Thread: Freelance: RUR Robot goes haywire, owner files suit against company

Independent Reporters of Rubi-Ka Editor: IRRK's Avatar

Freelance: RUR Robot goes haywire, owner files suit against company

RUR Robot goes haywire, owner files suit against company
    January 29, 29480 - Noticiero Rivera (IRRK Freelance)

IRRK Freelance - A week ago a DLK-2000 Vacuum Cleaner Robot from the well-known robotics company 'RUR' being used by Mr. Nemoli went out of control in his home, practically destroying his apartment and breaking his left arm.

He managed to run out of his home in Newland and call on the Militia guards to put an end to the robot before it came out into the streets to potentially harm others.

The official report states that as soon as they entered the apartment the malfunctioning robot dashed toward them, forcing the guards to open fire in self-defense. They then removed the remains of the robot and sealed it into a secure bank as evidence. Mr. Nemoli was rushed to the Newland medical facility nearby and doctors managed to repair his left arm and heal his bruises. He was released three hours after being admitted.

Upon returning to what remained of his apartment, Mr. Nemoli took images of the damage; then got a copy of the guards and doctors reports, taking it all to the ICC Headquarters in Andromeda to file suit against RUR.

Yesterday afternoon, RUR received a subpoena to appear in court February 15th to face the plaintiff. RUR has declined to comment on the lawsuit at the time of this report.

This is Reporter 'Noticiero' Rivera, and this has been 'A Rubi-Ka Exclusive'!

This is why I use brooms.

The robots are uprising! We may have to take more drastic measures to see that the robot rebellion doesn't get out of hand!
    Amosco -- Brokest Trader on RK2
    Coope -- His bot is his best friend

Originally posted by Dark Kensai
    Promising the stars and then hitting the customer with a bat so that they see stars is not the same thing.

Originally Posted by sobeguy
    If you really want this chair, why not just get a phalloplasty and address your real concern?

Become a Lifer

Exclamation

I will be keeping my eyes on the situation as it develops.

Exclamation

Dammit I bought one of those things!...I knew I should have hired that sexy opifex maid...now I'm stuck with something that can kill me in my sleep?

Got to call a crat, gonna sue too!
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

This is one robot out of how many? Thousands? Tens of thousands? More?

Even in this day and age it is possable to produce a line of product where one peice simply goes wrong.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it is has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Gurney "Twistshot" Halleck

Want to learn how to roleplay? Click Here for ideas! Looking for other Roleplayers? /tell channel42 !join and meet them! Want a larger source for RP? Go to www.ao-universe.com

*grins* Good thing I just built my own cleanerbot for my shop...never can trust those new models. If anyone is interested, Im sure I can build a few more. Just gotta find the right parts.

you know, maybe we should investigate is the trash king and his greasy bunch are involved.
    --
    The nootie's infamous black joker, Jujuwalker :
    RP profile : http://www.ao-universe.com/tools.php...ion=show&id=74
    --

La censure est la negation de l' esprit. (Censoring is the negation of thought) --Yvirnig
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -- Hunter S. Thompson
    --
    QUOTE OF THE DAY : And remember : you minions SHOULDN'T BE THINKING!

Quote Originally Posted by Jujuwalker
    you know, maybe we should investigate is the trash king and his greasy bunch are involved.
    Considering their communication tools are plundered every four seconds, perhaps looking elsewhere is more sufficient :P
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR) would like to assure all our customers and IRRK readers that we take very seriously any customer complaints, especially when they sue us. However with the robot in question destroyed it will be very difficult to prove that said robot was had not been tampered with in ways that would invalidate the warranty.

It is an established fact that most cases of domestic robots violence can be attributed to hacking, chipping, tampering or simply subjecting the robot to abusive behaviour. My I cite precident with the Hubble vs. RUR ( http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...ghlight=Hubble ) case from three years ago which also featured a robot allegedly turning on its owner. In that instance we were able to prove that the owner had abused the robot, the original Milly bot, forcing it among other things to dress up in women’s lingerie.

There are exceptions of course. When RUR introduced the Pfft!, a range of personal fitness trainer robot, our engineers we did not realize until it was too late that it suffered from a fundamental design flaw. These robots were to prove unexpectedly overzealousness in their quest to improve the health and fitness of their owners with tragic consequences. The robot was withdrawn, all former Pfft! owners have been compensated for any medical or insurance bills incurred. The full story is documented here (http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=368882 ).

But that really is just the exception that proves the rule. The DLK-2000 range of vacuum cleaner has now been on sale for over three years and has proven to be, for the most part, perfectly safe, though elementary precautions are advised with regards to pets, small children, loud sudden noises, clowns, discarded underwear, power tools, vitamin C supplements, grand pianos and Stephen King novels.

As such we are sceptical of Mr Nemoli claims and suspect he will find it singularly difficult to convince any right-minded judge that the robot is to be considered at fault in this incident.

Dabblez
    Director of Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    Last edited by Savoy; Jan 31st, 2006 at 09:40:43.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

Having had the oportunity to take a look at the working innards of a broken bot of the same model (The poor thing got sat on by a very large Atrox) i feel confident that this case of a Bot going Frankenstein is either the fault of post production warranty voiding alteration to the higher brainfunctions of the bot, or a one in a million+ manufacture error.

Most likely the thing got it´s programming messed up to mistake all organic substances for dirt to be removed.

Itsabargain

Trader Extarorinaire

Ask me about my low low prices!
    "On the frontlines, there is but one commandment...
    Thou Shalt Kill."

"As i stride knee deep through the dead, all is clear. I know what must be done...
    My cause is just...My will is strong...
    ...And my gun is very, very large!"
    The words of a true soldier.

Its All About The Phats.
    Maybe someone sabotaged the robot in order to dispose of the owner, in an "accident".

Just a thought, i err, wouldnt know anything about it.
    Acetsuntura (220]/21/70) - Adventurer