Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Armor needs to be capped!

Armor needs to be capped!

Hello,

I quit back in July do to the game not being where I was hoping for it to be. Just recently I have returned to the game to find it is doing very well. I like how they halved PvP dmg to make the battles more interesting than the 1st person who gets a critical shot wins.

But there is still a few issues that should be addressed. The gap in PvP between people is HUGE. As of now the winner is always who has the better gear. Gear > Skill.

So how can this be fixed? The way I see it is they need to put a cap on the QL of the gear you can wear. Lets face it, unless you where armor double your level and a gun 100 QL's over your lvl you will not beat anyone who has a PvP title.

The average player stands no chance in PvP because usually these ppl do not have the funds to buy such gear. So PvP is becoming about ppl's rerolls they have "twinked".

Hopefully they will address this because it is a problem. There is just about 0 skill involved in PvP at the moment. They should cap your armor by your Level + (1/4 or 1/2) of your lvl. So an example a Level 50 player could wear QL75 or lower armor.

What would this do? It would make PvP more viable for everyone and still not have PvP all about a players lvl because you still would be able to over equip to an extent.

Part of skill is aquiring and using gear.

just my 2 creds.

You dont get the gear, you lose ... end of story.

In the future gear WILL be everything as it will be better than our weak bodies.
    I am Dnastyone Official Broom pusher for The Professionals
    Painmage my newest funnest guy
    PHEAR ME RK1 Yazule IMMMM BACK

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

LOL getting the gear and getting it on is 99% of the SKILL in the game. Now why would you want to go and get rid of that last bastion of skill.

Skill != equipment

Getting equipment is not skill, fighting and winning is skill. Yes some may say that fighting depends on equipment, but not if you are good, ie. knowing when to cast certain nanos, when to run, when to attack etc. Having your friends cast nanos on you so you can equip the ql 188 gun is not skill.

~MUGGINNS.~

LOL choosing the rigth nano to cast is about as complicated as a game of checkers.

You have to do a little math to get your gear on, not saying its a game of chess or anything, but SKILL isn't a very good choice of words for anything in AO. AO isn't a skill game, its a stat game.

While super equipped people may be a nuisance, it is hardly the main problem.

I believe the main problem lies with the whole PvP scenario that is happening now. There is supposed to be a war going on, not a damn mobile arena in every PvP zone.

Go to a lot of PvP zones and you see people sitting on the side lines (75%) asking people who are green to them for duels. Sure when it is a one on one situation every time, there is not much skill involved in this case.

However up the scale to 5 vs 5, 10 vs 10, and so on then things tactics, skills and equipment come into play. While the current system of safe zones in PvP areas is horrible and badly implemented, the players all still have the opportunity to jump right in and start fighting with nothing to lose...do they? Hell no!

A few times I've went to MMD, and suggested everyone group up, run to the back and handle your business...of course everyone becomes silent...maybe a cheer or two, but people would rather just own people one on one and complain about it when they lose I guess.

ya you need to go to 2ho. If you are lower level and clan stay by the grid terminal so you don't agg any guards. Omnis like to stay near the guards so they can use them as support, but if you hang by the helepad or the grid terminal, you can get plenty of action there, and the only 75% gas is in a few stores near the whompa.

MMD is basically an arena but a bit more dynamic since people will gang up on eachother.

2ho is fun, and I'll concede that there is a bit more tactics involved when 3 or 4 combatants on either side clash.

At lvl 81 I got Ql 130 tank armour on.
    A big task, took about 2 hours to finnaly get ALL the right stiff.
    I have the rest from some Lame ql 75 gloves to a ql 152 chest peice.

And you know what? I made not one fu**ing difference in PVP
    I still get hurt alot, so people.save your money.....hit lvl em...140 ...150 and wear 200 armour and never buy it again, (joke)

Question Oh my GAWD!

YHGTBFKMR???

Originally posted by ULTRA1
    LOL getting the gear and getting it on is 99% of the SKILL in the game. Now why would you want to go and get rid of that last bastion of skill.
    Well I can see how someone might find it skillful to run from store to store to store to store to store, looking for the correct item at the right QL, and then run around finding traders and docs to put it on you, then getting in the grid....dropping into MMD, ganking a few noobs, and then going back to the store, to camp the eternal beast. WEEEEE! Fun-fun-fun! Might I refer back to YHGTBFKMR?

Thanks for the laugh!
    Feeti

Re: Skill != equipment

Originally posted by Mugginns
    Getting equipment is not skill, fighting and winning is skill. Yes some may say that fighting depends on equipment, but not if you are good, ie. knowing when to cast certain nanos, when to run, when to attack etc. Having your friends cast nanos on you so you can equip the ql 188 gun is not skill.

~MUGGINNS.~
    "fighting and winning is skill" hmm

It is commonly accepted that he who has the best gear wins fights. ( assuming both are compitent )

SOOO

gear = wins = skill

simple enough for you?
    I am Dnastyone Official Broom pusher for The Professionals
    Painmage my newest funnest guy
    PHEAR ME RK1 Yazule IMMMM BACK

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

hmm

hmm, since today is "Lets make broad generalizations" day, it is generally accepted that fighting takes more than equipment, and that some people do really fight using their brains instead of using the buttons 1, 2, and 3.

So therefore fighting needs skill.

Simple enough for you?

~MUGGINNS.~

Gear isn't EVERYTHING. I remember this lvl 30 soldier on rk2 who had a battlesuit and some uber novaflow. No one could kill him except my MA, thats right, MA. The reason I could kill him easily was that my minimum damage was a crapload higher than everyone elses. Also, BoP does about 200 damage. Couple in a 650 dimach and he's dead in 10 seconds (before 13.0).

Red face Hehe....

Why do all ppl screeeeeeeem for nerfs of some kind when some prof, gear, wpn seems so uber....
    Why don't we try think positive and figure out how to balance thing the other way....what do xxxxx profession neen to get balanced again, what can be done to compensate for xxxxx....

FC to often seems to take the easy way out of "balance" isues, by berfing...and with 2 many nerfs ppl start leaving this game, is that what "whiners" are looking for?

Muggins would you please give me an example of this elusive skill you speak of?

I haven't seen it anywhere. Can you recite one of your skillful shenanigans?

I want to see how your PVP is different from mine, I usually hit q or sometimes just 1. Then i hit 2 and 3 and sometimes 4. On rare occasions I run aound a bit if I need too, and hit 0, or 9 if i get debuffed. Then I hit 1 a few more times. And then it's over.

Could tell me how your experiences vastly differ?

you know what really needs to be changed? its the whole pvp thing in general.
    it is so so so pointless. whatever story there is needs to be started. outposts need to be taken over and controlled. i know this is slated to be implemented but it needs to happen soon.

forget armor really. if you can't deal with putting on the best ac you can...um don't complain, there you go all there is to it. sure it is an endeavor sometimes to get the next good nano or next good armor but that doesn't mean that the people who try should be what? nerfed because you are lazy and can't be f'd to just equip yourself well?

the most fun i have had in pvp was in huge groups in 4 holes and it has happened like twice. that is really what makes pvp fun. look at daoc for why pvp is fun. i like pvp as much as anyone but its fun when it is NOT pointless and for individual glory.

I believe some classes like doc, nt and crat actually require skills (at least some). Im a 55 crat, current pvp title is rookie. Got my freshman at lvl 8 with a q15 gun, and rookie at 55. Im no where close to overequipping, Im using a QL 83 vektor (the 80% cap wont affect me after i casted expertise), average QL 70 armor, a QL 64 coat and a lvl 69 pet. Ive invested too many points in all the cool crat stuff ie mind control and such, leaving myself very little defense in pvp. I crit for 1k against mob, 500 in pvp.

I do constantly beat up so called overpowered MPs, and I could also take up to 4 ppl of my lvl in a raid. This is how I do it, root and snare everything on sight, try to debuff healer/NT (only -20 debuff but it helps sometimes). If they break root, its gonna take a while for melee fighter to reach me with -900 speed debuff, I can always root again anyway. Then Pet and I attack the same target, usually range target first, pet is kinda stupid, it will auto turn agro on others sometimes, so I have to keep clicking on macro every few seconds. *Hint: I also have a bar of backup spells in case I got debuffed, its always helpful.

However I just cant do anything against overequipping agent or trader, lvl 50 with ql 150 wep ??, often 3-4 shots kill. I cant even last 10 seconds. I would love to see all these ppl crying after funcom implements the nerf patch.

Famous Quotes from big dumb atrox hammer-wielding Enforcers:
    "I will fight you, but without pet"
    "I will fight you, but without root"

I've seen Wenzell in 2ho, he's a very good player, and an example of how any class can dominate any other if built smart. Wenzell is the "pvp crat" everyone says doesn't exist. You've seen me to as Errinyes.

I agree with Esmee, if you can do it and you don't it's your problem. The counter argument is basically unacceptable. You are saying because you lack the drive or interest to fully develop your character others should be forced to play at your level of interest.

Another point I agree with Esmee on is get the story started already. I know the first "season" is officially over and the second "season" isn't starting till June, also capturing outposts is slated for the distant future as well, about 6 months out.

I haven't been on for about 5 days now, and to be honest, I don't feel like getting on. I think I'm going to take a 6 month sabbatical, like the story, and come back when the story comes back =]. That way I can save myself 72 odd dollars while Funcom invests some time in stabalizing the game rules, fixing bugs and getting the story started.

Unhappy hmmm

Ultra, you must be one of the "Dueling" soldiers, the kind that really doesn't know pvp.

Aright, let us spell it out for you:

Fighting more than 1 person at a time takes tactics. Fighting 1 person at a time takes tactics, especially if you are a fixer. We cannot simply walk up to someone and blast their face in. We must find them when they are weak, find them when they do not know we are there, etc.

I enjoyed fighting more than 1 person at a time in Holes in the Wall- I once defeated 3 people over the course of 15 minutes, all while they were looking for me. That takes skill, not button pressing. You have to learn when to fight or flee.

When you are fighting, say, 3 people, you can use tactics to your advantage. If you run for long enough, 2 of the people might get lost or stop. Then you can prey on the 3rd.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. If you really need it I can write more so you can learn how to pvp well.

~MUGGINNS.~

LOL @ muggins

I've pvp'd with every class in the game. Oh my, fixer tactics, cast hots, root, run to max range, shoot, root, run to max range, shoot. Big deal, how do your tactics vary from one battle to another, from one class to another? They don't. They are always the same.

Don't try to guess another player's abilities or knowledge from ignorance, it makes you look stupid. The tactics in this game, even if you are a crat or trader, a class that actually has a number of options on how to conduct combat and face other classes, is still no more complicated than tic tac toe.

Maybe these binary and rudimentary tactics suit you muggins, but I've played far more intense PVP games, that require far more intelligence and strategy than PVP in this game does.

I stand by my statement, the most thoughtful thing about PVP is planning your gear.

Yeah well pvp doesn't require much skill. Depends on your prof really but the diffrences aren't that big.

The over equipping is still a problem. It's not too bad untill a under L40 agent owns you by doing 250-400 non critical shots.
    -War is not about who is right, it is about who is left.

- L92 MP
    - L7 Enf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast