Thread: Please Help Me! I Must Be An Idiot!

Please Help Me! I Must Be An Idiot!

Hello, I must be the bumest human in the world. But I cant figure the OE formula out.

http://www.anarchy-online.com/conten...d/14_2/oe.html

Thats the link, It says:

The definition of over-equipped (OE) is: using a weapon if any one of the user's skills/abilities isn't within 20% of what the weapon requires. The formula is: OE = 100 - (Your buffed skill or ability / requirement in same skill) x 100. If this formula yields 20 or higher, your weapon/armour/item/pet is over-equipped.

How in gods name do I calculate that on a calculator. Iv tried all kinds of ways. But I can understand how the formula:

OE = 100 - (Your buffed skill or ability / requirement in same skill) x 100. works.

Can someone please help me out?

Say the weapon takes 946 in rifle

Say your rifle skill, after calculating all of your buffs (such as rifle expertise), totals 423

then:

type into your calculator the following 100- ( (423/946) * 100) = 50. Your weapon is 50% OE.

To check if a weapon is going to be OE you have to do the calculation for _every_ skill required to wield the weapon.

The one which gets the highest number in the calculation above decides how effective your weapon is.
    If you get a number between 20-40, your weapon functions at 75%
    between 40-60, the weapon functions at 50%
    between 60-80, the weapon functions at 25%
    80+ and the weapon will not function at all.

Or do it the easy way.

Multiply your skill + self buffs + permanent implants bonuses by 1.2, that's the maximum skill you can equip to via wrangles and temp implants without going over the limit.

Ie, you can "safely" use something with requirements that are 120% or less of your self-boosted skill.
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

Err no, I mean 1.2.

You can 'safely' equip something 20% over your own skill. That means the reqs of the item can be 120% of your self-buffed skill (the 100% of your self-buffed skill that you can self-equip, then 20% more from wrangles/ransacks or temp implants or both).

120% = 1.2 in decimal numbers. So, multiply your skill by 1.2 to find the max reqs you can equip safely.

Alternatively, divide the reqs on something by 1.2 to see what the minimum skill for 'maintaining' it without OEing is.

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

OE

Figuring out the OE for an item is pretty easy. You multiply the skill requirement by .8; this is what your skill needs to be after equiping the item so that it is not OE'd. For example, if a piece of armor has reqs of 230 str and 230 agil, your str and agil skill must remain 184 or higher to keep from OEing(230 * .8).

Helpbot can also help you out when trying to figure out OE.

Type:

/tell helpbot oe 120

And you'll get this:

Helpbot: With a skill of 120, you will be OE above 150 skill. With a requirement of 120 skill, you can have 96 without being OE.

So, for example, if you have 120 Pistol skill, you can use a gun requiring 150 Pistol, but one requiring 151 skill will count as overequipped and be penalized.

Also, if the gun requires 120 Pistol skill, then a Pistol skill of 96 will be enough to use it without being penalized. 95 Pistol would be OE though.
    Drusillus
    Band of Brothers

Level 143 Omni-Tek Chief Engineer

Curator of the Rubi-Ka Encyclopaedia of Armor

Originally posted by Jynne
    Err no, I mean 1.2.

You can 'safely' equip something 20% over your own skill.
    Actually, you can safely equip something 20% under the skill on the item you're using. That's not the same thing as 20% over your skill.

The easy way. Double the req on the item and divide by ten. Then subtract that from the req. That's what you need to have to use it.

Example:

My gun needs a 500 to use. This means 500 times 2, 1000, divide that by 10 is 100, take that away from 500, is 400. I need to have a 400 to use the gun without OE.

Remember the KISS principle. Keep It Simple Stupid
    Clan fixer, Fourth Title

Director of Information
    Analog Myth

Hmm interesting. Maybe I've been going out this whole OE calculation wrong... 20% over your own skill makes more sense to me but it's not what the article says either.

I'll have to test in-game when I get home. Give me something to do besides run missions

lol I made the same mistake, and I blame it on antiguardians

my rifle is 757.
    757*1.2=908

I am using a rifle with rifle requirements 946 and it is not oe

757*1.25=946.25

I am happy, because the rifle was on me and OE'd before I reached this level. This is experimental proof. Try it

On the other side, and if I sound condescending please forgive me, I've taught math before and this is a mistake I have seen all levels of people make, including many of my profs:

You have the calculations wrong. Your skill has to be at 80% of the requirements to wear something. So, if the requirements are 946, 946*0.8=756.6 (757).

Also, notice the following relationships:
    1/0.8=1.25
    1.25/1 = 0.8

while
    1.2/1 = 0.83 (83%).

If you use 1.2, then you are equiping things for which your skill is at 83%

If you use 1.25 you find out your correct maximum equippable weapon.

Based on the math as I see it, and as it has worked for me so far:

(Skill Required for weapon) * 0.8 = skill you need to use it withouht being OE

(Skill you have) * 1.25 = Maximum skill that you can equip without being OE.

Now, you're all suspended. You failed the "how to twink your character efficiently test". I'm calling your parents tonight to have your AO account disabled :P )

bah.

math sux

Omg im SOO cunfused now. I started this treath to get thing clear. But its gotten even worse =/

OK, I know for sure that a friend of mine can contol a pet req 874 with 699 in skill.

skill 699, req 874 and not OE caped. Thats why I started this treath couse my calulation didnt agree with the fact that he could control his pet.

Here i go!

FUNCOM way: 874/699=1.25 1,25x100=125-100=25
    In the Funcom post it says that a number over 20 is OE'd and I get the number 25 by using their formula. Should be OE then.

One i used: 874/1.20=728. He had 699 that lower then req.

And last one: 874x0.8=699.2 Get the correct answer. But shouldent the fomrula thats in the game be the coreect one? :P

Im more confused now then ever before.

funcom post does not say 20% more than the skill you have.

It says 20% less than the skill you need.

what they said: if the skill you need for equipping is 100, your skill (so you won't be OE) should be 80

what some people understood: your skill is 100, then the skill you can equip is 120. This means that if your skill is 80, then you can equip something at 96.

here's a nice little chart (the numbers in bracket are what you should punch into the calculator to get from one skill to the other):

Skill to equip weapon | your skill:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    10 (= 8*1.25) | 8 = (10 *0.8)
    100 = (80*1.25) | 80 = (100 * 0.8)
    120 = (96*1.25) | 96 = (120*0.8)
    125 = (100 * 1.25) | 100 = (125*0.8)
    x = y*1.25 | y = x * 0.8

you have your numbers mixed up in funcom way BTW

this should have been the calculation:
    699/874=0.8; 0.8x100=80;100-80 = 20

you made two mistakes:
    (1) 699/874, not 874/699
    (2) 100-125, not 125-100.

:P

As i wrote as thred subject: I must be the dumbest person in the world. Maby thats not true, but I didnt pay to much attetion on the math-classes. I see that now :P

Ty so much for the help man =)