Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Story and Events

Terrorists have been blowing buildings up for years, but let it happen once in the good ole USA and all of the sudden everyone has to walk on eggshells?

So, you, all of the sudden are more important than the thousands of british people who lost family members in IRA bombings, or more important than the isreali's who live with the threat of suicide bombers every minute of every day? I like every other American was devasted by the events of 9-11, but we gotta grow a backbone here. This is a game fer cryin out loud.

You mean to tell me that before 9-11, you never noticed any acts of terrorism before? Oklahoma City ring a bell?

Sheesh man, you are letting them bastards win when you want everyone to pretend like these things dont happen. Wake up, look around, and see that this sort of thing is going on, all around the world, every day.

If you cant seperate the events from a game from the events from real life, then maybe you need to give these games a rest for a while and maybe seek some professional help.

Seriously man, in the game you slaughter hundreds of NPCs every day, but the rubble in Omni-Ent bothers you?
    Last edited by Tomasin; Dec 21st, 2001 at 17:12:41.

Originally posted by Torozeta

The fact that you are an european company and you dont take care of european people made us more and more angry day after day.

A tous les joueurs francophones. Faites-les bouger un peu, exprimez-vous en francais à la suite de ce message. Ils faut qu'ils comprennent qu'on existe et qu'il faut qu'ils se réveillent blah blah blah
    *sniff*

I'm from X and you don't speak X and if you don't start speaking X I'm going to leave!

If you want French text, French events, French ARKs, French players I have an idea...Buy a french game!

I don't rent French movies then piss and moan about..."they're speaking French! I don't speak French! Those bastards!"

is it too real?

as to the 9-11 bombing and the latest in game bombing I'd say keep with it.
    When creating a game we play god, but when creating a multiplayer game we are truely humbled at how hard playing god is.

if I play the Sims and wall in my families children into their room so they starve to death am I a bad person? Sick yes, but they are just electrons.

But yes AO is real people with real emotions. AO is also a storyline whos central focus is on WAR. I doubt anyone joined this game thinking otherwise.
    Top that off with a virtually lawless online society and we are troubled with the fact that anything can happen. When I read "Anarchy" on the box I figured anything could happen. When Funcom moderated this bulletin board I questioned that.

When I decided to join this game I was intrigued by 2 things.
    -1 the storyline where players got involved and things happened in the world.
    -2 the fight between individuals and a super corporation (and its relation to real world globalization issues)

I hope the story is touchy, and smart. And I hope the storyline really does change the world, and the people, both real and NPC. Because that would make AO something worth participating in. That would take the idea of what a computer game is and take it much further.

So I say "don't walk on eggshells. Talk Hard. Make something great."

If we can solve real problems in a virtual world, can we solve them in the real world?

Seth Moonracer,
    freelance journalist

Originally posted by Tomasin
    Terrorists have been blowing buildings up for years, but let it happen once in the good ole USA and all of the sudden everyone has to walk on eggshells?

So, you, all of the sudden are more important than the thousands of british people who lost family members in IRA bomings, or more important than the isreali's who live with the threat of suicide bombers every minute of every day? I like every other American was devasted by the events of 9-11, but we gotta grow a backbone here. This is a game fer cryin out loud.

You mean to tell me that before 9-11, you never noticed any acts of terrorism before? Oklahoma City ring a bell?

Sheesh man, you are letting them bastards win when you want everyone to pretend like these things dont happen. Wake up, look around, and see that this sort of thing is going on, all around the world, every day.

If you cant seperate the events from a game from the events from real life, then maybe you need to give these games a rest for a while and maybe seek some professional help.

Seriously man, in the game you slaughter hundreds of NPCs every day, but the rubble in Omni-Ent bothers you?
    Agreed. I used to live in England. One night when I was about 8-9 there was a low rumble and my windows shook. I thought nothing of it. When I went to school the next day on the bus I noticed something...the train station was gone. Terrorism isn't a new problem, it isn't an american problem and it isn't something we should be delicate about. It's a reality and, in this case, a plot twist. Noone said a word when Arlington road came out...or The Devil's own...they were just movies right? Movies about terrorists. So now because it actually happened to us...god forbid anyone should mention it. I live in Dallas, Texas currently, I consider myself an american and I WILL NOT change ANYTHING because of some act of terrorism. Niether should you.

Shen out.

Je soutiens les joueurs francophones déçus de la storyline.
    Pour ma part AO est mon premier MMORPG et si il y a plus intérressant j'irais surement voir ailleur.

Thumbs up Attn: Cosmik-Positive feedback & suggestions

Cosmik-

After reading this thread I will say (at the risk of being flamed) that I am totally disappointed with a good many individual's response to the storyline thus far.

I am probably a bit older than the average player in AO at 34. If anyone out there is close, then they would be able to testify as to just how far gaming(and obviously computing) has come since the late 70's when my parents bought me the first Pong game.
    It weighed about 10 pounds & had 2 round knobs on each side of a 12"x12" panel & an on/off switch. I won't describe the graphics because there WERE none to speak of.

So here we are in the midst of I believe the most beautifully crafted game produced to date, a story rivaling many theatrical releases, top notch animated sequences and to top it all, a thoroughly engrossing novel....and STILL....I'll repeat...STILL there is this semi-large facton of whining brats (whose complaints are mostly self-serving and seldom legitimate) who can't even agknowledge the wonderful job that FunCom has done to make this world called Rubi-Ka a richer, more fulfilling one than any game ever released.

Suggestions?....Cosmik---Tell personnel relevant to this discussion that they are doing a BRILLIANT job and they should be proud of what they have achieved to date. PLEASE don't let a whining minority influence a decision to stop production on the animated & novel series. The game is also improving with each patch..well...except the Yalmaha thing, but thats for another thread...another day....hehehee...

Talking Alternate Language Ideas

I've also been watching the French piss & moan (What else is new) about the lack of alternative language formats.

I agree to a point. Some people have no interest in communicating with people other than their own kind.

Myself, I speak Russian,German and Spanish because Europe & Asia have so many beautiful countries & I wanted to learn more about the people who lived there. Speaking in other tongues has only enriched my life, not inconvenienced it. And what wonderful people I have met along the way!

Lay off the French...If YOUR language was heading towards the same fate as Latin, you'd be upset too!..

Post Good Job

I enjoy the movies greatly and hope they will continue, the story in general is very interesting but I feel that a lot of players feel left out.

As timed events occur when they are not online or do not have any capacity to contribute to it.

I stated an idea in a forum previously to help improve the player interactivity on many levels in story line events.

First off, people love big wars and epic battles, and most of all...the unexpected. (The explosion in Omni Ent was a nice touch)

You can have enemies (cyborgs for instance) ranging from level 30 - 50 take over a city, give the the players 2 weeks to kill a set amount in order to reclaim the town and rid it of cyborgs. If they should fail and not defeat enough cyborgs...have the cyborgs reinforce their guard and now the 30 - 50 range is bumped up to 50 - 80 level borgs.

To avoid high level players from slaughtering all the low level borgs, make the tally of defeated borgs only increase if a player receives xp from the kill.

------

Re: Alternate Language Ideas

Originally posted by Phikia

Lay off the French...If YOUR language was heading towards the same fate as Latin, you'd be upset too!..
    No, I'd move :P

Post Good thoughts

I like the 30-50, 50-80, tally only if xp is gained thing. That sounds like a good idea. Every day the city isn't retaken I dunno, plow down a building or two? Just a thought.

Below! The mighty stack of rants!

About the story, well. If you had to go to work for 8hrs in 1 day, how long does it take to settle in? By the end of your shift you fly along (or I least do). AO has passed its first 6months (1hr). If AO is like anything how I work, its gonna get real good. Bear with Funcom as they try to gain perspective and gain a solid idea of what they are doing. When I first heard of this game it didn't sound to great, and when I started playing I knew It'd be really interesting. I love war, I play war games, I study war on spare time. Now I'm playing a RPG, but invovles the polotics of war. I can't wait till I'm high enough of a lvl to join the final attack squad to overthrow the Clanner Capitol - Tir. You can mkae the events happen, but think of it as getting a new friend, you can't walk up and say "Hi! I'm your friend wetheter you like it or not." It takes time and effort, same as with the story line. People who complain about AO don't realize they could just send an e-mail to the company, it has the same chance of changing things that way as it does on the board, except I won't have to hear it. About the weak Americans, yes they are weak. I'm an American, and I'd like to say I'm proud of it. On 9-11 when I saw the two towers burning, I felt anxious and said to my friends, "This is somehow exciting." Everyone stared at me like it wasn't (Some people don't understand exciting isn't always a good excitment). My Mom was scared for weeks and I couldn't believe the people. ALSO, how many service men did we lose in Afganistan? I think a few died in a prison riot, and we killed most with our own fire but hey its war. I'd wish I was European sometimes, and less Americans were wusses. "Wah death is bad! Let's sing Peace & Love and pretend we're playing AO and ***** about everything we can find," says the American.

"A single death is a tradgey, A million deaths are statisics."
    -Joesph Stalin

I don't apologize if I offened anyone, though if you are: GROW UP!

I LOVED the book. I read it all in one night.

That being said, I hate the animated series. The voice-acting sucks, and I'm still not clear on how we can know all this stuff... It's hard to role-play being aloof to the whole cloning thing when we already have seen that Omni can and will clone people.

Also, the entire story just seems to be a clusterfrick of different garbage. The only thing that makes sense is the amnesty. I mean, a bunch of other stuff has happened, but there's just no connection - no over-riding theme. We had cyborgs, then a building gets blown up, and now clones. If this was a TV show, you'd have been cancelled by now for being just plain confusing.

But, hell, I'm still having fun. But I'd be having WAY more fun if I wasn't so confused....

Oh, and there NEEDS to be some kind of in-game news service. Would it be that hard to just plop down one terminal per city that just shows what's on the webpage or something? I'm not a programmer, but it can't be too hard to just link up the databases and at least just show the text, right? I hate having to go to the web to get my in-game news. It just ruins the fun. I can't feel immersed in a game when I have to EXIT the game to get the latest news.

Post That too

In game message service sounds good. Bring 5 credits and pop out a newspaper to read, just like reading an instrcution book in-game. I mean, we've all seen those newspaper dispensers lying about in the real world? did 30,000 years finaly kill the newspaper?
    -- Falling never killed anyone, its always the landing.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    RK-1
    |OT|
    Telgi-61 Solitus Enforcer
    Gauf-31 Nanomage Doctor
    Saruzi- -=128=- Opifex Nano-Technician.
    Manstien-44 Solitus Soldier

I think you guys are focusing too much energy on the story. I watched the last set of videos and the first, but didn't bother with the middle ones. To be honest I really didn't like the animation. Also I havent' read the PDFs, I've been waiting for the story to develop in the game and I haven't seen any of that. There is "the voice of freedom" but I have never seen it used. I'm sure omni have the same thing. The last event i saw was the cyborgs attacking old athens. Of course it was a lag fest. My suggestions for events are:

-Make a lot more of them - then people will see them
    -Make them much shorter - then fewer will participate in each one and they willl be more playable
    -Balance them for smaller groups

Now, find a way to incorporate the STORY into the GAME. Watching the videos has the wrong POV for the players, same with reading the PDFs and that's why I don't do either. I have no idea where my CHARACTER gets this POV. Do these people carry around a daily life cam implant and then give the footage to an EXTRA like news production to cut and past their lives together for the citizens of rubi-ka's entertainment?

POV!

POV!

Show us the story from OUR POV not some people we have never met and will likely NEVER meet. I don't want their POV. To me the story isn't their lives, I don't know them and I don't care about them. The story is our lives. So focus the story in the GAME, and lose the PDFs and the movies.

Now, above all that, get done fixing all the broken stuff. Things are slowly getting better, but can't you do a fast fix for all classes the way you fixed the meta class? I mean a lot of us have seen the rate at which you guys get things done, and GLACIAL is about the right word to describe your progress. Crats and Neers have something to look forward to but other classes are still thinking any changes well see will be 3+ months out.

Maybe you could drop the story for a few months and focus your assets on fixing and balancing the game. Then taking a break from that and getting into playing the game for a bit in a stable environment. Some of your ideas for fixing over-equiping and balancing mobs to those changes were good ideas. Why not get cracking on that stuff now.

And BTW, great job on the stores! You don't know how aggrivating it was to find nano clusters before, ESP @ high levels, now it is MUCH BETTER. THANK YOU.

Took you long enough.

Angry Hrm

Originally posted by Shen

*sniff*

I'm from X and you don't speak X and if you don't start speaking X I'm going to leave!

If you want French text, French events, French ARKs, French players I have an idea...Buy a french game!

I don't rent French movies then piss and moan about..."they're speaking French! I don't speak French! Those bastards!"
    maybe if you lived in europe you would understand.
    your monolingual mind narrows your perspective, which
    is just a shame.

Re: Attn: Cosmik-Positive feedback & suggestions

Originally posted by Phikia
    Cosmik-
    I am probably a bit older than the average player in AO at 34. If anyone out there is close, then they would be able to testify as to just how far gaming(and obviously computing) has come since the late 70's when my parents bought me the first Pong game.
    It weighed about 10 pounds & had 2 round knobs on each side of a 12"x12" panel & an on/off switch. I won't describe the graphics because there WERE none to speak of.

So here we are in the midst of I believe the most beautifully crafted game produced to date, a story rivaling many theatrical releases, top notch animated sequences and to top it all, a thoroughly engrossing novel....and STILL....I'll repeat...STILL there is this semi-large facton of whining brats (whose complaints are mostly self-serving and seldom legitimate) who can't even agknowledge the wonderful job that FunCom has done to make this world called Rubi-Ka a richer, more fulfilling one than any game ever released.
    I am not 34 years old, and I wont say how old I am since I don't want to make people believe that being older is necessarily wiser. It's not a logical cause and effect thing. But I've been around alot longer before "Pong" and I just have to say that the storyline is absolutely horrid. The timing is absolutely off in regards to events, and the episodes are the only things that had me going for awhile.

But the latest event which has come by, I mean that was just really crap. "Can you do better?" Well no. I can't. But saying, "Can you do better?" is not the thing to say when your a professional software producing company with supposed talented developers. I mean really, I've seen flash animation with stick art that had better storyline than this.

If you were to take the script and ask a Professor of English who specializes in fiction to evaluate it, they would tell you off the bat, that the piece of work is simply not graduate or college level.

I know what I say might sound harsh, but you asked for what I thought and this is what I think. It's really hard to get into the game when days and days pass by in game, and nothing happens. It messes up the flow of the storyline and makes one wonder if radiman and ross have some sort of secret love affair going on.

Now last part of the quote goes something like, semi large majority of whining brats. First of all, the vast majority of people who are whining are not tainted with the experience of playing a dumb game like pong. Considering how you've been playing pong in the 70's (actually it came out long before the 70s where have you been? America?) anything else remotely interesting could top pong. Even watching the sun I imagine. So it leaves your input kinda in question.

Now what the game really needs ? It needs a better storyline. It needs to make players feel they are involved. Else its just hack and slash and I am starting to feel that is all there is.
    "No there isnt!" you might say..

Well what do you do? Talk with friends in-game. Sell stuff. Buy stuff. Kill stuff. Walk around. Kill more. Pretend things are happening that really arent. That's not an "immersive storyline" that's hack and slash with someone saying talking about something. I know it's not possible to include 40000 people into the storyline. (is there really 40k like they say? I think theres alot less) I mean you cant include every level 1 newbie. It would just be sad.

But that's not my job to figure out what to do. That's funcom's job. And if they can't find a way to satisfy the urge they created in players when the very first time they advertised AO, then they are going to turn out to disappoint alot of ppl.

I just want?

I just want to see more events! This is supposed to be a war, Omni vs Clan with the Neutrals being the supposed in between. But I see no fighting!

There is no PVP within the story line. I would have to say you need a GM one in Omni and one in Clan both pre scripted and the Clan guy can go to TIR and gather a bunch of people who want to PVP and raid and Omni town or vise versa. the Omni GM can gather a bunch also and prepare for battle.

Atleaser that way it is somewhat of a suprise and a good change of plans for those who would like the chance to PVP and have an equal chance th defeating the enemy.

The first to all be killed or retreat wins and the events can unfold on the AO web site. But AO needs to write a couple scripts and plan on playing with a couple GM's

If you need a clarification please /tell Ironice or reply to post. It is Christmas morning and I am tired!
    Ok so why?????How so??? Or maybe what? Stay tuned!

More missions!

I like the story movies and posts on the community site. Smaller clans/individuals should be mentioned in the posts, rather than the same old large group of clans, I sure I don't need to mention which ones

In-game events... I could say "what events?", but I know thats not true. You need to lay on many more in-game events, especially in different time zones than the US. I'm sure people on Rubi Ka dim 2 feel left out in this area as well.

Events should allow for less die-hard people to be involved as well. Again, I don't need to mention names

Ten times more events for the new year please
    edict
    Clan Archdeacon

"Nothing worth while is ever easy"

Funcom is selling its game in France, in Deutschland and other countries. We have bought it the same way you have bought it. Funcom earn money with us. We are the same customers as you. You dont have to make any effort to understand the movies and the storyline, we want the same thing because our money go in the same Funcom pocket as your money. Funcom had released a french site about AO (http://www.anarchyfrance.com/) to better sell its game in France. Funcom makes an effort of translation just to attract more customer, no translation elsewhere.

About the 'BIG' work that funcom has made with its game, I can tell you that Ultima Online is much more immersive than AO. It is far less beautiful but a lot more complex. I am a pure RP gamer, I still wait the tools and elements which can let us really RP in AO.

- a real war between clan and OT or whatever you want
    - a real interaction between events and players. We are not here to just watching Funcom playing with its toy.
    - a real housing system
    - working guild commands with a real impact on members
    - being able to buy mass transport to carry troops somewhere
    - being able to write orders on paper or whatever you want and give it to one or more person.
    - I stop here because all those things have been said a long time ago.

For now, I consider there is a storyline has interesting as the storyline of EQ (very bad reference for me). Funcom had made a beautiful game, now we want a interesting game, not a wide and bad First Person Shooter. AO should be a Role Playing Game not a Quite Playing Game.

Funcom should play a little with UO to understand what RP means.

rk2

i'm on rk2 what storyline and events are you talking about?

never seen any.

To Shin......

Sorry man, i had a good opinion to american's people before your reply..... It s dismaying.....Really... It s a shame.....What is this argument "buy a French game"..... I know american have a sweet tendency to protectionism and imperialism but like that no...
    May be you think, like others, all foreigner productions are hopeless..... French with french americans with americans.....Poor boys.
    If french people like german s, italian s or swedish s are not very enjoyed at this time it s really because FUNCOM don t make any effort for european people... I think is not a good strategy, because if you don t have see it, many players come to european country, but with your point of view, i ll not surpised if you play only with american people..... DON T MELT US......You re pathetic
    I don t know why i loose my time with you and your narrow mind

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast