Thread: Hardcore Mode AO

Post Hardcore Mode AO

So I was looking at my characters, and wanted to try something new. Since I have 7 already (6 are under 100, 1 is 150+) and I already had a Fixer, Engineer, Bureaucrat, Adventurer, Enforcer, Agent, and Doctor, I really wasn't sure what to play next.. something practical, and soloable.. so instead of joining the huge deluge of MAs that flood Rubi-ka I made myself a Soldier.

Now, even though I know Solitus is the best breed for soldier for a variety of reasons (not least of which is MK X before 192 or so) I decided to make him an Atrox. All my other chars have been Nano, Opifex, or Solitus (and in hindsight, given full consideration for a good character, I'd never make an atrox or nano breed, but..) so I decided I wanted something different, and kind of silly.

I also decided a few things, for my final character.

1) I'm not going to die.

2) I'm going to explore the lands of each faction, as that faction.

3) I'm going to focus on getting my own gear, despite the fact that I could use my fixer or adventurer to easily blitz for it.

The No Dying thing really puts a different spin on how the game works for me. There are a lot of situations, such as blitzing equipment, or extremely risky teams (docless 190+ team missions anyone?) where I consider my character's life to be pretty much a disposable resource. Now, I'm not actually going to delete my Soldier if (when) he does die, but I'm thinking I'll keep a log of what level he was, and what killed him, surely.

In order to fulfill point 2, I started as Neutral. Since I don't like the Neutral starter map selection, I deleted them immediately. Saw Newland and surrounding area, Saw Borealis, woo hoo. Around 15 I went Omni, and installed the Omni starter maps, since you can install all the maps from all the other starter packs with relatively low skill, while the omni pack has Galway County in it (600 skill.) As soon as my timer is up, I'm going clan, and am going to spend probably up to 75 or 100 as a clanner.

Point 3 is really something I do with all of my characters when I can. Things I consider an exception to this are credits and implants. I gave my soldier 1m credits to start with, and at level 20 he's down to maybe 972k, so he's certainly earning enough to not be gut-bleeding funds wastefully. However, since I do have the resources available, I see no reason to waste MY time duplicating effort. And about implants.. it's so much easier to shop with a bigger (and faster) character.. it becomes more of an issue of my time again, rather than any character obligations, when building these. No way anyone other than my fixer gathers components for any of my characters' implants.

I don't know if anyone will appreciate this passage, maybe I feel more like typing than playing at the moment, but anyway a friend I've been trying to con into making a hardcore char to play with me (it's really hard playing a no-mortality character with the random people out there these days) suggested I should post about 'my silly hardcore thing.' I suppose the fact that I am doing this may be a testament to the lack of other things to do in the game. You be the judge.

P.S. Please don't sell those IMI Tellus receptacles to the vendor, contact Mongbat ingame if you'd like to pawn one off to me. Edit: Mongbat spends his own money on these things, so don't try to rake me over the coals on price, because you won't get it.
    Last edited by Red Falcon; Aug 3rd, 2002 at 05:31:32.

1 tip , don't siwtch sides, you need tokenz

oh and you are going to die if you aer going to pvp and if you want to make a hardcore player without pvp its a waste.

I guess it wasn't clear I wanted something different. I've already mentioned I have 7 other chars, which I can/do PVP with.

And golly, I guess I forgot to consider 'tokenz.' No, I considered that, and I don't care. I'll get them easily enough 100+ after my last side change.

To clarify, I wasn't asking for (or needing) tips, but describing where my boredom has most recently lead me. Uh.. thanks anyway.

You are not alone

For whats it worth, you are not alone in finding the thrills of Diablo2 like hardcore playing more entertaining.
    Gives a whole new aspect to the game trying to crack open the first room when there are three club-wielding Atroxes in it

Also found that playing that way is not really group-friendly.

I went Adventurer for access to heals. Mirror Shield may have been a better choice for cut'n run

Tommy

oh sorry for giving you tips ugly flameboy, geez crawl down a hole will ya.

Originally posted by Wrob
    oh sorry for giving you tips ugly flameboy, geez crawl down a hole will ya.
    Hmmm... let the battle of the "witz" begin.

(I know where I'm putting my money. )