Thread: Does cutting Gems ever increase the QL?

Does cutting Gems ever increase the QL?

Does anyone know if it is possible to increase the QL of a gem but having a person with high mech eng cut the gem? Thanks!

Re: Does cutting Gems ever increase the QL?

Originally posted by Seraphfirst
    Does anyone know if it is possible to increase the QL of a gem but having a person with high mech eng cut the gem? Thanks!
    Dont know if it raises the QL, but cutting it does raise the selling price
    Dont you think I look like Geordie from Star Trek?
    <-----------------------------------------------------------
    Actually I look more of a cross between him and Picard don't I?

i believe it's the same Ql, but as War says, it increases the price pretty decent
    220/27/62 Crat | 200 NT | 200 fixer |174/14/42 twink trox nt| 100/12 trader| 60/6 enf|

Total levels gained since nov 2002 |2500+ |

7 years to ding 220, any better?

No, cutting it does not raise the QL. I can get my ME over 1150, and have never had a gem's QL increase.

When we are on this subject, is it possible to polish gems? I have seen in a few tutorials that you "cut and polish it and you end up with a perfectly cut and polished gem which can be put on a gold filigree ring set with a perfectly cut and polished gem".

The art of ring making

-> Inanis: Polishing and cutting is combined in one process in AO. Self made rings require a multi step process.

To get a 'Metal*' Filigree Ring you have to extract and melt down some jewelry (almost all type of rings and bracers can be used), use a wire drawing machine on the molten metal and then a generic ring template. (for detailed description please refer to The Workshop)

* Silver/Gold/Platinum

Now you can add any gem to it, preferably cut before (exception Blue Pearl by Conner and Silver Onyx). For cutting (and polishing) you need this device: Jensen Gem Cutter. Now you simply combine the two and have your self made ring. Silver is not worth the effort (was changed recently ), gold so lala, and Platinum I can't tell you, but sells best.

Limiting skill is Mechanical Engineering (ME) and you need about ql x 5 to combine ring and gem. Nice detail, determining ql is the filigree ring, so you can boost the value of the end product a bit by this.

So long,

Max(imilian)
    100% curious

Cool

QL won't increase even if you have insane ME, which is the base skill for this process.

Making a filigree ring though increases QL by 1 from ingot to ring state is my experience.
    Novice Jica - Nobel Prize Engineer
    Clan Apocalypse - The Guild for Models

Jica's Tradeskills & Tower Shop

"What is the definition of an engineer?"
    "Someone who solves a problem you didn't know you had, in a way you don't understand."