Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Signs that your Doc is an idiot!

Guess I'm confused

I wonder why when I ask the enforcer in our dangerously high level mission if they are using a "da taunter" or other means of holding agro they say "oh, maybe I should" it's the doc's fault?

I wonder why I'm expected to heal everyone not only through the fight, but post fight too and when I ask someone to open chests for me so I can look for chargers, they don't and I'm the reason the team isn’t functioning as a team? Hmm, this could be why I’m the only one on just about every team I’ve been in for the last 30 levels that has to walk instead of fly?

I wonder why of the 8 or so classes that can heal, I have to SCREAM for backup healing when I'm overwhelmed or low on nano because of adds, or that rare lag burst that prevents casting and I'm the reason the group has to slow down or someone died? Is the team window a doc only feature?

I wonder why I even have to ASK who is going to be the teams backup healer when I'm starting a mission.

I wonder why I even have to ASK who is going to be the primary tank and hold agro in team missions.

I wonder why in calmerless teams people split up and run into different rooms without the doc and then yell for help.

I wonder why when I start my missions and tell them that this is my MAIN and ONLY toon and I need those chargers, and ask if we can we slow the mission down long enough for me to loot an occasional chest and my dead mobs via alpha no one hears me and still runs off. Let's think about this for a second. If I add 30 seconds to each kill for looting (and I don't), that adds maybe 5 minutes to an hour long mission. Is that so painful?

I wonder how people can survive in team missions 50 levels about the group level average on team heals. I always have the best or second best heal and team heal nano possible and I can't keep a tank alive on team heals. What do you know that I don't?.

But most of all, I wonder how a game where every class can cast a nano formulas doesn't understand that no matter what my nano init is, recharge is very hard to reduce and once I cast a formula, I can't cast again until it completes?

--HealsRus

My 2 cents on the team heal/single heal issue...

On average, IMHO single heals are preferable when fighting single mobs because:

1. They have a higher healing range (both minimum and maximum).

2. They have lower aggro.

3. They have a lower recharge rate making them slightly faster.

Granted, team heals use less nano. But if you don't pull mobs off your tank that's not really a problem. Spamming team heals while only one mob is attacking makes me feel lazy.

I only use team heals if we do not have a calmer and have an add, at the end of a fight to make sure any reflect damage is healed, at the top of an elevator/teleporter because of the hp menu bug, or if the mob starts to knock our <insert support class> around then goes back to the tank. Then team heals are good to heal the <insert support class> while offering the tank some help until I can resume my single heals on the tank.

At a 50% bar with a descent damage dealing team I rarely pull aggro. Unless I want to...then I just run my debuff :P
    Goode 200 Nanotechnician
    Ionsphere 166 Martial Artist
    DrHandy 154 Doctor

For your information, Aggression Enhancer (note, I'm not atrox, so I don't have any experience with Da Taunter) is extremly uneffective to mobs, Enforcer's single target taunt doesn't work what so ever (well, it does like 1 out of 20), and mongo is currently bugged--it'll actually shift away the aggro....

Originally posted by Phione
    heh, it doesn't matter who is in the group, but as long as you have ppl from other profs in your group, you won't get aggroed what so ever... Doc is like the one guy in team that's least going to get aggroed for cryng out loud...
    That's very strange. Are we playing the same game ?

I often find that the best way to draw aggro from the tank/doc is to heal them. (other than hitting the mobs with uber damage).

I distinctively remember having to play the role of "doc-saver" many times in various teams when they get aggroed.

Regarding XP Balls... I love them Even though they are aggro now. Most of the time they are not a problem if u have a calm/mezzer in the team. They still gives damm good xp for relatively less effort.

(I'm normally not the one to open chests... usually am at the frontline racing with MAs and SOldiers ... but sometimes, I'll open some after a floor is cleared while waitng for teammates with slower run speed)

yup yup im in agreement with Ashuras 100%

It's not about how much nano a single heal uses. It's about line of sight. I have seen countless deaths because some doc was brainwashed into thinking team heals are bad and could not heal someone with their single heal because of line of sight. I have seen countless posts in the doc forum furthering this rediculosity.

There are rarely times in a team mission that requires single heals. Any decent team isn't constrained by the ancient concept of tank, healer, blahblah. Maybe using team heals is 'lazy'. I prefer to think of it as prudent.

I've done team missions without any healers period at 50 levels above my level. We did just fine though the boss was a bastard. The vast majority of the teams I join use two mas/advs to heal. We do just fine. I've played an ma who team healed with another ma up to level 85. We were doing full difficulty missions. No one died. So not sure why you can't keep people alive with your team heals. *shrug*

I will always take an ma/adv over a doctor. At least then I won't have to listen to the crying about nano chargers. Both my mp and ma use at least one nano charger per fight in a team mission. Sometimes two. Suprisingly, they don't cry about going through nano chargers like water. I hate to generalize, but Docs, moreso then any other class of players seem to think that they need to have their hands held. And yes, I've played a doc as well. Didn't seem to need her hand held at all.

Since I've been so negative about docs, I feel I should also spread it around. :P Any player who thinks having a doc or any healer in the team exempts them from using their own treatment kits needs a kick in the arse. Any player who can't grasp the concept of sitting and using their treatment kit when not aggroed in a fight if it seems the doc or any healer is having trouble keeping everyone healthy should be kicked in the arse. I have watched many people die who I'd pull agro for them to sit and rest, and instead they'd just pull aggro back.

to the people wondering about team heals and LOS, I don't remember what the exact number was but back when they first got nerfed one of the fc people (cz/cosmik/someone) cleared things up somewhat by saying teamheals were nonlos up to ~10-20m (cant remember) and then required LOS after that.

To n00b doc's and confuzzled secondary healers whenever you wind up missing about 80-110% of whatever nanokit you are using currently sit down and use a kit to regen nano, if your using a decent QL nanokit you should be able to keep your nano up decently well like this (rather than have it plummet like a stone cause you get 2 heals to a nanokit cause you never put anything in T&S in a zillion levels). Honest, whatever damage you were doing is not as important as your ability to keep things going if the **** hits the fan badly or simply to keep things moving at a steady clip later on when everyone in the group could probably solo the thing. remember, you can sit down and regen nano when casting without interrupting the cast just tap x>f1(target self)>nanokit>x>f1-6>/assist macro>q>heal as needed.

To the healers complaining about how unreasonable it is for them to have to heal people in the group after a fight rather than have them just use a treatment pack the thing is this. It's simply not possible to kick a sizeable amount of HP back from a hp pack meaning you will require 2-3 of them in most cases if your missing a chunk of hp, a doc or advent can kick back 1-2k in a matter of a couple seconds, what's more is this can be done on the go by doing an instacast momentary pause in step. Even for me it's more effective to simply pop off a set of team heals or a single target heal or two on the way to/as the next fight is starting then regen nano as needed than it is to sit down and heal with a healkit.

advents: doc's will love you when you drop an occasional team heal during fights (even when they are going rather well) just to clean up any stray 'gee you look squishy' hits from a bored mob or especially to take care of damage/reflect shield damage the team accumulates on advent/engineer/etc mobs.

secondary healers: if someone is getting beat up bad do what you can to take the strain off the doc/primary healer, especially at higher levels where a doc/advent can spend several seconds dumping a CH on someone with the lower stress on their hp..
    secondary healers should try to keep their nanopool 75% or better even if it means wasting partial nanokits simply because when you do pull aggro you want to be able to continue doing a bit of healing for yourself if need be (my heals are instacast, I tend to drop a team heal or single target heal on myself every so often when tanking), also try to keep a bit of your nano left just in case you need to pop one off in emmergency but most importantly say that your out of nano if/when you run out.

assuming your doc is competant and 2 people are taking a world of hurt, one of them is the doc/primary healer who can do a CH and you have the ability to heal you want to heal your doc. Once you've worked with a doc for a while they learn to trust that when things start geting bad that you will be there to heal them if things take a horrible turn for the worse... what this allows is for your doc to readjust that gague of 'if i let him possibly die then i can keep myself and the rest of the team alive vrs. if i continue to heal the hell out of him then im going to die and shortly after there are going to be more casualties besides just me' in favor of the first person . I group with alot of doc's who know I'll drop a few heals on someone while they are winding up for a CH and that if they start to take alot of damage themselves i'll either heal them normally or with a CH as the situation applies.

to those people who said they refuse to heal someone who is being attacked by a rat i'll just say this. The only time i loot chests is when soloing but quite often wind up tanking rats that someone pulled from a box during the fight, just be warned that the person you refuse to heal might only be guilty of the crime of casting a team heal or being in the wrong place when the rat looked for LOS and decided on the best target.

oh yea, except for agents with ruse going if your morphed by an advent hug the frigging walls don't stand in doorways or anything, when you get ina room right away strafe to the side against the wall or stand on a table. nothing is more frustrating for all parties involved than not being able to see what's going on because some fool who chose the tall character model and got a high end essence has a 9 foot tall at the shoulder cat standing in the way and looking down on the giant enforcer each time he attacks and sends his paws crashing through his screen.

[edit]
    before anyone complains, all of the above things are situational in some cases but if you arent sure when you should and should not be doing things just guess on the side of caution and do everything you can till you figure it out.

-Triytterbium 166 kitty cat
    Last edited by Tetra; Aug 8th, 2002 at 09:22:55.

now that i'm done being useful i'll rant about stupid people i've grouped with

group with bunch of squishy nonhealing casters (crat, NT, and something else), an agent, me an advent, and an enf who was yellowish green. Enf turns to team and bluntly states that advent should be tanking because he is highest level. level was probably around 90-110 for the group iirc.

um... you know that i'm the *only* person who can heal here, i have no ability to maintain aggro save for spamming team heals which I can't do because i need to use single target heals on myself, and it's going to cause all sorts of problems when i cant recharge nano in a fight.

yea well your going to take less damage than anyone else cause of your level and blahblahblah

um... this is going to be a mess, but fine.

3 fights in things are going horribly, im using almost all my nano cause im healing a zillion times each fight+trying to keep squishy people alive whenever mobs decide im boring and smack them around i suggest once more that enf takes the lead and tanks

squishy people have found themselves far too close for comfort todeath a few times and are rumbling discontent with the situation but enf still doesnt think he would be a good choice for tank.

3 fights later an add comes in and I die... oddly enough at that same minute I had to go do some stuff, group broke up and most of us started a new one only to do just great

my other wonderful story took place at 8x8 in 20k, i was the highest in the group of a doc and a few other nontank types so i really was the best choice for a tank... except for the wonderful doc...

after about the 5th time I ran out of nano from healing myself with my own heals (which were healing for considerably more than the doc heals were healing me for) and having to zoom off in reet form to keep from getting killed I asked if the doc is on full defence or something, "yea if i go any higher i'll get hurt if i get aggro"... well you need to turn it up cause it's not cutting it like that, also you need to use single target heals more than team heals when there is only 1 person in the group taking damage...

"I've been a doc here a bunch of times and team heals have always worked just fine, so I don't see why things should change now, you'll just have to make do with these cause i'm not going to die cause i went oom from healing"

that was it, for me... I waited till i had to reet>run again which supprise supprise wasnt that long and then warned everyone to simply not attack the next set of mobs... pulled 4 mobs at once and cranked slider to full defense>waited for them to head towards doc and reeted him when they started to beat on him

*poof* dead idiot doc
    *poof* doc has been kicked from the group
    /say hey enf standing there lfg want to join us?
    *enf so and so has joined your group*
    [edit]
    both these things happened before the advent changes

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Zarch
    [B]When you ask Doc what is his AGG setting (as you already quessed it being the reason most likely) and he says its mid or full def instead of agg and he obviously dont have enough nano init to make it fast at that setting.

When you say "dont take this wrong way but perhaps raising of AGG setting might be in order" and he says, fine, find someone else to heal.

When the doc leaves you actually find out that the adv in group heals better now that he is only doc and concentrating on the job.

///

Nothing better a stranger wants to hear in a pickup team is your telling him how to play.....she may play that way for a reason.

Next time, tell the doc, "Doc, I have a doct of level xxx, and I found it better for me to play on full agro for quicker heals. Last patch added a feature to stop full agro from causing your to attack back. "

Your stating your skills as a doctor (if you have any)
    and some advice about a patch that an average user might not have cared to learn about.

Originally posted by WebMD
    Nothing better a stranger wants to hear in a pickup team is your telling him how to play.....she may play that way for a reason.

Next time, tell the doc, "Doc, I have a doct of level xxx, and I found it better for me to play on full agro for quicker heals. Last patch added a feature to stop full agro from causing your to attack back. "

Your stating your skills as a doctor (if you have any)
    and some advice about a patch that an average user might not have cared to learn about.
    if it's causing me serious risk of getting killed I really don't care about the n00bs feelings and what misguided reasoning they have for trying to cast long long execution time heals cause they are at full defense.

Originally posted by Zylina
    It's not about how much nano a single heal uses. It's about line of sight. I have seen countless deaths because some doc was brainwashed into thinking team heals are bad and could not heal someone with their single heal because of line of sight. I have seen countless posts in the doc forum furthering this rediculosity.
    Heh, it's quite obvious that you have not had a lot of experience playing a doc. A good doc is always aware of LOS. I always know when someone goes into another room or wanders off, always know when we have adds, always know when to use a team heal or single heal. A good team member won't stray far from the team. You equate the need of using team heals with the ability of the doc to know what's going on. Not sure what a rediculosity is but I assure you, the countless posts in the doc forum are most likely better informed than you are. It's not a matter of team heals being bad. Its a matter of knowing when one is necessary. If someone wanders off and I hear fire in the background, I do throw in a few team heals. If I see someone's hp bar start to drop in addition to the one taking damage from the mob in front of us, sure I'll throw in a few team heals. But if we are fighting one mob and only one team member's hp is dropping, imo it is silly to spam team heals. LOS isn't an issue when you know the mechanics of it...

There are rarely times in a team mission that requires single heals. Any decent team isn't constrained by the ancient concept of tank, healer, blahblah. Maybe using team heals is 'lazy'. I prefer to think of it as prudent.
    Any decent doc recognizes when a mob changes targets and can hit the appropriate Fkey to continue single healing. It's more efficient and actually keeps you from dozing off continually hitting the same key for team heal (3), hit (x), recharge (1), (x) (3.3.3.3.3) repeat throughout the rest of the mission. Agreed that a high level team doesn't necessarily have to worry about assigning roles (ie. tank/healer, etc.) but a decent doc isn't constrained by the ancient concept of only using team heals, blahblahblah. I outlined several situations that I do use team heals... but it isnt 'prudent' to use an inferior heal when only one team member is taking damage.

I've done team missions without any healers period at 50 levels above my level. We did just fine though the boss was a bastard. The vast majority of the teams I join use two mas/advs to heal. We do just fine. I've played an ma who team healed with another ma up to level 85. We were doing full difficulty missions. No one died. So not sure why you can't keep people alive with your team heals. *shrug*
    LMAO!!! Maybe I read into your answer too much and assumed that this was a retort from my post. But I rarely, if ever, have someone die on me. To be honest, I'm offended you said that :P Actually, the groups that I'm usually in, I'm rarely needed to heal much (130+). Then, I use my shottie and run debuffs as much as possible. So what, who cares that you don't need a doc 130+ with several healing classes. I'm not sure where you get off saying that I have problems keeping people alive. I really have no idea where this quote fits into answering my post.

I will always take an ma/adv over a doctor. At least then I won't have to listen to the crying about nano chargers. Both my mp and ma use at least one nano charger per fight in a team mission. Sometimes two. Suprisingly, they don't cry about going through nano chargers like water. I hate to generalize, but Docs, moreso then any other class of players seem to think that they need to have their hands held. And yes, I've played a doc as well. Didn't seem to need her hand held at all.
    Heh ok you say you've played a doc. Doesn't seem like it but I'll give you the benifit of the doubt. I however never...ever...have asked for credits or rechargers for my services. Nor do I think I mentioned this in my last post. It's becoming more obvious that you simply don't like doctors.

Since I've been so negative about docs, I feel I should also spread it around. :P Any player who thinks having a doc or any healer in the team exempts them from using their own treatment kits needs a kick in the arse. Any player who can't grasp the concept of sitting and using their treatment kit when not aggroed in a fight if it seems the doc or any healer is having trouble keeping everyone healthy should be kicked in the arse. I have watched many people die who I'd pull agro for them to sit and rest, and instead they'd just pull aggro back.
    Ahhhh!!! Finally something we both agree on 100%. It's funny when in a boss room, no one likes to recharge their health after they lose the bosses attention. Maybe it's because they know that my mad skills of healing won't let em down.
    Last edited by Goode; Aug 8th, 2002 at 22:06:54.
    Goode 200 Nanotechnician
    DrHandy 154 Doctor

The problem with your replies are that you assume we're talking about decent docs. We're posting in the doc is an idiot thread. I'm not talking about decent docs. Or even decent people.

And the entire post was actually replying to several posts. So don't take it all so personaly. :P

Heh sorry...my bad

Granted some docs are idiots
    Goode 200 Nanotechnician
    DrHandy 154 Doctor

If you can master the usage of single heal and heal everyone that needs it, perfect. But if you can't do so, or is whining about how much work it takes.... use team heal then...

U know that the team heal heals less, right?
    Flyhard - lvl 137 doc
    Thermaling - lvl 94 fixer

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234