Thread: Events in AO article, your opinions?

Events in AO article, your opinions?

I write for AO Stratics, and I recently wrote an article there which you guys here may or may not agree with. It's about the events in Anarchy Online, and it goes into depth about the problem, and also about the clans who are trying hard to compensate. I read this forum for information before I wrote, so some of the people here have been mentioned. It is a good read, and it is entitled 'Of Giant Snails and Robotic Dogs: Events in AO'

http://ao.stratics.com/content/commu...torial_2.shtml

It would be great if you could give feedback either here or at the website. Thanks.

Well first of all, thank you for mentioning the South Rubi-Ka Society in you article. It's always nice to get good press.

Personally I don't feel as if I am "going out of my way to pick up where Funcom left off" let alone trying to "fill in a void". Sure I do spend a lot of time working on events and adventures, but I only work on events which amuse me at some level. It's really no more than what I would do for a pen & paper roleplaying campaign.

I don't have strong feelings about official events either way. They are colourful enough, but in most instances I believe the best roleplaying is done on a small, personal scale, and that is something Funcom cannot do for us.

But hey, maybe that is just me.
    Last edited by Savoy; Aug 1st, 2002 at 02:48:53.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

I agree, funcom as hard as it tries just can't keep a grip on the events factor of the game. Sure I'd love to see more GM driven events, but sadly that's not the case. Allegedly the events department is working hard on something or another, as when I petitioned for some help with an event of my own, they told me flat out that they don't assist in player run events. Well that speaks volumes of what I get for my monthly fee, haha I can't even change my first name to one I like. but I'm not trying to start an anti funcom reply, we've all seen enough of those. but yes I do agree that the hardware issues need to be settled, ao is one year out of the harbor and we're no closer to that dynamic 4 year storyline that was promised to us as when the game first shipped, well 3 years to go, sadly though as much as i love roleplaying here, I don't think I can hold out that long.

I hear you though, I'm not much of a leveler myself, I've been in the game since it came out hehe people call me the original meta sometimes, as I was with the profession back when it was one of the least desired classes to play, and I'm just level 123, missions are too tedious and boring and the leveling treadmill just doesn't do it for me, the reason I play roleplay games is to do just that, roleplay and feel as if I'm a part of the world, AC didn't do that, UO didn't do that, EQ didn't do that, DAoC tried to, but it essentially was just a level fest too. I mean there are other games I play when I just want to kill kill kill over and over. While I admire what funcom has done for the most part as far as stability goes, (you all remember how we couldn't even walk out into the cities when the game first shipped) at the same time they have to stop catering to the power levelers and pvpers and give us roleplayers something to chew on. Now I'm not flaming power levelers or pvpers, as that's what they enjoy doing, just saying that the various patches released since the game's launch for the most part were made in an attempt to balance a feature of the game that was supposed to be a bleak afterthought.

FC should give more attention to the roleplayers now though, take the rubi-ka most wanted list, a funny little feature on this website, thing is that it pretty much only caters to hardcore pvpers, heh so I guess ganking is the only way to get noticed in an official manner. Players should be given more freedom to affect the world they roleplay in, which is why games like shadowbane and star wars galaxies may satiate the palate of more gamers, if done right of course- they could be empty promises as well. In the meantime funcom, gives us a little more creative freedom to affect the game world.
    Last edited by Lexusstreak; Aug 1st, 2002 at 14:55:02.
    "Did I tell you that you could speak?....then why are you still talking?."

My two credits

It maybe that I have low expectations about what a company can do to make my on-line gaming experience fun. For example, if Funcom would fix the lag in Baboons I would be thrilled because there would be another viable hotspot to visit and interact with a lot of players. It seems to me if you like to role-play and develop your character you don’t need too much from Funcom if you have an imaginative group.

However, it would be nice if Funcom could deliver on it’s storyline promise, since it would add to the color of the Rubi-ka. There would be new events to discuss and spin adventures around. An occasional big event like the battle you described would certainly be nice.

The biggest disservice that Funcom has done, in my opinion, is to stifle the subplots that player groups developed to bring Rubi-ka to life. A little encouragement and a little support would have produced a very big payoff. In that regard, I think the players were attempting to provide life to the political and social landscape of Rubi-ka. Why Funcom did not make a small investment in these creative and clever endeavors is a mystery to me.

Smile Nice article

I think the timing for this article is good. Its been long enough that many people fairly new to the game didn't have the opportunity to take place in Funcoms events. Also, the recent lack of storyline activity has many people wondering what the future will be like, and has prompted many discusions on that topic. I think any opportunity to remind Funcom of the importance of a story that serves as the context for good roleplay is worthwhile.
    - Szentasha
    Leader of Unity of the Rose

AOScripter 2.0 If you need a script, you need AOScripter!

*** Remove Social Armor Restrictions Today !!!