Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Everybody now wears tank armor: ridiculous

Choices

Surely its up to the individual player to choose what they want to wear? I don't think anyone has the right to say someone else's character shouldn't wear this or that.

@Halofire

I can't be bothered to find the post on the NT board, but an NT has proved that an MP with mindquake can over time outdamage an NT with IEF (our best damage over time DD Nuke). He did this by applying basic math.

If you can apply your basic math and prove that this isn't true then your are entitled to ROFL at my post
    Narama 209 MA
    Narakar 200 NT (gear)
    Kataq 137 Keeper
    Naracrat 137 Crat

Proud Member of TAG

RK1

i still wear my primus armor dress...erm, i mean coat.

Originally posted by Borrace
    i still wear my primus armor dress...erm, i mean coat.
    Yeah. The thank and invis cloaks are really the only good option. Everything else just looks stupid. Plus, i went through a lot of trouble to have matched armor that looks fly, and i really don't feel like putting a bath robe over it so nobody can see how cool i look.

Frankly, its going to be tank armor until a better option comes out. Not just better protection (for I still firmly believe that AC is meaningless) but as cool or cooler looking. And stop trying to cover up my matched armor.

Bathrobes are for people with hodge podge armor
    Click Click BOOM

www.proveuswrong.com
    BoomDoom - Lvl 146 NT
    Thugdoom - lvl 80 enforcer
    EmissaryDoom - lvl 75 Crat
    ProfDoom - Lvl 57 MP
    Nursedoom - lvl 57 Doctor

in reply to halofire:

This has been proved time and time again in to many posts then I dare to count, but the masters of Nano damage is the Crats, their rule of one is the most superior nuke out there, after that I belive the NT's volcanic eruption then local dimensional interversion after that I belive the MP's mind quake follows near. Hopefully we'll get some new nukes that at least brings us over the crat's nano damage in the next patch.
    "Yesterday we bowed before kings and bent our necks to emperors, today we kneel only before truth"

I only brought up the nano damage problem because it was mentioned the NTs shouldn't have guns.

Whether its MPs or crats that have the best nano damage isn't really the point. Even if NTs did happen to have the best DD nuke by a narrow margin it still isn't the point.

The point is that MPs and crats have pets for extra damage , where as NTs have... well I have a wen-wen

So I equip a gun knowing full well that MPs and crats can out damage my nukes, have pets for extra damage and to top it all off can also equip the same gun as me with the same difficulty.

/me begins to cry
    Narama 209 MA
    Narakar 200 NT (gear)
    Kataq 137 Keeper
    Naracrat 137 Crat

Proud Member of TAG

RK1

Narakar, I do not think Chemi was criticising NT's whatsoever. Please take a close look at Chemi's post:

Originally posted by Chemi
    Therefore to see Nanotechnicians wandering around with Tank Armor and Weapons says a great deal about Funcom's failure to properly define the profession in the game.
    He puts the blame squarely on Funcom for not giving NTs (and other casters) appropriate alternative armor (and weapon-ish) choices.

I agree completely. Casters should not be running around in tank armor. But right now, it is one of the best alternatives, so I understand totally why they do so. One of my characters is an NT, and I have so far resisted the urge to use tank armor. But I am sure if things continue as they are, I will eventually give in for the needed bonuses.

I would much rather use something more appropriate (a web cloak probably, I hate the way cloaks/robes look). I think most folks agree.

The blame goes on Funcom for having such an eggregious lack of options. It is a shame that out of HUNDREDS of weapons and ~50 different types of armor, only a handful are actually worth using. =(
    Primordiax RPG - Our World, Your Imagination
    http://www.primordiax.com

Muckbeast - MMO Game Developer Blog
    http://www.muckbeast.com

I wear a Senior Omni Intern-Op coat because it looks nice.
    RETIRED

@Cindrax

Yes I realise that. What I was trying to point out is that in AO there is no such thing as a pure caster.

Having said that FC have said that they would like NTs to be able to rely on Nanos. But this still doesn't mean that NTs shouldn't behave like soldiers. People only make the mistake of thinking that NTs are pure casters because they have played or seen pure casters in other games such as EQ.

So by design NTs must equip guns to get the most damage. If in the design of AO the descision to heavily penalise or even totally prevent NTs from weilding weapons had been made then the NT would be a pure caster class.

I didn't think Chemi was criticising NTs for trying to making up for their broken profession, I was rather trying to point out that his idea of the profession isn't maybe what FC's idea of it is. But I'm not suprised that he made this mistake as no NTs I know know what the idea of an NT is either
    Narama 209 MA
    Narakar 200 NT (gear)
    Kataq 137 Keeper
    Naracrat 137 Crat

Proud Member of TAG

RK1

Re: mouahaha

Originally posted by Sturmkampfer
    Ha ha shub.

when you will be more familiar to this game you'll gain right to call me nerfmonger but at your level (10), i don't really think u even know what you are talking about!

Go and make your way through the game and we'll see.
    Well I have a lvl 166 Soldier, Nerfmonger. I don't think it should be tank only.... I think it was a bad idea for making albrecht look like tank with little bad and lots of good. But NT's and MP's pay the price by having to raise a useless skill (strength) to extremly high levels (for them) to use it.

It's also rude to tell someone they don't have the right to tell someone they don't get to voice their opinion because they are whatever level they are. I believe he pays the same amount per month. He may hope to one day wear albrecht.

you are being hypocritical when you ask for Funcom to Nerf this as here is a quote from you:
    Sturmkampfer
    Community Member

Shadowlands=No Man's land?
    PLz Funcom!!! Improve your customer service and stop nerfing instead of improving!!!!

A0-Shadowlands is coming, but a lot of competitors too!!

So if u want the community to stay as large as possible and shadowlands not to become No Man's land, stop considering us only as cash machines!!!

I see you've made it to a whopping level 136. I guess that gives you the right to call others noobs.

There is no reason that tank should be only useable by one group or class anymore than nano armor should only be useable by nanomages. It's common armor. It takes an ip investment from the player.

Seems as though you just want to have all the benefits though, considering I read the post you started about how enforcers should get an MK shield too...

I am lvl 198, I am a NT, I wear ab tank, I use a gun, and I have been playing since June (release). Does that satisfy the requirements to post here? lol

Anyway, plain and simple, the Devs have failed to distinctively give the NT a solid role. After each patch our role in this game disappeared. Now we have to settle as the back up damage dealer, the back up calmer, and the back up nano programmer. Originally, we were labeled as the masters of damage, but with the dmg reduction in PvP and MOB Hp boost, that title quickly disappeared. They killed 90 percent of our nukes and now we only have about 5 nukes that are useful. The majority of NTs use one nuke and that is IEF. That alone doesn't do the job when it comes to PvM and PvP so many of us were "forced" to play copy cat and use rifles and such.

It is funny to see people argue that it was meant to be that way, but I differ. That subject is a thread of it's own. As far as armor goes, the NT community has asked the DEVs to modify nano armor. I personally emailed them asking them to modify it. As of today it has gone ignored unless it is changed in our future patch. Instead, we have to resort to the next logical thing. Go with the best armor out there. Which brings us to tank armor.

Who in their right mind doesn't want a tank with 0 nano cost, nanopool boost, and nano ini? Should I elaborate? Nerfing one item will only force players to search for the next best thing. How about just modifying existing armor and having a selection of great armor.
    Last edited by Billy Talent; Aug 7th, 2002 at 17:14:33.

overtune it.... that's all I have to say

what, your scared it degrades after 48hrs? oh no... I'll blitz me another... end of story.
    211 Apprentice Fixer Wigz [gear]
    63 Enforcer Rarrr - Tankz()R!!!

Proud Veteran of Synergy Factor
    ARRRRR!!! Wigz Comics

Retired due to the intentional timesink design of AO.

Ha ha shub.

when you will be more familiar to this game you'll gain right to call me nerfmonger but at your level (10), i don't really think u even know what you are talking about!

perhaps you didnt notice where it says REGISTERED: NOVEMEBER, 2001.

anyways..overtuned tank is nicer than albrecht..especially since it doesnt actually time out. my crat is wearing a nice ql 200 tank she made herself..mmmm...no evade or run speed penalty
    President of Midnight Reveries

"I didn't think Chemi was criticising NTs for trying to making up for their broken profession, I was rather trying to point out that his idea of the profession isn't maybe what FC's idea of it is. But I'm not suprised that he made this mistake as no NTs I know know what the idea of an NT is either"

I am an NT

"Yes I realise that. What I was trying to point out is that in AO there is no such thing as a pure caster."

I disagree. AO is not a revolutionary game in anything except it's concept and the professions they have devised are based on quite simple rules already laid down by previous MMORPGS. I have read the Funcom description of the NT and theoretically, you are incorrect. I respect what you've said and I am aware that the AO skill system is done in such a way that other possibilities are open to the character, however Funcom have made it perfectly clear in reply posts and in their description that the Nanotechician is a pure caster. Check the replies on the Nanotechnician board and you will see that one of the Funcom moderators claims "It is our intention that the Nanotechnician should be able to rely solely on his spells" or words to that effect. I would like to emphasise that my qualm is neither with you nor any of the people who have chosen this somewhat contradictory path, but I stress my disappointment at such a huge move away from the intended definition of the Nanotechnician.
    Last edited by Chemi; Aug 7th, 2002 at 22:25:30.

This is all pretty stupid. Blahblah class should be like blahblah. In the end it all comes down to two things. Dealing dmg and handling dmg. The profs are just ways to give players a variation in the way they deal dmg.

If roleplay means that much to you, then by all means. Be an MP with creation weapons and nano armor.

For the rest of us who've realized long ago that RPG is a long dead term, we'll use the best that's available to kill things faster with less risk of dying.

If you continue to go through life envious of other people, you will live your life in perpetual misery. Have fun.

Oh, and I wore Albrecht tank. ACs didn't really matter at that point so I choose it more for the nano pool and nano init.
    Last edited by Zylina; Aug 7th, 2002 at 22:45:14.

Hmmm

Gee, I thought that AO was a "skill" based game and that if any profession or breed wanted to spend the IP on something that they were actually free to do so and free to equip/use said item as long as thier skills met the requirements...

Guess I must have been mistaken...

/em rushes off to reset his shotgun/strength/stamina skills before he gets yelled at for using the IP the way he wanted too.
    Othgar
    Omni-Tek Master Assassin
    Skitch
    Omni-Tek NT (Testlive)

Frankly, i wish it was less common for NT's to have guns. That way it would be more out of the ordinary that i'm in full elite, with a gun, and Tank Armor.
    Click Click BOOM

www.proveuswrong.com
    BoomDoom - Lvl 146 NT
    Thugdoom - lvl 80 enforcer
    EmissaryDoom - lvl 75 Crat
    ProfDoom - Lvl 57 MP
    Nursedoom - lvl 57 Doctor

Ha ha shub.

Where did you get lvl 10 from?

Shubalubdub is a lvl 135 Doc in my guild. A very good doc, at that.
    Animacion 160 Opi Enforcer equipment
    Takima 166 Trader
    Proud member of First Order for 3 years and going.

"All things around you grow stonger from your spilled blood. Now, you grow stronger from theirs."

Mages? Did somebody back there say mages? What the hell are those? Aren't those some kind of never-neverland storybook guys that don their pointy moons-&-stars hats whilst troncing orcs & all that rot?

Wrong game guys. This is AO, & you can check your mage at the front door, cuz he doesn't belong here. Neither do magic, spells, hobgoblins, nor pointy elven booties.

A Nano Technician is a scientist. Under normal conditions, I'm sure they wear labcoats or whatever. But on a battle-torn planet where everyone (scientists, doctors, salesmen, what have you) is forced to take up arms & protect their land from the evil (Omni/Clan; pick one) threat... then they are going to wear armor & carry guns.

Granted, this is also a planet where the notum-rich atmosphere makes has a similar effect on humans as putting Kal-El under a yellow sun (i.e., everyone can develop remarkable abilities with a bit of practice). But these NT people are still (supposed to be) scientists. If a scientist is faced with a choice; whether to wear a decus dress or tank armor into battle... he will most likely make the logical decision (scientists just love logic): Whichever of the two that will keep him alive longer.
    Lucas "Madhava" Graves || Gear
    Level 203 Chief of Staff Surgery
    Advisor of Synergy Factor

Chakra "Accessory" Red || Gear

Here's another Sturmkampfer gem for your reading pleasure: http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...threadid=23369

I'd say you've lost your credibility, but I'm not sure you ever had any.

VNine: aww, me a good doc? All I can remember is the times I drift off, starting at my screen, while the tank falls to half health

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast