Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Community answers - part 5

Arrow

I agree, puting in place a mechanism for structured, team-based PvP should be considered high priority. It would give high level people something to do while we await Shadowlands.

Re: Update

Originally posted by Cz
    Daeem, nice suggestion. Dodge, Evade and Duck does allow people to avoid being hit.
    Cz, that is not true for the most part. The only things that are evadable are normal hits.

You are unable to avoid ALL specials and ALL Crits. They will hit 100% of the time. It's easy enough to test. Get a Fixer with GA and start Flinging him. Nothing may hit except the Flings and the crits.

Currently, the only way to avoid specials is with Parry and that only works with Melee.

If at one point you decide to make evade skills work on special attacks and crits, Alpha strikes wouldn't be such a scary thing. But unfortunatly, it's not the case.

Originally posted by Cz
    Shatai, adding bow clips and bow (and bow SA) buffs to my list.
    It's a start, at least

Originally posted by Cz
    [B]Spook, rats attack when frightened (and cornered), don't they?
    Trust me when I say that my Agent definitly are not trying to corner those rats while fleeing in sneak mission.
    They has rabis or something, since they are such a nasty buggers
    Troll Commando, doing the dirty work that need to be done.

Lightbulb Idea for apartment upgrades

While I definitely think the item limit should be raised (15 item limit seems reasonable, hopefully it could work without undue stress)... I think I have an easier solution to the apartment problem.

How feasible would it be to add for instance, a bed some chairs and a table to all of the apartments and simply make them static?

Perhaps some different floor layouts for different areas, but generally a few of the same basic necessity items. Granted these items would not be customizable, but would sure add a lot.

Adding static furniture to the apartments would still fall to the world builders, and thus not improve their lot.

Rather than put a suggestion here, I wrote one involving the mission-playfield generator and put it here.

Lightbulb Friday morning...

Lucid Flow, ah, yes, special attacks go past the defensive skills. Criticals are checked after you actually score a hit though, so defensive skills should stop hits with criticals just as much as hits without criticals.

Of course, when a hit is good enough to get through the defense, it might be just good enough to score a critical too. Not entirely sure how that calculation works, and pretty sure we're not gonna publish it. I'll ask about it, though, and flame a bit if it's not logical.

Adding the issue of special attacks vs defensive skills to my list.

Sean Roach, the idea of using the ACG system for missions for making apartments is in the plans too, but again requires a lot of work. I'll check on it though, as the idea is a superb one.

---

Ok, off to the Next Patch forum, then perhaps some long overdue swearing moderation. Beware!

Re: Friday morning...

Originally posted by Cz
    Not entirely sure how that calculation works, and pretty sure we're not gonna publish it.
    And that's what makes it so difficult to come up with really good suggestions. As long as we don't have the slightest inkling on how things are meant to work, it get's a wee bit problematic to come up with ideas and suggestions on how to improve the game. It's like target practice, blindfolded.

Sorry... you may disregard that statement... I just had to...

As for criticals (what I was really going to comment on)... isn't part of the nature of a critical hit that it bypasses defenses.
    I seem to recall from my meager PnP RPG experience that a critical roll on a to-hit meant you bullseyed on a soft/unprotected spot. I might be wrong tho'.
    Buford Hitokage Matt

Explorer 73% | Socializer 66% | Achiever 33% | Killer 26%
    -

Don't fear the night...
    fear the ones hiding in it.
    -

"Jesus is coming - Look busy"
    -

"Im not Uber. Im your common joe. Im level 178 and untitled. I never had a title and I never really cared whether I got one. All I really wanted was to have fun, learn new stuff and put my creativity to some use." - PhiliosPhreak

Re: Re: Update

Originally posted by Lucid Flow

Cz, that is not true for the most part. The only things that are evadable are normal hits.

You are unable to avoid ALL specials and ALL Crits. They will hit 100% of the time. It's easy enough to test. Get a Fixer with GA and start Flinging him. Nothing may hit except the Flings and the crits.

Currently, the only way to avoid specials is with Parry and that only works with Melee.

If at one point you decide to make evade skills work on special attacks and crits, Alpha strikes wouldn't be such a scary thing. But unfortunatly, it's not the case.
    Not true with regards to crits, its perfectly possible for agents to miss during 100% crit buff and it happens fairly often. Its not lag either I'm about 100% sure about that.

Originally posted by Giventofly/Nothinman
    reflect needs a looking at, it will balance soldiers and make the game better overall. now i know u dont want proffesion specific topics and this isnt really just an example.

A soldiers most powerful ability is his TMS, however more and more people are running around with an effective TMS (as you know through all the bracer whoo haaa) and even more are using Custom suppresors and nova flows at about 90% effectiveness, fixers are near 100% effectiveness with the soldier weapons.

this leaves a soldier fighting another class + that class has pretty much TMS and perhaps the same weapon/close to the same attack.

now besides soldiers, bracers are making mobs too easy. i have 100% energy reflect, to test something i was clan at the time and went to omni ent where there are lots of gaurds, got an HE and TMS'ed into about 8 gaurds. reflecting 100% dmg at them.

when TMS went down i was able to use heal stims to stay alive until nano shutdown was over, this after 15 minutes i had killed 12-15 omni gaurds without shooting them.

as well, people are VERY easily being able to tank the tarasque, the hardest mob in the game, because they have 72% melee reflect at all times, same with other "hard" mobs. mobs in missions are no longer a threat the game is a cakewalk if u have bracers and 2 minutes to get RRFE from that poor soldier whos "18 alpha strike" boils down to 1000 or so after all is said and done in pvp.

heh end of rant bye!
    OK so mobs are to easy with reflect? Can you solo a 50% mission at your lvl, I would be interested on seeing how you perform against a real mean bully.

As for bracers overpowered. No they are not they only protect against 1 damage type. You can tank Tarasque with bracers because he only does 1 type of damage. Now go try tank a command juggernaught with bracers alone. It doesnt work very well, because they dualwield with 2 different dmg types so you go down in seconds even with RRFE and TL 6 bracers. Only soldiers using TMS can tank those efficiently, which is 75% reflect against ALL dmg types which makes an enormous difference.

Bracers should stay they way they are and more professions than MAs should get the ablility to quickly change dmg type (through new fast equip weapons that are good). Bracers dont work well against MAs in PvP, wouldnt work well against soldiers either if they could change to another type of dmg in 2sec either. Why on earth do all good agent / soldier weapons do either projectile or energy damage?

Re: Re: Friday morning...

Originally posted by Hitokage

And that's what makes it so difficult to come up with really good suggestions. As long as we don't have the slightest inkling on how things are meant to work, it get's a wee bit problematic to come up with ideas and suggestions on how to improve the game. It's like target practice, blindfolded.

Sorry... you may disregard that statement... I just had to...

As for criticals (what I was really going to comment on)... isn't part of the nature of a critical hit that it bypasses defenses.
    I seem to recall from my meager PnP RPG experience that a critical roll on a to-hit meant you bullseyed on a soft/unprotected spot. I might be wrong tho'.
    It also makes it hard for players to figure out when something is broken.

And as for criticals, in this game, a critical hit is really a critical damage. Some PnP RPGs work in a similar fashion (my own rules system I used for a few years many moons ago worked a bit like this, and even in D&D, a called shot might be considered in a similar vein...), though most simplify the mechanics to give us the concept of a 'critical hit'.

Hitokage, I would guess the designers would like to get rid of alpha strikes too, just like the one-shot kills with Aimed Shot a while back, but it would be a big nerf, hence a big no-no. (Yes, we've done no-nos before. Maybe if we can replace the alpha strikes with something? But, it's not up for consideration at this time.)
    CZ, you are aware that alpha strike is the only way a soldier can win any pvp fight???

Since the problem with alpha is related more to all the other profession using it with their profession specific abilities on top, a way to balance that, would be to make certain special combos profession specific. Perhaps new profession specific combos. Would only make sense. (like maybe put a timer between specials, unique to every profession).

Scar, no, unfortunately, I'm not kidding at all. All professions get treated equally through the Professionals. If I'm going to start visiting specific threads because you post links to them, I'm gonna have "everybody" coming in here posting links for their profession's threads.
    Cz, I know I been harsh about this in the past, but since the professionals are in, at least on the soldier board, I only sa two (2) official post from them(post, not replies). 1 requesting information for a report, the other giving feedback of the report. And a standalone post by Tindish that they were as much in the dark as the rest of us.

How can we find this acceptable?? I would think that after a year, you would guess that your community needs constant updates and communication to be content.

Originally posted by MSag

OK so mobs are to easy with reflect? Can you solo a 50% mission at your lvl, I would be interested on seeing how you perform against a real mean bully.

As for bracers overpowered. No they are not they only protect against 1 damage type. You can tank Tarasque with bracers because he only does 1 type of damage. Now go try tank a command juggernaught with bracers alone. It doesnt work very well, because they dualwield with 2 different dmg types so you go down in seconds even with RRFE and TL 6 bracers. Only soldiers using TMS can tank those efficiently, which is 75% reflect against ALL dmg types which makes an enormous difference.

Bracers should stay they way they are and more professions than MAs should get the ablility to quickly change dmg type (through new fast equip weapons that are good). Bracers dont work well against MAs in PvP, wouldnt work well against soldiers either if they could change to another type of dmg in 2sec either. Why on earth do all good agent / soldier weapons do either projectile or energy damage?
    I seen a adventurer tank Juggs :P NO Tms
    - Yes I can solo 50% dif without using title 6 bracers
    - Soloing a RM always depends on specials success, if those goes wrong, you need to use strategy or run to loose LOS till you get tms again.

I also think reflect shields should be soldier only with a smaller version for other like they did for MA crits. Why? cause its the only things that can set us apart!
    Last edited by andertec; Aug 2nd, 2002 at 16:33:19.

Originally posted by andertec

I seen a adventurer tank Juggs :P NO Tms
    - Yes I can solo 50% dif without using title 6 bracers
    - Soloing a RM always depends on specials success, if those goes wrong, you need to use strategy or run to loose LOS till you get tms again.

I also think reflect shields should be soldier only with a smaller version for other like they did for MA crits. Why? cause its the only things that can set us apart!
    Adventurer cant heal himself against a jugg, if he had a doc healing him he can, yes but then he can probably tank T too. But the point is still there, the adv takes either 50% dmg from both attacks or 70 from one and 30 from the other, while a soldier only takes 5% dmg with bracers or 25 without. Ie TMS beeing twice or 10 times as effective for dmg reduction than bracers + RRFE against a juggernaught. Same thing applies in PvP and TMS, bracers are almost worthless against MAs.

What destroys PvP balance is first 50% dmg then on top of that they nerfed UVC because ppl whined. Well if you get your will about reflects ppl will just whine about your alpha and that will get nerfed too. FC need to get a vision about how this game is supposed to work and move it in that direction instead of just listening to this weeks board whining.

I dont believe you can kill a RM bully during the duration of TMS no matter what your specials hit for, these guys must have about 100k hp, your best alpha is what, 18k? So you depend upon cheesy tactics to survive the next 40sec, is that how this game is supposed to work?
    Last edited by Myga; Aug 2nd, 2002 at 19:28:55.

Not all Professionals Treated Alike

I'm afraid I have to side with the others here, even though my "soldier alt" is still in the high single digits, and just something I play around with when I get bored with taking two days to level.

I read all the replies to the Professionals questions. Of course I would; I write strategy guide articles for a hobby. The Soldier professionals answer list was the sorriest thing I have seen out of Funcom yet.

Doing this from memory, I seem to recall that Funcom acknowledged a few bugs, while claiming that all of them were news to them (how could they possibly be?), and offering not even the slightest idea as to when they were going to be fixed. Every specific suggestion was shot down. When asked, in light of this, how soldiers were going to be kept viable, the answer was "we have no plans regarding that at this time" or "we're still researching that" - fancy ways of saying, "Sorry, dude, we don't have a clue."

The NT one wasn't much better, if I recall correctly.
    Main Character: Tir County Sheriff Brad InfamousBrad Bradley, TCSD.
    Proud to be a Clansman since October 29475.
    Alternate characters? Yeah right, like I'm going to tell you.

Post About the Nano Cast animation bug

I have done some extensive testing on this, and it is like some people here have stated. It's possible to work around the bug by moving a bit during/after recharge. This breakes the animation, and a new nano (buff/AoE etc.) is castable immediately after the last one recharges.

However, the bug is still there, Cz (and others). So, in other words, if you don't move after casting nanos with total casting+recharge time less than ~2 secs, you won't be able to cast it until the animation is finished. (which reduces damage of time etc.)

As long as they're looking at clip sizes on bows you might have them consider grenade launchers as well (maxammo: 1).

An increased ammo capacity on pistol/grenade skill grenade launchers would actually give engineers something to live for.

By they way, why would a bow have a max ammo at all. It's a BOW, not a chukonu.

...all I'm saying is, see what a
    wonderful world it would be if only
    we would give it a chance.

-Louis Armstrong

Life is suffering.

-Buddha

The Past
    God: In comic format

Re: Friday morning...

Originally posted by Cz
    I would guess the designers would like to get rid of alpha strikes too, just like the one-shot kills with Aimed Shot a while back, but it would be a big nerf, hence a big no-no. (Yes, we've done no-nos before. Maybe if we can replace the alpha strikes with something? But, it's not up for consideration at this time.)
    How about giving the attacks for an Alpha Strike a caste time? Its unrealistic to just press a button as you have a Aimed Shot so you do great damage, so theres a time of aiming involved (the caste time for it). For Burst you have to change modes on the weapon, so that would of cause be a lot shorter "caste" time. Just an idea anyhow

Originally posted by Cz
    I can't imagine we would nerf the alpha strike without giving good compensation. (And for those feeling like jumping me with "well, you did it to us": People learn.) And the Designers have given no hint at even thinking about it now. I mentioned it only because somebody brought it up.
    I know you said people learn, but there are still the nerfs which you did before, which have never been looked at having something in compensation for...You are going to ask what? so how about the biggy. Range and the NT. Was it right some people hit for 120m, no of cause not...but I know myself was hitting for over 60m in my 40s (yes a long way but mobs still sure aggroed on me) and range was the NTs only true form of defense. Everyone knew that if the NT got into range of what they were fighting, the NT was dead...it was that simple.

Range was removed due to a problem with the engine supposidly not aggroing things along way away (well certain mobs still have the range, those plants are leathal if u get caught in range of a group of them), which is fine as these things need to be fixed...but there have been many ideas about compensation for this, the most promising being that of a blink/teleport spell, maybe even a random one which only works outdoors (since its where an NT was designed for) and would put the NT anywhere in the 40m range box...The NT's keep there range, it fits game mechanics, and it would be a new strategic movement for the prof with very little defense (and don't mention nulity as very few of us have it).

Originally posted by Cz
    Healing vs Damage in PvP
    No plans to change this it this time. Changing healing in PvP is a lot of work (way more than changing damage), and the damage cap will not be lifted, as we want PvP fights to last more than a couple of seconds
    An idea, and one which fits the current mechanics, and being one which would be "alterable" probably relatively easily is how you effected nanocost in PvP. Nanocost being double means that nanopool disappearsvery quickly...so if using this same system but with heals, where the heals nano cost was increased by x% (which could be altered depending on how it works), would limit the problems with healing, and only the few profs who can do it being imbalancing in combat.
    Major "Nyadach" Prabel
    Neutral and proud of it!

Back on topic here.

One more thing for your todo list Cz.
    When I fight MOB's thats knee deep in the Green Oz I do not get any XP, it goes even for rollerrats thats stands in it. If I then reatreate so the MOB stands on firm ground I do get the XP. It was not like this before, but has been so for the last month or so.

Is this delibrate? (Does not seem logical)
    Once a gimp, always a gimp

Originally posted by RealGunslinger
    Back on topic here.

One more thing for your todo list Cz.
    When I fight MOB's thats knee deep in the Green Oz I do not get any XP, it goes even for rollerrats thats stands in it. If I then reatreate so the MOB stands on firm ground I do get the XP. It was not like this before, but has been so for the last month or so.

Is this delibrate? (Does not seem logical)
    I think it was put in in 13.something as a way to stop lower levels getting xp by getting mobs trapped in slime/lava etc. Its annoying at times but it is easy enough to get them to move though.
    Major "Nyadach" Prabel
    Neutral and proud of it!

Yes, and before I notice that if a mob had been in the slime long enought to get "Substantial" dammange I would not get xp, but if I did most of it it would give me. But now I have notices on several occation the following:
    - Drag one out of the slime an finish him: You get xp.
    - Stand and fight him in the slime: You get NO xp.
    - Drag one from one of the room without xp into the slime and finish him of: You get NO xp.

Does not seem logical.
    It is not hard to drag them out, but with a pet it is a lot of attack/follow/attack and so on, and suddenly they agro on you and not the pet. It is irritating.
    Once a gimp, always a gimp

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast