Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OTPC: Omni-Pol institutes new enforcement initiatives

OTPC: Omni-Pol institutes new enforcement initiatives

Omni-Pol institutes new enforcement initiatives
    March 30, 29480 [Global]

OTPC - In wake of a recent surge in criminal behavior and deviance in Omni-Tek cities, as well as increased disobedience to authorities, Omni-Pol has announced new initiatives to keep peace and order strong in our great cities.

"Dissent is not to be tolerated," Omni-Pol Director Ivan Sergeyich simply said. "It is unacceptable. Omni-Tek employees and visitors alike are expected to abide by corporate law and policies at all times."

Director Sergeyich took the time to speak with the OTPC at his office in Omni-HQ. Concerned about the recent rise in problems throughout Omni-Tek cities, he and his command staff decided to implement new initiatives including a revised use-of-force policy in order to curb deviant behavior.

Director Sergeyich explained, "The objective is quite simple: maintaining order. Omni-Pol has been allowed to become more lax in its methods of handling problems. These methods have been revised to allow officers use of a wider array of problem solving techniques.

"Needless to say, individuals refusing to comply with Omni-Pol authority will find the response most unpleasant."

In the past several months, Omni-Pol has seen rebellious and deviant behavior rise significantly. The instances where employees talk back to, threaten, and taunt Omni-Pol officers has become far too common, and as far as Sergeyich is concerned, has crossed the line.

"We have been most agreeable in dealing with these matters," Sergeyich said. "We have allowed some things to go unaddressed. This is not the case anymore. Clearly it is necessary for us to become much more critical and hands-on in our dealings with Rubi-Ka."

As part of this new initiative, Omni-Pol's new use of force policy allows officers to freely use force to regain control of situations when it "is deemed as the most viable option" and "needed to suppress or control individuals not responding to warnings, instructions, and conventional methods of direction."

The new initiatives set forth by Omni-Pol, including the revised use of force policies, went into effect today at midnight.

"is deemed as the most viable option" and "needed to suppress or control individuals not responding to warnings, instructions, and conventional methods of direction."

This is going to get interesting. I wonder how the deviants are going to react to this.
    Slynthia - 220 - Solitus - Trader - RK1 - Terminal Velocity
    Sidus - 120 - Solitus - Enforcer - RK1 - Terminal Velocity

BEST! THREAD! EVER!

sobeguy: It is the Way of the Trader to laugh in the face of adversity, smile in the face of death, and enjoy the in-flight peanuts when you realize your plane just lost a wing.

Basicly this is the long way of saying that the Pols can shoot first and ask questions after.

Nice. gives me a reason to not leave my gun at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotts
    Nice. gives me a reason to not leave my gun at home.

..said the Neutral planning to visit Tir.

Okay let's be honest. I don't like terms like "Dissent will not be tollerated." But I don't like to see people taking attacking our guards and getting away with it, especially when they are Omni. That level of anarchism should not be tollerated in a civilised society. Freedom should not extend to the freedom to murder.

Savoy
    Last edited by Savoy; Mar 30th, 2006 at 09:04:27.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

Quote Originally Posted by Savoy
    Freedom should not extend to the freedom to murder.
    Correct. The battlefield is one thing, common society another.
    But a law enforcement agency cannot break the very laws they're supposed to uphold and still be trustworthy.
    They cannot shoot first and indiscriminately and should never use more force than required to bring a suspect to court.
    It's a fine line, the one about knowing who's a criminal and who isn't. That's why it should be up to the courts, giving people the chance to defend themselves and all that..
    Of course, that's a democratic thing and OT isn't know for it's democratic approach.

Well, my friends will not have to look hard to find me if some ommerpoller gets frisky with them. Regardless of which faction they subscribe to..
    Tempus fugit.

Everybody has a photographic memory.
    Some don't have film.

When you find a big kettle of crazy it's best not to stir it.
    -PHB/Scott Adams

Well.... Interesting
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it is has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Gurney "Twistshot" Halleck

Want to learn how to roleplay? Click Here for ideas! Looking for other Roleplayers? /tell channel42 !join and meet them! Want a larger source for RP? Go to www.ao-universe.com

Quote Originally Posted by Editor: OTPC
    [size=4]"Dissent is not to be tolerated," Omni-Pol Director Ivan Sergeyich simply said. "It is unacceptable. Omni-Tek employees and visitors alike are expected to abide by corporate law and policies at all times."
    Dissent to others can also be seen as freedom of speech, and as such surely even those in Omni-Tek must be allowed these rights. To say what needs to be said about bad management above them. To bring forth newer and better ideas. To gain ground for any kind of growth they need freedom. Not to be locked in a room and beaten senseless by some suited thugs who "act for the greater good" by forcing others to heal, reform, and follow the company line even if thats off a cliff. What are they wanting to turn thier employees into? a bunch of blind leets on a clifftop?

There is a huge differance between keeping law and order. And crushing those who decide to think freely. This speech is all about crushing free will. Its totally disgusting!
    Major "Nyadach" Prabel
    Neutral and proud of it!

Quote Originally Posted by jokzer
    Of course, that's a democratic thing and OT isn't know for it's democratic approach.
    In truth OT is no less democratic than the Clans, or indeed than most Neutral territories. Newland City is the one place on Rubi-Ka today where we can see democracy in action these days. We'll just have to see how it works out for them.

In scheme of things, you might imagine Omni and Clanners who believe in democracy flocking to Newland City and applying for Neutral citizenship to take part in this noble experiment. Unfortunately neither Omni nor Clanners can revert to Neutral status. We can only watch it from the sidelines, and maybe learn something, maybe not.

Savoy

Clan is just as democratic as the Neutrals are....With a touch of anarchy, I suppose. *soft chuckle*
    220 Finalizer (FINALLY, after 3 years without a single ding!) Nulion, Squad Commander (And Council of Truth Clerical Staffer) of Alpha Omega

Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly...Suddenly I awoke...Now, I do not know whether I was then
    a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming that I am a man. - Chuang Tzu

What makes you say the Clans are democratic?

Savoy

At a guess, beause the Clans aren't governed by an off-world board of directors riven by one thing, to maximise profit.
    Neither are the Neuts, come to that. I hope their experiment works out, it'll be interesting to watch.
    Me? Trouble? No trouble..

As Mae West said: "Never resist temptation, you don't know if you'll get another chance."

I fail to see what the big deal is.

Almost every employee, with the exception of those who joined the corporation later in life, was raised in the “corporate” environment and attended corporate schools where company policy is not a booklet, it’s a class. All employees understand and are expected to submit to the laws of the corporation so that the corporation can maintain peace. At the same time, all visitors should be expected to submit to the same laws. Anyone not willing to acknowledge and accept Corporate Law should not be inside territories actively controlled by the Corporation.

All employees know that breaking the peace can be punishable by death in order to ensure the safety of those employees not involved or those who feel threatened by the offender.

I for one believe these increases in security are long over due and applaud Director Sergeyich for his choice in this matter.
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

I was wondering how long it would take them to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Savoy
    Freedom should not extend to the freedom to murder.

Sorry, an Omni talking about their "freedom" always gives me the chuckles.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahava
    At a guess, beause the Clans aren't governed by an off-world board of directors riven by one thing, to maximise profit.
    We can agree OT is not a democracy.

My question is in what way, shape or form are the Clans democratic? Do show me please when Silverstone, Sister Elsabet, Tussa, Astera, Lord Galahad or Lady Xaun (funny how many Clan leader like to assume feudal titles) are due for re-election, assuming any of the above was elected in the first place.

Until the the day there is actual proof of Clan democratic credentials and follow the example of Newland City, the Clans can hardly accuse Omni Tek of not being democractic.

Pot, kettle, black and all that.

Savoy

Quote Originally Posted by Kotts
    Sorry, an Omni talking about their "freedom" always gives me the chuckles.

Maybe, but you realise that at this very same moment there is a Newlander saying "A clanner talking about their 'freedom' always gives me the chuckles."

What you must come to accept is that Omni failings do not automatically translate into Clan virtues.

Savoy

Savoy...I'm with the Council of Truth, and we are a very democratic force within the Clans. Everything we do is with majority rule, and this time the Council is formed of everyday ordinary people with concerns and worries that they want to bring to our attention.

So more or less...we are put where we are by the people, for the people.

Isn't that Democracy?
    220 Finalizer (FINALLY, after 3 years without a single ding!) Nulion, Squad Commander (And Council of Truth Clerical Staffer) of Alpha Omega

Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly...Suddenly I awoke...Now, I do not know whether I was then
    a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming that I am a man. - Chuang Tzu

No, the Council of Truth is NOT a democracy. One Clanner one vote is democracy. One Clan one vote is just a political alliance.

The fact that matters raised at the CoT are decided by majoirty vote is irrelevant given that (a) CoT does not represent all Clanners, only those who signed up and (b) and not every person who sits on the CoT is an elected representative of his Clan.

The CoT resembles at best something like the old United Nations, back on Earth all those many years ago. Member states of the United Nations would vote on issues, however not every nation taking part of the UN was a democracy, nor could the the UN be mistaken as an Earth government. At worse the CoT could be comapred to a council of feudal lords or a viking moot.

What is important about the events in Newland is that Mayor King was voted in directly by ordinary citizens. Any Neutral with (SLC 40 or more) was able to cast his vote. He was not appointed by Circle G or the Independent Rubi-Kans or any other neutral factions. He was voted in by the people. That is nothing like the Council of Truth.

Savoy
    Last edited by Savoy; Mar 31st, 2006 at 22:56:37.

Lets not turn this into an argument whose version of a non-autocratic government system more resembles pure democracy

Omni-pol going back to cracking skulls of those that don't agree with "management"? Not suprising really.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast