Thread: Freelance: Protest in Newland

Independent Reporters of Rubi-Ka Editor: IRRK's Avatar

Freelance: Protest in Newland

Protest in Newland
    February 06, 29480 - Alossa, Newland News [Rimor]

IRRK Freelance - Newland City, Newland - Newland is a quiet, peaceful city most of the time. We have had our share of turbulence, true. The bartender job must be one of the most hazardous on Rubi-Ka, just as the Militia members'. This time, however the city witnessed something unusual. A citizens' protest.

A group of Newland citizens gathered in front of Neuters 'R Us bar, near the Bronto Burger stand. There were about 15 people all together; tailors, bartenders, merchants, doctors, all gathered in one common purpose. They wanted their voice to be heard. They wanted to bring the authorities' attention to the grid terminal, which, in their opinion was malfunctioning.

The glitches were of a peculiar nature: things disappeared in the grid, people landed in wrong places, even communications inside seemed to be jammed. Other complaints included hearing strange voices and even being chased by a wolf. Some people landed in Tir. The consequences for neutral citizens can be quite gruesome there. One girl, named Othilde, described the experience: "I ended up at the Sentinels and got blown away so hard, I saw my guts flying around!"

The crowd was approached by Trixie "Tryqz" Rhaiyne, the Newland council Science minister. She promised the matter would be looked into by the council. She also asked that such issues be brought to the authorities as the council is always ready to listen to the people's problems and complaints. The minister's words seemed to calm the citizens and the crowd slowly dissipated.

Funny, Neutrals decided they don't want Omni guards and all of the sudden Newland grid start to malfunction?
    "War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
    -The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

[Kintaii]: Dude, I *am* weird
    [Kintaii]: I came to accept this many years ago and am much happier for it. XD
    [Kintaii]: Besides - I work on *AO*. That right there is proof of my oddness.

Quote Originally Posted by Trgeorge
    Funny, Neutrals decided they don't want Omni guards and all of the sudden Newland grid start to malfunction?
    How the hell it is linked ?

Anyway, don't forget that several nanoprograms and heavy armors create glitches inside the grid. Don't come crying if you go inside polymorphed or if you suddenly hear your demotivational speech. Inform yourself about the do and don't with the grid system.

Where I'm more concerned is how the aliens have used the terminal as a teleport beacon. Hopefully it's outside the town, but I have seen this in Omni 1 too.
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

[QUOTE=Trgeorge]Funny, Neutrals decided they don't want Omni guards .............[QUOTE]

The current guards arent Omni you know... Mr.Ross helped the Neutrals fund the costs of obtaining them in the past from his personal little treasure chest.
    I would suspect some Neutrals will jump in and explain in detail.
    Proud agent of the Disciples of Omni-Tek

Commissioner of the RKDC

"One should not lose one's temper unless one is certain of getting more and more angry to the end."
    William Butler Yeats

I dont think this was part of OT's plan to get their guards in OUR city before the council party.

but if you want to think that way I dont really care there are gonna be quite a few people (Omni-Tek employees and neutrals) that are gonna rip you apart for what your saying.

I personally dont care about your funny conspiracy theories I just work for clients I dont make a living exposing somebody's activities as for these problems in the grid well.... there is always an explanation for such troubles and its not always gonna be what you expect it to be so quit throwing your conspiracy theories around.

personally I think its just some common trouble with the grid (all of us have had trouble with the grid to some certain extent) I am not surprised there was a protest about it.

heh oh well you can say what you want conspiracy theory or regular theory or otherwise personally I dont care these problems havent bothered me much cause I dont travel the grid very often.

Boltgun, OT runs grid machinery

Naefen, I'm aware of current neutrality of guards in Newland. But I seem to recall reading about some recent OT employees action, aimed to bring Omni guards into Newland.
    "War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
    -The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

[Kintaii]: Dude, I *am* weird
    [Kintaii]: I came to accept this many years ago and am much happier for it. XD
    [Kintaii]: Besides - I work on *AO*. That right there is proof of my oddness.

But I seem to recall reading about some recent OT employees action, aimed to bring Omni guards into Newland.

There seems to be a lot of ongoing misconceptions about this.

Omni-Tek was concerned about a possible terrorist attack intended to disrupt the introduction of the Newland city council, especially from an advanced terrorist group such as the Dust Brigade or the Legionaries. Newland is a small city and lacks the resources to deal with these dangerous organizations on their own, whereas Omni-Tek has some of the most developed counterterrorist forces in this sector of the galaxy.

Omni-Tek offered to provide additional security at the event, both to ensure the safety of the Newland government as well as to apprehend or terminate the terrorist element. Newland declined this offer, as this was a political event and they did not want to appear beholden to Omni-Tek. While Omni-Tek would still have been well within its rights to deploy a counterterrorist force, we respected the wishes of the Newland government and declined to do so.

Personally, I believe it is unfortunate that Newland refused the assistance of Omni-Tek. Apprehending terrorists and criminals is far more important than putting on airs of pure independant neutrality, especially when the point of doing so is to appease the Clans and their sympathizers. Fortunately, no major incident occured, but if there had been an attack by the Legionaries and Omni-Tek was there to apprehend them, the infamous child kidnapping incident would never have occured.
    Administrator Jacob Stroud
    Omni-Tek Department Affiliate Program - Administrative Representative, Rimor

Omni-Administrative Services Special Operations Subdepartment K-62
    Commissioner, RKDC

Although Omni-Tek’s concern is understandable, it is right of the Newland Council to turn down any offer of support.
    We neutrals not only have the obligation of impartiality and non-participation, our policy of neutrality should also concern all measures we decide to adopt of our own free will to ensure the credibility and effectiveness of our neutrality.
    Even if we would not be able to deal with a threat today (although I doubt there’s much we can’t take care of) we will learn to do so in the future.
    Marcos "Yarko" Orender
    co-Minister of Foreign Affairs, Newland City Council
    Advisor of The Independent Rubikans

Rubi-Ka's neutral news source: The Independent Rubikan http://www.ir-news.org/

[Have you noticed, by the way, that they've started marking Global, Rimor and Atlantean?]
    [Vicinity] Hilfy: Expecting?
    [Vicinity] Redtricks: Pregnant? No.

(( Yeah. It would be easier if they'd mark it in the title though, like the orgs in the recruitment thread have their alignment in the title as well. ))
    Kaylee "Sary" Lykin - Fixer
    "Syree" - Shade
    Member of The Mockers

Actually I doubt its anything major, its happened before. The NL grid has always been a bit fritzy. Heck, it used to regulary dump people at random locations in the desert. I myself can remember being thrown out in the middle of the desert at over 1000ft without a Yalmaha...not a very funny experience. It happens, we're Neutrals...things tend to brake as we ain't got the funding to fix things. We just need some more duct tape for it is all

*wonders if theres any engineering companies around with a readily available supply of tape*
    Last edited by Nyadach; Feb 27th, 2006 at 13:34:09.
    Major "Nyadach" Prabel
    Neutral and proud of it!

Funny, Neutrals decide to go visit Tir and get blown to pieces by Clan guards.

Do you get my point?
    "On the frontlines, there is but one commandment...
    Thou Shalt Kill."

"As i stride knee deep through the dead, all is clear. I know what must be done...
    My cause is just...My will is strong...
    ...And my gun is very, very large!"
    The words of a true soldier.

Quote Originally Posted by Sary
    (( Yeah. It would be easier if they'd mark it in the title though, like the orgs in the recruitment thread have their alignment in the title as well. ))
    ((I second that, but at the same time we should be thankful this was finally done at all ))
    Proud agent of the Disciples of Omni-Tek

Commissioner of the RKDC

"One should not lose one's temper unless one is certain of getting more and more angry to the end."
    William Butler Yeats