Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: OOC: Reporter Support System

Quote Originally Posted by Savoy
    Actually it would be useful to have a list of ASS journalists broken down by faction and dimension. I get asked all the time if I know any journalists, I guess because I was on the ASS program last time round.

We can't get the stories to you guys if we don't know who you are (okay I know you Assualtdk :-) )
    I agree.

I was one of those who applied and guess the app. got lost because I never received a reply either accepting or rejecting it, so it may be helpful to those who wished to be a reporter but were denied to be able to find an outlet.

While players do have viable options such as Newland News (RK2) or IR News (RK1), some loyal employees or faithful rebels may wish to seek out an affiliated reporter to break their stories.
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Quote Originally Posted by alex11
    You know i dont want a personal fight here. And you typed "Forget" and its "Forgot".
    no it is forget.

also it's in not on as in in french (capitalize correctly honestly im just lazy)
    [All Towers] The omni organization loves Toxor .. awww.

[Clockwork Inc.] Toxor: !blacklist Mostadio this ****tard wouldnt make my carb :@
    [Clockwork Inc.] Omgbot: Thank you Toxor. Reputation / Blacklist info about Mostadio has been stored in the Clockwork Inc.-archives
    [Clockwork Inc.] Toxor: thats cool
    [Clockwork Inc.] Mostadio: ROOOOOOOOOFL
    [Org. Msg.] Mostadio kicked Toxor from your organization.

We'll be touching on the ASS in the meetings we're holding today and tomorrow, but to give you some information...

In regard to valid material, we're pretty open about what we'll consider, but in general it should be kept to in-game things -- in other words, events, parties, etc. which occur in game. You can write some fictional articles, things which promote player-level roleplaying storylines and such but did not actually occur in-game, as long as it does not conflict with existing story, incorporate legacy leaders (Zora, Silverstone, etc), alter the nature of existing stories, and so on. The articles should also deal with Rubi-Ka, and not other planets (though reasonably I suppose it may be possible to incorporate things like Omni-Prime into the mix, depending on what it is you are writing about).

We are deliberately a little vague about what is valid versus what is not simply because it is our intent to try to be as considerate as possible in terms of what stories are allowed. We consider each article that is submitted. That said, though, as always certain material is absolutely not allowed. While we admire the creativity that went into writing an article about how Eco Red wrapped his yalm around a Whompa while joyriding under the influence of aquavit and marijuana with Zora and Rita Prestin, there are a number of obvious reasons why we would not post such a thing.

Now, about features of the ASS... Guardian Dernial and myself have been working to resolve a number of issues with the ASS. Between the two of us we've already gotten some of the smaller issues and bugs fixed. There are a lot of other fixes, changes, and new implementations on our list, however, and getting them all put in place will inevitably take a bit of time.

The latest version of the ASS should hopefully be up and running by the end of next week, just note that this particular version is not a really visible change. Most of what was altered were small things in the background, e-mail distribution lists (and by what criteria they are generated), some minor bugfixes, etc.

Some new, larger changes in the pipeline include:
    • Fixing the approved queue issue. When an article is edited and the changes are approved by the author, the article is not returned to any queue and no notification of approval is sent to the ASS editors and integrators. Often results in delay between the time an article is approved to the time it is published.
    • Attachable image support. This has been an intention since the very beginning but deciding on the standards (e.g., how many, how large, etc) has been the issue.
    • Auto-linking by name. Instead of typing out in the comments box "I want Player123's name to show up as a link to his bio", the author would just surround the name in brackets (e.g., {Player123}) and the finished, approved article would be automatically converted into the necessary UBB formatting, including a link to Player123's bio.

The list is always growing of ideas, so if you have any ideas or suggestions as to how the ASS can be improved, don't hesitate to let us know.

*Edit: My keyboard pwnd me. Fixed a couple typos.
    Last edited by Nevarstiyeh; Mar 25th, 2006 at 17:11:08.
    Director Nevarstiyeh
    Events Team
    Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Contact the Events Department: events-feedback@ark.anarchy-online.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nevarstiyeh
    Attachable image support. This has been an intention since the very beginning but deciding on the standards (e.g., how many, how large, etc) has been the issue.
    Oh my god.

LETS CELEBRATE!!!!!!
    i win teh internets
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpacket
    omg luk i h4ve 12 yrs & i sw3r cuz i'm s000 l33t
    Quote Originally Posted by Tysken View Post
    its always these damn problems.. 24/7 6 days a week..

XD

Exclamation

Nevarstiyeh could you let us know how many Editors are currently on your staff for Atlantean and Rimor?

There is a bug in the ASS:

If you use quotes in the title of the article like: Interview with Mr. "Name" Lastname then after being submitted it will show as: Interview with Mr. (without the "Name" Lastname).

I wasn't aware of this until I submitted my latest article.

I have an article that was last edited on 7-13 and for some time has been sitting on the approved status for publication. I know it's not an earth shattering article or anything like that but I was wondering if there is a back log of articles waiting to be published.

Quote Originally Posted by Zemkarik
    I have an article that was last edited on 7-13 and for some time has been sitting on the approved status for publication. I know it's not an earth shattering article or anything like that but I was wondering if there is a back log of articles waiting to be published.
    Contact the Events Department: events-feedback@ark.anarchy-online.com

Best way, trust me on this.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Not Found

The requested URL /cr/ass/login.php was not found on this server.
    Where did ASS go? been waiting about a week for an article to be reviewed, now the system is down?
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).

System looks fine to me, your article is down as waiting for your approval from what I see Windie.

Quote Originally Posted by Lornavash View Post
    System looks fine to me, your article is down as waiting for your approval from what I see Windie.
    Maybe a temp problem with the site, hmm....ok checking now....next time I'm gonna take a screenshot so u don't know Im nuts.

Ok, it's there, fixed a typo and resubmitted, ready for publication...now...how do I apply to become an editor? =P

While we are gladly still accepting applications for Freelance Reporters unfortunately we have never considered the prospect of allowing Freelance Editors as well, even if there were such a role said individuals would be unable to speed up the editorial process on their individual articles as editing one's own article defeats the point of having an editor's fresh pair of eyes on it.

The problem herein however is that in freelancing out editors, that leaves our reporter team with very little since they are heavily focussed on editing moreso than publishing.

At this time I'm going to say that unfortunately no, we don't have positions for Freelance Editors.

Quote Originally Posted by Lornavash View Post
    While we are gladly still accepting applications for Freelance Reporters unfortunately we have never considered the prospect of allowing Freelance Editors as well, even if there were such a role said individuals would be unable to speed up the editorial process on their individual articles as editing one's own article defeats the point of having an editor's fresh pair of eyes on it.

The problem herein however is that in freelancing out editors, that leaves our reporter team with very little since they are heavily focussed on editing moreso than publishing.

At this time I'm going to say that unfortunately no, we don't have positions for Freelance Editors.
    Ok, let's say that...me, Noticiero steps down as a Reporter and want to take up the mantle of Editor. Then there is no conflict of interest is there? Consider it.

Also you have list of reporters from each dim, however not what FACTION they are, which would be VERY helpful to people seeking to contact reporters from their own side.

/tell helpbot whois <nickname>
    Free Souls
    --------------------------
    Rubi-Ka for the neutrals! And xp for tradeskills!
    Rimor Roleplay Channel (/tell Nrpb !join)
    -------------------------
    OUT OF BUSINESS!
    Mummu's Sound Bag v1.19; A custom Voice Pack for Notum Wars now working with 15.7 html chat system!

Quote Originally Posted by Mummu View Post
    /tell helpbot whois <nickname>
    Never assume roleplayers know how to use a bot, specially new arrivals =P

Such a change is currently not possible.
    But we will see if there is way to make it possible.

Suggestion for additional feature.

At the bottom of each freelance article you could add:

Do you wish to contact the reporter that wrote this story? click here to send him a grid-mail!

Ah no. We can't do that.
    But if a reporter wishes such a line at the end of his article he is free to write it.

additionally, don't forget that you can also contact relevant authors via this page:

http://arf.ark.funcom.com/events/reporters/

If you wish to get them to write about something going down in your neighbourhood or simply to provide feedback on one of their articles.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast