Damn, it’s good to be back home. That’s what I thought as I sat down up on a ledge that overlooks the Borealis to Newland whom-pah.

It was one o’clock in the afternoon on a beautiful day and I could see all of the people running to and fro below me, going about their business. I had noticed the changes to the streets of Borealis when my shuttle had first lowered me into the city, but now I took note of the details.

Just as I was doing so, a call crackled on my old com, “Excuse me, Doc? Can you give me a SFA?”

I chuckled to myself, “Not everything has changed at least.” Then called over my com, “Sure thing, where ya at?”

-------

I met the fixer who had called me, I didn’t know her. I didn’t seem to know anyone here anymore after being off-world for so long. I guess my old buddies had either retired, moved or somehow suffered perma-death. I hoped not the latter.

We exchanged buffs in front of the whom-pah to Newland. I gave her the SFA she needed and she graced me with a buff to my run speed.

Ahh hell, I thought. Now I’ll have to take a real tour of this place, can’t waste a good run buff.

I proceeded to run and jump all around Borealis like a bead of water dances when you drop it on a suns-heated rock in the Newland Desert. I don’t think anyone noticed me, I think I zipped by too fast for anyone to even register me. There’s nothing like a good run buff. Damn, I missed those too.

I could swear that Omni-Tek had somehow lowered the gravity on Rubi-Ka somehow. I seemed to be able to jump higher than ever before. Of course running too fast I couldn’t really take a proper “tour”. Meh, I’ll do that later.

I ended up with a run around Newland and saw the old picnic area next to Neuters ‘R’ Us. Geez, that brings back memories. As a new doctor years ago I attended a Doctors Symposium here. All of us Healing Hands sitting with the others, but our funky white with red uniforms making us stand out. Sure they looked a tad silly, but it was a great thing to be a part of.

I ran my hand along the half-rusted surface of one of the tabletops and sighed.

Maybe it was time for a drink. I headed into Neuters.

----------

Upon stepping into the bar I was assaulted with the same annoying, pounding music they always used to play. Ugh. If that was the same, I’m not even going to go into the bathrooms.

As usual for this time of day, the bar was pretty much empty. I did notice however that there seemed to be a couple of new barflies that looked as if they’d never seen the light of day. One was a self-proclaimed ladies man, the other was a priss.

“One Setting Sun Sake on the rocks, please,” I ordered as I stepped up to the bar, trying to avoid the other patrons. Too bad they didn’t have Rising Sun here, what a hole.

I finished my drink and decided to leave as soon as possible. Why did I go in there in the first place, bleh.

Exiting Neuters I wasn’t in the mood for anymore drinks, not even a good one. I thought a moment on what I should do next and decided I’d like to see if ICC was still the same. Not that it’s a very interesting place, but I had missed everything about Rubi-Ka while I was gone.

When I reached the whom-pahs I considered taking a flight in my yalm around Newland Desert, but decided I’d save that for another day. Instead, I zoned into ICC.

Everything there was just about exactly as I’d left it, except the statue in the middle. Somehow it was uglier than before. Or perhaps it was a different statue altogether? I didn’t really have too much time to ponder it because my com signaled again that I was being paged.

“Doctor Flowers, this is Omni-Med central. Please report for briefing on your new assignment.”

I sighed. Why did I ever join Omni-Tek? I used to be perfectly happy as a neutral.. once.

But, things happen. One too many relationships gone sour, an organization dissolved before my eyes that was once my lifeblood. I guess that drained the good sense from me.

Well, it’s too late now. I’ve signed my soul over to Omni-Tek for a quick spaceflight out of bad memories only to return a year and a half later, a slave to the corporation.

I clasped my com shut and jumped in my yalm. It was time to get to work.