Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Funcom: How to implement a fair IP reclaim scheme

With the ip exploits Funcom knows how many total ip points any level character has had. I could work it out how many do you get to start with 5,000 so a level 5 character 25,000 and so on.

Now all you need to do is calculate the assigned values for example if a dark blue skill is 397 this equals 1,300,128 ip if a light blue skill is 127 this equals..........then add them up.

A level 5 character 25,000 ip with total assigned skills to the value of 25,120. Mandatory reset as the value does not match.

As far as the optional reset goes I would like to be able to do it on my Doc or have the freedom arms with the low dual wield req returned to the game.

Re: Why not forget your skills?

Originally posted by Kirstii
    Can't remember which thread it was in but some one suggested that at every level you can reduce any of your skills by the same amount (or less) as you can raise them. (3-5points?)
    You would also recover some, if not all of the IP from the lowered skill.

This would simulate the "real world" effect of skills faiding with time...
    I dont see any problems here, you could cange your skills over time.
    Even get a message like: "Your base abilities are too high to lower this skill"

I also like the once per character reset (after lvl 50) idea.

Something needs to be done, thats for sure. I dont wanna reroll - havent got the time.

We are in the 30th millenia (sp?), we should have mapped our memory and brain patterns by now
    ::Godkill - Forsaken Enforcer::
    :: Level 200 and rising ::
    "this letting atroxes get away with murderously stupid things simply by saying "<- trox" is a breed/prof advantage." - Thyrra

How about?

I've scan read the best I could all the above ideas, but I did not see mentioned something like:

Every level you are able to decrease a skill by the same number of points that you could increase it. eg, T&S you can raise by 5 per level, so you should be able to lower it 5 points per level and reclaim the IPs.

It doesn't cost any credits (some people have too many ), isn't based on real time or Rubi Ka time (you could just keep your character logged on) and it I really can't see an obvious way it could be exploited. I mean, you could invest in a skill, say Shotgun, equip your weapon (lets say at level 50) and then start claming back your IPs, but I cannot see someone at level 100 still with a QL50ish Shotgun NOTE: This is an example, not fact

What do you think?

It would allow my character for example to relcaim all the IPs I put into *blushes* Quantum Force Field Technology or Chemistry.

Maybe this could be combined with a once off full IP reset (to purge out those IP exploiters)?
    Last edited by edict; Mar 1st, 2002 at 07:19:44.
    edict
    Clan Archdeacon

"Nothing worth while is ever easy"

I read the first message and skipped all the rest, so maybe this has been discussed, but there is a problem with that scheme. Giving people the opportunity to reset multiple times is an exploit in itself.

What's to stop someone from one day deciding to be a great nano-programer and making his/her implants, then going over and reseting to put his/her treatment way up...waiting the 4 days and so on...the possibilities are out there, they just haven't been thought of yet.

Something like that would be dangerous in one way or another, people always find a way to corrupt

Now, having a "total IP reset" that resets everything to zero and redistribute - once. That would be cool, especially for those of us who played out their first character I know I have some IP's spent in some utterly useless places....um lets see...adventuring? OH...you mean you don't have to WEAR the backpack?!?! @#@$$@$##%
    "Your village called...their idiot is missing"

Psilex (Agent)
    Smokegirl (Nano-tech)
    Tylerdurdon (Bureaucrat)

Proud Member of:
    Omni-Tribunal
    Omni-Pol

I like Snarfs Idea over the 1 time event.

This will keep GM and ARK's from getting newbies complaining about how they wiped their IP at lvl5 and now at lvl10 want to do it again.

-Mega

yeah, BUT

THERE SHOULD BE NO IP WIPES. In real life can you hop back in time and change what you learned in high school?? no you can't you are stuck with what happened early in your life and how it is going to shape your future. I would be extremely disappointed in Funcom if they proceeded with the IP wipe.

Snarf there is no such thing as a fair IP wipe scheme. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, in REAL life, skills that you use arent all of a sudden takin away from you either. For example. Tutoring ( the ONLY skill in which I have IP that I would like to reclaim. I was a newb and it was green when i was putting IP into it ) but... WHAT GOOD IS IT?!?!?!?! NONE!!!!!!! A completley WORTHLESS stat that only serves the prupose of putting a little green bar across my screen. And How am I supposed to know this as a newb? NOT A CHANCE I WOULD!!! What about that? How was I to know as a Newb that this skill would be TOTALLY un-useable for me. ( I put a little into Weaponsmithing as well, but figured it out REAL fast it was worthless to me, so I dont care about that )
    Last edited by Turin; Mar 6th, 2002 at 14:55:29.
    Nitsobar - lvl 219/13 Doc - Equipment - Perks - History
    MrBruce - lvl 204/6 MA - Equipment - Perks - History
    MsHackalot - lvl 123/9 Twink Fixer - Equipment - Perks - History

Veterans of Synergy Factor

Click to email me

It is 'proved' that learning something, and letting it 'unlearn' itself by not using it for a while doesn't set you back at 0.

Learning things does 'expand' your mind. Thus, you can use past experiences to learn new things. It's not time travel, but as close as you get to it in this matter.

For example, during school, I took German classes for 4 years. I haven't used it since, so I can't say I can speak/write it. However, it gave me a better insight in how languages in general (mostly European ones) works gramatically. It has helped me when I've tried to comprehend languages I don't exactly know. So yes, I can reuse past knowledge in the future.
    *poof*

Finally free from this nightmare!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Valen
    [B]

Why not fix pistols instead of wiping IP's?

I agree, fix the problem. Whats about the 200 points I have in tutoring before i realized it was useless? Fix tutoring? I wish that were the case. I wish it would happen. It might EVETUALLY. Should YOU have to wait for FC to fix a problem THEY created, while suffering from the "When IP goes bad" scheme?
    Nitsobar - lvl 219/13 Doc - Equipment - Perks - History
    MrBruce - lvl 204/6 MA - Equipment - Perks - History
    MsHackalot - lvl 123/9 Twink Fixer - Equipment - Perks - History

Veterans of Synergy Factor

Click to email me

FadeBlack

Why do people have to be so specific

Why do people have to be so specific about potential fixes? The ideas I've seen posted have all been very specific as to "being naked". I presume this is so no "fake" or enhanced IP totals get loaded in to the system.... If that is the case, is Funcom's code that terrible? And are the programmers so ignorant as they cannot follow their own code and see where alterations will cause problems? Really?

No, the point is that people wouldn't be able to raise say comp literacy high enough to equip a 6 slot belt and full NCUs, and the when the reset comes, they can get back the IP spent there.

Not the best example, but you get the point.
    *poof*

Finally free from this nightmare!

Your "brain washing" machine is exploitable

As a fixer i would love an IP wipe. Right now i need all the points i can get to keep all those myriad skills that i need at a decent level. And boy did i make stupid choices early on.

If you are looking for a logical in game explanation for it... have them kill us for it. With every death they clone you a new body.

Death is not permanent on Rubi-Ka.

Just have it made known that a certain "special" Terminal is faulty and won't allocate your skills after death. <edit> make the terminal in a way to make it VERY clear it is the IP wipe terminal to make SURE it won't be used by mistake and that people can't say they where not aware it was that one, use a different color or surround it with docs or something or engineers trying to fix it, have them warn players coming close that it is faulty and the bug is an ip wipe <end edit>

Player goes to the nearest inssurance terminal and saves his character so he/she won't lose xp. Then goes to the faulty terminal and clicks it and gets killed in the process. make it so the terminal does'nt work if you have anything on your person, be it bags, equip or implants.

By using the faulty terminal your player gets flagged as "reset" seen only by the game itself to prevent the user to redo his/her character over and over again. Would be up to Funcom to allow future wipes in the event that game mechanics change enough to warrant it.

Sure they could implement a complex and mathematically sound system for ip re-allocation but the more complex the more room for error. And the more ressources it takes to implement.

I think the simpler the better.
    1 = save your char.
    2 = get naked.
    3 = Click the term, Die , Resurect at the reclaim terminal and your IP wiped clean.

Simple, Elegant and gets the job done.

Take as much time as you want to allocate your skills.

The price of using the faulty term is that all your maps and map upgrades have been lost in the process. If you are level 50+, spending 10K-50K buying back your maps and upgrades ( if it costs that much ) is a very small price to pay to have a character you will be happy with and will now be able to make informed choices about his/her abilities.

Easiest i've seen reading this thread bar having an Ark person stand in Tir/Omni-Trade/Newland to do it for us in a limited time period.
    Last edited by Qinky; Mar 9th, 2002 at 13:44:31.

i suggest a 1 time all skill wipe first. but good ideea other then that
    Jamie "Kamaekazae" Rage
    [Enforcer] - [Atrox] - [Rubi-Ka 1]

Rage - Is it in you?
    So excited that i kicked my mom RIGHT IN THE FACE!

Achiever 73% - Killer 66% - Socializer 46% - Explorer 13%

Look at the obvious. Get naked and use the machine. If your character is built and designed in the "normal" relm of game play then you have no problem.

End result. You get back lost IP and or are able to recover IP spent from a miscreated character due to funcoms own lack of knowledge. Final result will be more personalized characters created through playing the game and not relying on a book or online source.

Where as on the other hand if your character uses game exploits and older bugs, then yeah you're screwed. You will lose the use of certain weapons and nano's. You will have to equip armor within a given range of your abilities(at least if ya want the most out of em). AND yes you will be braught down to non uber status.ohhhhhhhhhhhh no, you'll be dare i say...a casual gamer again..lol..just pickin.

but for a sarcastic note: God forebib we all are on the same lvl.

Anyway most of the old timers are already commin up with ways to get back into there weapons and nano's. So in the end it will mostley benifit ones like myself that followed the cookie cutter creation guide only to learn just how screwed the process is.

If ya don't like it don't do it. For all things there's a price, how much are you willin to pay. I know me and others can strip, reset and be back into battle in maybe 15 minutes.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345