Thread: Privacy on Channel 42

Privacy on Channel 42

Channel 42 is a CB radio frequency on Rubi-Ka. I don't own Channel42, no one does. I have however setup a relay tower on RUR's city which I look after an which allows the signal to reach a wider audience than it might otherwise do. It's a hobby. I guess even I can't spend all day working on robots.

Without naming names, today an incident occurred whereby someone sought to use RUR's CH42 relay tower to trace the location of one of the radio's users. The attempt was not successful. Nonetheless, in hindsight, I find I share the blame for this intrusion of privacy. The situation was somewhat unusual and I really did not consider the consequences so I allowed it to happen. Nevermore.

Hence forward any attempt to use misuse Channel 42 in such manner will not be tolerated. I'd sooner remove the relay tower than allow this kind of abuse again. Channel 42 it there to allow for the free exchange of ideas on this war ravaged planet, regardless of faction.

Users on Channel 42 should be aware that it what they say may be monitored by security forces of any side, Omni-Internops or even The Black Company, that is unavoidable. Free access implies free access to everyone. But I do draw the line at my hardware beinging used to track down people.

Thank you for your attention.

Dabblez
    Last edited by Savoy; Jan 27th, 2006 at 01:14:49.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

We do have Whoopin' sticks, and we ain't scared to use 'em.

I’m not sure what happened, since I’m looking into some Shadowland things on Ergo’s request, which will keep me busy for a day or two.

I agree with Dabblez though, misuse of Channel 42 should not be tolerated. Our one source of free speech is far too precious to allow such a thing.
    Marcos "Yarko" Orender
    co-Minister of Foreign Affairs, Newland City Council
    Advisor of The Independent Rubikans

Rubi-Ka's neutral news source: The Independent Rubikan http://www.ir-news.org/

Funny you should mention this Yarko becasue, without going into to much detail, this breech of CH42 etiquette was triggered by some guy impersonating you on the air.

Tracking down the impostor probably seemed like a good idea at the time, but loss of privacy implication for all other users is too high a price to pay.

Dabblez

I agree - Channel 42 should not be used as a tool to track people. That is what wire tapping without a court order and subpoenas of grid search engines are for.
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

((okay, thanks. Since you mentioned us specifically, I started to think that one of ours did something there. ))

(( your people are the scariest Astera. ))

I think I saw that guy's callsign, Yurko, or some-such.

Impersonating me? Hmm... I wonder if I should feel honoured or...

I'll ask our security Minister to look into it.
    Marcos "Yarko" Orender
    co-Minister of Foreign Affairs, Newland City Council
    Advisor of The Independent Rubikans

Rubi-Ka's neutral news source: The Independent Rubikan http://www.ir-news.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Astera
    ((okay, thanks. Since you mentioned us specifically, I started to think that one of ours did something there. ))
    (( Nah, just consider it a "bump" for The Black Company :-) ))

Well, it cost my over 200k, but I've made some changes to the Channel 42 relay tower so that it should be safer from hackers. I mean, who needs money? I can live on generic economy bronto meat-substitute burgers and RUR.cola for another month.

Of course nothing is ever 100% hacker proof, but the changes made should make any attempt at tracing users more difficult and also more obvious.

Dabblez

((and as always bump for RUR. Thaks for the channel. I love running little contests on it.

Kotts: We learned from you :P ))

((Oh, i've never been able to give demongun his prize money :S ))

You know it is common practice to hire hackers to fight hackers...

(( pfft I'm not scary. I'm lovable! ))

Quote Originally Posted by Astera
    ((Oh, i've never been able to give demongun his prize money :S ))
    ((Don't worry about it))
    ~Trolls~
    Malcom "Chamaelo" Ashwell - Ex-Immortal.
    Vanguard Adriaan "Demongun" Blackwind - Hermit.
    Jawquez "Jawalooc" Loocazt - Bounty Hunter.
    Michael "Mirkle" Kreble - Creep.
    Christopher "Xelger" Junior - Coffee Maker.

Child Of The Omni - The Boy With The Kitten - Sleepless - The Storm/Breathe - Terminal

"You've just got to keep writing, if that's what makes you happy,
    even when there is no indication anyone is actually reading your work." - Savoy