Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FJRK: A Dangerous Alternative?

I don't think "Council of Ashes" was much of a spin.

Well, let's not forget how they had their brush with power.

OT accused a few CoT members of being involved with the Dust Brigade, and those members went into hiding rather than trying to prove themselves innocent. The next part, according to who tells the story, the CoA forced the rest of the CoT out, or they rushed in to fill the vacuum when the CoT left the rest of the clans behind. Which version sounds more like the truth to you?

There were a number of factors involved in the CoT's disappearance. Yes, there was the speculation that the Dust Brigade had infiltrated it.. but they also threatened the lives of many of the legacy clans with perma death. This drove some of them into hiding...especially when several people were found perma killed and Radiman was shot. There was also a distinct lack of support for the council any more, and when you have people like Windguaerd, Redruum, Portman and Silverstone who were rallying against it, it meant a lot.

It wasn't just one thing, it was several.

Quote Originally Posted by Astera
    There were a number of factors involved in the CoT's disappearance. Yes, there was the speculation that the Dust Brigade had infiltrated it.. but they also threatened the lives of many of the legacy clans with perma death. This drove some of them into hiding...especially when several people were found perma killed and Radiman was shot. There was also a distinct lack of support for the council any more, and when you have people like Windguaerd, Redruum, Portman and Silverstone who were rallying against it, it meant a lot.
    And there you have my point. The old CoT was accused of supporting the Dust Brigade, with evidence (albeit circumstantial) that some members may have been doing so. As soon as this alleged connection becomes a major issue, they are forced to flee and the CoA took over.

Now someone hints that the CoA is tied to the Dust Brigade--it makes no sense. I've seen enough of the Dust Brigade to know that they don't play well with others--at least as long as those others intend to remain on the planet.

This reminds me of something--has anyone ever heard anything about conflicts between the Dusties and the aliens, or the Dusties and the Unicorns? Surely they have been targetted at one time or another by both, but I don't recall anyone ever finding evidence of such a conflict.

I don't like that spin.

It is just like I said. The CoT was "possibly" infiltrated by the Dust Brigade, not that the CoT supported them. No records or people alive anywhere ever were proven to have supported the Dust Brigade. I think Portman was the only one accused of it, but again, was not proven.

If you stop and think about it, the Dusters likely have infiltrated every organization, large and small, Omni/Neutral/Clan on the planet.

I have no doubts the Dusters had a hand/eye in the CoA somewhere. Of course, I can't prove that.

I recently opened my classified file on the Council of Ares, which was only available for officers of my clan and a handful of trusted clan leaders.

You can check 'Council of Ares - Historical Facts' here.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Thank you for the historical background Windguaerd, from what I have glanced over it will prove to be a very interesting and informative read.

Also I am glad to see so many people placing this report, or rather the report that started this all, where it belongs, along side the dime store tabloids.

Oh, and Windguaerd, my congradulations, if I have not already given them, on your recent achivements.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it is has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Gurney "Twistshot" Halleck

Want to learn how to roleplay? Click Here for ideas! Looking for other Roleplayers? /tell channel42 !join and meet them! Want a larger source for RP? Go to www.ao-universe.com

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Twistshot
    Also I am glad to see so many people placing this report, or rather the report that started this all, where it belongs, along side the dime store tabloids.
    If you were to do some research and check my record, you will find that out of 27 interviews (actualy 30+ if you count the interviews in my report individually) since 29477, Lady Xaun was the only one in 3 years that has ever claimed I 'edited' an interview.

Some may have not liked the fact I published everything he or she said expecting me to 'soften' the words to keep it politically correct but they never claimed I published something that was not said. My job is not to cover anybody's rear end, on the contrary if someone says something which seem unapropiate or even dangerous I will certainly let that person continue even if it appears she is hanging a rope around her own neck by doing so.

As a journalist if there is dirty laundry, I'm going to air it out of course! as long as it is based on truth, it is something I'm comfortable doing.

Some have said that Lady Xaun would never say the words published, that I should have gotten to know her before I tried to 'sabotage her image'.

Well, before the interview I didn't know Lady Xaun, I got her name from the official CoT gridsite which lists clan representatives of the council.

Honestly my first impression of Lady Xaun during the interview was not too positive, however I let her express herself and allow her own words reflect the beliefs she believed in.

I was out to get comments from clan leaders who held a seat in the council, and I got more than I hoped for.

Let me remind you the report is titled "The current state of The Council of Truth", the spotlight is on the CoT, not on Lady Xaun.

I respect your personal opinion Mr. Twistshot, as I do with all those who have stated that the views expressed by Lady Xaun during the interview conflict with the way they know her.

My job during an interview is not to trick or force someone to say something they don't mean; however if someone puts their foot in their mouth...I will certainly not stop her from doing so, neither would I try and 'save' or 'cover' for her.

In the best light possible, she made a mistake (I will not mention what she would be under a less favoring light). I offered her a chance for another interview, perhaps to retract some of her statements. A chance which has come and gone.

I've moved on with my work, I suggest those who consider themselves friends to Lady Xaun focus on helping her recover from her mistake.

People make mistakes, we may be of different breeds but we're all human. And humans aren't perfect.

As a sidenote, there was no Council of Ashes. However a few years ago a group named themselves 'Dust Brigade' which sent up red flags in every faction. Eventually it was discovered that they were not the real DB, but a group of supporters.

To avoid people from shooting them on sight they were asked to change their name, and they did. The name of the clan was 'Sons of Ashes', and they lasted a few months before they disbanded due to public pressure.
    Last edited by Noticiero; Jan 27th, 2006 at 13:08:41.

Actually, from sources I will not mention, I have heard that several of the people you have interviewed have complained about your editing practices. It would seem that Xaun is simply the first to make a loud noise about it.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it is has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Want to learn how to roleplay? Click Here for ideas! Looking for other Roleplayers? /tell channel42 !join and meet them! Want a larger source for RP? Go to www.ao-universe.com

Exclamation

Actually, from sources I will not mention, I have heard that several of the people you have interviewed have complained about your editing practices. It would seem that Xaun is simply the first to make a loud noise about it.
    Unlike you Mr. Twistshot, I can mention my sources because revealing the truth does not put anyone at any risk.

Since you have heard 'several' individuals complain, I will now ask you to list the people and what they said exactly so I can do a follow-up interview with them to give them an opportunity to rectify anything they feel I misquoted them during their interview.

Lady Xaun is indeed the only one that made 'a loud noise', while the other 25+ people I have interviewed have not called me a liar and a traitor to the clans.

Like I stated before, some may have not liked the fact I published everything he or she said; however never has anyone complained I misquoted or edited an interview.

If you tell me 'I hate X and once things are in my favor I'm gonna bomb X town' do you expect me to soften it up? or should I be a good reporter and publish it AS IT WAS SAID. Well, all my interviews have been accurate, and I have no need to 'edit' anybody's words. I find that the right questions sometimes get people to say things they may later on consider a 'fumble'...they dropped the ball and said something which either they wanted to kept secret or did not express correctly.

I'm a fair man, if anyone I interview feels they made the wrong statement or a mistake during the interview, I'm more than happy to meet with the person again to allow him or her to rectify, correct or just apologize for such statement.

Lady Xaun had that chance, with her claims, accusations and conspiracy theories she has clearly made the choice than rather to try and correct her mistake she decided to dismiss the interview as if with a magic wand it would go away.

I published an article based on real interviews with clan leaders of the CoT, I made my opinions on it known in the report.

Some will agree, and some will disagree with any report made by any reporter. Rarely does any investigative reporting gets 100% support from all its readers.

I expect people to disagree with the report, but one thing is saying 'I don't agree', another to say 'Those statements are false'.

Disagreement is expected, accusations of me conspiring to sabotage the reputation of someone I had never met before were not. I have no motives to do anything of the kind, I've pushed people for answers, but never forced or asked anyone to lie to make a report more 'juicy'.

In my experience, the best stories are the ones you 'bump' into...you make a normal ordinary question....you get an unexpected answer that leads me to make more questions that makes a better story to publish.

Of course as you continue to become more outstanding on Lady Xaun's behalf, the more the spotlight remains on what she said.

Anyone can say 'You are a liar...based on...uh...sources I cannot mention'. Journalism does bring those kind of people out when they don't like what they read.

Its quite odd how reporters will not disclose their sources when it benifits them and yet they always demand to know the names of other peoples sources. Since I do not have their permission to use their names, I shall not and only say I trust these sources, much as you trust your sources, weather or not you use their names or not.

Exclamation

Its quite odd how reporters will not disclose their sources when it benifits them and yet they always demand to know the names of other peoples sources. Since I do not have their permission to use their names, I shall not and only say I trust these sources, much as you trust your sources, weather or not you use their names or not.
    Actually reporters do not disclose sources mainly because doing so would put them in danger of bodily harm not because it 'benefits' a reporter. When a serious accusation is done, then you need at least one solid public (not anonymous) source to support the claim.

Of course you're not a reporter so you have no such reputation on the line, you can just say 'sources' and make up anything you want. You don't have a journalistic career to think about.

"I have heard that several of the people you have interviewed have complained about your editing practices"...you heard from them, however did you get their permission to quote them in public?

I'm not sure you even asked Mr. Twistshot. You have forced my hand on this issue.

I received this message from Lady Xaun this past Wed Jan 18, 29480 at about 6:56 am:

Subject: trust

Sir, I must ask you please respect my wishes and edit out the parts of our conversation in which I said.. don't quote me... if you do not your report will do more harm than good. I ask you as a decent and understanding person to respect my wishes before you damage my reputation beyond repair. I spoke to you and trusted you.. I gave you the honest truth.. for your own inqueries and insights into the matter you were researching.. but as a source of information you are directly putting my life in jeapordy. if you do not edit those parts out in a quick and timely mannor the damage may never be undone.. I beg of you please fix this asap!

-Lord
    Aethyr Prime
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Could you explain to me how Lady Xaun has publicly stated that I lied and on this personal message admits the report was accurate and asks me to remove the part in which she said not to quote her?

I did not wish to reveal this message, but your continuous effort to undermine the interview gave me no choice.

Mr. Twistshot, I would suggest at this time you have a nice long private chat with your friend.

Have a good day.

The interview with Xuan, for me, raised a good many questions that i feel need to be asked. Personaly i would have prefered to have bought these questions up in a cot meeting for all representitives to listen to and form their own opinions, but, unfortuantly events have failed to permit this, so i am forced to ask here in this public forum.

Twistshot, u posed this question a little earlier on.

{Now while she, and many others, are tired of the inaction of the CoT, she still belives in it and supports it. Infact one of the past topics in the CoT meetings was the fact that they were getting nothing done.

And Malogar, considering all the effort and work that she, and all of the Aethyr clans put in, we deserve some kind of word back from them, we spend weeks and months gathering that intel.}

It was not only the Ayther guild that took part in these investigations, but The Black Company amongst others gave their assistance, we maynot have engaged in combat in the biomare, but we investigated many other possibilitys as well, all done in agreement with the mandate set by the council.

As in a past investigation team i have taken part in, all information pertaining to the matter being looked into, must be presented to the council meeting so all members can view the data. it is done this way so all members have the same information that can be filtered back to their guilds, also, so a concensus on a course of action can be reached, it also ensures impartiality and no bias on the part of the investigation team. Quite fair and proper rules one should think.

My questions to Lady Xuan, and yourself Twistshot as you seem to be aware of the situation is this.

Why was this information never presented to the council, i mean, how can the council agree on a course of action if it is in the dark. The past meeting logs do not show any such information ever being presented as per the council's mandate.

Who was this disk given to?, who decrypted it and presented a report to the council?, again, there is no record of this in the council meeting logs, a curious oversight to your claims is it not?, it is fine to bandy bandy words and claims around, but to totaly contradict yourself is somewhat curious.
    Unless of course u decide to claim the councils logs have been altered as well.

Another question is that why were none of the guilds involved in this matter ever breifed fully on this so called proof?, many many times i sent comms to Lady Xuan asking for updates ect ect and to tell her where we were at, but the comms were never replyed to. How can an investigation be successfuly run, when there is a lack of cooperation from one side of the party. haveing to wait to be breifed by the press, well it's a pretty poor effort i must say. i worked with knights in the last investigation and did not enounter such instragience and The investigation was very successful. Could it be a personal hate of the sentinals clouding judgement?,
    or another motive all together?

I take my duties to The Black company, The sentinals and the Council of Truth very very seriously. To claim failure and treason by the Cot on this matter, while yourselves failing to follow proper protocol And fully failing to abide by the mandate set out to us merely shows total contempt and disregard for the processes of the body that we freely choose to represent.

Leftenant Xenoclast "Steelyglint" Arai

General of The Black Company.

Quote Originally Posted by steelyglint

Why was this information never presented to the council, i mean, how can the council agree on a course of action if it is in the dark. The past meeting logs do not show any such information ever being presented as per the council's mandate.
    Actually I have asked about what happened to this information before the last CoT meeting and no one knows what happened to the data, it seems to have fallen off the face of the planet. As to who it was turned into, I do not know, all i know is that it was turned in and ... poof... it is gone. Even people on the clerical staff are wondering where it went, or atleast Astera is for she is the one I spoke with.

Lets clarify that a bit. I was not even aware the information was turned in so I do not know where it went.

Ahh I see. I misunderstood.

Well I will ask Xaun who she turned the information into as soon as possable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12