Thread: Norwegian First Name Pronunciation

Norwegian First Name Pronunciation

Hey guys from Norway.

How do you pronounce the first names:

Geir and Øyvind?

A link to a wave file would be cool if nothing else.

Thanks in advance.

Bump...someone must know the answer!

Hehe I'll have a go, thou I'm swedish...

Geir

The G is hard, like in "Great", so Geir starts off soundling like "Gay". The R is a bit difficult, I can't think of any english word that uses R in that form. Scandinavians use a form of R that is vibrating, kinda like if you say D and keep the tounge wobbling. D D D D really really fast becomes a enlongated scandinavian R. You could settle for a standard english R thou. Or think of Irish dialect, where R is pronounced very close to the teeth and sounds more distinct then in british/US english.

Øyvind

Ø sounds ilke the U in "Rum". Connected with the Y it sounds like "oi" but with the U from "Rum". vind sounds just like "wind", but with a single V at the start, like "Vampire".
    Uijvind (with a soft J) should be pretty close.

lol hope you can understand some of it, I hardly do. 8P
    /DaveDread (D.A.V.E.D.R.E.A.D.: Digital Artificial Violence and Exploration Device/Replicant Engineered for Assassination and Destruction mohahaha)

200 Opifex Clanner Gimp - Dinged in Style! (dimached a Virulent Minibull) Finally got my head straight, nothing like a goat helmet to get you in shape again. Oh, and those marks on my forehead (yah, still visible through the helmet, duh)... It was a Motorcycle baby. Really. Ran me over in West Athens while I was working on my tan. Think I look bad? You should see the biker.