Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Fake" roleplayers (IC and OOC)

OOC: Been reading the thread, and I see that there're people RPing around Rubi-Ka. It's hard to RP with your character when noone else does (not everyone, but many)... As for when Tikon prayed next to a statue and clearly it was a non RP that came up to him. Gets frustrated doesn't it? Here you put an effort in Roleplaying your character, coming up with stories and the personality of your character and really tries to "live" with your character... then suddlenly someone comes up and calls you dumb, just because you have your praying time or whatever you might be doing.

Anyway, should a RP server solve some of the problems?

Having a "few" characters with different professions and sides, I've only written so far the story for 1 of the characters. Though I will post the story of any character I decide to continue with when I've completed the story. Some might never get a story and being deleted.

Where IC/OOC breaks down

((OOC post))

And here's where the argument either way fails.

When you play AO, you are always at least partially IC.
    While it is all well and good to 'cry OOC' if you want to 'hang with your friends' you should try and do so in a neutral area if there is a mix of clan and OT people meeting.

For those of you who are clanners: try walking up to the entrance to Omni-HQ in Trade and informing the Elite Guards that you're OOC right now, so please don't shoot me.

If I see a Clanner in Rompa then I will either have a go at them or inform a member of security. Why? Because I'm a good OT citizen and they are in violation of the Tir Accord.

I use /tell or private chat groups for OOC conversation with friends. Why? Because often I'm waiting for an IC event to happen soon, and because I don't like meeting OOC with people that my character normally wouldn't be caught dead associating with.
    Crazynotion - Atrox Bureaucrat, RK1

Formerly posted as Mechanita

This topic can be debated to death with no solution.

When many people think of Omni-Tek, they think "Empire" from star wars. When Omni-Tek is hardly that. We are not the bad guys, and more importantly... we are NOT brainwashed citizens like storm-troopers.

We are Employees of a dominate Corperation, which is trying to defend it's assets given by the ICC (Modern day UN- for buisnesses, not countries).

We are the Microsoft of the 20000's. Lamens terms; Not every person who works for Microsoft likes thier job, but they stick with it because it pays well, has benifits, etc. Others find diffrent Industries (SOL Banking for example) which lead them to clans.

The person you meet at Bronto Burger in Omni-1 Entertainment, who says, "I'm here because Omni-Tek has the best armor".

is just like

The person you meet at Starbucks in Seattle, who works for Microsoft claiming, "I work here because everything is based off Windows™".

People Roleplay differently, you can't expect everyone to play the way you do. Some people *don't* roleplay, you can't force them to. Just play around it, ignore it, or go away.

Tikon, that was fun when you came into Baboons. You broke up what was an otherwise slow night for us. We were a bit off guard since we were unfamiliar with your guild, but just kind of went with it. I hope that Val and Taboo weren't too hard on you as they a bit more hardened than I am.

Tnekmeister, we all have to deal with jerks like that at one time or another. Use /ignore when things like that happen.
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

For the guard killers, I would say either give them a criminal flag (I don't remember who suggested that one) or maybe a flag for the town that they killed the guards in. For instance, if I kill a guard in Rome, I should be unable from then on to enter Rome without being killed on sight. I would have to either go to some security official to get a pass for Rome (a one time deal though) or never go to Rome again. After awhile, if they continued to kill the guards, they wouldn't be able to get into any town, so if they're smart they'd stop. I would, however, make it possible to escape the punishment, say if a guard kills you in retaliation, you get your Rome pass revoked, but if you get away, you've escaped. That would let you play a the traitor/ spy type. But of course givet the guards a good chance of catching you, and maybe even make it possible for other players who witness your crime to hunt and attack you.
    The only other idea I have is to make another faction for outcasts that would be considered enemies of the factions that they've been thrown out of.

One last thing, I'm an Omni citizen and I've never killed an Omni guard (that would be crazy at the levels my characters have), but I have killed (and will probably continue to kill) any OT walking around the lake at Newland City. What are all those sharpshooters and hire killers doing outside of a nice neutral town like that? They must be rogue OT and I won't have them give Omni a bad name.

Re: Where IC/OOC breaks down

Originally posted by Mechanita
    And here's where the argument either way fails.

When you play AO, you are always at least partially IC.
    While it is all well and good to 'cry OOC' if you want to 'hang with your friends' you should try and do so in a neutral area if there is a mix of clan and OT people meeting.

My point exactly Mechanita, if you roleplay you should at all times be ready to play your role, especially when you enter "roleplay areas" like the bars. Trying to say you're OOC just to avoid a "difficult" situation just isn't the right to do it if you ask me.

And I don't belive that any official events will take into consideration or check if you are IC or OCC. At least I have not seen anything to indicate that in any of those events I have stumbled upon.

Moradus
    Loyal OT Citizen

Originally posted by Sivy
    I think before someone goes shooting off his mouth and harassing me for being clanner he should first ask if I'm IC because most of the time when I'm in Rompa's I am OOC.
    Why in the world would you want to be in Rompa if you are not going to be in character? Other than role play, there is absolutely nothing to do in there. I have to tell you that nothing is more annoying than someone being out of character at the clubs. As I see it, if you're in one of the clubs, you'd better expect to be treated as if you are in character and others who are there in character shouldn't have to ask if you are or not. In that type of place, the burden fall on you, not the other way around. Out by the whompas or mission terminals, I assume that everyone is OOC, but in clubs, it's the reverse.

If you want to just hang out with rl friends or whatever, there are a million other places on Rubi Ka to do that. Or use an instant messenger.
    Last edited by Nevver; Jul 31st, 2002 at 13:56:36.
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»

Also known as...
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

the way I see it I can be OOC where ever and when ever I want to be and there is not one thing any one can do about it other than whine and complain and if people keep buggin me about it I end up getting a new member to my ignore list.

As for a RP only server. Do you really think FC cares about making an RP server or can afford one?

bottom line is you can't force people to RP so stop complaining about it. They can do whatever they want and if it bugs people that much just ignore them.

Okay, here's a deal for you - don't ***** when players expect you to be IC at the clubs and I won't ***** about you being OOC in the clubs. Next time a player calls you a scumbag clanner and tells you to piss off, just ignore them.
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»

Also known as...
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

This is an interesting post indeed. On one hand I do agree that stronger enforcement is needed when it comes to regulating characters, like being able to kick clan members out of omni buildings such as baboons and rompa, However my character is usually neutral to faction, as she prefers to leech knowledge, power, resources from anyone she feels a need towards. I'm usually seen conversing with clan members and even have one as a personal guard, does that make my character anti omni-tek? By no means, and I'll tell you why, she feels that omni-tek as it stands is just a worthless figurehead being manipulated by the ICC so she has little to no respect for it's laws and in fact is trying to liberate omni-tek. Anyway back to the point I was making, it's often difficult to etch out roleplay when many around you choose simply not to, and yes we all wonder why non roleplayers play roleplaying games. I do feel that more steps should be taken to give everyone a sense of reality in the game, players kill guards, yes there should be a penalty. it would have to be something that deters such action, perhaps taking out fines from said player, perhaps something like taking their murder weapon away from them, if they don't have a weapon on them maybe confiscate their suit of armor.

Another idea is that when a person commits a crime, they go through, "rehabilitation" a result of this would be sort of like rez shock, where their abilities are lowerd dramatically for an extended period of time, perhaps 72 real hours. I think the rez shock thing would be easy to code in because rez shock is already a part of the game, they'd simply have to extend the time it lasts. Just a couple of random ideas.
    "Did I tell you that you could speak?....then why are you still talking?."

Originally posted by Nevver
    Okay, here's a deal for you - don't ***** when players expect you to be IC at the clubs and I won't ***** about you being OOC in the clubs. Next time a player calls you a scumbag clanner and tells you to piss off, just ignore them.
    What do you think I've been doing Ignore is my best friend heh heh.

Post White Knight Is here!

This is what is planned! (the ball is already rolling)

Please Read:

Title: High Courts Of Justice

Judiciary System.
    I have created an organisation called The High Courts Of Justice, you ask whats all this going to be about?, well let me tell you.
    This organisation was commissioned by Omni Teks Headquarters to curb the ever growing crime in our cities and outer territories.

The organisation will be made up of judges and bailiffs.
    Lowest title judge : Justice Of Peace
    Mid range Judge: High Court Judge
    Top Judge: Supreme High Court Justice

How it will all work, we will enforce law and order throughout Omni Tek by using a fair un-biased trial system. There will be a maximum of six judges sitting on the bench at one time, any person that is found to be braking laws in Omni teks territory, will fall under our jurisdiction, that goes for clans omni and neutrals.
    The case will be brought before the court with the defence party and the prosecution party.
    the information on the matter in hand will be heard from both parties in an un-biased manner regardless of affiliation. all court hearings will be logged and then a decision will be made by the bench.
    Each Judge will have a law handbook which he/she will be given that is in accordance with the TIR ACCORD.
    Hearing will be public and also held in neutral territory.
    We also have the power to issue warrants of arrest and warrants to search premesis.
    E.g Omni Pol want to search the Rompa Bar for drugs, then they could come to us first for a warrant. players caught with drugs can be brought before the court. Punishment Examples
    Fines
    seizing of weapons

This will be a Role Playing Court System, which means it will open up a new avenue for all us role players out there.

Instead of moaning about it why dont we all get together and do something ourselves, at the end of the day its the players that make this game fun!
    Tikon - Forever an MP. Rest in peace my dear old friend.

Remember, Life is a Journey, Not a Destination, So enjoy the ride..

Unhappy Ahh, but...

Despite how much Sivy has made himself about as popular as mud on these boards for his hypocracy, he is right.

...I can be OOC where ever and when ever I want to be and there is not one thing any one can do about it...
    This goes beyond OOC. This extends to anything. There is no justice because there is no threat that we as players can provide except for insults, whines or (at worst) /ignore.

However, we are not going to be given power to punish, as the possibilities for abuse of such power are rather high.

No-one can force anyone to RP. Anyone can call people losers for RP just by typing. The easy cure: /ignore and pretend that person isn't there.

However, I once again remind you all that you are - by being a character on Rubi-Ka - forced to RP at least a little. The guards are not going to listen to you whine that you're OOC when they fry you in hot plasma. The guys on the other side in a 25% zone aren't going to listen to you whine that you're OOC when they put a bullet in your head.

If you don't want to mission, don't want to PvP, don't want to hunt and do want to chat, then it's called courtesy to do so somewhere other than one of the most popular Omni-Tek RP locations. Of course, if you want to be a jerk and are doing it to make the RPers angry, then go ahead and keep doing it. After all, some people can only get their kicks through grief play.
    Crazynotion - Atrox Bureaucrat, RK1

Formerly posted as Mechanita

OOC: Well I suppose we've to do the best of the situation.

IC: "Rubi-Ka belongs to the people, not the company." (Cathiryn spotted a sign at a outpost in Athen Shire)

Re: White Knight Is here!

Originally posted by Tikon
    This is what is planned! (the ball is already rolling)

Please Read:

Title: High Courts Of Justice

Judiciary System.
    I have created an organisation called The High Courts Of Justice, you ask whats all this going to be about?, well let me tell you.
    This organisation was commissioned by Omni Teks Headquarters to curb the ever growing crime in our cities and outer territories.

The organisation will be made up of judges and bailiffs.
    Lowest title judge : Justice Of Peace
    Mid range Judge: High Court Judge
    Top Judge: Supreme High Court Justice

How it will all work, we will enforce law and order throughout Omni Tek by using a fair un-biased trial system. There will be a maximum of six judges sitting on the bench at one time, any person that is found to be braking laws in Omni teks territory, will fall under our jurisdiction, that goes for clans omni and neutrals.
    The case will be brought before the court with the defence party and the prosecution party.
    the information on the matter in hand will be heard from both parties in an un-biased manner regardless of affiliation. all court hearings will be logged and then a decision will be made by the bench.
    Each Judge will have a law handbook which he/she will be given that is in accordance with the TIR ACCORD.
    Hearing will be public and also held in neutral territory.
    We also have the power to issue warrants of arrest and warrants to search premesis.
    E.g Omni Pol want to search the Rompa Bar for drugs, then they could come to us first for a warrant. players caught with drugs can be brought before the court. Punishment Examples
    Fines
    seizing of weapons

This will be a Role Playing Court System, which means it will open up a new avenue for all us role players out there.

Instead of moaning about it why dont we all get together and do something ourselves, at the end of the day its the players that make this game fun!
    ((I like this idea! You should repost this as a new thread so other will see it!))

Like I told you last night - we don't deal White Trash and you'll find nothng in Baboons! But you'd still better have a warrant!
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»

Also known as...
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

Nice idea

I think the court thing is a really good idea, at least for those players willing to roleplay it and stick to it. It'd be a really good idea to get this notion out, and if you need some help organizing it let me know (I studied some law in school) and people generally know my character is neutral to faction so she'd always be unbiased.
    "Did I tell you that you could speak?....then why are you still talking?."

Just my 2 credits:

because most of the time when I'm in Rompa's I am OOC.
    That's nice. This is an MMORPG. If you're going to just chat OOC, there are these things called AIM and ICQ. Use them. Don't waste my time because you're "OOC".

If saying you are "OOC" was some reasonable excuse to have events characters leave you alone, then more people would use it just to escape the consequences of their actions, which, to put it simply, is lame.
    Aaron Simons Harkonnen

By the way, the court system idea? Very interesting. It's a good idea to push, for sure.
    Aaron Simons Harkonnen

OOC:

The other day (in RL) I watched my boss's boss humiliate a fellow employee in public. This is not uncommon behavior for that person, he's one of those folks that gets a chuckle out of making people squirm. Had the employee in question popped him one, part of me would have cheered.

Clearly, I do not like him, his actions, or what he "stands for". Just as clearly, I'm not ready to abandon a well-paying job to satisfy my idealistic cravings.

On Rubi-Ka, Omni-Tek is "the boss". I think, given human nature, it is entirely plausible that many OT employees disagree strongly with some of OT's actions and statements.

Remember the infamous comment "They're just Atroxes"? In my mind, OT parents all over Rubi-Ka spent that evening trying to explain the basic injustice in those words, while not going as far as outright sedition.

The Clans? Perhaps those are the bikers and bad boys of the future. It takes a certain attitude to quit a job, or split with a corporation, based on your ideals. And no doubt some of them could care less about "justice", and just see the Clans as a way to avoid too much scrutiny.

Not to say that guard-killers are in anyway RPing, I doubt strongly they are. But it would not be out of character, necessarily, for an OT employee to *want* to kill guards, or defend a clanner friend.

The comforts of our beautiful cities are very seductive when compared to a near-ghetto like Old Athen. Sometimes, comfort supercedes morality without erasing it.
    Last edited by Rogoff; Aug 5th, 2002 at 17:46:13.
    Rogoff AKA Mr. Brumble - 59 Omni Bureaucrat (RK2)
    Goodz 55 Fixer, (RK2)
    Goodzz 25 MP - Afrolicious, freaky and habit-forming

Mercinax: "/me casts afro containment field on Goodzz"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast