Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Signs that your Doc is an idiot!

Docs are Easy??

Keep in mind a simple fact.

When your a good doc, your pounding your f1-f6 keys .. constantly.

The HP team window bug is enough to drive any good doc crazy.

So, if your in a group and wondering why the doc doesn't see your HP drop. Most likely it is due to this stupid bug. Newer docs have it worse.

It takes some experience and getting used to this bug to become an excellent Doc

Um ok..

First off.. who the hell are you teaming with?

I use team when two or more are getting hit. Single when only one is, or when someones getting primary hits.

I take aggro and die if need.

I am the last person I heal.

Explaining a few things when you start a mission saves sooo many lives.

If LOS is a problem, I simply say so in grp. Most didnt realize they were in different rooms or that LOS was an issue due to ramps. I say it nicely and only once. Then if they die.. well its there fault and they get removed from my friend list.

the experiece of having a doc not want to do mission cause of walking was due to the PERSON... I find Agents, Enforcers, Engie's ect who are idiots and lazy. Please dont define a class by one person.

Those that are lazy healers are the ones that think a docs class is going to be a cake walk. By the time they figure out its not they A. are too high lvl and dont want ot reroll. B. dont care and stay lazy and ruin the profession.

As for us being useless: simply not true. Unless the Adv and MA's get better at healing at higher lvls, and Docs healing gets worse.

Talking No Doc Teams

LOL, I have been in lots of teams where the only doc is my Belamorte and I think ppl act much smarter when there is no doc around

Though sometimes Belamorte healing seems to have a narcotic effect on the Soldier or Trader it is on. They start running off and killing everything in sight

Seriously, I think everyone is guilty of being overconfident when a Doc is around. I have had great teams with Docs but just as good teams with no Docs. I think we just act more like a team when there is no Doc.

Same thing applies in spades when you have no doc AND no calmer. Can still work just fine though. Better if you have an MP who can stun (the only class who can stun but not calm.)

Best mission I ever did was a QL 180+ with a team of six that dribbled down to just me an MP, Agent and Engie when we got to the boss room. Took some time and lots of strategizing but we killed the 2 minions first and then the boss. We all felt very proud of ourselves, thanks again to Szche and Vegavak After that episode I am never afraid of bosses.
    Last edited by Autocrat/Seraph; Aug 6th, 2002 at 00:16:29.

I just teamed with an uber doc last nite. She was like healing NON STOP.

My hitpoints never dropped to anything less than 3/4 of my max.

Makes me and an the MA a bit over confident sometimes :P We just charge and charge non stop. Haven't had so much fun in a looonng time. (I never had to heal myself.. not even once...)

Solution is simple: Use your Team Heal.
    Right now with many different issues (e.g. taunt nano not being able to taunt) which makes it impossible for ONE member to keep aggro to themself, and this made the aggro shifts around. It's impossible to keep track of who's being attacked.

btw

someone earier said that team heal draws aggro.... and what's your point??? I can tell you this right now right here: After lvl 60, you don't get aggro using team heal whatsoever since others outdamage you + they have taunt nanos (tho they all sux, but...)

Re: Docs are Easy??

Originally posted by Talric
    Keep in mind a simple fact.

When your a good doc, your pounding your f1-f6 keys .. constantly.

The HP team window bug is enough to drive any good doc crazy.

So, if your in a group and wondering why the doc doesn't see your HP drop. Most likely it is due to this stupid bug. Newer docs have it worse.

It takes some experience and getting used to this bug to become an excellent Doc

bingo.

And Ashuras, that must've been me

And who said the other thing about team heals not reaching people in other rooms...

When i hit a solo heal that cant reach someojne I use my teamheal and usually it does heal them so i dont know whaere your issue is or if my range nehancer really does work I dunno

Erm, Phione, I'm level 135, and I get plenty of aggro from healing.

Just plain direct heals will draw aggro from any uncalmed adds - it usually only takes two or three before they all stick to me like glue. That is, if they don't run right for me in the first place due to that tiny slow HOT on the team hp buff generating aggro every time it ticks even if my teammates are at full health.

Using team heals will often pull aggro from adds the first time I cast it. And given a few casts, especially if I'm attacking and land a few crits, casting a couple team heals will pull mobs off enforcers, soldiers, and even MAs. About the only people I can't taunt a mob off with heals are the people who I want to - like nanomage NTs.

And once a mob is attacking me, that's it. I'll be tanking it until it dies, because the various taunt lines don't work. Mongo has some effect, but it's not a predictable one and can't be used where it might aggro more adds.
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

aggro

Phione -- I assume you are a doctor. How it is you don't draw aggro when every other doctor I know does is beyond me. Unless of course you aren't playing a doctor. If the latter is true, how can you possibly comment on what happens to our profession when we heal ?

--
    Jelnn in-game

I draw aggro as an advy healer but it doesnt bother me cos I go in sabretooth form and smack that lick wounds and team heal right after and everyone is happy

Originally posted by Emiko
    I draw aggro as an advy healer but it doesnt bother me cos I go in sabretooth form and smack that lick wounds and team heal right after and everyone is happy
    Heheh.. Emiko... I wish ADVs could heal as well as that doc
    Our teamheal's recharge plain suqs.

Anyway... we advs have an advantage of being quite a decent tank. At one time... one of our major role.... is to keep the team doc alive when he/she got aggroed.

Among my guild, we always jokingly named teamheals as MONGO HEAL. Coz it is more effective that any aggro enhancers out there at drawing aggro. Works all the time.. hehehe

What the team doc gets mobbed, I'll normally help to direct heal him (if necessary), then spam some teamheals if I can, to pull some mobs off him.

As a doc, I use my team heal almost all the time unless I'm positive that the tank is able to hold 100% aggro. And when doing ql 100ish missions (my doc's 60ish), I rarely gets aggro if the enf is mongoing, the NT's nuking, or the MA is punching away. (I'm a MA doc, so don't tell me about the distance issue)

Originally posted by Cassondra "Phione" Cifuentes
    As a doc, I use my team heal almost all the time unless I'm positive that the tank is able to hold 100% aggro. And when doing ql 100ish missions (my doc's 60ish), I rarely gets aggro if the enf is mongoing, the NT's nuking, or the MA is punching away. (I'm a MA doc, so don't tell me about the distance issue)
    hehhe... I think the reason why u don't get aggro is because u have an MA there.

They normally crit so much that mobs stick to them

heh, it doesn't matter who is in the group, but as long as you have ppl from other profs in your group, you won't get aggroed what so ever... Doc is like the one guy in team that's least going to get aggroed for cryng out loud...

No doubt there are plenty of good idiot doc stories, One small point, however, is that no profession has a monopoly on idiots. There are a few in every profession. Docs are just particularly easy targets for these stories because the results of doc errors are so noticeable.

I would like to to try puttiing a little true confessions spin on this thread. I think a lot of doc errors come about because a doc gets put in a position where his or her ability to heal gets overwhelmed because of multiple pullers, rollerrats, spread out groups, leaders attempting to blow through dangerously high QL missions at the speed of sound, carelessness about opening doors, ill-timed mongos, broken calms, or a simple failure to afford docs and other casters the opportunity to recharge (or worse still not seeing or heeding a doc yelling for time to up nano). I have seen these kind of errors cause a cascade of events that end up with a doc expected to pull the bacon out of the fire.

I could safely plead guilty to at least half of the flaws I mentioned above at one time or another. Every one seems to suffer instant amnesia about how the crisis that caused a doc melt-down came about. After all, docs are so much more convenient goats. I would have gladly dived in on this thread until I tried playing a doc for a while. It is too hard for me, so I play other classes now.

So who else wants to admit that they have managed to blame a doc for their screw ups at least once in a while?

MM

small point, however, is that no profession has a monopoly on idiots. There are a few in every profession. Docs are just particularly easy targets for these stories because the results of doc errors are so noticeable.

Aint that the truth.

No other profession has the expectation of 100% undivided attention to the team placed upon them.

All of this is why I don't pick-up team anymore. If I can't get a full team of guildmates and friends... we usually just go and do the mission without a full team.

Strangely enough, we rarely ever die. We stick together in the mission, we take as much time as the slowest of us needs to keep up. We chat and have fun. There are no arguments. Loot is shared fairly. There are no rollerrats when we don't want them.

I don't know if there's some kind of compound that's released into otherwise normal peoples' bloodstreams when they're in a pickup group, but it's like a switch is flipped somewhere that makes intelligent and skilled people into drooling morons when they're pickup teaming in a mission. I've seen it among my own friends, this isn't an isolated phenomenon. Does anyone have any idea what causes this?

And, as I said before, if pickup teams would treat people better - especially doctors, given the expectations everyone has of us - better people would be willing to join pickup teams.
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

That's why I like to make thiungs clear from the get go

1) I am an advy who knows how to heal and my sole purpose is to keep everyone alive, attacking is secondary though I can dish out some decent dmg nowadays.

2) You pull a rat and youre on your own, we will not back you up. That's why we stated no chests during mission. If on the otherhand the rat comes from a locked door then you are going to get my assist. Xp ball or no, if it's stated no chests during mission, stick to itI find letting people know they are on their own with a rat makes em think twice about touching that chest.

3) Pick up games. Hit and miss most of the time. Forrest Gump would say pick up games are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get. Rule of thumb for pick up games.. be mindful. be aware of everything like under a electron microscope, you need to be able to read the toons subtle behavior, take cues and know where the wind blows or you are screwed. It's hard to understand a character's behavior and motivations by watching them for only a few seconds, but you gotta try.

4) Above all else, listen to your team mates, they will tell you their needs, respect them, and try to go with the flow,people are often chaotic because they are looking for the way, if you are calm they will be drawn to you.

"Back to the earth I screamed out, and no one listened to me. Back to the earth I lived, and they all followed."
    - Rusted Root
    Last edited by Orchid; Aug 7th, 2002 at 16:33:04.

Originally posted by Jynne
    I don't know if there's some kind of compound that's released into otherwise normal peoples' bloodstreams when they're in a pickup group, but it's like a switch is flipped somewhere that makes intelligent and skilled people into drooling morons when they're pickup teaming in a mission. I've seen it among my own friends, this isn't an isolated phenomenon. Does anyone have any idea what causes this?
    Competition

Yeah you're team-mates but everyone really wants the best stuff for themselves dont they. Players 'forced' to team mission for certain nanos/items want to find said item in the shortest possible time. They dont want to mission over and over, they are there for the piece of loot them have set their mind on. Everything else is secondary. This is even worse if there is more than one player of the same profession in the team.....

Glory

Who is the most uber l33t d00d? The most uber is the guy who gets to the next MOB first right? Only sissies and 'support' classes stop to loot bodies and chests and walk around furniture.

Mistrust

If you dont know your team mates, you probably dont trust them. If you dont trust them they may not be showing you everything they find. Best way to solve this is to get to the loot before they do. Then you know what got dropped - problem is everyone else is thinking the same thing about you.....

Casual gamers

The 'victims' of the piece. Casual gamers will probably not have read the prof boards or prof web sites. Dont spend ages in game learning the 'tricks of the trade' and probably arent in guilds. These players generally wont know what they are _really_ doing (sure they can target and press Q) nor when they are doing somthing _wrong_ (ninja looters can easily be these people who just see a chest and open it, since no one else has yet)

Greed

The person who wants it all, so they can sell it for loads of money regardless of if anyone in the team actually needs/wants it.

Apathy
    Good gamers suddenly go bad in pick up groups? Probably because they are tired of doing their bit and want a free ride now and again. Normally attributed to the person whos done 8 trillion team missions looking for "class-fixing nano of only-found-in-boos-loot-table" and hasnt found it yet. The prospect of yet another team mission is soul destroying and your guildies are getting fed up of it and want to do something else for once. So you join a pick up group but your so 'brain dead from team missions' you figure someone else can do the work for a change.

Bordom
    Players who just want to be stupid or try out new-and-potentially-stupid-things. Dont want to embaress yourself in front of your guildies, so do it in front of a bunch of total strangers you will never see again, but who can/will save your butt if it all goes horrible wrong.

Thats all I can think of for now....

-edit-
    BOOM 800 posts, go me, yay (said in uninspiring and depressing tone)
    Dont you think I look like Geordie from Star Trek?
    <-----------------------------------------------------------
    Actually I look more of a cross between him and Picard don't I?

Jynne,

You raised a really good question. I never really thought about it before. The best I answer your question is this. I will risk dying and losing exp for friends. I will give up valuable loot for my friends without a second thought. I do not want to keep an X-3 if I have a friend who is an agent in the team. I wish I could say that I always bring that same attitude into a group.

In a pickup team, I guess I go in more wary and I suspect others do the same. I get extremely sensitive to whether other team mates are watching out for one another. If not, it does not take me long to start assuming an attitude of taking care of myself first. It does not mean that I do not play as hard as I can, it just means I will not take the same risks for people who are shaping up as pigs or who do not show a team oriented attitude.

I think the best example I can give you is how I use first aid kits. I always carry the best ones I can. With friends, I do not hesitate to use one on whoever looks to be in need of a health boost. I absolutely know that my friends will do the same for me if I am in trouble. In a pickup group, I will use them on a doc or tank to try to keep them from dying but I will otherwise keep them in reserve for myself.

Now that I reflect on it, I guess that others are more likely to pick up the same attitude from me and act just the way I do. I wish I knew how to break that cycle, but I really do not. I guess that it does not take many times of laying down your life for others where they do not even notice that you died before you start to get cautious.

That being said, I think that people who only group with friends and guild members are cheating themselves. I think of some of the wonderful people I have met in those rare pickup groups that are absolutely awesome. If I stuck with friends and guildees only I never would have met them. I met almost all of my best friends in the game through pickup groups. You really just never know who you want to be be your friend or guild member unless you have seen their qualities in a group.

MM

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast