Thread: Ruins

Ruins

A loud alarm from a concol on the wall rappidly woke the doctor from her dreams. She sat up in bed trying to figure out what the noice was.
    She satared over to the wall. The blinking lights told her somethign was very wrong in her lab over in Old Athen.
    Within a minuit she had put a lab rock on, and a pair of shoes, grabbing a hair ribbon as she ran by the counter, dashing
    toward the small grid entrance she had installed in her appartment. With a click on her com she was transfered into the grid, racing towards Old Athens,
    Once there she rushed to her lab. She ran to the door. it had been pryed open. As she stepped inside, she froze. The total devastation before her took a few sexond to sink in.
    Before her the floor was covered with ripped apart plants, crached pots, dirt and vial samples. Years of work was thrown out over the floor.
    Plants that she for years had nursed like children were dead or dying. She slowly turned to the intercom on th wall next to the door.
    She pressed it. A buzzing soud was heard.
    "The vanguards office, how may I help you?"
    "This is Doctor Duvall, there has beena breakin in my lab. can you send someone over?"
    "Serainly, soemone will be with you shortly"
    As she looked at the devastation, jinxxy sunk to her knees, and tears started running down her face.
    "Who could have done this?" she whisperd to herself.
    She reached out and picked up a small plant with strage red leafs. It didn't even had a name yet, she had found it just a few days ago,
    on the edge of a lava pool in inferno,
    Slowly she got up, gently walked across the floor, found a metal jar that was intact, scraped together some dirt in it and gently
    put in the small plant.
    That was how the vanguard officer found her.
    "What happend here?" the officer asked.
    "I don't know, I was awaked by the alarm" Jinxxy said.
    "If you mind stepping outside while i examine the crimesceene" the officer said.
    Jinxxy took the plant and walked out,
    Without knowing how she got there, she was staiding outside her office in Jobe. This was where she saw her patients.
    Slowly she opend the door. Inside she put the plant down on her desk.
    Out of all the hundreds of plants this was all that was left of her research.
    She sat down at her desk linked her vristpad tot he computer on her desk.
    As the text flickerd by on the screen, she sighed.
    transfering data from the comuter to the text pad she made a list of all the speciments that had been destroyed, and where she had found them.
    Walking over to the closet, pulling out her gear, she put on an enviromental suit, grabbed a huge backpack and her hiking shoes, and headed out the door.
    "This is gonna take some time" she said to herself. "But i can't give up now."
    With a determined face she headed towards the portal to Elysium, and off to the wast Shadowlands.
    As she headed over a mountain she sent a message to her employer, knowing that after she had passed it she would be out of comrange for a long time.
    Walking into the horizon she tought of the things she was leaving behind, feeling sadness over things that could have been.
    "No point in looking back" she said to herself, "You can't change the past, only the future"
    Walking down the mountain she was out of comrange, she was out in nowhere, on her own.
    "If somethign would happen to me, would anyone even notice i am gone?" She though as she heard thee static from the com, then swiching it of, the last link to civilisation broken.
    If you are afraid of dying you will never truly live

((Very nice! Man, sad to hear her lab got trashed ))
    220 Finalizer (FINALLY, after 3 years without a single ding!) Nulion, Squad Commander (And Council of Truth Clerical Staffer) of Alpha Omega

Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly...Suddenly I awoke...Now, I do not know whether I was then
    a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming that I am a man. - Chuang Tzu

She pulled out a canteen of water and drank slowly, whiping the sweat from her forhead.
    Looking out over the view that lay before her, she was amazed by it's beauty.
    She put her backpack down, pulled out a jar, and small showel and bent down to gently dig out the small plant.
    With gentle hands she placed the speciment in the jar. Looking at it you woulnd't think that this weedlooking plant held such powers.
    Jinxxy knew the potency of the extract that could be made of it's leefs.
    Putting the jab and the equipment back in the backpack she hoysted it back up on her bach, adjusting the straps.
    "Well, another one to mark of the list" she said to herself.
    With determined steps she continued walking across the wast landscape. She knew it would be another 2 days hike to get to the place she
    had found the next plant on the list, across mountains, in a small secluded valley.
    Walking like this alone, to many thoughts crosses ones mind, thinking about things that had happend, and things that could have happend.
    As the sun set she made camp, made some dinner and fell asleep. when the sun came up, she started walking again, through territorys
    noone ever visited.
    For a full day she walked, up over a mountain, at the top she made camp.
    At first signs of light she started downthe mountain.
    The view was breathtaking, a thick matt of flowers, all the colours of the rainbow layed before her.
    Pulling put her holocamera she took picture after picture.
    Walking across the field she came to the area where the next speciment on the list grew. A small yellow orchid looking plant.
    She gently pulled it up by the root, placing it in a jar and adding it to her growing collection in the bag.
    "That makes 25" she mutterd to herself.
    Suddenly she heard a growling behind her.
    Some strange creature with lots of sharp teeth had sneaked up on her.
    Jinxxy froze. "Where did i put that thing" she though. Reaching to her side she fent the handle. She gripped it, pulled it out and pressed a button.
    With a swoosh the lasterblade activated.
    The creature lounged towards her. In panic she tried to hit it, but missed.
    She could feel the teeth sink into her arm.
    Nanobots rushed through her blood to heal the injury.
    A could of bots shot out towards the creature. slowing it's attack.
    This time she was prepaired for it comming and managed to parry the attack, making a gaping gash in it's side.
    The laser blade burned it's flesh, sealing it so it wouldn't bleed, but the damage mae it stop in it's tracks.
    With a growl it turned and ran back the way it had come.
    "I have to be more carefull" she though.
    She cleaned away the blood and looked at the gaping hole on her sleeve.
    With a shrug she continued on, She started to head towards the portal to the next zone.
    If you are afraid of dying you will never truly live