Thread: Omni-mining report called for

Omni-mining report called for

Can you hear them sir? They'll be ringing in your ears sir. The death of the nanomages sir? Of course omni-mining lies of everlasting notum would be "Correct" if you asked someone unknowing of our cause. But where are the omni-tek dossiers on notum depletion! *slams folder on desk* Do you know what this is?
    This is OUR report, Our report that notum is drying up, So to speak.

Yes, You may say it is outdated, You may say it is poorly conducted But it is better than no report!

Omni-tek have wonderful fairy tale claims of infinite notum, Wheres YOUR report?!

Omni-tek say there is ways of protecting the nanomage offworld, Wheres YOUR report!

We have made ours public, Why not put many nanomage minds at rest and publish yours?

All i have seen, from your side, are short lies with no backing up.

My nanomage tounge screams, My mind pleads, for a time when this amazing world we live in, This beautiful glorius rubi-ka, will go unharmed.

I want a comprehensive report.

*Muge lights up a fine andromedan cigar*

Truth of the matter sirs, is that there is none of your proof, is there?

Thank you

-Muge "Gueve" Marxosis
    Last edited by Gueve; Oct 24th, 2005 at 12:17:14.
    No human being on the face of this glorius Rubi-ka, no goverment is going to take from me my right to speak, my right to protest against wrong, my right to everything that is for the benefit for magekind.
    I am not here to be accused!
    I am here as the accuser of omni-tek dripping with blood from head to toe!

When Injustice Becomes The Norm, Resistance Becomes A Duty.

Muge "Gueve" Marxosis

No replies?

Typical...

Are you keep us in the dark?
    No human being on the face of this glorius Rubi-ka, no goverment is going to take from me my right to speak, my right to protest against wrong, my right to everything that is for the benefit for magekind.

Muge "Gueve" Marxosis

Sadly Brother they will never offer you any proof of their claims because they are a money hungry corporation that has all it's eggs riding in this basket..

For them to admit the truth would mean loosing alot of those eggs.

Sad isn't it?

Mages and Troxian are the ones to loose everything if the mining continues..

But we are called terrorists..

~Iovermau
    *Assistant Medical Officer
    ** Nanomage Liberation Front
    ~ Roger "Shadowset" Garanti (Member Clan Assembly)
    ~ Andrew "Boomtastic" Domtar (Member Clan Assembly)
    ~ Ta "Bloudless" Butcher (Member of the NLF)
    ~ Caviler "Cynotor" (Member of the NLF)
    ~ Chef "Ironox" (Member of the NLF)

Public files on Shadowset
    Ironox and Cooking with Iron!

Hmph. Oh, we do have reports and interesting R&D documentation about your dear subject... But we don't give away that kind of information to terrorist organisations.

Omni-Mining
    This department oversees all mining operations on Rubi-Ka, Notum and otherwise. They also handle the allocation, out-of-corporation sales, and on-planet transportation of raw materials on Rubi-Ka. Due to a minor technicality that pre-dates Clan uprisings, Omni-Mining operates as an arm of Omni-Engineering, but has its own independent leadership. In addition, they have their own internal goals that include, but aren't limited to, anti-union enforcement and control of policing activity in mines and their associated facilities. Omni-Mining was once a quaint, quietly-run department, but once it was discovered that Clan activity originated in their men, they became much more authoritative and rigid.

Perhaps then maybe Omni-mining would be willing to share these documents with an independent news organization, specifically IR-News. One of the main purposes of this organization is the dispersement of accurate information to all people of Rubi-ka.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincentprice
    Hmph. Oh, we do have reports and interesting R&D documentation about your dear subject... But we don't give away that kind of information to terrorist organisations.
    So, in essence, You're saying "We dont like you, so we're not going to show you these papers so you can STILL hate us"

You like a fight dont you?

Muge "Gueve" Marxosis

Quote Originally Posted by Gueve
    So, in essence, You're saying "We dont like you, so we're not going to show you these papers so you can STILL hate us"

You like a fight dont you?
    No. It's not because "we don't like you". It's because you crazies have a tendency to destroy Omni-Mining property and even harm innocent civilians while doing it.

And what comes to press releases to news organizations Skyjester, that I can discuss with my superiors.

Omni-Mining
    This department oversees all mining operations on Rubi-Ka, Notum and otherwise. They also handle the allocation, out-of-corporation sales, and on-planet transportation of raw materials on Rubi-Ka. Due to a minor technicality that pre-dates Clan uprisings, Omni-Mining operates as an arm of Omni-Engineering, but has its own independent leadership. In addition, they have their own internal goals that include, but aren't limited to, anti-union enforcement and control of policing activity in mines and their associated facilities. Omni-Mining was once a quaint, quietly-run department, but once it was discovered that Clan activity originated in their men, they became much more authoritative and rigid.

Hmm. I think I may be about to upset some people...
    Gueve, have you ever heard of researcher bias? The report you claim to be better than none is in fact merely propoganda to further your own cause. Anyone claiming that is a truly scientific study is a fool and a fear monger. I could ask if the growth in number of nano mages on Rubi Ka in any way correlates with the depletion of Notum... You know as well as I that it would, but is that the cause? By only looking at one possible cause you have rendered the report into a state where it is of less scientific interest than a used piece of toilet paper.
    I'm not saying that the report is completely without merit, but to take any kind of action on the basis of a single, flawed report would be foolish to the extreme.
    We should have learnt from the mistakes made on Old Earth that to act without understanding the problem can lead to catastrophe. Our history is filled with enironmental disasters inspired by those who had the right intentions, but lacked the knowledge needed and therefore caused havoc.
    I would agree that the depleting Notum your report shows suggests that there is something amiss, but are we sure there are not natural cycles in notum quantity? Can you tell me the source of Notum, and it's regeneration rates. The historical levels of Notum on Rubi Ka and it's previous fluctuations,? For without this data your report is meaningless.
    Have you considered the idea of holding an open, public debate, in which your ideas could be promoted to an audience which could listen to both sides. Present your data in a reasonable way, rather than with bombs and maybe people would listen instead of dismissing your organisation and your arguments as the crazed ideas of terrorists and fanatics.
    I await with interest any response to this. Will you claim my arguments have no weight and your report still stands, or will you acknowledge the fact that the report has major flaws and show yourself, and those who side with you to be reasonable people rather than mad bombers?
    Last edited by Judasmunk; Nov 30th, 2005 at 00:01:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Judasmunk
    Can you tell me the source of Notum, and it's regeneration rates. The historical levels of Notum on Rubi Ka and it's previous fluctuations,?
    Yet can anyone answer these question? No. Perhaps the Xan knew, but I tend to believe they did not either.

Everyone should be concerned that Notum mining is not sustainable in the extreme long-term, unless it is determined to have a high and efficient regeneration rate that it has yet to indicate.

Everyone should also be concerned over the long-term effect on the native and constructed inhabitiants of Rubi-Ka.

Certainly these issues are and will be subjected to debate, even long after their outcomes have been established history. I simply ask all parties to keep in mind of the possibility that Notum depletion may cause more harm than simply the collapse of our economy.

Have you considered the idea of holding an open, public debate, in which your ideas could be promoted to an audience which could listen to both sides. Present your data in a reasonable way, rather than with bombs and maybe people would listen instead of dismissing your organisation and your arguments as the crazed ideas of terrorists and fanatics.
    I await with interest any response to this. Will you claim my arguments have no weight and your report still stands, or will you acknowledge the fact that the report has major flaws and show yourself, and those who side with you to be reasonable people rather than mad bombers?
    First of, We present our ideas quite alot, since june we have used 1 bomb. We have presented our ideas hundreds upon hundreds of times. You talk of an audience that would listen to both sides, Wheres that audience? I sure as hell dont see one.

Yes our report still stands, And yes it has major flaws. You have mentioned that there are things we have not mentioned, Omni-tek hasnt mentioned anything. Therefore our piece of paper is more valid.

We are reasonable people, Come down to reets some time, I'll have a drink with you, have a nice chat, Hell I'll even buy your dinner. We seem to have been tagged with this "Mad bomber" idea, When we are hardly mad, We are only following the rules of the universe and everything inside it, Nothing lasts forever. If you say that notum is the sole exception to this, then maybe you are the mad one.

And Mining and omni-teks armed policy has, and will, claim more lives that that bomb ever did.

Muge "Gueve" Marxosis

Oh boy... I was hoping this debate would have been forgotten after a while of silence. Well, here goes...

Note that after a brief discussion with Director Moscardelli earlier, I am posting all this ignoring our normal company policy.
    The main reason why the personnel of Omni-Mining[IC] tend ignore discussions like this, is that it has been proven in the past that whatever statement we give, it will mostly receive commets like "OMNI-TEK LIES! YOU KILLERS" and so on, despite the facts provided. Not from everyone -of course- but there are certain individuals and groups who tend to react very passionately to the subject Notum.

But! To give at least some answers to all concerned, I will include here a recording of Director Moscardelli's speech to the public from November 29477.

*Plays recording*

Greetings citizens of Rubi-Ka,

As most of you know, I am Cristin Moscardelli, Director of Omni-Mining. I assume there is no need for an introduction of myself or Omni-Mining as a whole. I am glade to see many here today, interested in continuing discoveries and inventions in the vast world of Science. Science has always been important for me. It has made everything what it is today. That is why I am pleased to see all of you here. We are continuing the advancement of science and our understanding of our surroundings. But instead of speaking about science as a whole, I will get to the reason for me being here.

Notum. The very word speaks so many meanings. This one word describes an ore, a way of life, a source, and sparks many different emotional reactions. But why does it create so much reaction among people? For it is so important to our lives. No matter what breed you are. Notum itself created a new world literally and figuratively. Notum is the reason this great planet became so important. Notum also created a whole new variety of technologies not previously imagined by our ancestors. Some even depend on it for survival. This is why it has such emotional reactions, for the importance of this one ore is so grand.

Yet all great things have also great fears. The greatest fear of Notum is that it will disappear. This one fear has sparked deception, violence, paranoia, and entire radical groups. Omni-Mining despite its relaxed view on this, has always considered this as a possible outcome. Thus Omni-Mining has spent a lot of resources over many years to research into this fearful question. Yet the more we discovered and realized, the less fearful this question became.

I will first discuss the reasons behind some of the radical groups claiming that Notum is disappearing. This group being the Borealis Pact, specifically the Nanomage Liberation Front. For many months now, we all have heard their claims. After reading their statements on the gridfeed and other areas, the only concrete proof I have seen was two articles they constantly display. Yet these articles are just about a year old now. They are out of date and not worth using anymore. Not to mention these articles sources are unknown and not backed with references to research and observational proof. Both articles aren’t saying anything of truth.

One of these articles talks of inhabitance “feeling” the notum levels decreasing, even “losing” strength. Yet who are these inhabitance? The article says outlaws, ones living in small villages. Now what gets me to laugh is when something goes wrong everyone immediately thinks it’s the Notum levels. These inhabitance aren’t feeling anything. It’s impossible to feel notum levels to drop, which brings to question what they are feeling and from what external substance. Are these people mutants, notum addicts, animals? We don’t know thus not concrete evidence.

The second article mention about the Subway, blaming the mutants on insurance technology. Which in return blames on notum levels. I laugh again at this conspiracy theory. Many things can happen to create a mutant body. The most unmoral is experiments were done on the body but this mutant escaped, another is mutant reproduction, or toxic poisoning, or mutilation. I can go on and on of all different variables that contributes to the possible outcome of such mutants. The fact is the notum level is not to blame. If they levels were dropping a year ago, and continued to this day. Why haven’t we seen widespread mutant creation by insurance technology? We haven’t. Thus the levels have not dropped.

Now on to Omni-Mining’s observations. Notum is a very adaptable substance. It creates a certain amount and can increase that amount if needed. Yes I did say it creates. What do I mean? I speak of Notum rifts. They are widespread everywhere, some deep underground, other on the surface. Each contributes vast amounts of notum to the famous notum veins all around Rubi-Ka. Omni-Mining’s Exploration Sub-Department has discovered 314 Notum Rifts in the 30% tereaformed area of Rubi-Ka alone! 314, an amazing amount of rifts for a small area. Just imagine how many more are in the 70%. If you say there are 314 per 30% of area. Lets also say the remaining 10%, since 30 * 3 is 90, has 104 rifts, which is 314 / 3. Well that means that for the overall total of Notum Rifts on Rubi-Ka is 1046 Rifts! Another amazing number. Yet this is not conclusive. We may never know how many there are.

Each rift creates notum by regenerating notum. The Rift takes old notum flowing around and induces it back it to its pool like structure. The muti-elemental bodies of the Notum atomic structure splits creating two Notum elemental structures. This is usually seen in Biology know as Mitosis. The regeneration is similar to mitosis in nature yet it is not exact. This means that Notum on its own will create more Notum in the rifts. Omni-Mining Researchers have also discovered that when introducing spare unrefined notum, already mined, back into the rifts, it increases the output of new notum. A great find. Thus all notum not used in the refining process can be recycled back into the Rift system, regenerating the mined notum.

Yet one draw back is the rifts always create notum at the same speed. The regeneration never increases or decreases. Since we can not affect the regeneration process directly, yet. This may give some explanation of the “lower notum level” feeling effect. More notum is being taken from the vines but new notum is being outputted at the same speed. But does this mean that the notum will dry up? Not really. A surprising find in Rift 185-B, is that if more notum is taken out, more is regenerated. Why exacted is still unknown at this point. One idea is that since the vein is emptier then the surrounding vein, more notum flows in from the surrounding vein. Helping the regenerate process create more Notum to fill the gap.

What does this mean as an overall? This means that Notum is infinite. It is created by itself and it can be recycled. It is not like any other ore, since it grows. As long as the rifts stay active, there is no need to worry about Notum levels. Now you may question about rifts. Rifts can hardly be touched, for mining purposes. The Private towers only mine the surface level notum veins. While Omni-Mining’s bases mine deeper veins, but we never touch the rifts. For we know how valuable they are. Plus the cost of the special equipment needed to use a rift for mining purposes would just make it not worth it. Rifts themselves also grow. They are very slow and take many years. But since 28800, the time Omni-Mining discovered the rifts, we have seen at least 20 rifts grow.

Thus in conclusion, as we have always said, Notum is infinite. The ore itself regenerates by the aid of Notum Rifts. In which the rifts also grow. It’s a cycle that never ends. A cycle that has proven itself flexible and adaptable. Notum can never be used up. Such a thought is only a myth, a thought created by the paranoid fear of a few. This is why we do not fear depletion anymore, for we have seen it can’t deplete. I wouldn’t be surprised if notum was here ever since this planet was created. It has stayed the course of time, and will stay the course of use.

I thank you for listening.

*static*

This is it for now.
    Remember, Omni-Tek protects!

Omni-Mining

Words are nice but again lets us have a copy of the research you did.

~Iovermau
    *Assistant Medical Officer
    ** Nanomage Liberation Front
    ~ Roger "Shadowset" Garanti (Member Clan Assembly)
    ~ Andrew "Boomtastic" Domtar (Member Clan Assembly)
    ~ Ta "Bloudless" Butcher (Member of the NLF)
    ~ Caviler "Cynotor" (Member of the NLF)
    ~ Chef "Ironox" (Member of the NLF)

Public files on Shadowset
    Ironox and Cooking with Iron!

By all that is right!

You are actually openingly suggesting that Notum is not an ore but a biological-like organism that can grow and reproduce which might lead one to think that they may have a consciousness.

And you never explained what a Rift is, yet you shrug it off as a natural, everlasting process. You talk of cycles, but something that continuously grows, as you suggest, is not a cycle.

This is entirely bad science Director. And what is even more disturbing is that many of your arguments have made issue entirely worse. I had always considered myself netural on the issues of mining, but this report you have presented almost is enough to completely and utterly set me against any notum mining. It is very clear that geological and biological systems of Rubi-ka have NOT been studied in the least by Omni-tek.

The day these words were spoken, Rubi-ka entered into an even more chaotic and uncertain future.

Words are nice but again lets us have a copy of the research you did.
    Exactly. No matter what information we provide, it's never sufficient. Ever tried asking any other company for their confidential research documents? Got any? Thought so.

This is entirely bad science Director. And what is even more disturbing is that many of your arguments have made issue entirely worse. I had always considered myself netural on the issues of mining, but this report you have presented almost is enough to completely and utterly set me against any notum mining. It is very clear that geological and biological systems of Rubi-ka have NOT been studied in the least by Omni-tek.

The day these words were spoken, Rubi-ka entered into an even more chaotic and uncertain future.
    Note the date November 29477. I doubt anything has turned dramatically more chaotic during the last year or so by actions of Omni-Mining. I won't even start about the Notum day incident...
    And for crying out loud, that's a speech, not scientifical report paper. The detailed research results many seem to be craving are strictly confidential.

I knew allowing access to any Omni-Mining material on the subject was a mistake.
    *sighs*

Omni-Mining

Hmm.. OT will present whichever arguments best support their viewpoint, just as NLF will produce arguments supporting theirs. Not surprising in the least. Where's the truth? Somewhere between the maintained positions, I'd wager. Possibly even affected by things we do not yet know. Actually, that's not a mere possibility, I'd consider it highly probable that we don't have all the facts yet.

And Skyjester: it may indeed be a cycle, we just don't have the evidence as the cycle can be of such enormous proportions that we've only seen a part of it. That's part of what I mean by us not having all the facts.

Does notum have a cycle and is it relevant how we act on Rubi-Ka?
    Well, if notum has a cycle that goes from 95 to 105 then it matters enormously if the variation is still 10 but the high point is getting reduced.
    In fact, it can be equally disastrous if the median increases: that could topple all our carefully made calculations and render notum dependant machinery highly unstable and dangerous to use.
    Tempus fugit.

Everybody has a photographic memory.
    Some don't have film.

When you find a big kettle of crazy it's best not to stir it.
    -PHB/Scott Adams