Thread: *** I'M GOING BLIND!!!!!!! *** Low Light Scopes

*** I'M GOING BLIND!!!!!!! *** Low Light Scopes

Well I finally bought myself a couple of pre-nerf low light scopes (a +1% crit for my low level alt, and a +7% crit for my soldier main).

So I am all excited... I get some implants and a weapon smithing tutoring device and equip the +1% crit scope to my trader alt.

KAPOW the word gets super bright! I take off my night vision goggles, STILL BRIGHT.

If you use a low light scope are you DOOMED to permanent green/night vision look?

This is fine for night time or some mission areas, but during the day it is nice to see the world in a normal state. AO is a beautiful game, and it would be a real shame to have to constantly be living under the green, washed out color of the low light/night vision effect.

Is there a visual option that can toggle this effect on/off?

Is there a way to turn off this effect without unequipping the low light scope? (with the implants and buffs that will be needed to use it, you really can't be taking it on and off just because its daytime in the city).

I really want to use these scopes I paid quite a bit of money for, but it is even more important to be able to enjoy AO's graphics!
    Primordiax RPG - Our World, Your Imagination
    http://www.primordiax.com

Muckbeast - MMO Game Developer Blog
    http://www.muckbeast.com

There's an option that turns the nightvision effect off... like Turn off others effects or Turn off other effects... hmm...something like that.

Should be in your visual or enviroment options.
    Azton - 201 Martial Artist, Member of Ragnarök
    Meltim - Inactive Agent

Are you sure? I just tried those and it had no effect.

If there is an option, does anyone know what it actually is?

It should be that one. You need to zone though to apply the change.
    Azton - 201 Martial Artist, Member of Ragnarök
    Meltim - Inactive Agent

Ugh! You have to zone to make the effect kick in? =(

Has anyone started a movement to try and get Funcom to enable an on/off switch on the scope, or a better way to toggle this?

Surely they don't expect people to have 1500+ perception or ~900 electrical engineering just to use a scope and not be blinded during the day time (and not be able to enjoy the nice graphics).

Re: *** I'M GOING BLIND!!!!!!! *** Low Light Scopes

Originally posted by Cindrax
    Well I finally bought myself a couple of pre-nerf low light scopes (a +1% crit for my low level alt, and a +7% crit for my soldier main).
    Hmm, what I don't understand is why do ppl want a pre-nerf scope lower that 8%? U can get a QL250 new scope with 8% critt, no night vision. The new scopes uses perception, but an adv. (and fixer?) can buff perception (adv up to 680).

Edit: Ok I se u are lvl 73?, that can be a problem with the perception buff, the higher percep. buffs. requre u to be higher lvl...(
    Last edited by Ravndal; Aug 2nd, 2002 at 10:44:03.
    Apprentice Ken "Ravndal" Fecat
    196 Adventurer
    Squad Commander of Mayhem.

Well, I got the +1% from a friend for free. So that is why I got that. I got the +7% for a good deal as well, so I went ahead and bought it.

But you raise a very interesting point about the scopes. I am starting to wonder if I am better off selling me +7% scope and just seeking out the ones that are perception based for my soldier. It seems like that might be safer than jacking up elec.eng and weapon smithing when I might not be able to find/afford scopes higher than +7% in the future. (and further, that low light effect really sucks).

The question becomes, how hard is it to find bigger + to crit perception/vision enhancer scopes, and how hard is it to find the right buffs to get perception up (do the adv and fixer buffs stack?).

Smile

Originally posted by Cindrax
    The question becomes, how hard is it to find bigger + to crit perception/vision enhancer scopes, and how hard is it to find the right buffs to get perception up (do the adv and fixer buffs stack?).
    Easy, solo mission reward items, and sorry I don't know if the fixer & advs buffs stacks (don't think it does). The vision enh. scopes for now goes to QL250, 8%.
    Last edited by Ravndal; Aug 2nd, 2002 at 10:51:49.
    Apprentice Ken "Ravndal" Fecat
    196 Adventurer
    Squad Commander of Mayhem.

It sounds like you are of the opinion that the vision enhancer scopes (perception based) are superior to the low light ones. Is this a correct assessment of your opinion?

Is the fact that they drop in the game, and thus are easier to get, a big reason for this?

LLTS vs Vision Enhancer

The reason som people still want to use the old LLTS/ELLTS scopes is because the Vision Enhancer gives a slight penalty to Nano Init and the old ones don't. It's also easier to equip a scope with high critt % at lower levels. The new scopes on the other side have less penalty on ranged/phys/melee inits when you compare on equal critt . They also gives a higher modifier on aimed shot and range increase when you compare on equal critt %. For classes that need to have their nano init maxed the new scopes are a bad option imo. For classes that don't need this and want the benefit of better range and maybe a higher bonus to aimed shot you should use the new scopes up to 8% critt.

Hope that made some sense!
    Felix Dimmufodr Age : lvl220 Agent

Interesting.

So for my soldier, the new style scope is better, since nano init is meaningless to me, but less ranged init penalty is important.

(then there is the added benefit that the vision enhancer doesn't screw up your graphics)

It also seems to be a LOT higher to get perception buffed up rather than buffing up 2 trade skills.

I heard a rumor that Funcom was going to make the nightvision effect be on even with "other effects" off. I'm sure they won't add a switch to the oldschool scopes to make them more viable. I don't have the time to dig up that thread now, I might do it later.

edited for lousy typing...I blame the beer
    Last edited by Elizabetha; Aug 2nd, 2002 at 17:13:26.
    Katelin "Elasii" McCovery

Elizabet "Elizabetha" Suitt (retired soldier)

Division 9 R.S.G.E

Originally posted by Elizabetha
    I heard a rumor that Funcom was going to make the nightvision effect be on even with "other effects" off. I'm sure they won't add a switch to the oldschool scopes to make them more viable. I don't have the time to dig up that thread now, I might do it later.

edited for lousy typing...I blame the beer

You are right, they will make it impossible to turn off the Nightvision, and impossible to turn off the blind effect. Both effects can be turned off by unmarking the "other effects".
    President of Ali Baba and the 40 thieves

Garzu 193 Day 1 NT & Garzuperman My Fixer 4 fun since NTs are broken

GA3/4 DESPERATELY NEEDED!!

few facts for anyone interested
    • the new QL250 scope has no nanoinit penalty.
    • QL250 scope is +315 aimedshot, -425 melee/ranged/phys init, +8% crit, +41% range, and requires 826 perception
    • advent/fp:advent buff Eagle eye can be cast on anyone for 24NCU and raises perception +80 Aimedshot +20.. it stacks with the wolf line of perception buffs to allow +200, +280, +480, +680 depending on your level.
    • level 25+ can get +120 perception with lupus oculus but requires wolf form during cast so you will need 32NCU or more to get the buff but 15 of that can be freed after you get the perception buff.
    • Level 75+ players can get +200 perception +14 evades from Vision of the wolf, NCU cost 29 (+wolf during cast)
    • Level 135+ players can get +400 perception +26 evades +15hp (wtf?) for 39 NCU (+wolf during cast)
    • TL6 advents can cast +600 perception buff with some external buffs on ~TL6 players.
    • for 22 NCU a fixer can raise B&E trap disarm and perception by +79, it also stacks with the advent perception buffs
    • I have no idea if there is a general perception buff.

Exclamation The Vision Enhancer effect nano init

Yes i know that the describtion on the Vision Enhancer doesn't say anything about effects on nano init, but it does give a negative effect on them. You'll notice the effect it has if you watch the stats on nano init when you equip the Vision Enhancer. Just wanted to make that clear as I'm playing a profession that depends on high nano init.
    Felix Dimmufodr Age : lvl220 Agent

Re: The Vision Enhancer effect nano init

Originally posted by Dimmufodr-Xebiche
    Yes i know that the describtion on the Vision Enhancer doesn't say anything about effects on nano init, but it does give a negative effect on them. You'll notice the effect it has if you watch the stats on nano init when you equip the Vision Enhancer. Just wanted to make that clear as I'm playing a profession that depends on high nano init.
    lower QL versions of it have a nanoinit penalty, QL250 has no penalty to nano init depending on your level you hardly need any skill in perception to equip it with buffs. I have no idea if the rest of the perception buffs I didn't list that exist stack with the advent ones or not.

Stack the Odds/Karma Harvest and Blood Makes Noise will stack with Vision of the Wolf and its big brother, but Eagle Eye will not stack with Blood Makes Noise

Stack is +79/22, Karma +130/47 (Karma overwrites Stack), and Blood Makes Noise is +107/36.

So, at 135 you can get +400 Advent, +237 Fixer, for a total of +637. (As a note, the Fixer Perception line are 11.xx nanos, with no level reqs on the target or caster.)

With storebought QL125 head/eye/ear Perception implants (bumped to 128s), you can get a total of +775 Perception with no IP spent at all.

Figure you'll have at least 70 or so base Perception just from stat bonus increases at level 135, and that QL250 scope will fit right in with room to spare. You can stretch it even further with bigger implants, of course, and actually SPENDING IP in Perception. A +15% QL400 scope should be quite possible for most TL6 players to get on, despite its 1501 Perception req. Though an 800 point Init penalty is harsh..

After doing the math and looking at IP costs, I simply sold all of my +4 through +8 LLTS scopes, the VE for me was a better item.

I'd say the 8% VE is the "sweet spot" for the line, inits are able to be compensated for, it's a low/no IP investment item by the time you are 135 (and by which time you should have enough init to overcome the penalty). And no greenvision...
    You can run, or you can die. If you run, you just die tired.

Arrow New scopes

If they let us get higher than 250 loot in the future, the new scopes are better than the old ones at high qls.

The new scope at 400 has the same 15% crit, but more range (80%) more aimed (600) and only 1 skill that can be buffed a ton. (same -800 inits) It would be limited to title5 and higher people but many of them are maxing perception anyways. Its also cheaper for many classes to max perception than raise EE/Weapsmith. (agents/fixers for ex) Shining perception doesn't block anything, EE blocks rifle/aimed and weapsmith blocks MA.

The 250 new scope doesn't have -50 nano init.

Since the llts 'perfect 15' is ql194, I would guess that the new scope 'perfect 15' would be ~388.
    mercatura -ae f. [trade, traffic; merchandise]

Moved off-world and found real tradeskills...along with many other things