Thread: Freelance: Robotics company settles out of court

Independent Reporters of Rubi-Ka Editor: IRRK's Avatar

Freelance: Robotics company settles out of court

Robotics company settles out of court
    February 27, 29480 - Noticiero Rivera

IRRK Freelance - Mr. Nemoli, a neutral citizen living in Newland filed a suit against RUR company on the charge of negligence due to a malfunctioning robot that went haywire a few weeks ago.

A few days later the company receive a subpoena to appear in court February 15th to face the plaintiff.

RUR Lawyers managed to postpone the court date to February 28h.

RUR's legal counsel presented a copy of a contract earlier today to a presiding ICC Judge in Andromeda which shows Mr. Nemoli reneged on his right to any lawsuit when he bought the robot.

Mr. Nemoli was notified of the meeting and appeared with his own legal advisor.

After careful consideration the judge determined that the lawsuit filed by Mr. Nemoli was legal because the contract he signed was specifically referring to the robot's main features which were vacuum cleaning.

The judge said, "After looking over the contract and viewing the images and reports presented it is my judgement that the plaintiff is within his rights to see RUR in court about this case. The man bought a robot to clean his home, not to tear it or him apart. The February 28th court date stands. Good day gentlemen."

Mr. Nemoli's legal advisor and the RUR's bureaucrats meet privately and came to an agreement to settle out of court for an undisclosed amount of credits.

All charges have been dropped by the plaintiff. Since the lawsuit was filed last month RUR shares dropped a total of 15% making many shareholders nervous about the future of the company.

Will RUR be able to recover from this setback? Only time will tell.
    Last edited by Editor: IRRK; Feb 27th, 2006 at 09:01:54.

The only thing I'm confused about here is why this matter was handled by the ICC court. The only legal matters that the ICC has juristiction over are intersteller trade disputes involving outside corporations and matters involving the peacekeepers. Personal injury claims between a citizen and a local company aren't something they would usually be involved in.

Normally, this sort of matter would be handled by a local court. Even though RUR has strong ties to Omni-Tek, it is independantly owned and I believe (I could be wrong) that they are headquartered in Newland. Since the plaintiff also is a citizen of Newland, this matter should have been handled by Newland's court, not the ICC.

If for some reason a lawsuit could not be filed in Newland, a second option might be to file your claim in Omni-1. That might have limited success though, as Omni-Tek doesn't want to meddle in Newland's local affairs for political reasons.
    Last edited by Jacob Stroud; Feb 27th, 2006 at 09:50:03.
    Administrator Jacob Stroud
    Omni-Tek Department Affiliate Program - Administrative Representative, Rimor

Omni-Administrative Services Special Operations Subdepartment K-62
    Commissioner, RKDC

From my understanding, we appear in the court the suit was filed under. Maybe you should ask the plantiff why he filed with ICC instead of Omni-Tek or Newland.
    Offer a flower to your enemy..
    If he refuses it, offer a hand
    If he refuses it, offer a bullet
    If he refuses it, give it to him anyways...

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

Isn't it just a relief when you wake up in the morning and find you didnt wet the bed?!

Beyond your perfection,
    beneath you and who you used to be
    awaits who I am.

Excess Radio! Bringing you tunage 25/7!

Quote Originally Posted by Mire
    From my understanding, we appear in the court the suit was filed under. Maybe you should ask the plantiff why he filed with ICC instead of Omni-Tek or Newland.
    Well yes, that is exactly what I'm asking...
    Administrator Jacob Stroud
    Omni-Tek Department Affiliate Program - Administrative Representative, Rimor

Omni-Administrative Services Special Operations Subdepartment K-62
    Commissioner, RKDC

Hmm, an interesting story. I can see why the neutral filed suit with ICC instead of OT or the Newland Council. The council was recently formed and probably would avoid any problems with an Omni-Tek Department (which is what RUR is).

While dealing with OT they would be at a disadvantage since the corporation do not recognize neutrality and very likely support their employees and their product.

ICC on the other hand does not benefit nor does it have anything to fear from OT on such a small case.

In other words, Mr. Nemoli picked the channel in which he would have the best chance of winning his case.

Technically he did not win however, RUR settled out of court so now there is nothing on record against them. Lawsuit dropped, and probably all evidence will be suppressed as part of the deal with the former plaintiff.

With all the information RUR has they probably have or will be 'upgrading' the bot to avoid any further incidents.

I wouldn't care much about it if it wasn't that the RUR shares that I own went down like a damn rock.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

What a load of bronto dung.

I buy lots of things that are ment for one use, and if I misuse it and it blows up, taking my hands with it, it dose not give me the right to sue the makers.

But then its a moot point, it is settled and done with.

But I do think that ICC's ruling was still a load of dung.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it is has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Gurney "Twistshot" Halleck

Want to learn how to roleplay? Click Here for ideas! Looking for other Roleplayers? /tell channel42 !join and meet them! Want a larger source for RP? Go to www.ao-universe.com

was it misused? thats the problem. If you buy something, and DONT mess around with it, and it still blows up...