Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: This time I mean it: Shotgun Soldier

This time I mean it: Shotgun Soldier

Alright...

I have been thinking this thing over and over for a long time:

Last night I finally did it, I rolled a new baby soldier after I have brought up my main (lvl 204 soli soldier) the usual path over the course of three years.

Throughout my career, I always have been eyeing shotties... I just think they are sexah guns. With my main, I would lack the IP to invest in Shotguns without risking getting seriously gimped with my main setup.

As I said, I rolled a fresh Soldier yesterday, this time I will plan him to be a shottie toon exclusively.

Never mind the fact that I will be a little gimped compared to your regular or high end soldiers out there, but I don't care. Since I am a somewhat social gamer (I HATE camping and can't bring myself to do it,, not even with my main), I figure that I will not be top of the line armor or gunwise anyways.

Since I won't be wasting any IPs into any other ranged skill but shotgun, I figure I will be sorely gimped for the first 50 levels or so. Ranged Init will be too low to get Targeting Scopes for Crit bonuses in, so I will be fumbling around with minimum damage in the beginning.

Ever since I was using twin Revolving Cold Lasers on my main toon when I was lvl 150 (and freaking everyone out with the weird Blaster Rifle sound they make), I have been a crit junkie.

For that reason, I will walk the Path of the Krutt... low min damage, insane crit shotties.

I will start farming creds with my main to eventually be able to afford an ELLTS (much, much) later on.

I believe, that around lvl 80 or so, I can squeeze into a setup with enough NCU to constantly get MOP and TTS from friendly MAs and Agents.

After having spent the better part of the last two years in the Shadowlands, I will be refocusing on Rubi Ka with my new toon, in order to limit gimpedness (staying clear of the high evade mobs).

Any suggestions from the community are welcome. Any thoughts on weapon, item, armor choices?

Maybe http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=165168 if you rolled trox + all the crit stuff you can get your hands on

yeah that one or the upgraded one if you get to 210ish and a viral scope
    +15%critscope.
    Lillagumman 220/24 Soldier stuff
    Shibari 220/14 Crat Shibari about to be reconfigurated stuff
    Froo 165/12 Adventurer
    no i dont have more alts.
    I miss Satenia
    Sith of Avatars Reloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Lillagumman
    yeah that one or the upgraded one if you get to 210ish and a viral scope
    +15%critscope.
    Problem here being that you can equip DKPs at lvl 100ish they are awesome weapons on RK though, I loved them when I used them, but SL killed that joy

Hats off to your project though I'm doing a similar thing myself at the moment, though mine involves using only RK items and going the Assault Rifle + Ranged Energy way
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

How about a Krutt Assault Waltzing Queen?

Easy to blitz, thus cheap... and the highest crit stat existing for anything not "Trader only".

Hell... I didn't even know that the QL 260 Viral TS had a 10% crit chance increase. I got a QL 260 from a Aliums raid with my main the other day...

Unfortunately quite useless if your main is still lugging around a QL 212 Cooperator.

I figure I will be drawing aggro a lot with my shottie soldier. So I need the best shield nanos possible... thus choosing atrox as a breed would make this a pain.

Armor choice will definitely include a crepuscule skinchip.

There is ways to boost your crit stat quite nicely, unfortunately it will involve hogging advies, ma's and agents:

MOP, TTS, Sabretooth and Grinning Hunter, Crepuscule skinchip, lower QL viral scope (+7 %)... thats already 21 % crit chance without too much hassle... with a waltzing queens crit stat of 1143... statistically every fifth shot is going through the roof...

Oh... found some more interesting items... Exterminator Ocular Enhancement... wonderful stats on this item.

Globe of Clarity is overrated and way to expensive imho... so I'll skip that.

But what about building an atomic turret in the land control area of my base? Anyone got any info on how to get the parts for such a turret? Mods are sure nice.

Sid

Awsome plan man.

For towers, you can equip Ithaca, O.E.T. Co. Type 77a Ranee and for regular RK missioning Krutt Assault 219 Waltzing Queen Special or my personal favorite O.E.T. Co. Urban Sniper Kaiser.

You probably already know it, but just in case:
    Ideal setup - 15% LLTS, 2 GoCs, Notum Infused kevlar vest, DB skirt, predator circlet.

Team with crat (assasins focus), MA (MOP) or Agent (TTS).

Crit setup worked awsome back in a days (Nova flow MKIV pwns with it) , of corse we had UVC buff, but we did not armor crit buffing items. All in all, shoty/crit setup will be awsome for RK, and in case FC will produce more crit items it will pwn even in SL.

Expect crits climb all the way to 4.2-4.8K on RK .
    Cerber - MA Bruiser

Baboone - Portable Deathstar

Dukatus - Choppah

Dammit... Atomic AF is not ingame... bleh

I think it is....I might be wrong but I have a feeling i have it in my bank.

I recently also made soldier extravaganza, a nanomage female soldier with a focus on RE .
    Cerber - MA Bruiser

Dukatus - Choppah

Thanks for your comments Cerb... however, CoC's, DB pants etc. are sure nice... there is only a slight problem. They are absolutely uber items with an insane droprate... neither do I have 500 mil creds, nor am I fond of camping.

So I am looking for viable alternatives that won't chase me away from playing AO for another year due to camping frustration setting in again.

How about the Notum infused Kevlar pants? Where do you get them?

Fierry soldier, also drops Master of combustion. And beeping BP.

Might seems like hard to raid her, but a team of a healer, high lvl shade and you, would be able to quickly dispatch her.

Those pants are considered 'useless' by most players, so I bet lots of them are siting in bank doing nothing, you might be able to find one for free or for very reasonable price.
    Cerber - MA Bruiser

Dukatus - Choppah

Notum Infused armor drops from Notum Soldier (same one that drops the upgrade for the Hellfury and the Nophex II)
    ACCOUNT STATUS

Cancelled

This account was cancelled at:
    2006-01-01 14:48:52

That was my new year resolution concerning AO...

The chronicles of Muzzleloader, Shotgun soldier extraordinaire, Day 1:

After having killed last nights character, I rerolled Muzzleloader as an Atrox Soldier.

I arrived in the alien starter pf and immediately cut all annoying advisors short by razzing them rather rudely and running off to kill the usual plethora of Leets, Reets, Lizards, Snakeys etc.

I adamantly refused to spend a single IP in AR, RE and the usual staple soldier skillz... Instead I raised Shotgun and a staple of the other Skills, limiting myself to the bare necessary, saving Treatment, CL and nano skills till after leaving the basic pf.

Breaking with my tradition, I chose my toon to become a loyal employee of the corporation. The choice is based on making it easier for me to obtain affordable armor down the line to help me preserve credits for the uber expensive items I will be aspiring to buy later down the line.

I left the alien starter pf prematurely to hit the scene in Rome Green. Right now I am at lvl 4, wearing only the stuff I found on assorted leet bosses. As soon as I can afford it, I will don a medsuit which shall carry me through level 20. I figure that capitalizing on being able to use higher First Aid kits far outweighs the measly ACs you can get from lowbie armor.

I am still running around with the starter Assault Rifle but will do a higher QL mission later tonight as soon as I have the Medsuit fitted, and will get me a mission reward shotgun.

More to come soon!

Sid

crat critaura dont stack with MoP though.
    Lillagumman 220/24 Soldier stuff
    Shibari 220/14 Crat Shibari about to be reconfigurated stuff
    Froo 165/12 Adventurer
    no i dont have more alts.
    I miss Satenia
    Sith of Avatars Reloaded

Yep, it doesnt, i mentioned that there are 3 crit buffs available for him, not as a stack order

Oh, Sidarion, one more crit thingy you forgot about coffe.

Make a habbit of purchasing it from a friendly crat, it does not expire anymore and you can have backpack full of them. They give nifty 1%crit bonus for 5min. .
    Last edited by cerb; Dec 21st, 2005 at 02:45:52.
    Cerber - MA Bruiser

Dukatus - Choppah

I think you might find the Ithaca fits your plan better than the Krutt, at least that's the conclusion I've come to on my trader. It's hell of a lot faster, and fling recharge is also very quick on the Ithaca, not so on the Krutt. My Waltzing Queen is a buff gun and nothing more. You can get most of the AS required for an Ithaca by using a VE scope instead of alien.

On another note, the medium shotgun is an extremely underrated and underused option. I tend to use it when running RK missions and don't need the range and speed of the Ithaca.
    New Engine - Announced: June 2007 ETA: Soon™ I'm speechless (June 2015)
    Rebalancing - Announced: January 2009 ETA: December 21, 2012 Started! (April 2015)
    New TL7 Pets - Announced: March 2009 ETA: Uh...
    AS Changes - Announced: July 2009 ETA: TBA
    Parry/Riposte - Announced: October 2009 ETA: ??? Did it! (April 2015)
    Perk Changes - Announced: October 2009 ETA: Right after server merge Started! (April 2015)
    Breed Change - Announced: November 2009 ETA: Hell freezing They did it!!! (Oct 2012)
    Beta Server - Announced: January 2010 ETA: Pigs Flying Did it! (Feb 2014)

Thanks for your thoughts bockrocker!

And I completely forgot about the Crat Crit Crotfee...

One thing is for sure: The pair of starter guns sucks! I have made the switch from the solar powered rifle to the shotties... bleh.

Which of the Shotties were dual wieldable... I remember that I once rolled a Trader on RK-2 who dual wielded two shotties that looked like short Ithacas... decent damage, at least at low levels.

I so wanted to build my toon from scratch, but I guess I will kick-start its funding through my main after all. I will buy assorted stuff like Med-Suit, implants etc. (and two Globes of Clarity... on a lvl 4 toon... rotflol!!!... j/k... j/k).

I think I found myself a good lowbie gun for my starting levels...

How about the Chimera Shotgun? Very decent damage at QL 14, low req and quite fast...

It says in the description that it is made from a chimera leg... anyone knows where to get one?

Sid

Sid:

A dual-wield Shotgun is the S. A. Home Defender. Very nice shotgun too. I remember plenty of traders, advies, and other shotgun-wielders using this weapon in classic before SL.

Chimera Shotguns are made from parts that drop in the Jobe Backyard: I believe you need a chimera bone, a (something) stone (its like laughing, singing, etc.), and I think 1 more Item but I forgot. You should try checking some tradeskill websites since they might have the info on how to make them.
    ACCOUNT STATUS

Cancelled

This account was cancelled at:
    2006-01-01 14:48:52

That was my new year resolution concerning AO...

Thanks for the info, Gholden...

found the resources to make a chimera shotgun... anyone knows how to make the Notum Infused version?

I believe it is just the level of the Chimera bone that decideds if the gun is Notum Infused or not... could be wrong mind you! :P
    Changfei (145/11 Soldier) my new love child The Setup
    Furyangel (220/17 MP): General of Pantheon The Setup out of retirement
    Supercharged (50/5 NT twink) The Setup

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast