Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Story and Events

Angry plop

Funcom has no policy for europeans, and i think, they'll simply ignore those costumers in the futur ...

I don't believe anymore in FC, for the story, for the help of europeans, for the servers and such ...

and when a gamer don't believe anymore in his game ... well, it's a sign that there is a problem ...

after playing about 600 hours of AO, fighting with the ECG (euro coordination group), chatting with ARK's or GM's, sending mail to the support,

... and never get ANY results ... what do you expect europeans will do sooner or later ?

What i don't understand is, why don't FC clearly say to the people : "ok guys, we will do the best for the storyline, etc.., but it will be US based, so forget about Euro zones ! At least, they would be honest ! ".

Nevermind ...

Satya

Ah nothing like a little xenophobia to add a little ****e to your gaming.

To anyone who classifies a whole nation of people based on the actions or word of one or two individuals, you are bigots. You are no better than any other intolerant racist out there.

French people, German people, American People, British People, Japanese People, all have one thing in common... we are all human beings, and are no different from anyone else. We all have our loudmouths, our braggerts, our morons, our genius', and our bigots.

I have no more tolerance for the ignorant statements made by Americans, blasting a whole culture based on the actions or words of a few, then I do for anyone else.

Grow a brain fellas, we certainly could use a little more understanding around here.

Lightbulb Keep the Movie But TIE it in better (read me bump me ;-)

I love the Game even though I feel it is stagnent at the moment.
    I love the Movies.

There are two reasons I stay with the game.
    1) it's the Only Si-Fi game of it's kind around (Yo Microsoft do something with the SHADOWRUN title you own!)

2) The movies. They make me feel like there is something more than hack and slash.

One thing that needs REAL attention are the missions. I have no interest in PVP and the missions are too mindless.

Roleplaying is also suffering. I spent some time to figure out what the real problem is and I will post it when I find a correct section to do so.

I dont spend alot of time reading the story or the book but the movies keep me comming back... but they need more of a tie in.

For example the bomb in OE (Omni Entertainment) There should be someone there to talk to who gives you some info on what happened in game. Maybe even a simple mission on how you can find out something more. Like :

Guard: We believe the Clan was involved... bla bla bla... You can aid us by doing a scouting mission. Go see (whomever) in Omni HQ (or where ever) for more information.

(Whomever @ HQ): We need your help go to (where ever and do a mission)

It almost doesnt matter if it is a random mission but it would give the FEEL that a players actions mean something.

I would personally enjoy that type of ingame mission. Perhaps it's static but each instance is a spawn. Maybe something like you enter a building, must find a pass key for a highsecurity door then access a computer to download information and return it to Omni HQ.

Here is a lil taste of what I think of standard missions.
    In the individual and group booths I think a random mission should come up that forces a character to seek out help from another. The ability to solo, while fun keeps the world isolated.
    Here is one thought on a new mission type.

Engineer level 20 pulls a mission. A Special mission come up (new Icon Type) The mission is inpart for an engineer and the reward is an engineer specific item @20% higher level than the mission level) This makes the Engineer want to go through the trouble of doing the mission. Perhaps adding 2 other items @ mission level for random class. The Rub. The item needed is in a chest that only a Fixer can open. So now the engineer needs to enlist another char. And a Fixer will feel needed and special . The chest of course can only be opened by the fixer (of any level). The mission level would be factored by the % of the original mission but would be factored by the average of all party members entering the mission. If the Original holder of the mission exits the Mission fails. it can be re-entered but will be fully regenerated and again factored on the party average.

The mission generated will always require a diffrent class than the original holder. A door Or security override only an Engineer can open. Sneeking past a High security point that only an Agent can get past. A computer only a Nanotek Can operate. Ect.

The possibilites are endless. Now I know this takes some doing. I am a programmer also and have worked on a few awward winning games from Accolade and Buenavista. But the Missions need serious work. People Powerlevel and PVP because missions are boring and there is not another outlet. The Movies are great keep them comming and Tie them in with Perm Mobs who you can talk to

Sorry for being so long winded and please forgive the spelling mistakes it's about 4 am here and I am a bit sleepy

-Koyote
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IF YOU READ THIS AND LIKE IT PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO REPLY!
    It's the only way for them to know

When does the second season of the story line start? June? Man it's hard to believe the story arc is 25% over. To be honest, it feels like the story line hasn't even begun.

In a way it's kind of shocking. You sell a game, and on the box it says "immersing 4 year story arc" or some sort of thing. You delay the start of the story from game launch till the very end of October, then you announce that the story will only be a "part time thing" with 6 months of story and 6 months of no changes in the story. And then it turns out that the first season is just November and December, only 2 months. Then you ask us what changes we may want in the story?

<HOW ABOUT ONE INSIDE THE GAME FOR STARTERS>

Let me put it this way and make it really simple. Your current deployment of the "story" is a total failure. No one is immersed in it. No one even knows what it is. People are making it up as they go along. Most people aren't reading the pdf's. Most people didn't want to buy a book, they wanted to buy a game, and not need to read someone’s sophomoric attempt at literature that in fact has almost no real correlation to "game-play"

You have to raise the stakes. You need to have GMs and ARKs playing NPCs in the game making things happen. You need people leading raids against omni mines and taking out the operations, you need counter terrorist forces, you need clan subversives and omni assassinations. You need to dynamically and frequently change gas zones in areas to fit story events, and you need to get players interacting in these events on a smaller scale but far more frequently.

Why can't an ARK playing an NPC go to a guild leader and give the guild a mission? Why doesn't this happen? I mean god, you have the tools to tell a story, I just have no idea why you are failing so miserably to do it.
    Last edited by Nichola_Six; Dec 28th, 2001 at 21:15:48.

First of all,I didn't read thou the whole thread.If wat I will suggest now,already been proposed by someone else.My apologize to the original postal,not trying to steal the idea from you.

Since the game are center around the conflict between two forces.Why not make the story taken to a point when both side will have to compete for a single item,person or even honor?Wheter it's hijacking military equitment or recovering a essential item or rescue some important person are not important.As long as both side have a reason to start a large scale PVP in a zone.

Furthermore,I would suggest these battles should happen in more then one zone but start at the same time.This will allow both sides to properly planning of their troops (players), and also reduce possibility of lag and disconnect. Funcom should forecast the event's date,time and zones a week or so early, in order to let the players have times to prepare.

In my opinion,winner of these events, should more or less tweak the story toward a direction that will benefit their side.

Please excuse me for my broken English.

Talking Malachii wonders...

I enjoy the storyline... and I do feel like I'm part of something within the storyline. What would have been interesting right now is to see the smouldering ruins of the building that was destroyed at the end of Episode 4 : Dust to Dust.

Also... maybe certain players should be approached by certain shady factions within Omni-tek? Or the actual employers at Omni-tek approach mercenary types, or members within their society to meet or infiltrate a suspect band of individuals.

I was talking with a very nice ARK called Traineme (I think that's how it's spelt) who has appeared to help with the many questions I hold, and also... *jumps up and down* another one called... oh... *has to think for a moment* bear with me... Asphalt... or something. That's probably not his name at all, so I hope he's either having a good laugh at my lack of memory recollection.

Anyway, I was talking to them about a 'time-warp' I entered... then moved onto Storyline discussion. I like the way they seem so... Excited. I respect any company that is showing that they are roleplayers, or with roleplaying as a main part of their work.

Okay, so we got exploiters, we got power gamers... but I always live by a code of ignorance. As long as it doesn't ruin my experience or my associates... *shrugs*

Have I gone off subject? Sorry if I have.

By the way... I would LOVE to be part of the storyline.

So... by saying this. If there are any people out there please contact me in Rubi-Ka and we can go for a little chat and drink at the Rompa.

I came off world with my colleagues to offer a service to the company of Omni-tek for certain personal and business reasons... and we're looking for like minded ones who are also into the 'trade' of... cleaning work. *winks with a sinister smile*

Oh... one last thing. We don't accept 'Imps', 'Plants' or 'Mages' into the company. We're pure and honest to our humanity and skills.

Thank you for the time needed to cope with my scribble.

-Malachii, head of the arcane reverie.

Wink Storyline (i guess?)

I feel I must start by saying I haven't read the rest of the thread very closely...so if I write down things that someone already has written, I'm sorry for that.

I just find it funny the way some people buys this game, and then starts to complain about not being part of the story. I really don't get it. It's like they want to be fed the story, and that some GM or ARK should drop down among them and feed it to them on a silver platter. To make them someone important in the storyline.

That's not the way it works though. It would sure be easy if it was. =)

The way I see it the storyline that FC is giving us, through their films, is just a backdrop. I don't think that by watching the movies and then complain about it on the forums is the way to get involved in the story.

So what do we have? Well for starters we have the backdrop FC has given us, we have a conflict, and we have things happening all around us. Now it's up to us players to create the rest of the story. Someone mentioned getting missions from GM's...that's a very good idea, but we can beat the GM's to it though. =)
    For instance. Let's say, for arguments sake, that Im playing a trader. I might then have an item that I want to get to a collegue in another part of Rubi-Ka. What do I do? Well I hire a fixer, to deliver it for me, and since to place is too far to grid to, he might need a few people with him as protection.

Granted I could have done all this myself, but imo it's more fun if I get someone to do it, a mission sort of, and then pay him for a job well done.

In conclusion I'd just like to say that we have a wonderful opportunity, we have a fresh world there for the making. We have the power to shape Rubi-Ka. If enough players tries to change something for the good of OUR story, not funcom's =), then funcom will listen. Im sure of that...although with all the things FC have to do this might not happen at once...but Im fairly certain that FC deems changes for the good of the story important enough to take into consideration.

Well...rather long post. I'll stop now.

These are my 2 creds =)

Marvin "Chins" Goliday md.
    lvl 37 Atrox Doc rk1

...and a bunch of others not really worth mentioning.

Right.

My challenge to any of you people who think the current IN GAME STORYLINE rocks, is for you to recite the IN GAME story so far. I only want you to tell me about events and happensings that are forming story elements inside the game.

An example of out of game story is "Ross and Radman are having peace talks. And some girl got in the middle of a fight in a bar, ran out and ran into someone she knew, then a car (that doesn't exist in the game) blew up. And scary doodz in cloaks and hoodz invade the end of the trailer. Also this dood that she meets in this trailer she met in the first one too, and he went for a ride in her car! Everyone knows that in real life people can't ride in other people's cars! How SILLY.

An example of IN GAME story is, Omni guards have stoped attacking clanners and offer them a chance to switch sides. Now clan guards are doing the same. There is a pile of rubble near the whompas in omni trade. There is a forcefield around it as well. No one there knows why it's there but people keep saying watch the video. I look around omni trade and ent for a news terminal or tv or something to watch the video, but it's not to be found. These MYSTARIEZ.

Also, some time ago some cyborgz (not really sure where these guys come from, are they omni mine workers or something?) attacked old athens. Attacked isn't really the right word, aparently their only objective was to die infront of the city to yeild up much exp for all those standing around to get it. It was the manna, I mean cyborg from heaven incident.

AND pumpkin heads and teddy bears and big grey dungeons and majick cloaks!

So that is my SEASON 1 Summary of the IN GAME STORY LINE.

Maybe someone else has a better story to tell. Tell me what you have seen IN GAME, and please don't reference videos that are out of your player's perspective, or readings that are in some POV other than your characters. IF you use these tools to influence your character's decisions than you are NOT A ROLE PLAYER. Because you are not assuming your characters POV, you are assuming the player's POV.
    Last edited by Nichola_Six; Dec 30th, 2001 at 18:12:47.

Events

In my opinion, events should be scattered throughout a wide variety of times and game sites. Some events should be chance events that appear out of the blue, while others should be scheduled events that use filters (level, expenditure of game credits, etc.) to limit the number of people to a reasonable number for the particular event.

This combination of approaches gives the most people possible an opportunity to participate, while maintaining the fun that comes from the occasional spontaneous event.

The bottom line is this. Every player needs an opportunity to participate in an occasional event if they are to feel part of the story. At the same time, too many cooks spoils the broth so find a good balance.

Lightbulb Story elements, and text in general

Hi

Im a new-commer to AO, and from what i can understand ive been lucky to start late, after the first couple of bigger hurdles, patches and so forth. And I must say that I'm really having fun!

Although... If I could have Funcom change on major thing tomorrow, it would defenitly be the ingame text in general. Now, the stories ive read here on your hp has been great and realistic, the ingame text in comparison, like mission stories and such, tend to shatter all suspension of disbelief! 90% of the mission briefings ive read so far have clearly not been written by the people behind the stories here on your hp...

An idea for stories...

I was pretty suprised to find so little reference and written story about the fact that people are, infact, immortal. It's fine that you've used that to explain ressurection in AO, but I don't think you've taken full advantage of the implications of immortality...

`

Immortality has been addressed, there simply is no true immortality. If you save we can say you are 20 years old or something. If you go out lvl, have fun, talk, anything, then save again, you are 20 years+that time. Your body will age, and that ressurection shock? thats just your soul being damaged in the rebuilding of a new body. After you are old enough, its illegal to isure again (or so said for story purpose). No one is infact immortal, and not everyone is insured and updated.
    -- Falling never killed anyone, its always the landing.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    RK-1
    |OT|
    Telgi-61 Solitus Enforcer
    Gauf-31 Nanomage Doctor
    Saruzi- -=128=- Opifex Nano-Technician.
    Manstien-44 Solitus Soldier

You nailed it on the Head and I think this is what Chin is missing.
    There really is no in game story. There is an Out of game story and that's swell but it needs to have Tie in s in game. That's what was to set this game apart from other games. How can I in game invistagate the Ruins at omni E? I can see them, and that's swell but there it ends. No Real Tie in.

And yes Chin there was promice of ingame story. If you played EQ or any other on line game (for better or worse) there are IN game plots twists and turns.

What kind of story line can we make? PVP? What is there to carve a story line with players is there? All I have heard about has been DC doing bad things .

PVP is the only real interaction. I am not a fan of PVP. I want something more that tab and q.

Just my 2 creds.
    -Koyote

Originally posted by ULTRA1
    Right.

My challenge to any of you people who think the current IN GAME STORYLINE rocks, is for you to recite the IN GAME story so far. I only want you to tell me about events and happensings that are forming story elements inside the game.

An example of out of game story is "Ross and Radman are having peace talks. And some girl got in the middle of a fight in a bar, ran out and ran into someone she knew, then a car (that doesn't exist in the game) blew up. And scary doodz in cloaks and hoodz invade the end of the trailer. Also this dood that she meets in this trailer she met in the first one too, and he went for a ride in her car! Everyone knows that in real life people can't ride in other people's cars! How SILLY.

An example of IN GAME story is, Omni guards have stoped attacking clanners and offer them a chance to switch sides. Now clan guards are doing the same. There is a pile of rubble near the whompas in omni trade. There is a forcefield around it as well. No one there knows why it's there but people keep saying watch the video. I look around omni trade and ent for a news terminal or tv or something to watch the video, but it's not to be found. These MYSTARIEZ.

Also, some time ago some cyborgz (not really sure where these guys come from, are they omni mine workers or something?) attacked old athens. Attacked isn't really the right word, aparently their only objective was to die infront of the city to yeild up much exp for all those standing around to get it. It was the manna, I mean cyborg from heaven incident.

AND pumpkin heads and teddy bears and big grey dungeons and majick cloaks!

So that is my SEASON 1 Summary of the IN GAME STORY LINE.

Maybe someone else has a better story to tell. Tell me what you have seen IN GAME, and please don't reference videos that are out of your player's perspective, or readings that are in some POV other than your characters. IF you use these tools to influence your character's decisions than you are NOT A ROLE PLAYER. Because you are not assuming your characters POV, you are assuming the player's POV.

Thumbs up Re: That too

Originally posted by Telgi
    In game message service sounds good. Bring 5 credits and pop out a newspaper to read, just like reading an instrcution book in-game. I mean, we've all seen those newspaper dispensers lying about in the real world? did 30,000 years finaly kill the newspaper?
    I like that idea alot. Let's not stop there. How about a TV chanel?
    Something in your apt (so as not to bog things down) With the latest news in video form.

-Koyote

Exclamation

Just waiting for official answer on following just asked questiones:

1.Will a moderate number of events take place at times when EUROPEANS are wake up?

2.Where are the Funcom organized events?
    And i dont talk of leet parades or parties or something like that, though it real fun!
    I mean story reliant events...

Give us some answers please!

Shinji

Arrow

"1.Will a moderate number of events take place at times when EUROPEANS are wake up? "

yes but i'm not and official answer. :P so you don't have to believe me lol. But they will.

Please check this thread.

Pelase keep comments polite and directed to the topic since I do feel very stongly that this Topic is important to all of us who live Roleplaying above the hack and slash

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...?threadid=5893

FD
    fsullivan@starband.net

Angry RK2

FC, I live on RK2. There is no story. Oh yeah, heh, except for that one event that crashed Newland within minutes, that had so little content that it was obviously player-created and -run. Boy that was fun. 1/3 of the RK2 population so desperate for any kind of content that our rushing to the action take the gameserver down. Perhaps if I had even a vague hint of the dynamic content that we as customers were promised, I wouldn't be powerleveling myself right out of the range of levels that you're even creating content for. When my character hits 200 (in a month or two), I'll move to a MMORPG that learned from other's mistakes, like you said you planned to do. There goes 3.5 years of profit. Instead of learning from others, it seems you create mistakes of your own - and don't learn from them either. Did I mention my client froze up hard once today (in window mode in win2k), and I was stuck in my plane for a few logoffs. And I spent a few minutes thinking about what I could do wit the IP I have in Tutoring that you deliberately broke.
    Unimpressed,
    Foxal 131 nano doc rk2

Wink I would love the ability to impact the suroundings

The story is good and leaves a lo of potencial however the people should be the focus. This game is all about players and the players have tried things that never really affect anything. I have participated in many raids and none of them have shown any real influence on the game orthe plot. This is one place that there could be some amout of improvement on. If there was a way for us to do something that was not just an infinite respawn and get some IC action that would change the world a bit. The potencial is there but is the option?
    -Thanks for your time
    > Twillite <

Unhappy Role playing is the goal of the game

I see very litle potential in the game for actual in character role playing. The in game events as mentioned above are usually sensless kill fests that have very litle plot realtion. Can we go and talk to Radiman or these other guys if we want. Could we hunt them down and assasinate them with enough effort? Is there anything we can do IC to change our world and role play while doing it?
    > Twillite <

stories and change

I think the movies are quite nice, the book is ok, and as to in game events i have not had a chance to get involved into any worldwracking happenings.
    On the otherhand a few things HAVE gotten me involved into the storyline, not as a "hero" of the story, but as someone living in a world where important things have happened.
    I think everyone who has an omni character had that kind of feeling when they walked to omni one east gates and found a big hole where an apartment building should have been. Even those who don't read the news (which i do).
    What i mean is that a very important tool to make us all feel we're living in a real, interesting, fast changing world, is to have that world change in ways that affect our everyday playing even outside events..
    So changes in geography out of distruction were a smart idea, and many other things can be done in that sense..
    For instance changing suppression gas levels (and guard attitudes towards people in opposite faction) with the evolving of the political situation. So if all out war ever breaks out, no one should be able to pretend nothing happened, with a lot of previously safe areas becoming PvP, and maybe small parties of NPC incursors frequently attacking 75% areas (this could be GM based, or even automated).
    Or changing which mobs haunt which area based on news events: not just a horde of mutants attacking this or that city in one specific moment, but maybe a new type of monster (or just a monster that was only to be found elsewhere) making an area more dangerous than it used to be because of some plot reason.. i don't know how much of this has already been done (being pretty new and newbie player) but i've heard something about pumpkins that makes me suspect i'm not the first one to think about this.
    Being able to take over outposts, with guards changing faction and all (as in envisioned or in progress list don't remember) would also add a lot to the sense of involvement in the world events.

keep up the good work,

feydrutha

feydrutha (lvl 20 NT)
    etchu (lvl 21 MP)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast