I have a feeling this "booster pack" is going to be rushed out the door just like the original game was. The game will once again become unstable, more unbalanced, and an exploiters playground.

I'm not buying it. If I wanted to play Warcraft, I'd play Warcraft, not AO that is a Warcraft wanna be.
    Marquis "Clearspirit" Pillot
    RK2 Omni Inter-Op

Lorriane "Arosabir" Cratty
    Wanna-be merchant @ Harry's Outpost!

"I was born in the dark but it wasn't last night..."

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kiryat-Dharin
    [B]

Yep.

Of course, let's try another scenario.

Me lvl 75 NT walks in to arena,

lvl 160 ma "want to duel'?

me lvl 75 NT, your kidding right.. I'm a noob sure..

lvl 160 ma, bang, 3 crits, you're toasted.

me lvl 75 nt: Reclaim, my old friend...

Yep. Real balancing.

I was wondering if someone would point that out for him, all us characters after level 75 are free game for any ganker who feels like shooting
    "Did I tell you that you could speak?....then why are you still talking?."

Re: MAKE A WHINERS THREAD!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Avator

Now I'm VERY thrilled about all the possebileties that this booster pack presents!
    This will truly bring politics in to the game, I can even se the a huge rp aspect where bands of mercenaries (players) can be bought for an attack or defens!
    Betrayal, honesty and pride will make a big differans in plots alliances dubbelcrosses and so on....

sure the rp aspects will be something to see, that however doesn't change the fact that eventually the guilds that will control most of the lands can be counted on one hand. It'll happen, you'll see, I'm not complaining by any means, I'm just a realist.

/me prays for anarchy online's health and then prays that when swg launches she can be on the ground floor of an up and coming mega uber guild.

I was wondering if someone would point that out for him, all us characters after level 75 are free game for any ganker who feels like shooting
    First off, My example was just that, an example of the fact that they already have an existing code. I used that particular example knowning full well about the above lvl 75 free for all. But, alas you arm chair coders and devs need something to complain so you decide to look again at the negitive side..what a shame. But since you felt you got me on one let me reiterate (spelled right?) my example. and explination.

They have an existing code, its there, it works, don't worry, with a little change there and here all you lvl 75 wanna be anarchist won't get your wittle bottums hurt when trying to go attack or defend your presious tower. (Better?)
    Offer a flower to your enemy..
    If he refuses it, offer a hand
    If he refuses it, offer a bullet
    If he refuses it, give it to him anyways...

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

Isn't it just a relief when you wake up in the morning and find you didnt wet the bed?!

Beyond your perfection,
    beneath you and who you used to be
    awaits who I am.

Excess Radio! Bringing you tunage 25/7!

no the point I'm making is not all of us even care about pvp, I know I sure don't. and no one is complaining so stop trying to paste tags on people. I have been in this game a long time , possibly longer than you, and I've seen a lot of promises made and a lot of promises shattered. I am only taking funcom's track record into account, and how terribly, unfortunately, they handle balancing issues. if you took a while to examine the patches that have hit the game since day 1 you'd realize that, and I'm not some high horse rider that's going to start calling people noobs, what I AM saying is to examine the past and it'll give you a good idea of the future. I am not bashing funcom because I know for a fact they try hard, all I am saying is that the new mmorpgs are getting ready to burst onto the shelves, shadowbane, star wars galaxies, city of heroes, neocron, so forth and so on. and the only thing I am very wary of is that they will try to rush a product before it's ready, which they have been known to do. Another thing is that they are trying to center everything they do around the concept of player versus player, O.E was a big example I believe,an attempt to curb the uber twinkers so other players had a chance to win against them, because I never heard anyone say, gee, I'm level 70 with a ql 160 novaflow and darn it, mobs are too easy.

I'm just laying down the facts of it, the smaller guilds will get pushed out no matter how many alliances they start or try to hold, cause the truth of the situation is that they'll be powerless against the mega guilds who have arks and gms backing them. It'll be just like special item spawn points, the larger guilds will always control while the smaller guilds will be left to lick up the crumbs, I guess you can say it's survival of the fittest, and while this type of thing happens often in real life and is the norm, in a virtual world where people want to have fun, it puts a dark shadow over things.

Well, after reading the transcript of the chat and everything so far given out about this "booster", I still don't see anything of any value to anyone not into PVP and/or not in a big guild. I would hope that there will be at least _something_ to appeal to soloists and those who don't PVP. If not, I expect they will sell a LOT fewer of these "boosters" than they may hope.

Originally posted by Firedrake
    Well, after reading the transcript of the chat and everything so far given out about this "booster", I still don't see anything of any value to anyone not into PVP and/or not in a big guild. I would hope that there will be at least _something_ to appeal to soloists and those who don't PVP. If not, I expect they will sell a LOT fewer of these "boosters" than they may hope.
    Umm, then you did not read everything. Dai-Gaelen said that people who solo and buy the booster will be able to buy towers that act sort of like pets that protect you or you can pull mobs into your tower from static camps.

Wow how did you miss that one.

Also he mentioned that the bonuses will be on how you operate your controller not how big or uber your guild is.

Damn people only read what they want to.
    Wizard's First Rule, people are stupid.
    Wizard's Eigth Rule- Deserve Victory. -Terry Goodkind / Author

My 100th post!

I Am A: Chaotic Good Elf Ranger
    Find outWhat D&D Character Are You?

S.H.Y.E.N.I.A.: Synthetic Hydraulic Youth Engineered for Nocturnal Infiltration and Assassination
    What Cyborg are you?

Just to help prove that he said what he did here you go the IRC logs:

<UnknownPlayer> <Shiori> My concern is that newer/lower level players may be kicked from their orgs to boost a guild's power in land control.How will this be prevented?
    <gaute> Ah, this is a tricky one
    <gaute> Basically, this is the method:
    <gaute> Areas will come in different level ranges (just like the monsters in them).
    <gaute> We are making methods that means that some of these areas can not be fought over by high-levels, like a level range on them.
    <gaute> These are not the MAJOR areas, of course (leveling should be a bonus, most of the time ), but an area here and there.
    <gaute> We want to encourage an org that also includes lower level members.
    <gaute> Of course, there might be other reasons why you want to not have lower level members in your org, but that is entirely up to you. Im sure if y ou feel that way, letting the low level areas go, will be of no consiquence...

<UnknownPlayer> Question from Enjalica: How will the "Land Control" affect the trivial players that just want to explore the land, will they have to become 24/7 l33t PKers just to walk around Rubi-ka?
    gaute> Ok, im grouping your question, Enjalica, with people asking me about soloing.
    <gaute> There will be included something for the booster pack buyers for the casual and solo players.
    <gaute> We want to incourage outdoor travel and exploration, so we hope to include something we call "Service Towers" (working title).
    <gaute> These are towers you can buy (but mostly make) that are small, temporary towers that offer you protection like a pet.
    <gaute> Or more or less like a pet. It wont move, and its commands are limited
    <gaute> THe point is, the same type of tower technology, cna be applied temporary or "permanently" to gain more control on the land.
    <gaute> These temp towers will be accessible for the casual players (witho your group, build service towers in the Dyna Camp to help holding it) or the soloist (build a tower so you can pull to it...)
    <gaute> The MAIN focus will be for organizations though! Only
    organizations can control land, and we know as you know...

<UnknownPlayer> <Sarelron> How will larger guilds with higher level people be kept from destroying lower level or smaller guilds. Ie, will guild size and average level play into a limiting factor on which guilds can attack which?
    <gaute> We are trying to balance it so that the number of areas controlled is based on the size of your organization and the skill of your members.
    <gaute> But, there will be a "cap" on what you can control! There wont be one "über" guild raging through the landscapes, keeping everyone else down.

Number of areas around Rubi-Ka not how large one area will be. Also I am sure that FunCom will put in code to keep the uber guilds from getting unfair advantages.

Just had to clear that part up.
    Wizard's First Rule, people are stupid.
    Wizard's Eigth Rule- Deserve Victory. -Terry Goodkind / Author

My 100th post!

I Am A: Chaotic Good Elf Ranger
    Find outWhat D&D Character Are You?

S.H.Y.E.N.I.A.: Synthetic Hydraulic Youth Engineered for Nocturnal Infiltration and Assassination
    What Cyborg are you?

Ummm...read it again. The quote from them is "We want to encourage outdoor travel and exploration, so we hope to include something we call "Service Towers" (working title).
    [gaute] These are towers you can buy (but mostly make) that are small, temporary towers that offer you protection like a pet. "

Please note the wording, i.e. "we HOPE to include" (emphasis mine). This indicates it is by no means certain they will do this. If they DO in fact include it, I'm sure that it may appeal to some soloists though. Not to me, but I am sure that some exist that it would.

As to the bit about guilds and how you operate your controller and whatnot...heh, I'll believe this when I see it. So far I am less than convinced by what little _specifics_ were given about this new system. I see a lot of "we hope" and we are trying", but having been quite disappointed by Funcom in the recent past, I fail to have the level of hope that you do about this that it will be gotten right.
    Last edited by Firedrake; Aug 13th, 2002 at 19:41:02.

Originally posted by Amado Sinsix Arnall

First off, My example was just that, an example of the fact that they already have an existing code. I used that particular example knowning full well about the above lvl 75 free for all. But, alas you arm chair coders and devs need something to complain so you decide to look again at the negitive side..what a shame. But since you felt you got me on one let me reiterate (spelled right?) my example. and explination.

They have an existing code, its there, it works, don't worry, with a little change there and here all you lvl 75 wanna be anarchist won't get your wittle bottums hurt when trying to go attack or defend your presious tower. (Better?)
    You missed my point. I know they have an existing system. The existing system is unbalanced and encourages ganking. A level 135 gets hit by a level 200, maybe they have a chance to run before they're dead. A level 75? Alpha-strike, dead. No chance at all. I'm not worried about whether they *can* implement a system. I know they can, and will implement a system.

I worry about whether the system will be fair and balanced. Yes, with a little change all the level 75s would be much better off. I don't think they're going to make that change. Do you?
    Gunned down the young. Now old, crotchety, and back.

First off, I am not going to argue how long I have been playing this game (FC acounting knows this) so that is a mute point. How ever I do know of all the patches that have come through from release to present. Yes, there has been problems, Yes, there has been mistakes, I have nor ever will dispute this. However, Tell me what game hasn't had them that is of this same magnatude that has had as big of an impact on the mmorpg industry as AO has? Tell me what game out there who did not have any problems with any of its coding or what not that has not set industry standards as AO has?

First of you need to understand, If a company contiues to fail at its objective long enough it will fall this is a given. everyone agrees with it. How ever, What people always tend to forget is that if you always judge a company by its past performance it will always be worse (in the best case senerio mind you) than what it is at the present. That is the goal of any company in any country with any CEO or board of directors. Because! if a company does not improve itself from the past it will become stagnate and thus fall out of favor and/or disolve into history.

If you continue to look at past mistakes and always expect the worse I will say one thing you will always be quite surprised and probably very impressed by anything that you have gotten. However, I know this is not the case for most of you. No, you even looking at the past of FC abilities to bring you what you expect from the game you continue to "hope, expect, want" something better, thus you lead your self to your own conclusions that it will never ever meet or surpass your expectations.

Better to not worry about it, and enjoy the game for what it is now, and if you don't enjoy it take a break for awhile come back to it as many have done recently with a pleasent surprise. But to say "I fear that it will fail because of the past history is not only futile to your cause but to many other people's cause as well.

And to worry about weather or not FC rushes the booster is futile as well, I mean if you are going to judge FC by its past performance well, take also into fact that they realize that they are not able to get Shadowlands out in time. So they do the next best thing. bring out some items that are already close to completion(in thier time frame, not ours) in a booster pack. There, one negitive cancels out a positive. that subject is equal now.

Now as far as promises made promises broken, If you are gullable to take what some one gives you in the context of "hope, would like to, trying to or what not" you keep fooling your selves.

And I promise you I will try create a game that I hope you can play and I would like to make it so you don't have a complaint about anything.

/rant off

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

Isn't it just a relief when you wake up in the morning and find you didnt wet the bed?!

Beyond your perfection,
    awaits who I am.

I worry about whether the system will be fair and balanced. Yes, with a little change all the level 75s would be much better off. I don't think they're going to make that change. Do you?
    Honestly, Yes, I do think they are going to make that change. And I did not miss your point, infact I made the attempt to clarify it so you knew I do think they will change it in the following quote (minus the rude behavior on my part, apologies on that)

They have an existing code, its there, it works, don't worry, with a little change there and here all you lvl 75 people wont get ganked when trying to go attack or defend your presious tower by higher level people (Better?)

Beyond your perfection,
    awaits who I am.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast